PDA

View Full Version : Name Holding policies

mastersapper
09-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Is there some kind of name holding policy or will there ever be? For inactive or unused accounts just holding names?

I was trying to create a character, and it was honestly hilarious how many names are taken.

Going through a dictionary and thesaurus just trying random words was pretty funny to see how many people already tagged it.

Im just imagining accounts full of level 1 characters named every kind of fruit and vegetable that exists and as many fantasy characters possible.

Its actually quite impressive.

Baler
09-24-2017, 11:32 AM
You're allowed to petition asking if a name can become available. Staff will check if it's just an empty level 1 holding the name.
This isn't talked about much and I'm sure staff don't want it advertised. There is already enough on their plate(s).

It's not necessarily a bad thing for players above level 5. How do you know if a player is going to return. It would look bad on the server if their character lost their name while they were gone. I'm sure you'd be upset if that happened.

But yeah there needs to be a purge and they need to fully enforce the naming policy. These two things go hand in hand.

loramin
09-24-2017, 11:35 AM
First off, in my opinion if you name your character after a fruit, vegetable, or fantasy character you have no imagination and shouldn't be playing a fantasy RPG. But then again, the fact that there are so many of those names means that lots of people disagree with me.

In any event, Blue has been around a long time, and characters are almost never deleted, so it's to be expected that many popular names are taken. Just make a character with an original name for now, and when Green (someday) comes out you may well be able to name your dark elf "Drizzt".

Pokesan
09-24-2017, 11:36 AM
petition for floppz or use the generator like an adult

tough choice

username17
09-25-2017, 05:19 AM
Oh man those random names are terrible.

Here's my source of Character names:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities

Use it well. Note, most of the good ones are taken... by me.

Mead
09-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Your name is the name of an Antihistamine... I'm not sure you can tell people that they have no imagination when your character is named after an over the counter medicine...

This made me smile

xtraball
09-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Tomato or Propofol... which is more original ??

xtraball
09-25-2017, 08:41 AM
I have to say that all my toons names are generated.
Aaemo doesn't mean that I like emo music
Borbama is not a Obama-bashing Troll

Lhancelot
09-25-2017, 09:30 AM
But yeah there needs to be a purge and they need to fully enforce the naming policy. These two things go hand in hand.

They should purge all names if the character has not been logged in for 3 years or more. If said person logs in after 3 years and finds their wonderful name gone, too bad.

Jimjam
09-25-2017, 09:38 AM
They should purge all names if the character has not been logged in for 3 years or more. If said person logs in after 3 years and finds their wonderful name gone, too bad.

Just have characters get autodeleted on their 3rd birthday. Having characters over 33 months old is incredibly non-classic and Shadows of Luclin era.

Edit: Fuck it, also do the same to items. On its third birthday .... POOF!

Lhancelot
09-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Just have characters get autodeleted on their 3rd birthday. Having characters over 33 months old is incredibly non-classic and Shadows of Luclin era.

That's harsh man. :(

Jimjam
09-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Too late, I'm already drafting my bug report.

Sorn
09-25-2017, 10:53 AM
I know some people who make it their business to squat on choice names and charge pp to release them...I don't agree with this practice and would never do it myself, though.

Personally I tend to use either generated names or meaningful real ones in other languages.

Lhancelot
09-25-2017, 12:13 PM
I know some people who make it their business to squat on choice names and charge pp to release them...I don't agree with this practice and would never do it myself, though.

Personally I tend to use either generated names or meaningful real ones in other languages.

I choose names that derive from whatever ideas I am ruminating about, whether it's a movie, a song, a musician, historical figures, or my cats, really it's neverending the names I can think of.

One thing I never do is choose a computer-generated name though. I just can't see creating a name I have no feelings or connection with.

mastersapper
09-25-2017, 02:41 PM
I've been playing with /shownames off and find that it helps with my immersion.

Although I wish there was some way to hide just my name only.

Daldaen
09-25-2017, 03:12 PM

This would probably be the best possible thing for P99.

