PDA

View Full Version : For those Paladin lovers -- how you solo on a Paladin post 46+ (video)

Beastagoog
10-14-2017, 01:21 AM
This is a post level 46 (using DW helm) video with about...20k worth of gear and my epic which I just got @ level 50, prior to getting my epic I soloed petty much most of 20-50 using a veliuum 2hs which was 30-37. I also had crusty armor from about 20-40 before I got the high elf armor set.

I started to solo level in CoM the moment I dinged 46 starting with haze golems. 46-51 didnt take long as I was getting about 10% xp per level in 30 odd mins give or take. Fog Golems rape the shit out of you so try to avoid them ( as you will see in the video if you watch it).

I plan to one day write a 1-50 guide with all the best solo spots I've found...one day.

This way to level is boring as shit dont get me wrong but if you love melee's/Paladins and want to solo most of the way than it's fun for awhile, it's also quite an AFKish way to level too once you know the spots. I was doing this while studying, anytime I wanted to take a break I would drop 30-45mins in to getting some xp.

You get about 1-2% per kill prior to dinging 51, than it starts to slow down to about .5% per kill.

Video details:

SELF BUFFED, getting the remaining 10-11% I needed to ding 51 in about 35mins recorded about 6-7 months ago when I used to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM6WVpuY4co

Bonus video: https://youtu.be/2S2jofkXMC0 - easier mobs

p.s obviously better gear (CoF/Fungi/tash stick for getting root to stick longer etc. etc.) would reduce the leveling time by quite a margin.

FLAME ON BABES!

Baler
10-14-2017, 01:27 AM
Good post + not begging people for views. :)
Grats on 51. I like how you label your videos Project 1999
Keep it up, paladins are the underdogs.

ZiggyTheMuss
10-14-2017, 04:26 AM
Paly love! Underrated class.

khandman
10-14-2017, 05:45 AM
Never levelled in City of Mist at all on my paladin as spent my time in Kithicor during the night cycles's at that level range, but that looked fun :)

Beastagoog
10-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Never levelled in City of Mist at all on my paladin as spent my time in Kithicor during the night cycles's at that level range, but that looked fun :)

Give it a go.
You get decent money too if gem drops go your way.

I soloed Temple, Stables, arena (do not do goos as you cant root them)....avoid fog golems and phantoms till atleast 50.

I am 51.5 and might pick this back up again soon...might try solo moat at off peak.

Diogene
10-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Good post but I prefered your "Drugs" thread. That one was wicked :)

Lhancelot
10-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Personally I don't run into lack of options to solo on melee, not until 50-60. I hope you keep going, and share what you do from 51+. Godspeed to you!

Jimjam
10-14-2017, 12:00 PM
My SK was soloing CoM before 40 because everyone there was saying I was too low to group... then they got mad cos I was taking temple area to myself.

Just can't please some :D

Foggies are pretty nasty, this is true.

As an SK I was also fear kiting Spectral Keepers in Trakanon's Teeth (again people were getting mad at me cos a level 41 was taking up the Pained Soul PH, but I figured why not double down... never did get it to spawn though).

For clarity I mention my SK experiences as I suppose they have equivalent damage in/out abilities. Obviously a paladin doesn't have the snare for fear (or do they?), but I suppose they can proxy something similar cycling through stuns against these wizards?

I agree that the AFKish and having to find the right spots element of levelling a melee has a strange appeal to it. Disclaimer: I'm a glutton for punishment, having exclusively soloed level 54 on my 'self found geared' Halfling warrior.

Lhancelot
10-14-2017, 12:19 PM
My SK was soloing CoM before 40 because everyone there was saying I was too low to group... then they got mad cos I was taking temple area to myself.

Just can't please some :D

Foggies are pretty nasty, this is true.

As an SK I was also fear kiting Spectral Keepers in Trakanon's Teeth (again people were getting mad at me cos a level 41 was taking up the Pained Soul PH, but I figured why not double down... never did get it to spawn though).

