PDA

View Full Version : Connections between Game of Thrones and Everquest

Lhancelot
11-19-2017, 01:06 PM
I keep running across things in Norrath that remind me of Game of Thrones, I realize some of it probably is coincidence, but is it?

https://i.imgur.com/vzFjrsZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/IITu2Sx.png

Did Everquest inspire some of the GoT producers? Perhaps some of them played EQ?

Mythanor
11-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Not to point out the obvious... but GoT was a book before a TV show, so if EQ inspired anyone, it would be GRRM , not a bunch of *producers*.

Triiz
11-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Not to point out the obvious... but GoT was a book before a TV show, so if EQ inspired anyone, it would be GRRM , not a bunch of *producers*.

The books were out before EQ was released says the internet.

Lhancelot
11-19-2017, 01:41 PM

Well I don't know the history of the TV show etc., never read any GoT books sorry to be ignorant of that fact. I only know the show from TV. :p

MiRo2
11-19-2017, 01:54 PM
The first two books were published before EQ launched.

paulgiamatti
11-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Tons of ASOIAF-inspired content in EQ, news at 11.

Lhancelot
11-19-2017, 02:10 PM
How old are the books then? I should check them out wonder if they decent to read, I had no idea they were written so long ago. :o

loramin
11-19-2017, 02:28 PM
How old are the books then? I should check them out wonder if they decent to read, I had no idea they were written so long ago. :o

If you like Tolkien, go for it. If you (like me) can't stand the way Tolkien spends pages and pages describing how pretty the trees and mountains are then you'll probably dislike GRRM. He does the same exact thing, only instead of spending pages on trees he spends them on the long family lineages of people you won't even care about for two books (if then).

Personally when it comes to book vs. TV/movie I almost always prefer the book. However in those two cases (even though I read all of LotR) I'm glad we have an alternative to the original authors' prose ... and not just because it's cool to see dragons on-screen ;)

On a complete tangent, when are we going to get a Dragonlance TV show/movie trilogy? The animated one they made was pretty cool, but a proper LotR/GoT live-action version would be epic.

Lhancelot
11-19-2017, 03:47 PM
If you like Tolkien, go for it. If you (like me) can't stand the way Tolkien spends pages and pages describing how pretty the trees and mountains are then you'll probably dislike GRRM. He does the same exact thing, only instead of spending pages on trees he spends them on the long family lineages of people you won't even care about for two books (if then).

Personally when it comes to book vs. TV/movie I almost always prefer the book. However in those two cases (even though I read all of LotR) I'm glad we have an alternative to the original authors' prose ... and not just because it's cool to see dragons on-screen ;)

On a complete tangent, when are we going to get a Dragonlance TV show/movie trilogy? The animated one they made was pretty cool, but a proper LotR/GoT live-action version would be epic.

I tried to read Tolkien stuff when I was younger and never got through any of his books I tried to read. I just vaguely recall it moving at a very slow pace and I didn't find it interesting. I probably should try reading some of Tolkien's books now, maybe I'd be able to appreciate them more. I think I was spoiled by reading R.A. Salvatore's D&D books when I tried to read LOTR. it was around that time iirc.

Muggens
11-19-2017, 03:51 PM
If you like Tolkien, go for it. If you (like me) can't stand the way Tolkien spends pages and pages describing how pretty the trees and mountains are then you'll probably dislike GRRM. He does the same exact thing, only instead of spending pages on trees he spends them on the long family lineages of people you won't even care about.

I thought he spent pages detailing flacid penises?

Lhancelot
11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Jofrey and Sansa just common names

But they there together! What are the chances? Plus, I never met a Sansa or a Joffrey.

I think this actually proves that the creators of Everquest read Game of Throne books.

fadetree
11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I can't tell you how many Sansa's and Jofrey's I went to high school with. Oh wait-- I can: None. Common names where?

Lhancelot
11-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I can't tell you how many Sansa's and Jofrey's I went to high school with. Oh wait-- I can: None. Common names where?

rofl!

Secrets
11-19-2017, 07:45 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20020203044116/amtgard.pinkpig.com/everquest/easterquest.htm

Lots of references to different pop culture stuff in EQ.

In EQ2, there's also Sir Loros Highgarden from "The Shadow Odyssey" expansion, which is also a reference to "A Song of Ice and Fire": http://eq2.zam.com/db/mob.html?eq2mob=f454480a0d29e9bbeb9e67188b3e3832

loramin
11-19-2017, 08:05 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20020203044116/amtgard.pinkpig.com/everquest/easterquest.htm

Lots of references to different pop culture stuff in EQ.

In Qeynos, you'll find a couple of merchants named Sansa Nusk and Joffrey Clay. Sansa and Joffrey are characters from the "Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin.
Thanks to Meraxos Grayswandir (Veeshan)

paulgiamatti
11-19-2017, 09:24 PM
There are lots of subtle references all over the place - Drogan Obsidian Dagger (https://wiki.project1999.com/Drogan_Obsidian_Dagger), for instance. Drogon is Daenerys' main dragon, obsidian is often used interchangeably with Dragonglass, which causes the White Walkers to shatter, with Effect: Obsidian Shatter. Come to think of it, Droga could just be a play on Drogo. I notice stuff like this in EQ all the time but seldom remember it. In any case, EQ is hugely derivative of J.R.R. Tolkien and G.R.R. Martin.

Lhancelot
11-19-2017, 10:12 PM
There are lots of subtle references all over the place - Drogan Obsidian Dagger (https://wiki.project1999.com/Drogan_Obsidian_Dagger), for instance. Drogon is Daenerys' main dragon, obsidian is often used interchangeably with Dragonglass, which causes the White Walkers to shatter, with Effect: Obsidian Shatter. Come to think of it, Droga could just be a play on Drogo. I notice stuff like this in EQ all the time but seldom remember it. In any case, EQ is hugely derivative of J.R.R. Tolkien and G.R.R. Martin.

Too bad all this stuff isn't compiled I would find it pretty interesting just to go through all the possible subtle references that Everquest has in it.

loramin
11-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Too bad all this stuff isn't compiled

Pokesan
11-19-2017, 11:00 PM
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night"

there was a guild on my server called Darkstar Sisterhood

Utmost
11-20-2017, 12:10 AM
https://www.relix.com/news/detail/george_rr_martin_confirms_grateful_dead_references _in_game_of_thrones

jakerees
11-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Weird. I always thought Everquest took more inspiration from Star Trek

Mead
11-20-2017, 09:13 AM

I'm with you on this one. I had an easier time getting through Leviticus than I did reading GoT. It just wasn't enjoyable for me.

d3r14k
11-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Also GRRM will spent 3 pages about the different dishes at feast. Roast capon, stuffed chickens, hot pies, toasted sweet rolls. He writes about food only the way a fat man could.

Personally, I love it.

Lhancelot
11-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Also GRRM will spent 3 pages about the different dishes at feast. Roast capon, stuffed chickens, hot pies, toasted sweet rolls. He writes about food only the way a fat man could.

Personally, I love it.

I probably couldn't read his stuff if this is how it is, lol. Oh well.

Check12345
11-20-2017, 12:20 PM
:Spoiler:
Viserion gets singled and ganked next to the winterfell gate. Drops a cloth hat.

skarlorn
11-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Yes, but what about my Silmarils?