PDA

View Full Version : 600K+ Christmas Giveaway/Contest on Tuesday, December 19th @ 6 PM EST

Speedi
11-01-2017, 01:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2eGPy6R.png

Speedi<Department of Fun> Christmas Event 2017

Hello p99 pals! It's that time of year again! We’re having another <Department of Fun> Christmas event/giveaway! Last year’s giveaway (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259912) was great and many players had fun!

DATE: December 19th, 2017
TIME: 6pm EST
PLACE: EC Tunnel by Shady
STREAM: https://www.twitch.tv/pro5pt0

Cool fact about this event

The staff is involved to ensure no shenanigans and that all the giveaway items and things are legit. Don’t cheat!

How it’s gonna go down

For those that have never been to one of my giveaways, I will describe how I did it last time. The raffle (Phase 1) is all done on my twitch steam (https://www.twitch.tv/pro5pt0). I pick an item(s) and instruct everyone in twitch to pick a number between "X and X". Everyone will have 2 minutes to respond. Then I random and whoever picked the number closest to my roll is the winner. Once phase 1 is over you do not have to be on twitch. Everything else will be done in game.

Phase 2 will be player quests. Details and rules will be explained in game at the time of the event. Basically there will be ‘rounds’ where multiple quests are available, but once you choose your quest you will be locked into it until you or a fellow quester completes it. Then you must wait until the next round to get a new quest. Choose your quests wisely!

(Phase 3) is a super secret contest! It could be anything! Prizes available from first to fifth place.

Prizes

Phase 1 (twitch raffle)

Crystal Spider Eyes
Crystalline Spider Fang
Ring of the Frost Spiders
Crystal Chitin Shield
Netted Kelp Lined Shoes
Ancient Seahorse Hide Cloak
Spider Fur-Lined Boots
Ring of the Frost Spiders
Crystal Chitin Gauntlets
Crystal Spider Eyes
Golden Efreeti Boots
Jade Reaver
Spider Fur Gloves
Golden Efreeti Boots
Flowing Black Silk Sash
Crystal Chitin Armplates
Joined Ethereal Cape
Crown of the Froglok Kings
Platinum Tiara
Spider Fur Belt
Frosted Gloves
Spined Seahorse Hide Breastplate
Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood
Crystal Chitin Shield
Silver Chitin Hand Wraps
Spell: Call of the Hero

Phase 2 (quests)

Sarnak Battle Shield
Arctic Wyvern Tunic
Howling Harpoon
Arctic Wyvern Gloves
Arctic Wyvern Wristbands
Arctic Wyvern Sleeves
Arctic Wyvern Leggings
Arctic Wyvern Boots
Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring

Ornate Rune Shield

Silver Chitin Wristband

Djarns Amethyst Ring

Hierophant's Cloak

Elder's Earring

Skyfury Scimitar

Silver Chitin Wristband

Luminescent Staff

Winters Fury

Djarns Amethyst Ring

Hierophant's Cloak

Edge of the NightWalker

Selo`s Drums of the March

Phase 3 (super secret contest)

First Place: Holgresh Elder Beads
Second Place: Cloak of Flames
Third Place: Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt
Fourth Place: Fungus Covered Scale Tunic
Fifth Place: Orb of the Infinite Void OR Rogue epic MQ (depending on MQer’s availability - will be announced at the event).*

Other stuff

I would also like to take this time to thank a few people who donated to and are helping with this event!

Mizo - Donated Holgresh Elder beads. Mizo is one of my oldest friends in game, untz untz! Thanks friend!
Henrique - Donated 50kpp - nice guy that dislikes slackers, get gud scrub! :P
Anonymous - Donated 51kpp (wanted to donate more than henrique)
Drumas - donated 30kpp - Drumas is a very nice guy, he puts on this mask that he is a hardass on the forums, but he is really a softy! :P
Chodney - Donated a Hierophants cloak - really helpful guy!
Moar - Donated the shaman starter set, nice guy that is retired! :)
Coeur - Donated Edge of the Nightwalker and CoTH spell! One of the nicest people I have ever met in game.
Franswa - Selo's Drums of the March, and Ornate Rune Shield. Such a nice guy, we need more on p99 like him! :)
Skew - Donating a rogue Epic MQ, thanks pal!

Why so much, you wonder? Well, I have been saving since July for this event and it may be the last one I ever do. So as they say, why not go out with a bang? :)

Another thing! If you have tons of platinum and don't really need items, please do the right thing. It would really make me happy if a player that hasn't been on p99 long won first place. Bottom line, don't be greedy!

With that said, I would like to thank everyone that is helping with this event, especially my <Department of Fun> pals. Without their assistance this would not happen. Anyway, I will see you guys soon. Take care, be safe, and happy holidays! :)

Endymion
11-01-2017, 01:37 PM
you guys rule!

skarlorn
11-01-2017, 01:40 PM
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank

Zemus
11-01-2017, 01:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Kj33pkS.gif

aaezil
11-01-2017, 01:46 PM
cant wait for the aftermath crowd to try to fte the nice prizes lol

Knowmercy
11-01-2017, 01:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/C0JTZQ6.gif

Naethyn
11-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Nice!

Evia
11-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Looking forward to this! Really cool of you Speedi! And all who donated!!

