PDA

View Full Version : Swimming into Boat from BB to FP

liquidki
09-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Reading the travel guide (http://wiki.project1999.com/Travel_Guide), it talks about a method of getting into the boat at BB by swimming in front of it:

The method that I've heard about (note I've never actually tested this myself) is that the dark races can swim in the water in front of the boat and wait until it passes over them. They then are somehow sucked up into the hold of the boat and can avoid all that fighting at the dock. Again, I haven't tested out either of these to see if they work or not, I have, however, been assured by many people after first posting this that this works just fine.

I tried this today and wasn't able to get it to work. I was swimming out from the docks and the boat popped right on top of me but I was still in the water and didn't get sucked into it. I swam all around inside the boat but wasn't pulled out of the water. I got in front of it but I sort of missed the angle, and it swerved around me, so it was never in motion on top of me, but swimming around inside it didn't suck me up inside of it.

Did I just do it wrong? Do I have to be in the path of it while it's in motion? Has anyone confirmed this to work recently?

Thanks!

NegaStoat
09-26-2017, 05:15 PM
the boats that P1999 uses for butcherblock to freeport and qeynos to erudin aren't classic. they are simply what the coders could get to work properly. In original everquest you could not zone into or out of Ocean of Tears or Erud's Crossing by means of swimming - the boats were required.

Anyway, the boats that the server does use do not have the function of scooping a swimming player up into its lower deck like a classic boat. It sucks. It's how it is. If you're curious as to what the classic boats looked like, there's one parked on the beach in Butcherblock past the docks, or at least there used to be one there.

Moral of the story - get a teleport from a druid or wiz, or get an Invis spell from a player, yourself, or a cloudy potion. Another option is to reach a high point in a zone with a boat dock and Levitate over and down onto the boat once it docks. A Magician's summoned Ring of Flight can assist with this.

Edit - fun fact. Previous to Velious there were two ships running to and from Erudin and Qeynos, and Butcherblock and Freeport so that the time spent waiting was 15 minutes or less. We only get one here, but at least it works.

mcoy
09-26-2017, 05:23 PM
I've managed to swim up into both the OOT and TD (good) boats. It wasn't easy and I was doing it with 200 swimming.

Another trick that works is swimming beneath the boat as it crosses the zone line. You'll zone with it and appear in the new zone on the boat. Thankfully the Z-axis issue was never fixed as far as I know, but then I gave up on live a while back.

-I'm wondering if that's what the "sucked up into" part meant, but left off the "when you / it zones" part...

-Mcoy

liquidki
09-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Quick update. Since I missed the boat the first time trying this, I figured I'd try it again :)

This time I got the angle correct and the boat went directly over me while I was swimming, and I was not pulled up into it. I was still in the water.

So as best as I can tell this doesn't work. If no one can confirm that this works, I'll update the wiki to note that this doesn't work. If you're KoS to the dwarven female at the end of the dock as I am, invis onto the boat seems like the only way that works, although I'm guessing you could levitate onto it as well.

liquidki
09-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the quick updates and notes! Awesome how active this community is!

I'm still working up my swimming skill (just under 100 right now) so I'll give this more tries as I progress and have time :)

See you in game!

Jimjam
09-27-2017, 12:54 AM
IIRC You can 'swim' up the mast of the boat. Don't go too high up the mast or the boat will leave you behind!

liquidki
09-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Ah.. it did seem that the mast of the boat was extending a bit lower than the rest of the boat, but I'm not sure if I tried colliding with it while swimming. I'll try this and report back!

liquidki
09-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Reporting back.

I was able to successfully climb up out of the water when the boat was docked in Freeport. I did as recommended and headed for the mast at which point I was transferred up to the deck of the boat.

I jumped off and tried again, approaching the boat head-on. This time as soon as I contacted the outer shell of the boat I got pulled up into the bow of the ship, but was stuck and unable to move. Once the boat started moving, I poofed onto the middle of the boat, above decks and was again fine to move around.

So.. confirmed this works :)

Rygar
09-28-2017, 11:57 AM
In Kraddok's fishing video he shows himself running into a boat in Ocean of Tears. I think he was swimming, levitated himself, and ran into the back of the boat (went through its butt basically).

ko37qtl
10-01-2017, 07:24 PM
I was able to do this on Live with a little effort but not able to make it work here. I will remember to try the approach with the mast the next time I'm around a boat with time to kill.