For clarity I mention my SK experiences as I suppose they have equivalent damage in/out abilities. Obviously a paladin doesn't have the snare for fear (or do they?), but I suppose they can proxy something similar cycling through stuns against these wizards?

I agree that the AFKish and having to find the right spots element of levelling a melee has a strange appeal to it. Disclaimer: I'm a glutton for punishment, having exclusively soloed level 54 on my 'self found geared' Halfling warrior.

Yeah I am glad you brought this up, as I thought to myself if a Sk could follow a similar path seeing that SK is knight as is a pally.

Wonder which one has better options at 51+ to solo?

I have a pal that "likes" the sk class, but feels that it's a waste of time leveling one because they are "weak and underpowered" compared to warriors.

He is hitting a hard wall at lvl 51 as warrior to solo now though. I know people will point out it's a team game etc., but not everyone has the time to LFG or join groups for XP and that's why he tends to solo a lot.

Problem is, he likes melee and melee on this game tend to need group support for easier leveling.

Jimjam
10-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Lhance, I suspect SK might have the edge, but I humbly ask whether your friend has considered monk?

I know neither you nor I can get into the groove with monks, but I think it may be what he is really hankering after.

Brut
10-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Grinded last few levels in 50s mostly solo, knight soloing is urrgggghhhh.
And I think SK does it better since least I can fear kite and got more DPS with the pet. Palathing it must be unreal boring, watched one try to kill Shady Swashbuckler and he was just meleeing it for 80y rooting it to go helmet up.

Get a group, save yourself the headache. /nod

Beastagoog
10-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Yah it's pretty boring soloing as a Paladin using dw helm. I wouldn't suggest it for more than an hour here and there.

Shadowknights definately would solo faster, both have different styles tho. I would say Paladins do dungeons better by mere fact of what is essentially a poor mans melee root rot and calm spliting. Unless you're a glut for punishment or like the challenge of soloing post 54 on a melee I would suggest grouping too. But it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

My plan was once I hit 54 I was gunna solo lguk named camps. Maybe one day I will pick it back up for the challenge.

Also for the post about soloing in TT, I did it on my Paladin too but it's a different dynamic with caster mobs. You find yourself cornering mobs to DW helm heal up etc.

And yes Paladins can getto fear kite undead if they get the whip from ToFS. I never tried it on my red99 paladin when I played there but I am sure its doable: I think though the whip is only 35% snare? Would be epic if it worked well!

Lhancelot
10-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Lhance, I suspect SK might have the edge, but I humbly ask whether your friend has considered monk?

I know neither you nor I can get into the groove with monks, but I think it may be what he is really hankering after.

He has a monk, lol. He hates having to be group puller all the time. Got to lvl 52 I think, then quit his monk iirc. :D

Jimjam
10-14-2017, 08:50 PM
If he wants a fighty toon but not be asked to do anything for groups he could consider ranger.

With velious there is a proliferation of high AC items to wear, they have just as good defence skill a any other melee up to around 40, and at high levels their defence skill might be raised when chardok 2 lands.

Furthermore, if he really wants to work on his character, the off hand epic is fairly easy to acquire 30 ATK 40 haste and he has the option to acquire a 50% haste click from a mob that gets killed every sky raid.

fadetree
10-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Ranger's a good choice. Solo is somewhat easier than a knight up to the point where they all start sucking to solo. Can fear kite animals to 60 if you can take it. Tanks great to around 45, good until around 52...after that you'll need good gear. Gear's cheap, though. Archery is kind of ignored usually but if you make it a priority and learn to do it, you can do some amazing stuff with it. Takes patience, though.
But back to Pally. I like them a lot, really great grind tanks. I'd rather have a pally as group tank for exp hunts more than anything else.

Rygar
10-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Haven't watched vid yet, but once you hit maybe 53-54 get to the pit area at in the Hole. I'm guessing you can make a joke of the lower level casters with bash / stuns, and lulls can help you split camps (would probably need some decent CHA?). Only 1 roaming golem to worry about (if he's lower level, can maybe take him out if LoH is up).