Baler
11-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Cool, I hope some new players get cool stuff!
glad to see this being done under a DoF banner. :)

Fifield
11-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Mizo - Donated Holgresh Elder beads. Mizo is one of my oldest friends in game, untz untz! Thanks friend!
Henrique - Donated 50kpp - nice guy that dislikes slackers, get gud scrub! :P
Anonymous - Donated 51kpp (wanted to donate more than henrique)
Drumas - donated 30kpp - Drumas is a very nice guy, he puts on this mask that he is a hardass on the forums, but he is really a softy! :P
Chodney - Donated a Hierophants cloak - really helpful guy!
Moar - Donated the shaman starter set, nice guy that is retired! :)
Coeur - Donated Edge of the Nightwalker and CoTH spell! One of the nicest people I have ever met in game.
Franswa - Selo's Drums of the March, and Ornate Rune Shield. Such a nice guy, we need more on p99 like him! :)
Skew - Donating a rogue Epic MQ, thanks pal!

Amazing, this makes me happy Ty for doing this

Aalderon Crystafire
11-01-2017, 11:50 PM
I'm gonna win back that drum. Been meaning to make a bard alt.

Make it a gnome, please.

Megasiel
11-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Thanks to everyone who contributed to make this happen. Can't wait!

Nybras
11-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Hype!

Dildy
11-03-2017, 10:10 AM
WTS my rolls 100pp each (pre-roll)...if I win you get the item

Skew
11-03-2017, 11:08 AM
I'm gonna win back that drum. Been meaning to make a bard alt.

Donate that mask of yours and become a server legend for eternity :D

Lulz~Sect
11-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Speedi's halfing race across Norrath was cute last year. Dept of Fun knows fun!

skarlorn
11-03-2017, 12:26 PM
reminder that this is an awesome event that is giving out tons of cool and normal pixels for pals of Speedi, whomst am the server as a whole undulating person

Rivera
11-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Wow Holgresh Beads really? Hope the secret quest isn't high level only, would be cool for a lower level to win it.

Good on Dept of Fun. You guys should be the staff on P99, tbh.

Speedi
11-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Wow Holgresh Beads really? Hope the secret quest isn't high level only, would be cool for a lower level to win it.

Good on Dept of Fun. You guys should be the staff on P99, tbh.

We are to good for staff

Aalderon Crystafire
11-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Llandris is a member of Department of Fun -- he may or may not know this, though.

Llandris
11-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Llandris is a member of Department of Fun -- he may or may not know this, though.

Oh I know it, you would too if you checked discord once in a while you silly bard!

mcoy
11-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Wait, we have a discord too? How am I just learning this?

-Mcoy

Aalderon Crystafire
11-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Oh I know it, you would too if you checked discord once in a while you silly bard!

I had forgotten about that...

Love that sig by the way xD

delusion
11-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Things like this, is what makes p99 and the community great!

Atmas
11-04-2017, 09:56 PM
WTG Speedi and those who donated!

Vilkata
11-09-2017, 08:30 PM
bump

wvredskinsfan
11-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Adding this event to my calendar. I'm looking forward to my first special event on P99. Thanks!

Speedi
11-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Thanks to Fauss for donating ...

1. Necklace of Superiority
2. Imbued Ivory Collar
3. Reinforced Dragonhorn Boots

I hope some noob wins them!

We can only pray the greeds stay home for this one pals! :)

Speedi
11-21-2017, 09:42 PM
No offense, but 6pm EST is very early for most people

6 PM EST is a reasonable time, out of the thousands of views this thread has gotten you're the first to bring that up. But I do appreciate the suggestion, and if a player is late they can catch up. So you understand why that time was picked I will explain in detail.

The contest/event has phases, Phase 1 is smaller items (2-6kpp). That will last about an hour or more.

Then phase 2 is player quests. That will last AT LEAST 1.5 hours. I am hoping its done in 2. But it wouldn't surprise me if it took 3 hours or more.

Then phase 3 will be at least an hour.

Then you have time in between each phase. So this is not going to be a quickie, this is going to be a long event. If I didn't start it at 6 we would be pushing 11 or possibly 12 finishing.

Lammy
11-21-2017, 09:49 PM
Nice to see you, Speedi. Have fun with it!

Speedi
11-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Nice to see you, Speedi. Have fun with it!

Thanks Kerbey! I hope you are doing well, and I better see you there! I am still around, just not as much these days.

Your avatar still makes me smile :)

Speedi
11-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Special thanks to Stockmarket for this massive donation.

Arctic Wyvern:

Shoulderpads
Mask
Arms
Helmet
Bracers x2
Cloak
Legs
Tunic
Neck
Belt
Gloves

Black Pantherskin:

Shoulderpads
Mask
Arms x2
Helmet
Bracers x2
Cloak
Legs
Tunic
Neck
Belt

and also an Ice Silk Robe and a Cobalt Drake Belt.

All I can say is wow! I really appreciate it! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This is going to be a lot of fun!

skarlorn
11-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Special thanks to Stockmarket for this massive donation.

Arctic Wyvern:

Shoulderpads
Mask
Arms
Helmet
Bracers x2
Cloak
Legs
Tunic
Neck
Belt
Gloves

Black Pantherskin:

Shoulderpads
Mask
Arms x2
Helmet
Bracers x2
Cloak
Legs
Tunic
Neck
Belt

and also an Ice Silk Robe and a Cobalt Drake Belt.

All I can say is wow! I really appreciate it! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This is going to be a lot of fun!

JoFo23
11-24-2017, 01:05 PM
6 PM EST is a reasonable time, out of the thousands of views this thread has gotten you're the first to bring that up. But I do appreciate the suggestion, and if a player is late they can catch up. So you understand why that time was picked I will explain in detail.

The contest/event has phases, Phase 1 is smaller items (2-6kpp). That will last about an hour or more.

