PDA

View Full Version : Old SoE player seeking some Classic EQ.

Sattus
09-30-2017, 02:50 AM
Hello guys!

Returning player, after about 10 years or so. I tried to get on the server a few years back and couldn't get it to work right for me. Was really hurting for some classic EQ a few weeks ago and finally got the game working!

So it's been almost 2 weeks since I've started and I've been having a blast. I started off with a rogue, got him 12, took him over to CrushBone and realized, I've done this 100 times lol. Back on the SoE servers my main was a rogue and I raided, grouped and all that jazz up past 50 , a few times. Never really liked any expansions past Velious, Luclin was ok, PoP was ok, then they just got weird and confusing. PoP made the game feel small and I could never find people, or stuff was camped by solo/duo/boxing folks.

I've been loving the server so far, super nice folks which is a fantastic change from pretty much any MMO these days. I play Archeage with my wife, and I've been sick of that game for awhile now, mostly because of the extremely toxic community, it's really bad.. well the company that runs it (Trion) is pretty terrible also. But the community here, it feels like the old days back when everyone looked out for each other, really love it!

So I've parked my Rogue for the time being. I was thinking, I always really wanted to play a pure caster for years. So I made a wizard, mostly because I kept getting my camp/mobs stolen by Soloing/twink enchanters and I don't want to be associated with that kind of behavior lol. Of course I've been reading up on the forums and found Wizards aren't invited to groups to much, because there was a rash of AFK Wizards for awhile I guess. Stinks, but hopefully I can fix that image .. slowly over time :).Not to mention being able to port my self around would be super handy as well!

As it stands I'm an Almost level 5 Gnome Wizard, finally made my way to Freeport tonight. So hopefully I can farm some Bonechips/Bear pelts and get some decent gear while I'm in the commons. If you see me on feel free to send me a tell and we can chat about the old days lol. I had an active account on the SoE servers for 13 years, was playing since launch.

As far as trying to group, where are most folks congregating these days? Crushbone was more or less full of twink solo'ers and befallen was hit or miss, again mostly twinks, maybe I'm just unlucky lol. I just pray Lguk still has groups, one of my favorite places to level. :)

Thanks for reading my long babbling, hope to run into you in game!

Sattus (Rogue)
Ohen (Wizard)

Chubba
09-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Should take a look at the guild, Auld Lang Syne if you are after the real classic feel. :)

Sattus
09-30-2017, 09:02 PM
So I just noticed I posted this in "Server Chat" instead of "Starter Chat" haha can't get more newbish than that. Hopefully it will get moved to right spot, as I can't find an option for that on my end :/

Thank you for the worse of encouragement Swish, I always wanted to play a wizard I just could never make it to level 20 when things got interesting..even twinked at the time hah.

I actually make a Shadow Knight on the Red Server, I'm sure those are not in short supply, but some of the the best times I had in EQ was back on Early Rallos Zek as newbie Shadow Knight. Speak of, are the Flowers of Happiness on the Red server at all :D?

I left Faydwer and am in Freeport now. Making money (bone chips and bear pelts) and trying to score some gear when I see it up cheap. Got some nice rings today and a smoking deal on a Sacrificial Dagger! :D But man, F*** Puma's lol they love Gnome meat way to much!

Mistmore and CoM are a ton of fun! So i wouldn't mind that either. I remember having a blast in Lguk and Karnor's Castle back in the day.

Seen a few Orges, luckily have not been punt'd yet.:)

Thank you for suggestion Chubba, I did look into Auld. While I do love classic expansions, I'm not above Twinking, was some fun times. I had a high level Wizard friend in Vis Maior (if any one remembers them) the progression guild on my server and he would loan me gear from time to time, was a blast lol. Also I love to socialize, so not being able to say "Hey, I feel like leveling in Unrest today" and run over there to try to find a group is way to limiting of a play style for me. But thank you for the suggestion. I also hope to raid some day, PoH was one of my favorites! As Mimic's are probably my favorite monster from D&D hehe. :)

Thanks again for the advice guys. Really loving this community so far!

aaezil
09-30-2017, 09:12 PM
this server is what 9 years old? 95% of people will be twinks - luckily its pretty easy to make or start a group if you get the trinity classes

GreldorEQ
10-01-2017, 10:00 AM
This server and its community is a lot of fun - pay no attention to our forum regulars :)

If you see Grelwin on let me know, I'll swing by for a 2 hour mana regen buff, cheers!