Not sure how 'good' your anti-summon nukes are, but with the -MR check they should hit reliably well.

Besides Pit there are like 5-6 camps I could recommend. If you are reallllly bored and want good exp with no loot (only bone chips), the Fallen Erudites at undead tower are pretty chump. They aren't casters, are undead and about 75% of them are blue at 60. They run at 20%, and are actually on Underfoot faction, so the big dog ghosts won't social with them.

There are 5 spawns you can reliably pull, and 1 you need to lull pull. Only problem you can get into is Dartain the Lost can spawn (36hr pop), but you can IVU to get past him. Can even pull kindle to crypt for an extra mob to kill if you are beastly.

Other problem is erudites are PHs for Ghost of Glohnor, so may take away one of your spawns. But doubt you could hold down 6 on a 22min timer anyways (had trouble doing that on my monk at 60).

Best part about the Hole camps (besides pit area), is almost none of them are ever taken. So great for that AFK exp or wanting to just log in for an hour and grab some quick exp.

mcoy
10-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Paladins can bash without a shield equipped? Is that true for all melee? Pretty sure I can't on my SK... But it's been a while since I played him.

-Mcoy

Lhancelot
10-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Paladins can bash without a shield equipped? Is that true for all melee? Pretty sure I can't on my SK... But it's been a while since I played him.

-Mcoy

If I recall correctly dual weild skills up with a shield in hand too.

rollin5k
10-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Incredibly depressing, I give it 2 out of 5 wrist slashes. JK keep up the good videos

Zekayy
10-16-2017, 01:45 PM

-Mcoy

SKs and pallies can do it with 2her or there epic

mcoy
10-16-2017, 02:51 PM
pal/sk epics allow bashing when equipped

Ah - that would explain it. Thanks!

-Mcoy

Beastagoog
10-16-2017, 05:02 PM
-- I dont really play anymore, these were recorded along while ago. I did log in the other day and kicked around in CoM: killed a few mobs.

If I played again I would prob push 53 in CoM as I am 51.6 atm, than hit up lguk for awhile.

Re: The Hole post, I wouldnt go there till 54+ solely on the basis root is such low duration. I've camped out with 3 mobs rooted using root but it's scary. Enstill (level 54) has a much longer duration so better for CC+camping on bad lulls.

Ideally I would do this:

51-53 CoM

Lguk 53- to high 50s, probably till 59 and Celestial Cleanse.

Then I would try Seb Entrance in a vain hope a seb cloak would drop just for shits and giggles. (Only ever seen 1 drop in my life).

I think seb entrance would be doable, aslong as you corner the caster mobs to heal up and cure the shaman slows/dots. Also with your DA and LoH if shit hits the fan you could easy hit the exit bubble.

Harbogast
10-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Whatever you decide to do you'll be doing it 40% faster than when real men leveled their paladins solo.

Beastagoog
10-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Whatever you decide to do you'll be doing it 40% faster than when real men leveled their paladins solo.

Ohhhhh sheet ouch. :D:D

Maliant
10-16-2017, 10:24 PM
Damn, that fight with that Fog Golem was 14 minutes long! Eww, I don't miss my Pally from live. Remember having to wait for Lay Hands cool down in between each mob.

Beastagoog
10-17-2017, 01:01 AM
Damn, that fight with that Fog Golem was 14 minutes long! Eww, I don't miss my Pally from live. Remember having to wait for Lay Hands cool down in between each mob.

Yah I should have zoned him. Sometimes RnG fucks you up hard.

Foxplay
10-17-2017, 02:21 AM
Jez a real eye opener.... anytime I feel I kill things slowly on any class I need only watch that 14min fog golem fight.... AND you have epic yikes!

