PDA

View Full Version : How do you research what an item is worth?!

Redex
09-09-2017, 04:08 PM
I want to understand these websites better, and need all your help!!

1. Everquest toolkit app - this shows me auctions shouted in EC tunnel, but it's like 15 hours old. And it just doesn't work that well, does anyone use this and why, it's basically useless as far as I can see. Am I missing something?

2. Ahungry - http://ahungry.com/ - I think this is the website used on your normal PC that is synced with the app? And when I use this site on my computer, it shows me only SOME (very few) of all the auctions hat went brought the game itself. An example is, I was in the tunnel for quite a few nights and watched a handful of "Staff of the Dreaded Gaze" or "Loam Encrusted Lined Shoes" that never appeared on the website! And I would even /auction things that never appeared (and I checked days afterwards)... so this site isn't all that reliable... do I have an outdated browser? I have checked from 3 separate computers and it seems to be the same problem.

3. P99tunnel.com - same issues as above.

4. Wiki - obviously this does not include live feed or ways to find all the shouts... i don't know how it gathers it data, but it's also incomplete...

There was an old site that was shut down for whatever reason that worked GREAT!!! Why did it go away? Pretty ridiculous.

This makes no sense to me and I was wondering what the deal was. If you much more knowledges individuals could enlighten me, I would be greatful. Also, am I. Missing a site? Is there a better way?

Thanks!!!

Izmael
09-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Ask in guildchat.

Baler
09-09-2017, 07:27 PM
http://ahungry.com/eqauctions
Search the forums, specifically EC tunnel section.
Check the wiki for a auction tracker on the item page

These 3 things will get you a good ballpark value.

It's a double edged sword not having an auction house or bazzar.

Swish
09-09-2017, 07:40 PM
EC fat cats overprice items knowing this is how people look for value on them. Personally I'd camp as much of the stuff you need yourself if time allows.

fash
09-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Search logs for WTB/WTS prices.

You could search trading forums too, but that'd take longer.

Baler
09-09-2017, 09:00 PM
EC fat cats overprice items knowing this is how people look for value on them. Personally I'd camp as much of the stuff you need yourself if time allows.

Getting items as a drop is far, far more rewarding than buying them for sure. And you get a story to tell on how you obtained it.

My rule of thumb is buy low, sell high. Yeah I know,.. nothing special. Low level flipper mentality but it's done me good for even buying EC upgrades.
9/10 it takes longer to buy an item at a reasonable price than it would have taken to go get it myself. Sitting in EC is not fun and the high risk of dealing with people who may be, special, isn't fun. Add on top of that trying to read EC auction trade spam.

I use gina to search for item names and do an audio msg. in the past when gearing alts I have alt tab'ed out of EQ and do other things. Then if the audio plays I tab over to check. I don't sit in ec and sell things or flip, frig that noise.

---
IF PEOPLE RAN THE SOFTWARE... Ahungry tracker would be up to date.
I have run the software and can confirm it updates the site.
http://ahungry.com/eqauctions

The auction logger works by having the p1999 gaming community upload logs from their local log file (turned on by typing /log in game) and running this program here:
Auction Logger (Windows)
Auction Logger (GNU/Linux)
Auction Logger Shell Script (GNU/Linux or MAC)

Also get on ahungry's case about adding missing items. :)

Redex
09-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Thank you guys!

Lhancelot
09-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Just ask me, I will tell you what an item is worth any time you need up to date and accurate prices.

Swish
09-10-2017, 01:28 AM
Accurate prices set by fat cats aren't accurate prices. The best thing you can do OP is track prices yourself, the highs and lows...just be careful not doing it routinely or you'll be on here like an iksar projecting the future price of an item based on the release date of a server that may or may not ever exist ^^

Lojik
09-10-2017, 05:41 AM
shnickusaurus very knowledgeable ask him

Swish
09-10-2017, 05:54 AM
shnickusaurus very knowledgeable ask him

Player: "What's the price on {Item X} ?"

Schnickschwasashus: "Whatever I want to make it, and the other fat cats back me if I want to put it up! hahaha! You can't lower it if we own most of what's in circulation!"

Player: "But that's.."

Schnickschwasashus: "Oh you'll pay, you'll ALL pay! hehehehe"

(dramatization of EC thinking)

Lobus
09-10-2017, 09:12 AM
go here and load your logs to update the wiki http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:AuctionTracker

fadetree
09-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Due to Swish's overblown hatred of EC, his 'dramatization of EC thinking' misses by a mile. I take it you were asleep in econ class that day, swish. First off, people don't HAVE to buy gear. They WANT to buy gear. If you want what you want right f'ing now, without having to actually hunt it yourself, you are probably going to have to pay a premium. Hunt it yourself, or have patience and watch for a good price, or pay a premium. That's how the world works. If there is a secret cabal of sellers that all cooperate to keep an item price high and miraculously never decide to undercut each other, the go get it yourself, like they are doing. You can research how well that works historically, and the answer is it doesn't. Ask OPEC why oil is dirt cheap now, for instance.
Even the dreaded 'fat cats' want to sell stuff, and eventually the price will come down. The other side of the coin is that without EC you wouldn't even have the option to get what you want, or sell what you want, in a convenient manner. If a seller wants to actually sell something, they will have to have a price that people will pay, or it won't sell. If an item is moving at what you think is an inflated price, then your issue is with the BUYERS, not the sellers.
Things are worth what people will pay for them, period. You can research what people have been paying lately, but only you can decide if that price is what you are willing to accept. Items have no intrinsic price apart from what people are willing to pay.