Shrubwise
10-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Welcome back OP and yes wizards do have that reputation. Mana burn 2 mobs to 10% mana (maybe catching aggro on the way), then afk for 5 minutes. Versus a rogue that's constantly pumping damage out you know there's going to be a pecking order...but definitely play a wizard the server doesn't have enough of them ^^

I've got one on the red server where they shine a bit more, plus people always need ports over there (no dial a port) so its handy for that too.

If you're a gnome and in the Faydwer area then Crushbone is absolutely the place to be, or orc hill til level 7-8 (no zone xp modifier in gfay though).

Lower Guk isn't so busy these days, there's a very set path for leveling sadly (most people that level are in Mistmoore or City of Mist).

Good luck, and watch out for hungry ogres ;)

Status you are making great posts, fun to read.
Flowers of Happiness were indeed on red for a while a couple years back, but they don't play any longer.
I am adding your rooms to my friend's list and will keep an eye out for you. I have some newbie gear you can have.

Shrubwise
10-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Whoops, meant to quote Sattus and also say that you are making good posts. You are making good posts too though I suppose, Swish.

Sattus
10-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Thank you Shrubwise, glad I don't seem to be bothering any one lol.

Flowers of Happiness was some of the most fun I had on Rallos. I got in towards the tail end , there was MAYBE 5 people on at a time. It was mostly me and Twodogs, who had to change his name at that point lol . But super fun being KoS, in the low levels every one pretty much tried to kill each other any ways tough haha.

I appreciate the offer Shrubwise. I actually bone chipped/bear skinned my to some decent gear. I also made a friend in the guild I joined (The Second Sons) and he hooked me up with some of his old stuff. FINALLY got ride of that banana yellow puke starter robe lol.

Wizards been going faster than I remember it going. Hit level 8 last night, and still slowly chugging along. :)

Thank you guys again for the advice, can't say how much I love this community over and over again. :)

dbouya
10-02-2017, 05:02 PM
things are bit easier on p99 than they were in 1999, because well, we have "the internet" and wiki's and such now. everyone knows everything, and because this server is many years old there's been massive deflation of any gear that isn't tippy top.

100platinum will buy you about a hundred times more than it would in 1999.

maybe that's why the wizard seems to be going faster for you? because leveling on project1999 is basically the slowest of any mmo alive right now (because that's how things were in 1999).

Either way welcome to the server, we always need fresh blood! the community really is great, I love making new characters, not twinking them, and just "suffering" through the torments of being a n00bie with others in whatever part of the world I happen to be in.

The best comradely i've found was probably field of bone mistimoore city of mist progression path. used to be some fun times in solb too, but velious killed that off (or more accurately upgraded solb into an entire expansion full of super cool rats spiders and dragons.)

Sloshed
10-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Sattus if you are interested I twinked a necromancer years ago with just plus intelligence items and I never made it to level 10. If you are interested you can have all of that gear to help you get started. Just send me a pm and I'll work out a time to be on since I rarely play anymore.

Raavak
10-03-2017, 12:29 PM
For wizards the mana regen time is definitely the downside of the grouping. Having an Solist's Icy Wand (https://wiki.project1999.com/Solist's_Icy_Wand) might help some. Learning to ghetto-park mobs will make you more valuable too, especially if there is no other crowd control in group.

You will do better exp-wise quad kiting. Its solo... but it can be exciting because you are often just a server blip or running into a tree from getting mauled. But if you have the right spot you can make pretty steady experience and sometimes okay cash.

If possible try to do some of both grouping and solo. It can be frustrating being LFG a long time though.

Aueamin
10-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Sattus. Don't give up I have a lvl 51 wizzy and I love playing him. Yes us Wizzy do have a bad rep for going AFK, but I have found out that once I get in a grp they are surprised to see a wizzy staying active in the grp with CC and nuking every mob. Just hang in there.

Rivera
10-03-2017, 01:00 PM
I'd play legit and roll Auld if you're just now starting. Much better experience than kind of twinking and scraping for gear in the shitty P99 Economy. TBH.

Sattus
10-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Sattus if you are interested I twinked a necromancer years ago with just plus intelligence items and I never made it to level 10. If you are interested you can have all of that gear to help you get started. Just send me a pm and I'll work out a time to be on since I rarely play anymore.

Thanks Sloshed, I've actually had a few people stop by and give me some good newbie items. Like I was saying I love this community and I'm not above a little twinking lol . It has been really nice actually, get like 2, 2 1/2 kills soloing before I go sit down now lol .

Almost level 11 now, want 20 so bad lol, can't wait to start porting around and branching out a little. :)