PDA

View Full Version : Venril Sathir question/discussion.

nilbog
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I fought VS on live maybe 3 or 4 times.. and never as MT. I know he frequently procs Deadly Lifetap. That is working fine.

Allakhazam's indicates he has a spell as well: Sathir's Mesmerization
(http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=834)
All of the oldest information I can find doesn't mention this mes.

Is the mes classic? When did he start using it?

Wotsirb401
03-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I used to MT him, I do not recall this mezz being used at all. I played up until GoD came out. I could be wrong but I do not recall this

regatta
03-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes I've talked to a few people and along with his aoe lifetap, he casts a single target mez.

Shiftin
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
don't remember it but that doesn't mean much :)

azeth
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
afaik he's Maestro 2.0 with single target 20-30 second cooldown mez.

regatta
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM
afaik he's Maestro 2.0 with single target 20-30 second cooldown mez.

Exactly

ElanoraBryght
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
http://wave99244.yuku.com/topic/146
Continent: Kunark

Level: 55
Hit Points: ~18K HP
Mob Type: Iksar Necro
Melee Damage: Around 500
Melee Procs:
Deadly Lifetap - Magic based lure (1500) (Resist Gear - His Lifetap is near unresistable, no resist gear needed. Tank needs around 225 MR to have resist chance.)
Factions Hits:
-Venril Sathir

Loot
Ancient Shissar Gauntlet
Blackened Iksar Bones
Blood Ember Greaves
Cobalt Greaves
Deepwater Greaves
Diamond Encrusted Staff
Donal's Leggings of Mourning:
Elder Spiritist's Greaves
Gnarled Staff
Jaundiced Bone Greaves
Lycanthropic Staff
Mrylokar's Greaves
Nightshade Scented Staff
Shissar Guardian Staff
Shissar Nullifier Staff
Singing Steel Greaves
Spell: Plainsight
Tolan's Darkwood Greaves
Wild Lord's Trousers
Shackle of Scale (Quest)
The Staff of the Four (Wizard Epic)
Nature Walker's Scimitar (Druid Epic)
Shaman Skull Quest No. 8 (Quest)

azeth
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
[url]Loot
Ancient Shissar Gauntlet
Blackened Iksar Bones
Blood Ember Greaves
Cobalt Greaves
Deepwater Greaves
Diamond Encrusted Staff
Donal's Leggings of Mourning:
Elder Spiritist's Greaves
Gnarled Staff
Jaundiced Bone Greaves
Lycanthropic Staff
Mrylokar's Greaves
Nightshade Scented Staff
Shissar Guardian Staff
Shissar Nullifier Staff
Singing Steel Greaves
Spell: Plainsight
Tolan's Darkwood Greaves
Wild Lord's Trousers
Shackle of Scale (Quest)
The Staff of the Four (Wizard Epic)
Nature Walker's Scimitar (Druid Epic)
Shaman Skull Quest No. 8 (Quest)

afaik these have a 50-60% chance of dropping per kill, ty.

Harrison
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I've killed him countless times and don't remember the mez. *shrug*

Rais
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I never knew of this effect or when it went in. As far as I remember, Main tank would gain agro/buffers buffed during fight and dps burn down before the buffers ran out of mana. Was never any worry of a Mez.

If I recall there was a spawned Venril Sathir added later. Maybe that had the Single Target Mez?

FWIW I know first hand it wasn't in during manaburn season. Maybe they added it to the Fabled Venril Sathir? I know manaburn was after Kunark, I'm just trying to help provide a time frame.

regatta
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
You don't remember hiding around the corner to avoid the mez? For casters/clerics at least. It wasn't a game-breaking thing but it was there.

Alawen Everywhere
03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I remember the mez. It was never a big deal in the fights because it could be broken by doting yourself or crimson potions, which is why most people probably don't remember it. And what Burple said--the casters all hid behind the entrance wall.

Rais
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Ok I think I do remember that, not 100% sure tho. I remember running around to the corner of his room when we did it,but it could be just for the placement. Don't think I was ever hit by it since I was a pansy wizard running around. Thanks for the old time memories!

Ruinous
03-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I do not recall VS ever having the ability to mez. As my memory serves, wizards could solo him at some point. I never heard of them complaining that he kept mezzing them.