Then phase 2 is player quests. That will last AT LEAST 1.5 hours. I am hoping its done in 2. But it wouldn't surprise me if it took 3 hours or more.

Then you have time in between each phase. So this is not going to be a quickie, this is going to be a long event. If I didn't start it at 6 we would be pushing 11 or possibly 12 finishing.

Thanks for doing all this! I am new to P99 and I'm loving it so far (been playing about a month). I used to play back in the day and this game is all the good stuff I remember rolled into one spot.

Unfortunately, I am on the west coast and have to work late that day. I think I can sneak on some Twitch while at work but will miss most of the questing. It's all good though, hopefully I can make it home in time for Phase 3. I just have to watch out for wife and baby agro! I call dibs on the Mage and Monk gear haha :)

JoFo23
11-24-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the breakdown for the evenings festivities. I just started playing P99 about a month ago and I am loving it so far. Everyone is so helpful and actually fun to game with. It's like all the good stuff I remember back in the day rolled into one big group of friends playing the same game.

Unfortunately, I work late that day and also live on the west coast. I think I can sneak some Twitch watching while at work but I will miss most of Phase 2. If I can hurry home and avoid the ever so dangerous "wife aggro" and "kid aggro" I might be about to catch some of the mysterious Phase 3! Save some of the Mage and Monk gear for me! haha

JoFo

Speedi
12-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Praise p99!

Praise new players!

Lulz~Sect
12-07-2017, 09:34 AM
PraS Speedi / DoF

MappaEQ
12-08-2017, 01:24 PM
This is the best, thanks for doing it! Speedi for President!

Skew
12-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Speedi , i wont be present to do my epic MQ for the winner as it looks like will be middle of the night in the UK. You/the winner can either have the winner contact me the next day in game or on forums or i can donate a cash equivalent.

Fireblade7
12-10-2017, 12:51 AM
This is amazing! I’m sad I’ll be on vacation during it as these prizes are amazing! Good luck everyone!

19 Shaman, Falkan
14 Druid, Fuzztoes
14 Warrior, Poscoe

EQsale
12-14-2017, 09:49 AM
+1 This is what makes p99 stand out and the best Great job guys

goldlush
12-17-2017, 04:31 AM
I wish this was any other day and time for me. I don't think Greasi would get a COF any other way.

Sorn
12-17-2017, 01:16 PM
This is THIS Tuesday, aka the day after tomorrow.

Please note that although the start time is early, we have a LOT of stuff to get through so I am sort of expecting this to take about 6 hours.

Regarding player quests, each one has different requirements so please pay close attention to directions!

We will be doing two sets of quests (called rounds). Everyone has the potential to do up to two quests, one per set. Some are class specific but some are not, some have level requirements, some require getting around faction issues, etc. There will be a DoF member (me) giving directions in /shout.

I'm expecting lots of chaos since this is taking place in EC so please please please follow directions.

mcoy
12-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Add a Ghoulbane from Sentris to the pile!

-Mcoy

Nommis
12-18-2017, 02:41 AM
Bump for Speedi, the nicest guy on p99 if you don't count Franswa.

skarlorn
12-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Speedi rocks for setting this up.

Your chance to win a free AoN and CoF

Gozuk
12-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Can't wait. Already walking around the office today fake coughing. Planting the seed

d3r14k
12-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Can't wait. Already walking around the office today fake coughing. Planting the seed

^ This guy is devoted to his craft. OfficeQuesting for that sick time.

This event is today! Pumped to see the turnout. Shenanigans will ensue, I'm sure.

Speedi
12-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Lol, that is great!

I hope to see you Gozuk! Whatever you do, just don't in trouble! This will be a long event, so even if you're late there is a good chance you can participate!

mattydef
12-19-2017, 01:26 PM
Lol, that is great!

I hope to see you Gozuk! Whatever you do, just don't in trouble! This will be a long event, so even if you're late there is a good chance you can participate!

This is Gozuks boss, don't worry, I approved his requested time off weeks ago. He originally tried to get the whole day off though, told him to fuck off he can leave a few hours early.

Skew
12-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Fifth Place: Orb of the Infinite Void OR Rogue epic MQ (depending on MQer’s availability - will be announced at the event).*

I have my toon parked at Stanos in Highkeep with the items but chances are if this is several hours into the event i will not be online. If the winner wishes to pick the MQ they're more than welcome to PM me on the forums to arrange a time tomorrow to rendevouz. I can be online 2pm to 7pm est tomorrow , or will pop on later in the evening for 2 minutes as thats all it takes.
*Speedi , you will have to confirm the Winners in game name , the rogue toon they wish to MQ it on and if possible their forum handle.

utenan
12-19-2017, 07:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/t5DwdUI.jpg

topgun1027
12-19-2017, 07:08 PM
waste of time hf there boys and gals!

Sonderbeast
12-19-2017, 08:28 PM

not a waste of time for the HEB winner

d3r14k
12-19-2017, 09:46 PM

I didn't know you were allowed to play EverQuest and also deem anything a "waste of time". The two are mutually exclusive.

Foxplay
12-19-2017, 10:38 PM
I didn't know you were allowed to play EverQuest and also deem anything a "waste of time". The two are mutually exclusive.

Hwahahahahahahhhaahahahaahah

Handing out the beatings

Sorn
12-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Potatoball we owe you a priiiiize

Vlor Lord
12-20-2017, 12:01 AM
for next time, dont sow people during a race and or force people to watch stream for insider info

Nommis
12-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Thanks for hosting Speedie and Dept. of Fun - super fun even as I came in limping over the finish line after several wolf incidents.

https://i.imgur.com/RSHel8c.gif

Speedi
12-20-2017, 12:59 AM
Thanks for hosting Speedie and Dept. of Fun - super fun even as I came in limping over the finish line after several wolf incidents.

https://i.imgur.com/RSHel8c.gif

You tried big Rewl, that's all anyone can ask! Thanks for coming out!

