PDA

View Full Version : Just found out about server, what class is needed most?

Vanessa
02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
My brother told me about this server the other day and basically convinced me to play it with him. He played EQ back when it came out, I was more into UO at that time. I don't know a whole lot about the game, but I have been playing MMO's for the passed 10 years, ever since middle school so I am sure I will learn quickly. My problem is, I am not really sure what to play?

I read over the different class's in the game and they pretty much look like most other MMO's, a Warrior tanks, a cleric heals and a rogue stabs things. But I was wondering, out of all the class's which is needed the most on this server? Which class is the least played or always wanted for groups? I have played almost every type of class through out difference games so weather its tanking, healing, dpsing etc. I don't have a problem doing, Im not that picky. I just want to play something that I know other people will want and need in groups, so that I will never really have a problem finding one.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Messianic
02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
You gotta play the class you like. Other than that, there are multiple classes that fit each role.

You wanna tank? Be a warrior/paladin/SK.

Wanna do a lot of melee damage? Rogue/Monk.

Wanna solo? Necro/Mage/Druid (and others)

Wanna heal? Be a cleric or shaman for Kunark.

Can't have too many clerics and tanks, really...Those are almost always the limiting factor for groups.

Vanessa
02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
How well do Warriors tank? I mentioned that to be my brother since most games I've played it seems like there is never enough tanks, too much DPS / heals. But he told me Warriors were bad, that they cant tank very well and I should be an SK or Pally instead if I wanted to tank. I don't like the idea of being Evil and KOS to places. So if I wanted to tank then it really be between Warrior or Pally. Which would you say is the better tank?

Messianic
02-22-2011, 10:29 PM
There are perks to each - both can keep aggro if they're equipped/played correctly.

Warriors don't suck at all - they're just a very narrow, specialized class. In a lot of tanking situations in terms of groups, paladins are better. Warriors are probably better overall as raid tanks.

And don't underestimate that hybrid exp penalty...

Vanessa
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Haha I am not even sure if I would make it to end game raiding content. Im more concerned with the leveling to max level and learning the game =). In that case, would you suggest Warrior or Pally? And yeah, I just read a post about Hybrids having some really bad exp penalties, doesnt sound very fun =(.

Messianic
02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Haha I am not even sure if I would make it to end game raiding content. Im more concerned with the leveling to max level and learning the game =). In that case, would you suggest Warrior or Pally? And yeah, I just read a post about Hybrids having some really bad exp penalties, doesnt sound very fun =(.

Yeah, Hybrid exp penalties will be here for at least another year (estimating Velious release date). If you want a tank you can level at a good pace, warrior would be it.

Vanessa
02-22-2011, 10:38 PM
What would you say are the top 3 under played class's on this server?

strupp
02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
#1 ranger

after that im not sure, it also depends on what lvls you are counting, alts etc.

would say
#2 rogue
#3 one of the 3 tanks (or maybe bards)

but i could be totally wrong here its hard to say and i couldnt find the list from a longer time ago

but overall you should play what sounds most fun for you

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Character_Classes

heres an overview on all classes with some explanation on what their job is etc.

Messianic
02-22-2011, 10:54 PM
#1 ranger

after that im not sure, it also depends on what lvls you are counting, alts etc.

would say
#2 rogue
#3 one of the 3 tanks (or maybe bards)

but i could be totally wrong here its hard to say and i couldnt find the list from a longer time ago

but overall you should play what sounds most fun for you

She asked which classes are NEEDED most. =P

skipdog
02-22-2011, 10:54 PM
As a player who has almost exclusively grouped to 25 since starting on this server 2 weeks ago, I would say that tank classes are easily the most sought after.

strupp
02-22-2011, 11:00 PM
She asked which classes are NEEDED most. =P

well.....yeah.....but....we...are...*sigh* :/

Vanessa
02-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Lol well both needed and least played =). Im surprised Rogue isn't played that much? In almost every MMO that I have played, Rogues are like main DPS class and there is usually TONS of them.

What are Bards like? Brother says there really hard to play, but are usually wanted for groups also?

jtaddei
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
i would suggest picking a class that would allow you to also learn the mechanics of how the game work without bogging you down with too many class mechanics. You know - only 1 degree of learning instead of multiple.

That said, playing a warrior - you wont have much to learn other than taunting mobs off of casters, calling the target for your exp group, and controlling your aggro if you aren't the best geared tank in the group.

