PDA

View Full Version : Increasing server population proposal

sox7d
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
So I run this site, macromeme.com, and it's pretty much the worst site in the world, I knew about as much css/html as a 13 year old girl on myspace when I made it, ffs, I don't even have a stylesheet. However, it's getting about 30-40k views a day, and I was thinking of putting up a banner link in place of one of my google ads on my next batch of images into the rotation.

What do you think, devs? or will advertising be too provocative to "the company?"

Btw, I'm no artist, if anyone of you guys would want to make a gif/static banner advertising the site (if devs allow it) I'd like to put it up.

Among the dimensions of 728x90/120x600 or so.

lemme know what you guys think of the idea.

SwordNboard
02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I say we stay as we are at a somewhat exclusive state. P99 ads just seem.. degrading. The only people who want to play P99 are the people who enjoyed true classic; Not just random L0lzTehInturWebZ junkies. Those classic-seekers will find us eventually. Now putting of up leads in an EverQuest niche location or website would seem more feasible. Not on random website 23,376,876.

No offense.

Sparkin
02-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Server population probably near doubles in a month anyways. You have to realize its been in classic mode for like.. 16 months? A lot of people that have played on it a lot in the past don't do so now because they're waiting for Kunark.

DevGrousis
02-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I say we stay as we are at a somewhat exclusive state. P99 ads just seem.. degrading. The only people who want to play P99 are the people who enjoyed true classic; Not just random L0lzTehInturWebZ junkies. Those classic-seekers will find us eventually. Now putting of up leads in an EverQuest niche location or website would seem more feasible. Not on random website 23,376,876.

No offense.

"find us eventually" means they happened upon some sort of literature. I think putting up an add will only help to serve those out there who arent SEARCHING for classic eq, because perhaps they dont even know there is anything like that out there.. as long as the add doesnt say FREE EVERQUEST CLICK HERE or something stupid like that and says rather Everquest Classic Server it should attract the right people

i think if the devs are ok with it, it would be more than awesome for you to put something up on your site!

I am more concerned as to if our server is going to be able to handle the influx that is going to come with Kunarks release, without adds :P but i'm more than sure they have already thought this through.

we are in GREAT hands :D big.. meaty.. hairy hands :D

Humerox
02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
a lot of people have shown up from fippy, lol. most of the new players i've run into leveling my alt have come from there.

Baa
02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Fippy is probably one of the best things that has happened for P99, really the only people who are going to play here (99% of the time) are people who played classic or had friends who played classic.

Icaro
02-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Bring more tanks!

DevGrousis
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Bring more tanks!

xp penalty = no tanks. give it about a year or so and the tank population will turn up

although with warrior being able to taunt, perhaps we'll see a huge upturn in warriors :D

sox7d
02-24-2011, 08:28 PM

No offense.

Wow... Way to insist that people will just write EQ off as just some out-dated game while simultaneously writing off anyone that looks at funny pictures on the internet as a preteen on counterstrike. EQ's the greatest game I've ever played in my life and I think people that never got a chance to experience it should be exposed. I have encountered many people who have reached max level when they had only played WoW and found out about the game through a friend or reading about it on a forum. I'm not saying it will attract 30k people, but some people might be interested that are sick of the saturation of easy MMORPGs, those that don't will be swiftly weeded out as they don't want to spend more than an hour per level.

Also, if we want the full classic experiences, we need some newbies to go along with it.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4628532/Just-Saiyan.jpg

Goobles
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

No offense.

You are the boss.

SwordNboard
02-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Wow... Way to insist that people will just write EQ off as just some out-dated game while simultaneously writing off anyone that looks at funny pictures on the internet as a preteen on counterstrike. EQ's the greatest game I've ever played in my life and I think people that never got a chance to experience it should be exposed. I have encountered many people who have reached max level when they had only played WoW and found out about the game through a friend or reading about it on a forum. I'm not saying it will attract 30k people, but some people might be interested that are sick of the saturation of easy MMORPGs, those that don't will be swiftly weeded out as they don't want to spend more than an hour per level.

Also, if we want the full classic experiences, we need some newbies to go along with it.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4628532/Just-Saiyan.jpg

Not at all. All I'm saying is that if just everyone were to come and try this game/server, we would probably get a nice chunk of good dedicated players and a LOT more players who are crude and out to run the place into the ground just because they can, whether they enjoy the game or not.