Main Prize Winners:

Whitfoot blew away the competition, but believe it or not he didn't want his prize. Yes you heard me right folks, he didn't want his holgresh elder beads that he won. The only thing he wanted was the notoriety that he won the event. So with that said ...

GRATS WHITFOOT ON WINNING FIRST PLACE IN THIS YEARS CHRISTMAS EVENT!

Because of Whitfoot not wanting to claim his prize, everyone else moved up a spot. So if you placed 2nd, that meant you got the 1st place prize. What it looked like in the end ...

Holgresh Elder Beads: Shanty
Cloak of Flames: Castigate
Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt: Kbrown
Fungus Covered Scale Tunic: Lyrea
Orb of the Infinite Void: Sonilok

Also a big grats to all of the quest and raffle winners! I hope you all had as much fun as I did.

In closing I would like to say thanks to everyone that helped make this happen. Without you (especially my DoF pals) this would of never came to fruition. Take care, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

skarlorn
12-20-2017, 01:06 AM
wow, Castigate. That's a name i remember for some reason.

Grats winrars!

Sorn
12-20-2017, 02:08 AM
an hour beforehand...

During...

Someone decided to cast sentinel :|

Last I checked there were 372 people in EC but I think there ended up being over 400. My /who query was making my game freeze for a second so I stopped checking. There were about 138 racers by phase 3. We even had a random guest appearance from Sneaksy! Yay!

Grats everyone who won! I'm going to go relax for the rest of the year XD

skarlorn
12-20-2017, 02:13 AM
Department of Fun working as intended. :)

Speedi
12-20-2017, 03:01 AM
I had some items left over from the event, most notably a Necklace of Superiority (http://wiki.project1999.com/Necklace_of_Superiority). The first genuine new player that replies back telling me why they deserve them wins the prize! Include your level and class as well.

Also, if you aren’t new and your wanting to be greedy, don’t try it. My BS detector (skarlorn) will find you out!

Veerix
12-20-2017, 03:25 AM
I still have empty slots and crap gear, 44 shaman (Veerix), could use upgrades.

deezy
12-20-2017, 03:28 AM
GJ Speedi!

I only wish this could have been held during the weekend when I would have the chance to participate and contribute.

Feud
12-20-2017, 04:04 AM
Very generous event you all did, not just your money/gear but time also. Thanks for the holiday spirit!

Tanon
12-20-2017, 04:06 AM
I had some items left over from the event, most notably a Necklace of Superiority (http://wiki.project1999.com/Necklace_of_Superiority). The first genuine new player that replies back telling me why they deserve them wins the prize! Include your level and class as well.

Also, if you aren’t new and your wanting to be greedy, don’t try it. My BS detector (skarlorn) will find you out!

I could certainly use it or anything else you have left over that's solid for a shaman. As to why I deserve it, well I did complete the arctic wyvern set quest (malted milk) a couple minutes before the person that ended up receiving the reward. Either lag or something led to it saying I refused the flower after giving santug the malted milk? Was confused on the explanation there but no use in crying over spilled milk (ayyyy). Just would have been a huge boon for a new shaman like me. Thanks again for the event, enjoyed the halfling run especially.

Name: Tanon, Class: Shaman, Level 28.

Speedi
12-20-2017, 06:42 AM
I could certainly use it or anything else you have left over that's solid for a shaman. As to why I deserve it, well I did complete the arctic wyvern set quest (malted milk) a couple minutes before the person that ended up receiving the reward. Either lag or something led to it saying I refused the flower after giving santug the malted milk? Was confused on the explanation there but no use in crying over spilled milk (ayyyy). Just would have been a huge boon for a new shaman like me. Thanks again for the event, enjoyed the halfling run especially.

I concur!

Post your playtimes and I will get with you in game.

If you are available now let me know and I will go ahead and take care this now. :)

Lammy
12-20-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm happy to see that you had a nice turn out, Speedi and the DoF. Congrats to the winners!

RaMaR
12-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Thank you Speed and thank you <DoF> for the event!
Unfortunately I could be on only during phase I.
Is there a video of the phase III marathon? :D

Sorn
12-20-2017, 09:33 AM

You definitely deserve something! I'm not sure what happened but sorry for the confusion causing you to lose out on the prize. It may have been lag (with four hundred people in the zone it's a wonder none of us desynced) or just consecutive competing trade windows while Santug was surrounded by a lively crowd.

Definitely get with Speedi, a necklace of superiority is seriously ridiculously good.

Tanon
12-20-2017, 10:10 AM
I concur!

Post your playtimes and I will get with you in game.

If you are available now let me know and I will go ahead and take care this now. :)

Much appreciated, I can be on anytime between 6 PM and 10 PM CST on most days.

@Sorn, yeah I really couldn't blame you guys at all there. The zone/room was a madhouse of people. I will admit that it did cause me to go pour an extra glass of whiskey though. Again, appreciate the event either way.

Nagoya
12-20-2017, 10:26 AM
It's Christmas for everyone man!

destrozi
12-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks to Speedi for putting on a fun night of games and prizes!