Characters over 33 months get deleted and you must restart. Would fix so much about this server.

Expediency
09-25-2017, 03:14 PM
What names are you guys trying to register? Is everyone trying to be Legolas or Gimli or some really common name? I joined in 2015 and between 2015 and 2016 I found plenty of good names that were open and I squatted on half a dozen to use for future characters.

Expediency
09-25-2017, 03:19 PM

Items having a three-year timer that starts the minute they drop is the best idea for custom content I think I have read all year. It would fix tons of economic problems and do so in a way that affected everyone equally and predictably. Also the value of the items would change relative to the timer and how much was left on it

Squabbles123
09-25-2017, 03:43 PM

I scored a pretty cool name for one of my toons awhile ago, before I even hit level 10, I got a tell from someone who wanted to "Buy it" from me. They offered me 2000pp to any toon I wanted to sell it to them, I declined.

I know this makes people curious about the name, but I'd rather not say, but I was shocked it wasn't taken.

There are good names available, you just have to use some imagination.

Canelek
09-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Level 1 character purging is classic. At least it was on Veeshan. Or am I thinking of inactive guilds?

Rygar
09-25-2017, 04:09 PM
On live I made a Troll SK and eventually he became 'Dunky Otay' (like Don Quixote). I thought I was pretty clever in that regard.

I don't recall if I tried on P99. But Rygar was for sure taken in game. Damn NES game ruled (never could beat it as a kid).

Gozuk
09-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Shrug. I've never had a hard time getting a name. I just made a new Halfling warrior the other day and got the first name I wanted. His name is Logue, a play on my main from live who was name was Loque. Apparently nobody could tell the difference between a G and a Q so I was called Logue at least half the time.

Use your imagination. It's only hard if you're still trying to name your character Tyrion or Lazer.

Menden
09-25-2017, 05:25 PM
I've had this conversation with management in the past, there is no intent on clearing tune names or guild names.

Lhancelot
09-25-2017, 05:46 PM
I've had this conversation with management in the past, there is no intent on clearing tune names or guild names.

What happens in the year 2055 when every possible name on p99 has been taken?

maskedmelonpai
09-25-2017, 05:49 PM
What happens in the year 2055 when every possible name on p99 has been taken?

i will ascend as the ficial p99 namerateur

Menden
09-25-2017, 06:13 PM
We'll all be dead by 2055

Freakish
09-25-2017, 06:59 PM
I am ok being unoriginal. I get to make cool hotkeys like you've been SQUASHED.

Canelek
09-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Purging is at last at hand! The Day of Doom is here! All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth - they shall all be cleansed! You, my children, are the water that will wash away all that has gone before. In your hand, you hold my light, the gleam in the eye of Set. This flame will burn away the darkness, burn you the way to paradise!

vorpal_raddish
09-25-2017, 09:19 PM
First off, in my opinion if you name your character after a fruit, vegetable, or fantasy character you have no imagination and shouldn't be playing a fantasy RPG.
You wanna take this outside?

Freakish
09-25-2017, 09:48 PM
What's wrong, need sunlight ya radish?

vorpal_raddish
09-25-2017, 10:10 PM
How did you know my rogue's name?!

Arakash
09-25-2017, 10:41 PM
I've found the dearth of name choice, especially for those of us who always seem to arrive late to the popular games, to be an opportunity for a little research into some ancient culture names. Many of those old culture (like the Sumerian) names are pretty close to the random name generator. Which I think is sort of funny.
Arakash was a name I made up years ago when I played muds. I suppose I thought it sounded sort of like something H. P. Lovecraft or Robert E. Howard would use for a 'mysterious Eastern' name. That being said, there are some pretty horrible names in every game I've played. I did get a laugh at the fellow whose name is an antihistamine. Some of those drug names do sound sort of Tolkienish.

Tupakk
09-25-2017, 10:54 PM

Toon....

And I knew what baler said was silly. I would never see staff deleting a toon to give to another player that just sounds like a total CSR nightmare.