Compared to say a bard where you will be doing it all (aside from tanking). As a bard you will need to know when and how the best way to: Heal, Crowd Control, DPS, buff your group, debuff the mob, juggle your weapons and instruments.

If you want to compare more apples to apples, learning to play a Shadow Knight and learning how everquest works compared to learning a warrior alongside the game will be a lot easier to go with the warrior. Wont have to worry about spells, mana, pets etc.

Just play what you want to play, I played a long time on live and sure getting a char to 50-60 is a long term marriage so you don't want to pick the wrong class/race, but that is what level 1-20 are for... you can get a good idea of whats in mind for your class if you get a class to level 10-20... and from what it sounds like you aren't in any rush to get to the end game.

Just my 2 cents... i play a wiz because my play style requires a lot of time I get up from my computer or play with a wiggly baby in my lap. Stand -> Nuke -> Sit -> Port people for money. Easy and fun at the same time.

edit: After reading your latest post ^^^, if i'm ever leading a group I will actively look for a bard because I know what they bring to the group. A well played bard will make a group exponentially better compared to say adding just another dps.

strupp
02-23-2011, 12:08 AM
well she said shes been playing MMOs for 10+ years, i dont think there will be that big of a problem learning a class, EQ isn that hard

sure some classes are harder to play and/or more annoying ;) but with most classes its fairly simple and easy to learn

most of the community is very nice and helpful to new players and will help with tips&tricks on how to play class X (+ im guessing the brother will help her a lot)

as for bards, bards are great and good bards are always wanted in a group, they are however one of the harder classes to begin with and (imo more importantly) very annoying to play if you just want to chill on some days.

as for rogues, as i said im so not sure on which classes are played least (except ranger because most people dont understand how much we bring to the table ;) )

rogues are great dps, quite easy to play, and only get better with Kunark. they are however completly useless as a solo-class, so unless youre planing on playing with your brother 80% of the time be prepared to sit around /lfg a lot hoping to find a group

Vanessa
02-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Bard sounds like a lot of fun being able to have so many buffs that other class's get, like haste, regen, mana regen etc. but after reading some on them and "twisting" it does sound like it could be pretty annoying to play lol. Are there no macros you can make to make doing all your buffs easier?

I am kind of between Bard and Warrior now =/. Im so indecisive lol. I usually just like to play what all my friends / guild needs because that way I am never really left solo or waiting to do things, there is always people who constantly need me for stuff. It seems like Bard and Warrior both share that, ughh FML lol.

nemethor
02-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Everquest has an amazing class system and there are a few classes in particular that are incredibly unique, interesting, challenging, enjoyable, and well thought out. Sure, they're a little bit more complex, but that's what makes them so amazing.

First of all, I would recommend starting with a class that has spells. The magic system in Everquest is phenomenal and basically unmatched in any MMORPG since. You don't want to miss out on it.

1. Enchanters
Everquest mobs are not like mobs in other MMORPGs. They're much more dangerous. They get pissed off really easily, are very social, and take much longer to kill than in your average MMORPG. It can take anywhere from thirty seconds to a minute or two for a full group to take down an even level mob even if its unnamed / not a boss mob. Think about it like this--every mob encounter in Everquest is like a boss encounter in another MMORPG. You can't kill any mobs in two hits. This make the game infinitely more strategic.

Enchanters are the masters of group strategy. They control the mobs, which as mentioned earlier, are extremely dangerous. You're playing with fire. Its dangerous as hell, but incredibly exciting and rewarding. In addition, they have an awesome spell line that is incredibly diverse and interesting and includes some of the best buffs in the game (mana regen at lvl 29 will insure that you will never have a hard time finding a group). You won't find their like in any other MMORPG. They're also currently one of the most powerful classes end-game.

2. Bards

Difficult? Yes. Diverse? Engaging? Exciting? Challenging? Rewarding? Unique? Absolutely. Bards are jacks of all trades and have an amazing and varied spell system that is unlike any other class in Everquest or any other MMORPG for that matter. Playing a bard is like playing a totally different game.

3. Druids

Another incredibly unique and interesting class with a diverse spell set, druids are one of only two classes with teleportation spells (the other being wizards), which will help you explore the vast world of Norrath. It takes hours to get from one side of the map to the other without teleportation.

I wouldn't recommend warriors because they're too simple, especially in comparison to warriors in other MMORPGs. You receive very few abilities that can be activated in combat. Regeneration is incredibly slow. Soloing is not an option.