Nunchucko
12-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Great event! Speedi and all the volunteers were awesome. 10/10

aaezil
12-20-2017, 11:02 AM
lol at geared players accepting raffle items

Scumbags

skarlorn
12-20-2017, 11:09 AM

*locks and loads his Department of Fun issued glock*

Legidias
12-20-2017, 11:45 AM
lol at geared players accepting raffle items

Scumbags

How terrible that a fair, unbiased event is attended by people of all ranges and types!

mastersapper
12-20-2017, 12:01 PM
How terrible that a fair, unbiased event is attended by people of all ranges and types!

Well... anyone that could or had access to porting, runspeed, tracking, and gating had a clear advantage in the later half.

Basically all melee classes (the ones who are most gear dependent and could benefit from items) were at a disadvantage.

And I wouldnt change a thing! EQ is rough! :D

Amazing event and thanks to everyone that helped make this happen. Happy holidays.

aaezil
12-20-2017, 12:42 PM

epic warrior with aon doesnt need raffle loot, kid

Feel free to continue to rationalize shitty behaviour, though

RedXIII
12-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Well... anyone that could or had access to porting, runspeed, tracking, and gating had a clear advantage in the later half.

Speedi been Speedi and trying to make druids look good. LOL!

Druid sucks Speedi! Get over it! Hahaha. ;)

Glad you had your event man, sorry i couldn't make it to help out. Work keeping me away from fun times at computer, sadly. =D

Gratz to all winners and people who had fun.

Akg49
12-20-2017, 12:56 PM
epic warrior with aon doesnt need raffle loot, kid

Feel free to continue to rationalize shitty behaviour, though

I saw it more as a community event than a noobie giveaway. They were expressing hope that noobs and lowbies would get stuff (and I think a few did), but it really wasn't designed for that. Being able to win multiple times, focusing on competitions for bigger items, allowing A/A to participate really makes more of a community event than a noobie giveaway.

I thought the raffle (shout out to my Conga line fam), the quests, and especially the race were really fun. The quests had a lot of communication issues, thats a great understatement, but the actual text/tasks were really impressive and really well thought out.

As for noobie giveaways I think the way ACgamer, Thoom, and all of his crew do it is the best way to reach noobs. Actually travel to all the starting zones and find people with nothing. Do that a couple times a year and you've really helped a ton of new players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfKep6SpwI

So yeah I think this was an amazing community event, but not really a noobie giveaway.

Legidias
12-20-2017, 01:02 PM
All I hear is "wahh Im greedy and I didnt win because someone thats slightly better off definitely doesnt deserve what I deserve"

I attended event. I didn't even win anything. And lost fairly.

The big money items in third phase were on a fair basis too. The -only- thing that was skewed was the phase 2 stuff, but they separated it into classes anyways. A lvl 37(?) even won an ice silk robe over other higher lvld peeps.

I believe someone in tunnel during event kept calling it 'noob' or 'lowbie' giveaway trying to troll, when it was never called that by the people hosting.

A community is made up of everyone, not just who you choose to be worthy.

Grats to all the winners. It was a fun event.

tl;dr stop bitching you didnt win anything when you feel you're entitled to

Pokesan
12-20-2017, 01:38 PM
is there a rundown of the quest/puzzle stuff? i forgot to go

Lammy
12-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Gratz winners

https://i.imgur.com/yRuGWQZ.png

Sadiki
12-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Was fun. Helped someone win a quest. Didn't participate in the raffle because I'd rather newbies win (even though probably not a lot did). Tons of people on their "hidden" alts for loot is weird.

downwithhalflingracesthough

Lhancelot
12-20-2017, 02:20 PM
All I hear is "wahh Im greedy and I didnt win because someone thats slightly better off definitely doesnt deserve what I deserve"

I attended event. I didn't even win anything. And lost fairly.

I concur with all of this. ^

For my own reasons didn't participate in the raffle, however I tried to find people to bring to the event prior to it beginning so they could participate.

It was nice to see how many people attended the event, really was heartwarming tbh. I found it more fun just seeing others enjoying themselves.

I did partake in one of the quests, the one for the Elder Earring as a reward which Santaclaugg ran, and it was done as best as could be expected considering just how many people were participating.

People that criticize the event because they didn't have as good of a chance to win items are only showing a nasty sense of self-entitlement and should really get a grip.

I am never surprised by the greed of people which even manages to seep into a p99 gaming event held by players for the players.

It's really a show of ugly by anyone that criticizes this event when it comes to what was given as rewards and how it was ran, because it was 100% volunteered from the rewards to the time it took to manage and run the event.

These players took their own time to create an event for other players to enjoy, and provided GIFTS to give that otherwise never would have been given if it weren't for their kindness!

Kudos to DoF, it was a wonderful time and event. I hope you guys do more in the future. Don't let the naysayers detract from your penchance of creating fun for the server, things like this really do lift the spirits of the majority of players who are on this server!

Also thanks to Franswa for providing SOWs to all with his magic sow-sword while flaunting his gnome illusion. :p

Legidias
12-20-2017, 02:25 PM
100% was salty over the gnome illusion flaunting

Lhancelot
12-20-2017, 02:33 PM
100% was salty over the gnome illusion flaunting

Yeah was disgusting.

He had that gnome illusion out and was flaunting it everywhere.

https://i.imgur.com/n7TWuXT.gif

mcoy
12-20-2017, 02:39 PM
The comms issue in round 2 was a bit of a headache. I ended up with so many tell windows that they crashed on me, and I started having to track conversations via spreadsheet. That, and clicking on items / people and /tells got really funky due to the amount of players in the zone. I had people telling me they didn't get x set of instructions or tell, even though my logs reflected otherwise.