I'm thinking about the preservation of the server.

Think of the nice and the nasties on this server. Only multiplied (and maybe not, maybe so, proportionally).

I'm not bashing your site or anything, so don't get upset.

Think: Virgin vs 4chan

shuklak
02-25-2011, 12:46 AM
I found this site by pure chance... my friend and I were reminiscing about eq for some reason and I checked out the official site. I saw something about fippy then I read a little on the forums... a couple threads in and I see project 1999.

So, targeting "ad" placement definitely helps attract the type of person you want... people who genuinely like EQ. With that said, I'm sure some people that never played eq would enjoy project 99 if they played with friends. This game is all about community.

sox7d
02-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Not at all. All I'm saying is that if just everyone were to come and try this game/server, we would probably get a nice chunk of good dedicated players and a LOT more players who are crude and out to run the place into the ground just because they can, whether they enjoy the game or not.

I'm thinking about the preservation of the server.

Think of the nice and the nasties on this server. Only multiplied (and maybe not, maybe so, proportionally).

I'm not bashing your site or anything, so don't get upset.

Think: Virgin vs 4chan

I welcome the crude as I welcome the civil, because this game has always been known for its community interaction which derives it's immersion, and with that interaction comes both close, brotherly bonds and bitter rivalries. (everyone on this server has both, I'm sure) which give this game a level of depth and has really succeeded more than any game in the dimension of "make your own story."

I'd also like to note that people will often focus on bad experiences and omit how great things and the people actually are. (I.E. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk)

EQ is too great of a game to squander, and I think we should expose it to anyone that is willing to try it. IMO, the pure-bloods that have been playing for 10 years are mitigating the classic feel since ever quest/mob is being systematically farmed rather than them being rare and little known to most players.

OneEyedJack
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I think that people will find it if it's something they want. I found this server last week by mere chance. It kind of started off with a classic era accurate UO server I play on... then my buddy introduced me to a classic DAOC server. Then I got a wild hair up my rear and decided to google for a classic EQ server. After further research I joined up, and I'll be bringing friends with me.

In my opinion, word of mouth is sufficient, but I can understand wanting to advertise to make the population really boom.

DevGrousis
02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I welcome the crude as I welcome the civil, because this game has always been known for its community interaction which derives it's immersion, and with that interaction comes both close, brotherly bonds and bitter rivalries. (everyone on this server has both, I'm sure) which give this game a level of depth and has really succeeded more than any game in the dimension of "make your own story."

I'd also like to note that people will often focus on bad experiences and omit how great things and the people actually are. (I.E. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk)

EQ is too great of a game to squander, and I think we should expose it to anyone that is willing to try it. IMO, the pure-bloods that have been playing for 10 years are mitigating the classic feel since ever quest/mob is being systematically farmed rather than them being rare and little known to most players.

motha fuckin THAT

preach

evangelist
02-26-2011, 01:20 AM
i just spread the word on forums i frequent (only in mmo threads other people start)

Nedala
02-26-2011, 11:06 AM
im spamming youtube vids all the time lol

DevGrousis
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
im spamming youtube vids all the time lol

haha

Damaja
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I agree with just letting the server pop climb on its own

Folksie
02-28-2011, 08:57 PM
i agree with the sentiment that 'there are plenty of people who would dig this server but happen not to know about it'.

i have to say the only reason i 'found' p1999 was because i was searching for episodes of the office on 'project free tv' and mistyped my search into google chrome. ^_^

if it weren't for that i still wouldn't know about it. it would be quite unlikely that i would wake up one morning and say to myself: 'wow, let's go find out if there's a bunch of people that have devoted the huge time and resources to recreate authentically the experience of an mmo created 10 years ago'.

of course i'm very glad i did find the server, but i'm just not 'deep' enough into any current online gaming community that i would have come across it otherwise. i think that's kind of the point with this server too, that it's populated with people that have 'moved on' from eq classic to rl stuff or whatever but happen to like the idea of coming back and enjoying the old experience.

so yes, you may get some kiddies by advertising, but i think you'd also pull in a lot of the right kind of people to. and the best thing is... come the first difficult corpse run, the kiddies will quit! : )

Flavia
02-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Advertise so I can find more unemployed or barefoot\pregnant friends to play with me 24/7 from 1 to 50 k.