Kender
02-23-2011, 01:18 AM
don't let the xp penalty sway your decision if you are wanting to group. the group will share your burden.

the easiest tank by a long way to learn is the SK. they get a spell at level 9 that you will use for agro generation at level 50. in addition, normally that is the only thing you need to maintain agro on that mob

as for being kos to everywhere, it's all relative. some places you go the evils are liked and not the goods. alot of the time it's actually better to be evil because then you can kill all the good guards for xp and loot

warriors are the least likely of the 3 to be able to solo. paladins can heal a little which helps with downtime. SK's later on can fear kite which means they take less damage.

Icaro
02-23-2011, 02:31 AM
Tanks.

Hasbinbad
02-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Vanessa, if that IS your real name, if you know nothing about EQ do this in this order: play an EZ-Mode mage to 50; make a fortune; join a good guild; twink whatever class you want to raid with; ????; profit.

tj218
02-23-2011, 07:41 AM
I have only played a Rogue. Great class, however soloing is impossible.

I may create a Paladin or SK to allow me to solo when I have trouble finding groups.

The one thing about melee classes is they are very gear dependent, thus they will require significant plat to keep them properly equipped for their level.

Folksie
02-23-2011, 09:18 AM
I've been levelling through teens in some groups some solo and would say:

1) Clerics - just edging out tanks purely because a group can just about get by with a ranger/bard/monk tanking if no plate-wearer is available, but healing is a necessity and there is a big gap between healing power of clerics vs druid/shaman.

2) Warrior/Pal/SK - a good/well-geared tank makes a group's life a *lot* easier, and these seem to be underplayed quite significantly relative to other classes.

3) Enchanter - just because good CC is vital to a well-functioning group in EQ - as Nemethor mentioned in detail. They're number 3 in list because they seem quite well-represented at the moment.

In terms of 'learning', i think with your MMO experience you shouldn't struggle with any class. However I would think carefully about picking a 'hybrid' class because of the xp penalty and you will find EQ levelling slow as it is compared to other recent MMO's.

Messianic
02-23-2011, 09:30 AM
play an EZ-Mode mage to 50

Should be

play a mage to 50

FTFY :)

Vanessa
02-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Vanessa, if that IS your real name, if you know nothing about EQ do this in this order: play an EZ-Mode mage to 50; make a fortune; join a good guild; twink whatever class you want to raid with; ????; profit.

Lol why wouldn't it be my real name? Oh right, that whole girls don't exist on the interwebz thing? lol >_>.

A Mage is actually what my brother suggested to me, he said its super easy you basically just send pet in, and nuke when its under 30%. It sounds like a good starting class but, I heard there are tons and tons of them on this server because they are so great at soloing. Also I am guessing that since there are tons of them/solo well, they won't be needed / looked for very often in groups so Ill be stuck playing alone most of the time =(. I also heard that they are getting nerfed soon in the next patch? =/.

Spewys
02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Tank it!!! You will Never have a problem getting a group!!

50 war ---- Spewys Dutchmaster ---- Peace Pipe

strupp
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Go play Bard or War if youre inbetween them anyway

there are some kind of macros to help with twisting but its nothing compared to /melody, + to be really versatile it helps if you do your twisting by hand

in the end its kinda like the new-gen MMOs with their skills

the good thing is you can see if youre ok with twisting at lvl 4 since you got 4 songs by then you can try out twisting them for some time without dropping one :)

if you dont like it at all, you can still start a new char

Rhodes
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
I ultimately chose the Wizard class because of several things. For one, there aren't many. I would love to be a necro or mage for ease of soloing and farming plat/items for twinks, but there's so many already. Also the usefulness of the ability to teleport just makes the game for me. In EQ there are no hearthstones every 15 minutes and superfast flying mounts to zoom you around the continents. Travel is slow and painful, and so are corpse runs. Plus, I like helping folks, so being able to teleport someone on a corpse run is nice.

nemethor
02-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Reasons not to play a mage:
1. They're a dime a dozen
2. Their playstyle is insanely repetitive and boring. Send pet. Heal pet. Nuke a little bit. Changes a little bit end game but its a change for the worse.
3. You have to resummon/buff your pet each time you zone.
4. Everyone hates mages.

Personally, I'd recommend an enchanter. Cleric would be my next suggestion, or druid if you want the option to solo.

Hasbinbad
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Lol why wouldn't it be my real name? Oh right, that whole girls don't exist on the interwebz thing? lol >_>.

