-stands to make some classes (hi2u BFG rangers) OP

Benefits:

-Endgame is bloated with level 60s with nowhere to go
-Endgame and high end zones see influx of xp seekers 24/7 - more groups
-Something to do after you ding 60
-Makes raiding less 'zergy'
-Balances many classes that were less than great in classic through velious
-spreads out the leveling population
-extends life of server without requiring huge time investment on further expansions
-lets blue become something different while prepping for the inevitable "green" server that will follow classic timeline/patches/whatever

It's as simple as adding the deleted code back in and flipping the switch to "ON".

Thoughts?

branamil
11-08-2017, 01:20 PM
It's as simple as adding the deleted code back in and flipping the switch to "ON".

Do you have any idea how software works? At all?

Argh
11-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Spend eight years to recreate classic, then add AAs?

Robbintha Hood
11-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Do you have any idea how software works? At all?

He does not.

Izmael
11-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Thread is going places.

Dreenk317
11-08-2017, 01:26 PM
lets further trivialize, trivial content, YAY!!!

Amyas
11-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Would need hard content to go along with it.

indiscriminate_hater
11-08-2017, 01:44 PM
classic, approved

ZarkinFrood
11-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Gross.

NecroP99
11-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Would rather see Beastlords and a couple of custom zones. I want Cats but no moon

Lojik
11-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Calm down, AA will be back monopolizing content in a few days

Troxx
11-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Mwa ha ha!

Fifield
11-08-2017, 02:56 PM
We already have tanks with 6750 hp in Velius. If you added AA's. man it would be stupid how little dmg they would take and how easy these dragons would die.

They already die easy, no need to make it easier. even if AA's would be fun.

If your looking for fun, play agnarr, aa's will be out in like 3 months and you can have your fun there.

mcoy
11-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Next thing they'll try and petition bring back focus effects! Seriously though, you'd see people exploiting xp again to grind out the OP AA's and then they'd be off soloing even more stuff and tying up camps that, at the moment, only a select number of classes can handle. In my opinion, it'd make the end-game worse and not better, especially for the lower levels.

Does anyone remember groups having AA requirements to join? Not again, thank you!

-Mcoy

Daldaen
11-08-2017, 03:05 PM
We already have tanks with 6750 hp in Velius. If you added AA's. man it would be stupid how little dmg they would take and how easy these dragons would die.

They already die easy, no need to make it easier. even if AA's would be fun.

If your looking for fun, play agnarr, aa's will be out in like 3 months and you can have your fun there.

Could couple AA addition with removal of soulfire/reaper click by all, capping Clicky Hate at the correct 400 aggro for non-class spells, and implementing correct proxy aggro. Then it should even out.

Raid mobs are stupidly easy because 60 people on the raid brings the potential for 360 free instant complete heals to cover gaps in CH chains, and full mallet and puppet string dumps equaling 10k+ raw Hate due to incorrect Hate values on clickies leads to monks and rangers easily speedbumping inbetween tank deaths.

Add AAs and fix those broken clickies simultaneously and raids will likely become harder not easier.

Pokesan
11-08-2017, 03:08 PM

loramin
11-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Project 1999 goes to Velious; that's it. As others have said, this project has been going on for eight years, and for eight years the staff has consistently (in every single instance) said that they will not be adding Luclin to Project 1999. They have also made it very clear that their goal is not to create the best MMOG possible, but to faithfully create "classic" (through Velious) Everquest. This means that when someone says "but ____ would make the server better" it falls on deaf ears, because they don't care about "better", only "classic".

Now, with all that being said, there is still some slight hope of AAs on P99. After the "green"/"recycle" server (aka the true goal of Project 1999) is released the team is considering adding custom content to blue. They have mentioned in the past that part of that custom content could include a way to get certain AA abilities in a non-traditional fashion.

For instance, while they'd still leave most AAs out the devs might bring back Cannabalize 5 for Shaman. To get it you wouldn't need AA experience: instead you'd need to complete some sort of epic quest. But that's just the basic idea that has been proposed: even having any custom content at all is uncertain (as far as I know at least), and having quest-based AAs is even less certain.

Sage Truthbearer
11-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Introducing AAs into a Velious-locked server is a horrible idea.

Sonderbeast
11-08-2017, 03:37 PM
I'd like to also suggest that we also add PoT, just PoT, no mobs, no items nothing in between, just PoT.

420 yall

Jimjam
11-08-2017, 03:45 PM
For instance, while they'd still leave most AAs out the devs might bring back Cannabalize 5 for Shaman. To get it you wouldn't need AA experience: instead you'd need to complete some sort of epic quest. But that's just the basic idea that has been proposed: even having any custom content at all is uncertain (as far as I know at least), and having quest-based AAs is even less certain.

AAs unlocked through achievements would be awesome.

Canni yourself to death 100 times? Grats, you unlocked canni 5!

Please no AA on p99 tho.

loramin
11-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Canni yourself to death 100 times? Grats, you unlocked canni 5!