We're accepting all (non-troll) feedback though! Next time, we'll probably spread it out over a few zones to help reduce the lag issues that many experienced. I was surprised at the turn out, but I guess even without a MOTD from the GMs the word had spread pretty far.

Thank you to everyone that came!

-Mcoy

Lhancelot
12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
I was surprised at the turn out, but I guess even without a MOTD from the GMs the word had spread pretty far.

-Mcoy

https://i.imgur.com/y8pu4Od.png

https://i.imgur.com/sLiv7em.png

https://i.imgur.com/wov6eC7.png

https://i.imgur.com/NPGQEyM.png

Yoink1986
12-20-2017, 03:23 PM
That halfling race was hands down one of funest things I’ve done in a good while ��.

mcoy
12-20-2017, 03:30 PM
That halfling race was hands down one of funest things I’ve done in a good while ��.

Watching the gorge hounds mow through a pack of lvl 1's had me cracking up. The dogs ate well last night for sure!

-Mcoy

Gozuk
12-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks Speedi and DoF members and anyone else who donated or helped make this event happen! Congrats to everyone who won stuff

I thought it was awesome seeing such a huge amount of people in the back area of the tunnel. I saw some really neat looking characters I've never seen before.

Phase 3 was great I honestly enjoyed it so much. Loved seeing 120+ naked Halflings running around Rivervale. To me, seeing a character die in Everquest has always just looked hilarious. The animation of someone crumpling to the ground along with the groan of agony gets me everytime. Not sure if I've ever laughed so hard while playing P99 as I did running through EK watching people get run down and eaten by packs of Gorge Hounds. I'll honestly never forget it. I almost made it to the NK bridge before I too fell victim to the relentless pursuit of the Hounds. Really good times. Thanks again

Cloke

bigdawg6
12-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks for a great event!

The race was a blast even though I died pretty quickly in EK. You guys should do races once a month - it was hilarious seeing 200 halflings running through Misty Thicket.

Next time I would suggest either not allowing SoW at all or SoWing everyone because I think that introduces an unnecessary variable.

Sorn
12-20-2017, 03:59 PM
The quests had a lot of communication issues, thats a great understatement

Me: *writing the quests* Hmm how many people will show up? Let's assume 40 for this one...that's a lot...yeah this looks pretty good, I think I planned for everything!
*at the event*
Me: OH MY GOD THERE ARE THREE HUNDRED PEOPLE IN HERE
My volunteer: I have 89 people signed up and my tell windows broke thirty minutes ago
My other volunteer: This person keeps being nasty because they didn't get what they wanted, welcome to the ignore list~
My other other volunteer: Hey someone just said one item was impossible to get (it wasn't impossible to get but it wasn't as easy as I thought either)
My other other other volunteer: My trade windows messed up
Other players: I have feedback, there are communication issues and lower level players can't compete
Me: I'm so sorry

is there a rundown of the quest/puzzle stuff? i forgot to go

I named all the quests. :D Each one had its own story, for the most part.

A Punny Holiday Game - punny riddles
Will-o-Wisp - the WC fishing quest
Card Shark - monk only quest
Porting Me Softly - druid only quest
Going Postal - bard only quest
Test of Wits - edge of the nightwalker quest with the riddle
Malted My Heart - malted milk quest
Test of Strength, Test of Fortune - the dueling/lottery ticket quest
Innothule Ingredients - swamp veggies and mushrooms
Kissing Frenzy - the mistletoe quest

Try your hand at solving the puns and the riddle! (if you know the answer, don't say! Shhh, let other people suffer as you have suffered...)

Round 1 # 1: What do you get when you squeeze an elf's grapes?
Round 1 # 2: What do you call a portcullis with a Faydark's Champion tied to it?
Round 1 # 3: What did the druid say to the ranger left behind by the escape portal?

Round 2 # 1: What do you call a Shadowknight with his mouth taped shut?
Round 2 # 2: What do you get when you combine a ranger and a dinosaur?
Round 2 # 3: What do you call a gnome necromancer running away from guards?

Riddle (solve it to understand what your task is):
I stand in a world built by a foreign culture
With open doors, I see a spinner of flame
I've bespelled the stars to earn my name
That which I sell is what you need
Thicker than water, colder than ice
Come find me and I will name my price.

Baelinn
12-20-2017, 05:58 PM
A few images from the halfling race (wish I had more!)

https://i.imgur.com/dhiZVtI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pRxDlpl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OHAwNSS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LE6ml31.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LOnyDkZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wZMGq0d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NxJUUJX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GD25zzp.jpg

The last two photos are in East Karana... still quite the horde of halflings at that point... although you can see a few got taken out by gorge hounds :)

Akg49
12-20-2017, 05:59 PM
I loved the quests I did. I just wasn't sure if I was registered. I actually did 2 round 1 quests because I didn't think I was registered for the first one. I was playing a bard. I first went to Santaclaugg and said "what lake" or something, but so did a bunch of other people, and I wasn't sure if there would be a response with my name (as there was with another quest giver). So I had no idea if I was even registered. So then while people were running to the lake in WC, the bard quest was called out, so I ran over there and was confirmed registered for that quest.

So knowing what constitutes "being registered" was not explained, and that was challenging, then having some round 1 quests start at different times was frustrating. The bard one was not called out until 30 seconds before "ALL REGISTRATION HAS BEEN CLOSED" was called.

