PDA

View Full Version : Necro/Mage yea I know - sorry

Damaja
02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm planning on coming to P99 myself. Not sure about what to play. I plan on Soloing mostly since my play times can be weird at times but I am stuck on the two top choices.

yes yea /sigh

Necro vs Mage

I am thinking from past experience the Mage is gonna be so much easier to level than a Necro. I have never really played a Necro much .... mostly Mages so I know more on them than Necros. I dunno, what would you guys suggest from the two classes? I have never went past the lower 50's on Live, so many years ago that I played. I have never been to the Planes either.

Between the two pets of the two classes, how are they at soling?

I want to solo mostly, once 50 I am sure I'll group.
I want to be able to easily make cash to support myself.
I want to be useful at 50 - not sure which of the two are most useful.

Suggestions?

DevGrousis
02-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Well Kunark is about to drop on us in a few weeks, and with Kunark comes a hell of a change to the Mage. The fire pet goes from a beastly tank with monk dps and a DS, to a wimpy little fire wizard lol, so i'd say just purely based on that, Nec might be the better choice.

shuklak
02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Well Kunark is about to drop on us in a few weeks, and with Kunark comes a hell of a change to the Mage. The fire pet goes from a beastly tank with monk dps and a DS, to a wimpy little fire wizard lol, so i'd say just purely based on that, Nec might be the better choice.
are mages effected retroactively or just from 51 and up? I was going to recommend to my friend to play a mage because they are great to level up at least atm....

Damaja
02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
interesting, I would love to hear more from others as well.

One thing I thought of, with this Kunark expac coming, this should free up a lot of the classic zones ... making my leveling up a lot easier right? I figure everyone and there brother will be in Kunark.

garyogburn
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Mages are completely worthless without their pet. EQ isnt very forgiving when it comes to pets. They are op in classic, but they sure arent in Kunark.

Necro can solo better than a mage while having the utility to be useful to a group. While their pets arent as good as a mages, they more than make up for it with their vast arsenal of abilities.

Unless you are crazy enough to get the mage epic, definitely go necro.

feanan
02-23-2011, 11:27 PM
mage fire pet just sucks 51+, i believe the lower level ones stayed the same?

as far as soloing in kunark, i remember a mage friend of mine always dying, and a necro friend of mine who always used to fear kite to great effect. hehe

soup
02-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Unless you are totally sure you want to be a mage, you'd probably enjoy necro more. A LOT more versatility, more efficient, more abilities, more tools, etc.

It's pretty much like this: if you play a necro, you give up a little bit of pet strength and a little bit of nuking strength to gain feign death, UD charm, UD lull, self mana regen buff that is equal to or better than clarity, fear, snares, DOTs, heals, twitch, hour long levitate + UD breathing, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Just FD alone makes it no contest for me.

OH, and lifetaps, how could I forget to list lifetaps haha

shuklak
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM
wow I had no idea mages turned so poor with kunark. right now all you read is how great mages are...

nemethor
02-24-2011, 12:06 AM
FORGET mages and necros. If you want to play the most overpowered class in classic, get from 1-60 in a jiffy, and have no trouble finding groups, there one and only one choice: RANGER.

Auchae
02-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Kunark mobs have a vast increase in strength while mage pets after 50 become more balanced, which makes them weaker. It should have always been like that imo..

Knuckle
02-24-2011, 12:09 AM
quit being a pussy and role necro, their better in every way and can faction farm: Charasis, Karnors Castle, and Chardok.

gnomishfirework
02-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Mage epic pet is $$$$ though. Duck stick is most embarrassing epic.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
02-24-2011, 02:08 AM
If you are only willing to play a pet class gtfo. Most real players just have a pet class to keep up with the joneses.

Damaja
02-24-2011, 06:46 PM
If you are only willing to play a pet class gtfo.

Very Mature, Thanks

to the others, I appreciate the replies and have decided to go Necro. Look forward to seeing everyone in game soon.

maegi
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM

No one seems to mention the mage epic pet and yes I know it's gonna be a while after Kunark comes out before we see epics but that thing is a beast.

Rickey
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
play a necro ... too many mages around and yeah we "suck "after kunark . /grin

Psionide
02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
mages and necros are about the same theres no more mages than their are necros.

Also, some of the garbage people spew about classes they prolly never played before is pretty funny.

Thetan
02-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Having played both and with the expectation of soloing a lot totally favors necro.

I've personally been waiting for Kunark to come out to play Iksar necro. Played Gnome necro on live and when Kunark came around, I was sooooo jealous of Iksar!