I love this idea, if only for the image of Norath being covered with the corpses of suicidal level 60 Shaman the day the patch comes out. :D

Kohedron
11-08-2017, 04:20 PM
They should add stuff like this to red because

a) Keep Project 1999 Blue 100% classic experience
b) Give a potential benefit for playing on red
c) Worst case scenario is people leave red from strange additions but then that makes it even easier to wipe it clean 2018

Tuurin
11-08-2017, 04:32 PM
The idea of "giving people something to do at 60" is invalid. The way this server runs, it would be about a weekend before the same people who are "bored" at 60 currently would be maxxed AAs and then just bored again with nothing to do but grief each other and cause headaches for CS. AAs don't change the end game dynamic at all, other than making already trivial content more trivial.

MMO RPGs fundamentally are designed to keep adding content- as characters gain in strength, the game world gets harder. Hence the flaw in the end game on this server. If you aren't willing to start over and reroll, then of course the game gets stale. The game literally gets easier every time a character gets an upgrade.

loramin
11-08-2017, 05:25 PM
a) Keep Project 1999 Blue 100% classic experience

Just to clarify, if Blue (which is not 100% classic BTW) ever gets custom content it will only happen after the Green/Recycle server is released. That server will progress along the classic timeline (ie. no years and years of Kunark like Blue had), and as such will be even more classic than Blue.

Once Green is out Blue will just be a less classic second fiddle to Green (and a possible dumping ground for characters from Green every two years), and that's the point when it might make sense to add custom content to it. It would never happen before Green, which is to say it would never make the most classic server less classic.

aaezil
11-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Project 1999 goes to Velious; that's it. As others have said, this project has been going on for eight years, and for eight years the staff has consistently (in every single instance) said that they will not be adding Luclin to Project 1999. They have also made it very clear that their goal is not to create the best MMOG possible, but to faithfully create "classic" (through Velious) Everquest. This means that when someone says "but ____ would make the server better" it falls on deaf ears, because they don't care about "better", only "classic".

Now, with all that being said, there is still some slight hope of AAs on P99. After the "green"/"recycle" server (aka the true goal of Project 1999) is released the team is considering adding custom content to blue. They have mentioned in the past that part of that custom content could include a way to get certain AA abilities in a non-traditional fashion.

Not entirely true though. things like fte messages and 16 hr variance on raid mobs were *non classic* things added by devs to make this server better.

Rygar
11-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Not entirely true though. things like fte messages and 16 hr variance on raid mobs were *non classic* things added by devs to make this server better.

Evidence was posted in Bug forum (see thread: What was classic variance? (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242181&highlight=classic+variance)).

Some compelling evidence was given that mobs had 17-34hr variance. Change could be coming some day soon.

And I believe FTE is to help reduce petitions on over-burdened CSRs.

The only non-classic things are like removing plat duping exploits that existed in era, un-balanced legacy weapons, and certain other exceptions (such as PBAoE which staff has explained their reasons behind).

Dolalin
11-08-2017, 05:44 PM
The more years go by, the more I warm up to the idea of Luclin. It makes a lot of sense and I think it should happen eventually.

Lhancelot
11-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Once Green is out Blue will just be a less classic second fiddle to Green (and a possible dumping ground for characters from Green every two years), and that's the point when it might make sense to add custom content to it. It would never happen before Green, which is to say it would never make the most classic server less classic.

Looking forward to this all happening. Just hoping my nursing home will have the proper technology to let me play P99 Green Custom when it happens.

loramin
11-08-2017, 05:54 PM

I'm confused, as I said Blue was not 100% classic:

Just to clarify, if Blue (which is not 100% classic BTW)

... and you said that wasn't true by providing instances of things that aren't 100% classic? I mean, Rygar explained perfectly why they are the way they are, but still, it was a little strange to argue with things that just reinforced what I said.

Canelek
11-08-2017, 08:22 PM
One of the last tings this server needs is an influx of people into leveling zones.

I too am looking forward to green server for accurate timeline and fresh economy.

Muggens
11-08-2017, 10:04 PM
If u want AAs on p99 I suggest taking a break from the game

Troxx
11-09-2017, 02:01 AM
I love the discussion :D

khandman
11-09-2017, 03:39 AM
no ta

Secrets
11-09-2017, 03:40 AM
No, fuck no.

At least suggest something that isn't completely gamebreaking for the era, like focus effects. Come on now.

Baler
11-09-2017, 03:41 AM
Not Classic

No

topgun1027
11-09-2017, 03:49 AM
Spend eight years to recreate classic, then add AAs?

Not 100% classic server here..

Jimjam
11-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Not 100% classic server here..

Yes, and the idea is to move closer to classic so a 'true classic' server can be released, not to move the beta (blue) further away.

Don't forget, you are currently only in the open beta for the real p99 server.
I love this idea, if only for the image of Norath being covered with the corpses of suicidal level 60 Shaman the day the patch comes out. :D

Obviously you keep the mechanics of the achievements secret, and don't notify the players of exactly what they did when the unlocks happen :D

Llandris
11-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/qmbkAz4.gif

Lhancelot
11-09-2017, 09:38 AM

lol.