-----------------------------------------------

Here's how you might do it with less confusion, from a participant's perspective: announce the restrictions ahead of time, and where the quest giver will be located. Maybe put some in Nro on the other side of the ZL to alleviate lag. Start all the quests at the same time, after registration has concluded. Maybe have people line up and register one at a time. Even with 89 people this should be faster then just having everyone run up to Mcoy and spam hails/tells. If we were able to get a conga line with 50+ people going, we can form a line! (it will also be easier to organize if people knew the restrictions ahead of time and where they wanted to be).

Maybe also have a couple volunteers who people can go to just to ask questions. Non quest givers, just information givers. If people had questions they had no choice but to go to the quest givers, who were already inundated.

Another idea I have is to have quests restricted to players under a certain level. That would be challenging to figure out how to do, given that it is hard level-wise and faction-wise for some low level toons to interact with the area around EC. Just an example, maybe just give them a certain beta neutral NPC to run to, like the gypsies in lavastorm, to purchase something (compass for instance, though you'd have to charm bubar in EC tunnel since he sells it). Run there and back. Just something targeted to people under lvl 20. The fishing quest also could have been restricted to under lvl 20s. As soon as I got to the lake to fish, a lvl 60 in Aftermath had already fished up and linked the quest piece. While I agree with others that people should not be upset about loot, it would be nice if lowbies/noobies were targeted to win. Maybe make a bunch of lvl 5-20 quests to weed out tunnel mules. Also make really hard quests for the raid tier toons. Give something that everyone can do.

Just some ideas/thoughts. You guys had an awesome event. Lots of things could be tweaked, but I would say that event will go down in p99 history as one of the coolest events ever. I won nothing, but had a ton of fun. The quests and the race were amazing. I made it to the Feerrot then got killed by a gator. That was a blast. You should do races in other places too. I liked that it went through some seriously dangerous territory. Maybe do a lvl 1 barbarian race to the back of Permafrost lol. The server would be privileged if you did anything close to this next year. Thank you for a really fun night.

skarlorn
12-20-2017, 06:51 PM
JESUS CHRIST THE PICS OF HALFLING RACE ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE

zodium
12-20-2017, 06:53 PM
A few images from the halfling race (wish I had more!)

https://i.imgur.com/pRxDlpl.jpg

praise bristlebane!

skarlorn
12-20-2017, 07:01 PM
the swarm of halflings makes me fucking cry with joy

Tanon
12-20-2017, 08:55 PM
Much thanks to Speedi hooking me up with the Necklace of Superiority.

mcoy
12-20-2017, 08:58 PM
That's one down - now we just need Potatoball to login...

-Mcoy

Lhancelot
12-20-2017, 09:13 PM
JESUS CHRIST THE PICS OF HALFLING RACE ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE

Look like a bunch of ants that need a good stomping.

LiQuid
12-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Sad I missed it, but fortunate on one hand cuz being around that many halflings would have triggered me into a fetal position for sure.

PabloEdvardo
12-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Incredible idea, however I encountered numerous problems in execution (especially apparent as a first-time participant). Reminds me of doing food catering, all the things you wish you'd thought of beforehand start barreling into your face the moment you're in the thick of it, and the best you can do is grit your teeth and hope you make it to the end :)

Here's some notes for ideas on how to improve things should another one of these events happen in the future:

1) Have someone host the stream that follows everything the whole way. That means not just covering the raffle, but giving status updates on the progress of the quests and answering questions people have. e.g. don't have a participant or coordinator running the stream, instead the host should have 100% focus on the stream and covering the event itself.

2) Delay the actual start of the event to give time to explain how things will work and do dry runs etc. e.g. start at 6EST but don't actually start raffling till say 6:30. Give time for people to plan on being there for the 'start', but then you have some buffer time for people who are a little late or who need questions answered, etc. Also gives you some breathing room buffer in case you have technical problems.

3) Raffle: declare on the forum post that it's announced and tracked on 'twitch.tv', requires a character in EC at the same time, and you can win multiple items

4) Raffle: announce the keyword for /every item/. The announcer rarely actually said the keyword which meant you had to hope the chat spam was correct, and you had to be constantly paying attention to stream chat, which can be hard if you're alt-tabbing between the game and the stream.

5) Quest: declare all restrictions on the forum post (some things that weren't clear: items had restrictions, there would be a race, races would start from EC, the item restrictions did or didn't apply to the character racing, whether you could just buy the parts, whether you could use ports, how any of it is enforced, how do you know when you're finished).

6) Quest: do not start the quests at the same time unless you can ensure all quests are announced and the quest givers are ready at the same time (they were not). There's no real need to start them at the same time since they are not all going to complete at the same time.

7) Quest: Schedule the quests ahead of time -- if people were supposed to be allowed to participate in multiple quests, some were unable to because while they were still in the middle of one quest, you started additional quests. Limiting everyone to participating in only one phase 2 quest may have been helpful to avoid issues and allow you to fully schedule it so people know where and when they need to be, with which character, for the one item they want to race for.

8) Quest: Validate the quest criteria. Example: the bard quest had a problem where the Gnomish 'Racial Alcohol' was actually a drop from a gnome-faction mob, thus bards would have to risk faction to get it, or buy it from someone else. I think this was a mistake and the quest author thought it was purchasable in AkAnon and not a drop in SolA. (Not to mention that you had to have DE mask for half of it, which also eliminated many bards from participating!)

9) Quest: Reduce the number and/or simplify the quests, or as others said, spread the event starts across multiple zones. It was clear that some volunteers came last minute and their timing was off, or they were overwhelmed, or people didn't get registered, etc. People getting upset just because they didn't win something is silly, but getting upset because communication was problematic or because some had clear advantages, are valid concerns.

Thanks for hosting the event!

Happy Holidays!