I'm also digging through archived eqbestiary pages for him. They don't seem to add spells used to later on, but in all of the strategies posted by members on his page from the 2000-2001 era, they mention only the rune. Perhaps this is because he has relatively low HP if the fight is done correctly? Not sure. I've had some failed attempts on him back in the day and never got mezzed.

guineapig
03-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Couple questions because we killed him very infrequently on live and have no recollection of the encounter:

Deadly Lifetap - Magic based lure (1500) (Resist Gear - His Lifetap is near unresistable, no resist gear needed. Tank needs around 225 MR to have resist chance.)
This comment seems to contradict itself..

Also the mez that Nilbog linked is a PB AoE mez, not a single target one. Which one would have been classic?

There is a comment in 2006 about him being soloed with no mez but the poster commented that maybe he only uses the AoE mez when there are multiple people in range or on his hate list? I don't honestly know, just digging around.

Ruinous
03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Sathir's Mesmerization doesn't get added to EQBestiary until 2004 - this is the first time anyone even mentions it on his page as well. Someone asks if it is a new effect added in for the OOW era. Still pretty vague as even in 2004 his only effect listed is the Mes and not Deadly Lifetap. However it would seem to lean towards the side of him not having it until later if nobody else mentions getting mez'd until that time.

Ruinous
03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
And now looking through Lucy spell history, it was added to that database in 2002 - however it seemed to be heavily modified in the 2004 era as mentioned in my post above.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=834&source=Live

Perhaps it was in but not functioning yet? No idea what those changes mean, however this one strikes me as being most valid:

2004-09-14 10:08 Changed Npc_usefulness from to 18

guineapig
03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
And now looking through Lucy spell history, it was added to that database in 2002 - however it seemed to be heavily modified in the 2004 era as mentioned in my post above.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=834&source=Live

Perhaps it was in but not functioning yet? No idea what those changes mean, however this one strikes me as being most valid:

2004-09-14 10:08 Changed Npc_usefulness from to 18

Just a heads up, nothing exists in Lucy before 2002. Not saying you guys are wrong about it being added to his spell list in 2004 but the spell itself existed years before.

guineapig
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
These are all the spells with VS's name in the title:

At any point in time these could have been swapped out for others (ignore the 3 SK spells):

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spelllist.html?searchtext=Sathir

Any of the spell descriptions sound familiar to anyone?

(EDIT: Looks like a few of those spells were added in 2005... oh well)

Chippy
03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
The mez is classic, he does have a single target mez. I remember getting mezzed on my cleric. He got nerfed sometime later when EQ was going through that whole dumbing down phase. Lemme try to find the patch for you.

Hasbinbad
03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
afaik these have a 50-60% chance of dropping per kill, ty.
rofl

Rasah
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
As my memory serves, wizards could solo him at some point. I never heard of them complaining that he kept mezzing them.

Are you perhaps thinking of the wizard mana-burn teams that would 1-shot kill him?

Kassel
03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
a mez every 30 seconds is not a big deal on a fight that only lasts 45 seconds.

azeth
03-09-2011, 02:46 PM

true, i really only remember the mez being a nuisance if your main tank caught it at a bad time. That is, if you were using a main tank.

guineapig
03-09-2011, 02:49 PM

The AoE mez would hit everyone in melee range and give VS time to syphon his health back and summon/kill off some casters. At least that's how the encounter should work. Also he was highly resistant to anything outside of Lure type nukes.

Hence why some remember having to hide around corners and what not.

Ele
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Are you perhaps thinking of the wizard mana-burn teams that would 1-shot kill him?

bunch of mercenaries

Chippy
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
The AoE mez would hit everyone in melee range and give VS time to syphon his health back and summon/kill off some casters. At least that's how the encounter should work. Also he was highly resistant to anything outside of Lure type nukes.

Well done. Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

azeth
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM

This does make perfect sense mechanically, I must be misremembering the mez being single target.

Chippy
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Also, why some remember having to manage there mana carefully :P

hedbonker
03-09-2011, 03:10 PM
The AE mez or any mez must be pre-velious I think. I killed this guy a shitload of times for epic when I ran my old guild on Torv. We wiped on 1st attempt and then it was no big deal after that. Around the time of Secrets of Faydwer I was soloing him on my cleric with ease and never got a mez from him.

Grizlor
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Also with most of the "deadly lifetap" mobs that would proc it on melee swings (SK epic guy in City of Mist also comes to mind) they would not proc if the damage was absorbed by a rune or some other sort of mechanic, hence many guilds using rune spam on their tanks for said fights. I remember necros soloing him later on (late planes of power?) by spamming that clicky from plane of time that cast Force Shield or some nonsense like that.