PDA

View Full Version : DN Rats and Ratmen in the Hole - A Connection?

Rygar
09-27-2017, 09:20 AM
This is just a fun thread about some possible Lore of Norrath, read no further if not interested in that.

As I've been unable to play lately, in my spare moments I've been doing some classic research particularly around the Hole (big surprise to those that know me!).

In any event, there is this one mob I've been trying to find more information on: Ratman Adherant

http://web.archive.org/web/20010710195648/http://everlore.com:80/bestiary/beastdetails.asp?mode=show&BID=334968

Apparently this was a Ratman in the Hole that was a necro class and casted high level necro spells. Now, the source is Everlore, which to say the least is not the most trust worthy source. For this thread I'm just going to pretend for a moment its real as it made me think of a possible connection to the DN rats.

Thanks to Everquest Mysteries I know that Miragul (also known as Miraguy) was the first Necromancer and delved into forbidden magic, eventually creating a series of teleportation systems about Norrath known as Miragul's Highway.

After the elementals took over Paineel and the town was wiped out, these little rat guys move in. In the Hole, they are all warrior class. However, this Ratman Adherant was apparently a Necromancer (like Miragul). What if these rats that moved into Paineel were capable of reading and learning from all the tomes and spellbooks left behind from the invasion?

Thanks to the SK epic quest we know that the Ratmen there collected and entrusted ancient Tomes to their finest warriors (Dusty Tome contains secrets for the SK epic weapon, in the hands of a Ratman Guard that could quad in the 370s).

So my theory is, these rats learned the secrets of Necromancy from the tomes of Miragul, and were known as a Ratman Adherant after mastering the Necromancer arts. I think at some point these Necromancers stumbled upon the secret knowledge of Miragul's highway and perhaps even expanded it by opening a portal to Velious, where their most powerful warriors and necromancers took up residence.

This could make sense as a lot of the DN rats are Necromancers, much like Miragul.

I have no idea of the actual Lore behind the Chetari / Paebala rats in DN, this was more as Kraddok would put it 'my own personal mystery'.

Such an interesting game that can still make me wonder about these types of things 18 years later! Hope a few of you enjoyed the read, and maybe add your own ideas about how this connection between these rats could or couldn't work.

Whirled
09-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Most people would have destroyed the "A Large Rat" faction if they were in any starting area. Make those rodent assassins pay for their misdeeds!

MrSparkle001
09-27-2017, 11:56 AM
I thought Miragul was the first human necro, learning of it from the dark elves and then taking it to new heights of power? I barely remember the lore but I do know I was so into Miragul's lore that my main character in 1999 was an erudite necro for roleplay reasons.

Sadiki
09-27-2017, 05:24 PM
This is all 100% true, I'm amazed that you made the connection so easily. Devs confirmed in 2003 that Miragul lost one of his ancient texts, which washed up on the shore of a river in Nekultos Forest back when rats inhabited the area, before the creation of the elves. Most rats of course could not decipher them, but one being, known as the father of the ratmen, found an ancient tome dropped by Mithaniel Marr and gained the intelligence to read it. He learned some necromancy from it and passed it down to his offspring, which inherited his intelligence. What was his name? Adherant. Which is also what his followers were called. So there you go.

No sources for any of this, because I'm just making all this shit up to waste your time. Get a job, Wedar.

indiscriminate_hater
09-27-2017, 05:38 PM
2/10 no conspiracy board

branamil
09-27-2017, 08:32 PM
I thought Miragul was the first human necro, learning of it from the dark elves

Yep, Innoruuk is the source of necromancy, first teaching it to the dark elves. Miragul is the first non-dark elf to learn it

Rygar
09-27-2017, 10:49 PM
This is all 100% true, I'm amazed that you made the connection so easily. Devs confirmed in 2003 that Miragul lost one of his ancient texts, which washed up on the shore of a river in Nekultos Forest back when rats inhabited the area, before the creation of the elves. Most rats of course could not decipher them, but one being, known as the father of the ratmen, found an ancient tome dropped by Mithaniel Marr and gained the intelligence to read it. He learned some necromancy from it and passed it down to his offspring, which inherited his intelligence. What was his name? Adherant. Which is also what his followers were called. So there you go.

No sources for any of this, because I'm just making all this shit up to waste your time. Get a job, Wedar.

My post was worth it just for this response. I laughed because I like 80% believed you until the end, and it sounded awesome.

I actually wrote this post at my job, so there. Maybe I should do my job or something instead.

skarlorn
09-28-2017, 12:20 AM

incredibly good post here, nice thread all around now!