Well, critical hits for wizards would be a nice addition and it wouldn't be gamebreaking.

Troxx
11-09-2017, 11:04 AM

lol :D

dbouya
11-09-2017, 11:58 AM
There's no reason at all to add AA's without ALSO adding harder enemies. Which would be a ton of work, even if you were going to add luclin it would be a ton of work, if you WEREN'T going to start with a luclin framework it would be even harder.

Hrothgar
11-09-2017, 02:53 PM
What if, like, there was a meta server. Like, you want that next level p99 experience, you’re max lvl 60, you do a quest to get the “broken server key,” you click the ToFS top floor door or something in the cervix area of the Hole (thereby encouraging more people to go to the cool zone), and POOF. What’s on the other side? No discourse on forums allowed. No taking to your friends because it /blocks you from conversing in game with people on the “other side.”

Mead
11-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Foxplay
11-10-2017, 06:54 AM
As much as I love to grind that exp bar and love AA points I have to say absolutely not...

Not classic, completely against the point of p99.

MappaEQ
11-10-2017, 10:49 AM
No

Danth
11-10-2017, 01:44 PM
There's no reason at all to add AA's without ALSO adding harder enemies..

Of course, once you add those harder enemies, now you're stuck grinding Alt. Advance just to wind up, in the end, at the same relative power level versus relevant content that you're already at to begin with. Your numbers get bigger, monster numbers get bigger....the relative proportions don't change. AA's are fool's gold. P99 provides sufficient content for a casual player to play a character for years at level cap before running out of things to do. Don't fall into the trap of turning the game into "Progress Bar Quest" and forget that getting things done isn't synonymous with filling up some meter.

Danth

trite
11-10-2017, 01:52 PM
AA are too powerful and this game already has an endless endgame...it will take you multiple years to get full best in slot gear and that's if you have no job and don't sleep and spend all your time on p99...

Amyas
11-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Custom content + luclin AAs..........

WTB reroll as ranger..........

Buellen
11-10-2017, 02:10 PM
No, fuck no.

effects. Come on now.

Almost peed my pants laughing to secret response!

TimTheToolmanTaylor
11-10-2017, 02:38 PM
can we get a petition for dyes?

loramin
11-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Those were from Legacy of Ykesha; if P99 isn't getting Luclin or Planes of Power, it's really unlikely to get LoY.

Also, it wouldn't help that LoY was a rather unpopular expansion. The thing is though, what made LoY unpopular is exactly what would make it way more classic/appropriate to P99 than those other expansions. If you leave out the things the devs here might not want, like maybe playable Frogloks, their take-over of Guk, and/or dyes, adding LoY would just add five new zones off of Stonebrunt that <60 level characters without AAs could handle. The zones don't have any amazing broken equipment, but they would add fun new pirate-themed places to level that would totally fit into the P99 classic world.

Jimjam
11-10-2017, 05:21 PM
LoY was the best expansion, tied with LDoN!

I think I am the only person in the world with this opinion though.

maskedmelon
11-10-2017, 06:18 PM
i actually lieked ldon, but never partook of Y's legacy.

Daldaen
11-10-2017, 06:27 PM
LoY was a ton of client/code fixes that people take for granted or forget.

Cycle target? Do you enjoy your easymode P99 targetting? Thank LoY.
Scroll wheel to 3rd person. Enjoy being able to easily change your view without cycling or memorizing F9 views and panning around to get an optimal angle? Thank LoY.
8 extra bank slots? LoY again
Bard Song Window? Yep LoY.
Raid window allowing for 12 group leaders as opposed to just 10? Also locking the raid and manually moving people between groups? LoY fixed that PoP introduction.
85/15 Flagging rules for PoP and every later flag based zone? LoY did that.

dbouya
11-10-2017, 07:48 PM
I also really liked ldon, it was possible to tank ldon hard's with a PoP geared shadowknight. I liked that ldon's were 100% always up, but their rewards were low enough that people still wanted to race over PoP and GoD type gear. However when nothing was up for you to race towards ldon provided a decent backup activity you could always do.

I think that's a great way to use instancing. Don't just instance all the top tier raid targets like daybreak does. Instance b-tier raid targets instead. Something like instanced raid zones from 1-2 expansions behind the current expansion doesn't really break the competitive nature of PvE raiding in everquest 1. This thought can't really help p99, but I wish daybreak could learn from it. Although daybreak's TLP's are so badly written as to not be classic at all in the first place, so who cares.

Wonder if classic WoW will do it any better? I actually enjoyed MMORPG's until burning crusade came out (yeah that means I tolerated luclin and PoP) and I quit them all forever. (I would've stuck with omens of war but my casual raiding guild disbanded the day after WoW came out and tunare marr lost about 90% of it's playerbase in one day).

Lulz~Sect
11-10-2017, 10:48 PM
not classic