A Mage is actually what my brother suggested to me, he said its super easy you basically just send pet in, and nuke when its under 30%. It sounds like a good starting class but, I heard there are tons and tons of them on this server because they are so great at soloing. Also I am guessing that since there are tons of them/solo well, they won't be needed / looked for very often in groups so Ill be stuck playing alone most of the time =(. I also heard that they are getting nerfed soon in the next patch? =/.
I didn't suggest that you play it for keeps. I suggested to play it so that you can afford to twink out whatever character you want to end up with. Levelling up a hybrid or dps or tank without any knowledge of the game can be somewhat daunting if you don't know anything about EQ, and if you get 30 levels in and decide that class is not for you, yer screwed. IMHO learn the game while lining your pockets. Mages can solo gear/money camps with EASE, and when yer done with that mage, you will be rich enough to buy a full set of gear for whatever class you observe in your travels that you really want to play (you'll have had time to observe each class by then first hand). With that twink gear, you can level up your CHOSEN class much easier: people will want you more in groups; you will have a better idea of what to do; you won't die getting to camps as much; you won't die in groups as much; you will be able to afford your spells..

It will also be nice to have a 50 mage ready to be levelled to 60 for nifty ae groups to get kunark cash and as a coth tunnel for your guild (ask your brother).

Mages are super easy to play, you make hella money, and you will be able to observe others since you don't do anything but /pet attack and /cast 1.

DO IT. DO IT NOW.

skipdog
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I would recommend against a solo class if you want to maximize your fun level!!

You don't need to make a solo class so that you can twink a new character...

Playing an untwinked character isn't as hard as some are making it out to be.

Nobody needs a twinked character in their party. It just isn't necessary and you will get groups and be just fine. I've never been in a group that rejected somebody because they weren't twinked.

Dantes
02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Read any one of the other 5,000 threads about what classes are "needed most."

hateshadow
02-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Forget the whole twink idea or to make cash and all that.
Play the class that looks the most useful to you and not a class trying to gather items for another class.
It's not hard to start out as a class that can not solo, I did it, so can you do it!

Plus, it took me about a year to level my first character to 50, so if you play only a few times a week like me and decide to pick a mage to farm items for your next "real" character, it might take you a while before you actually begin to play the class you want to play

Vanessa
02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
If Rogues are such an easy class to play, and are such good DPS / addition to groups, why are one of the least played class's? Is it because they cant solo?

Also, someone earlier mentioned they played a Wizard for traveling and relaxed play, could someone elaborate on that a little more? I mean, the relax game play part. Do Wizards in this game just nuke and sit? Also, are they able to solo?

Oh and another thing, my brother told me he's got some gold, well plat I guess is the currency in this game, anyway he said he will be able to give me a few items and money for whatever class I choose so I guess it wont be too rough starting off. Im guessing melee class's would benefit much more from twink items then a caster?

jtaddei
02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Also, someone earlier mentioned they played a Wizard for traveling and relaxed play, could someone elaborate on that a little more? I mean, the relax game play part. Do Wizards in this game just nuke and sit? Also, are they able to solo?

as for relaxed play... during soloing it's a little more attention involved especially if you want to quad. Unless you have jboots you're going to need a sow provider. As for grouping in dungeons etc yeah it's pretty laid back. Nuke when the mob is at 80% and 20% and sit down and read a book.

Right?

shuklak
02-23-2011, 10:20 PM
as for relaxed play... during soloing it's a little more attention involved especially if you want to quad. Unless you have jboots you're going to need a sow provider. As for grouping in dungeons etc yeah it's pretty laid back. Nuke when the mob is at 80% and 20% and sit down and read a book.

Right?
are sow potions available on this server?

Rhodes
02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
If Rogues are such an easy class to play, and are such good DPS / addition to groups, why are one of the least played class's? Is it because they cant solo?

I think it's because people do not want to play a melee character that isn't twinked with 2 good weapons and a haste belt. My twinked to hell caster nukes for the same damage as the new player in silk. But you can't really say the same about the warrior dualing yaks and the warrior dualing rusty weapons.

Auchae
02-23-2011, 10:51 PM

Oh and another thing, my brother told me he's got some gold, well plat I guess is the currency in this game, anyway he said he will be able to give me a few items and money for whatever class I choose so I guess it wont be too rough starting off. Im guessing melee class's would benefit much more from twink items then a caster?