Sorn
12-21-2017, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

I'll address one of the points I see being brought up a few times, which is the assumption that DoF has a surplus of volunteers and can add extra positions like '100% streamer/reporter' or 'info dude'. We do not have that many volunteers. Those are luxury volunteer positions.

I will now consider anyone making 5 paragraphs of detailed suggestions to be volunteers for the next event. Come help me make DoF events better and more fun! :D If you're inclined to type that much, you'll be really dedicated as a real volunteer!!

I have a good idea of what we'd need to improve and what to change if we do a giant player quest event again. Which, hopefully, we won't, because we will stick to nice small quest events that have all the volunteers and only one quest and it can be an epic adventure through Norrath that showcases our creativity.

skarlorn
12-21-2017, 01:49 AM

I'll address one of the points I see being brought up a few times, which is the assumption that DoF has a surplus of volunteers and can add extra positions like '100% streamer/reporter' or 'info dude'. We do not have that many volunteers. Those are luxury volunteer positions.

I will now consider anyone making 5 paragraphs of detailed suggestions to be volunteers for the next event. Come help me make DoF events better and more fun! :D If you're inclined to type that much, you'll be really dedicated as a real volunteer!!

I have a good idea of what we'd need to improve and what to change if we do a giant player quest event again. Which, hopefully, we won't, because we will stick to nice small quest events that have all the volunteers and only one quest and it can be an epic adventure through Norrath that showcases our creativity.

*loads his bow and arrow*

*points at the crowd*

You heard Sorn say it. 5 paragraphees are now drafted into service for the Department of Fun. Department mandate WILL be executed.

Akg49
12-21-2017, 02:45 AM
Then cancel two of the quests you had, and put the info guys/constant streamer in. I guarantee you it would have been a much better event if people just had their questions answered.

I'd be happy to help though.

Sorn
12-21-2017, 03:14 AM
I'd be happy to help though.

*pounces!*

RaMaR
12-21-2017, 06:27 AM
^

bloodmuffin
12-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Thought the raffle/race was the right way to do it. The quests were the biggest cluster fuck though, ended up helping out the newbs who got shafted by the bard/port classes.

Acyn
12-21-2017, 11:10 AM

I was there, didn't win a thing but loved the whole event. It was fun.

I didn't do the race. I left when it started to try to do a Jboots MQ. Hasten wasn't up but I was treated to a stream of Halflings running through the zone.

You guys did great! Thanks for making it all happen.

Esran

Legidias
12-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Quests are a nice idea, but could use some work to ensure fairness and easiness of communication:

Declare what zone quests will take place in. Have the quest giver be IN that zone and announce in EC tunnel what zone to get to. Give people like 10-20 mins to get there. Then the quest giver can just use w/e zone wide chat of choice to say all the quest bits, so they dont have to deal with like 80 diff tell messages and people arent spammed by everything all the time from multiple people.

Movespeed classes still have an advantage, but you really cant get past that.

Miauler
12-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the event, even if I didn't win. As a low level casual player for a few months now, it was really cool having an opportunity to win items that I'd otherwise never see. I really loved the streaming Christmas music, heh.

One thing I'll echo is that quests need to be announced in the stream. I never knew if I was supposed to be following the shout channel or the stream, so I ended up missing the first round of quests as the instructions got drowned out in the chat spam. Really cool event guys, thanks again.

utenan
12-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Thank you Speedi for hosting this event, and collecting / purchasing tons of prizes, and doing the raffle, and streaming the whole thing, and anything else you may have done that I'm not aware of!
Thank you Sorn for writing all those quests, and testing them, and collecting all the items, and writing out all the dialogue for easy macro making, and trying to recruit volunteers, and dealing with the stress of what looked to me like a living nightmare of problems!
Thank you donators for donating so much, and volunteers for volunteering, and the GMs - I saw you there! I see everything!

You guys sacrificed your time and spent a lot of energy to do all of this, so people could experience an event, and have fun, and maybe win some items, and you didn't have to do any of it... but you did anyways because you're great people! There, I said it. You're great too staff members, for the exact same reasons!

I don't think I've ever seen a player ran event in any other game or emu server before, outside of actual classic EQ, and it's events like these that reaffirm my belief that Everquest, and Project 1999 are special, and that's largely due to the community. I may be a social pariah irl but I can still recognize awesome people when I see them gosh dangit

Have a happy Everquest everyone!

skarlorn
12-22-2017, 07:22 PM
i just wish there were a few more loud mouthed dissenters who would post here crying about how turrible the event was that would really flesh out the void in my soul filled by p99 forums

Vareous
12-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Here is a short video of the event:

https://youtu.be/E5i4CLkAMAI

A big thank you to all the organisers and contributors of the event, it was good fun despite all the grinch lords out there.

Merry Christmas!

Sorn
12-24-2017, 03:18 PM

A big thank you to all the organisers and contributors of the event, it was good fun despite all the grinch lords out there.

Merry Christmas!

A+ trail of halfling corpses

Aalderon Crystafire
12-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Love it.

kempoguy80
12-24-2017, 05:28 PM
i just wish there were a few more loud mouthed dissenters who would post here crying about how turrible the event was that would really flesh out the void in my soul filled by p99 forums

There's a rumor kaybee cheated. There you go!

Mblake1981
12-24-2017, 09:59 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a player ran event in any other game or emu server before, outside of actual classic EQ, and it's events like these that reaffirm my belief that Everquest, and Project 1999 are special, and that's largely due to the community. Have a happy Everquest everyone!

Merry Christmas!

Shine bright.

A+ Kraddok corpse