Beastagoog
10-17-2017, 03:31 AM
Most fights are 5-6 mins including healing and been prepped for the next fight. Sometimes RNG fucks you tho. That Golem was def on the upper end of the level range for mobs in that area and rnged hard with its hits. It was very much the exception.

Phantoms, Fog Golems and Goo's are the hardest general mobs on the ground level of CoM. If you avoid those 3 specific mobs you should be killing at a rate of 1 per ~6 mins or ~10 mobs per hour with 0 down time. It's not alot but it's something. Also you have to remember prior to 51 you get atleast 1.5-2.5% xp per kill.

I think in that video I killed 5-6 mobs and got 10-11% of a level in 35 mins. Going 50 to 51. If i had not killed that fog golem that would have been 25mins.

I logged my epic 51 shaman in today in CoM and shaman soloing is stark difference, had 3 dot rotting at once: some take 2 clicks to die, others 2.5. But it was continueous so you could prob kill 35+ mobs and hour with a shaman in the same situation solo if the mobs were there.

I was soloin moat today on the Paladin and downed a few fog golems which took maybe 8 mins each which is about where they would normally take.

Edit: A fog golem has 2x the hp than most of the other mobs. 4k hp vrs ~1.6-2.2k on others. Sometimes you get lucky hits in a row and kill mobs and only lose 30-40% of your health bar. Like most things eq its all just RnG.

Bigdaddy47
10-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Any info on how you did that path on a self geared warrior? Doing something similar myself, although with a knight. trying to jog the memory on where to go.

Jimjam
10-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Note: Soled level 54, not soloed to 54!

Anyway, it was before the sneak nerf, which made things far easier.

Run thru SolA to the bats zoneline. Don't kill the static spawn closest to the zoneline (this will prevent runners); instead kill guano PH and the other pather. Also kill the one that is on the ledge above the lava beetle.

Purchase copious numbers of bandages and set up battle bandage hot keys (maybe not necessary as a knight). Again sneak made this easier as vending could be done at the goblin merchant.

Took circa 400 bats IIRC.

That was like a month. LOL.

Beastagoog
10-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Note: Soled level 54, not soloed to 54!

Anyway, it was before the sneak nerf, which made things far easier.

Run thru SolA to the bats zoneline. Don't kill the static spawn closest to the zoneline (this will prevent runners); instead kill guano PH and the other pather. Also kill the one that is on the ledge above the lava beetle.

Purchase copious numbers of bandages and set up battle bandage hot keys (maybe not necessary as a knight). Again sneak made this easier as vending could be done at the goblin merchant.

Took circa 400 bats IIRC.

That was like a month. LOL.

YUP that's a good leveling spot for any melee once you split it, which is super easy for SK/Pal/Monk for a warrior I'd assume you'd want a net/root clicky to break the camp up and keep it broken. At most the first pull is the only bad one, the rest come singles. Just watch the LCD pather/that sometimes is the named. Also bring see invs for Guano and get yourself a bag/cloak.

The ZL is right next to you too so if your pull goes to shit/about to die just run 10 feet and you zone. I soloed here too on alot of my toons I leveled, esp on the PvP server coz 99.99% of people can't find you (AVOID PvP AT ALL COSTS)

(bring a bow and arrow set to pull the ledge bats down, good way to practice archery too)

Sage Truthbearer
10-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Paladin can duo very effectively with an Enchanter for your early 50s. We would do KC moat and have him charm and haste a drolvarg sentry. I would pull singles to the Enchanter, root them in place, stay the hell back and just spam heal the pet with my DW cap. When charm breaks, stun lock / root the pet while charm is reapplied. Rinse, and repeat. A hasted drolvarg puts out about ~100 dps and just melts everything you pull to it. The exp is insane and your DW cap is mana-free and keeps the charmed pet topped off. You have spot heals for the Enchanter plus LH for the "oh shit" moments.

It works really well.

Rygar
10-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Thread is about a paladin freeing everyone's mind about how they can't solo.

Ignore all this duo talk.