If you play a rogue up to about 20 or so, you will understand why. It gets increasingly more frustrating the more you play. Quite limited in what they can do. Must have a group to level. Not very sought after for a group. Traveling to different places is a pita. One of my favorite classes, but you're gonna want to make some friends for constant groupage.

Vanessa
02-24-2011, 12:11 AM
I think it's because people do not want to play a melee character that isn't twinked with 2 good weapons and a haste belt. My twinked to hell caster nukes for the same damage as the new player in silk. But you can't really say the same about the warrior dualing yaks and the warrior dualing rusty weapons.

Yeah that is kind of what I figured, twinking a caster would probably only add more mana / hp, not much dmg since there isnt a "spell dmg" stat in this game right? Like every lvl 50 wizard does the same dmg nuke as every other?

alWald0
02-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I play a druid. They can solo, but not like a mage, and are fun to play. Kiting may be repetitive, but its fun to run around killing something that is tougher then you.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
02-24-2011, 02:11 AM
If you play a rogue... Not very sought after for a group.

WTF?

Hasbinbad
02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Vanessa - if that IS your real name - don't listen to these numbskulls. Play a mage. Learn the game. THEN decide your class. Don't jump in to some class coz it looks cool and get 20 or 30 levels in (a very large time commitment) before you decide it's not for you. This game is unforgiving. It is not EZ mode like wow. While you learn the basics of the mechanics and the classes, you may as well make some money and develop a worthwhile utility alt. THEN once your feet are wet, choose whatever class you want to main.

It sounds like you wanna run a rogue, make a barb - stats into sta, rest into str.

kthxbyela~

Ledzepp02
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM
I was told by several people: "oh man you shouldn't have made a monk as your main, play a mage so you can farm gear to twink a monk! That weight issue is going to kill you leveling."

I essentially didnt care about looting anything while leveling to 50, even as my first toon. I spent maybe 150p for a full set of wu's by level 17 (farmed all of the silks myself while xp'ing/leveling FD/sneak/sense heading/etc on spiders). I brewed the heady kiolas myself, and essentially paid for the viscous mana + tip for the tailor.

Aside from 150p spent for armor, I eventually saved up money from leveling in highkeep, looting swords off guards, to pay for two 55hp/5ac rings. At 50, I farmed diamondine earrings.

TL;DR: Play what you like, not what the server might have a demand for, you will regret your choice a lot more if you play by the needs of the server.

Goobles
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Vanessa - if that IS your real name - don't listen to these numbskulls. Play a mage. Learn the game. THEN decide your class. Don't jump in to some class coz it looks cool and get 20 or 30 levels in (a very large time commitment) before you decide it's not for you. This game is unforgiving. It is not EZ mode like wow. While you learn the basics of the mechanics and the classes, you may as well make some money and develop a worthwhile utility alt. THEN once your feet are wet, choose whatever class you want to main.

It sounds like you wanna run a rogue, make a barb - stats into sta, rest into str.

kthxbyela~

Note: He is a senior member.

Hasbinbad
02-24-2011, 07:58 AM
I essentially didnt care about looting anything while leveling to 50, even as my first toon. I spent maybe 150p for a full set of wu's by level 17 (farmed all of the silks myself while xp'ing/leveling FD/sneak/sense heading/etc on spiders). I brewed the heady kiolas myself, and essentially paid for the viscous mana + tip for the tailor.
The way you say "essentially" twice in a paragraph makes me think that you sound like the per se vampire kid from south park irl..

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/south_park/episode_thumbnails/s12e14_480.jpg

Ledzepp02
02-24-2011, 08:40 AM
The way you say "essentially" twice in a paragraph makes me think that you sound like the per se vampire kid from south park irl..

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/south_park/episode_thumbnails/s12e14_480.jpg

I cared about looting but restrained myself to keep ac, and i threw out 150p, essentially, because the component cost was far less but i'm guessing what I tipped that day. Also, it's fucking late give me a break lol.
per se

runlvlzero
02-24-2011, 11:21 AM
How well do Warriors tank? I mentioned that to be my brother since most games I've played it seems like there is never enough tanks, too much DPS / heals. But he told me Warriors were bad, that they cant tank very well and I should be an SK or Pally instead if I wanted to tank. I don't like the idea of being Evil and KOS to places. So if I wanted to tank then it really be between Warrior or Pally. Which would you say is the better tank?

Warriors are great, but your gonna have to be patient with allot of people who just don't understand it as a class in your groups.