PDA

View Full Version : What does mandatory beta mean?

Curmudgen
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Only beta server available?

toxiqwurm
03-11-2011, 11:04 PM
I guess they want to stress the new zones or something - who knows

Exxon
03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I supposed it means exactly what it sounds like

Lagaidh
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Will someone please explain what is going on? I haven't been able to find the correct post or announcement. I'm not seeing it on the main page.

Server is shutting down. Some folks say it's for a whole day. I don't understand.

Marrhault
03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Its till tomorrow evening

Versus
03-11-2011, 11:24 PM
god damnit, nice timing ;/

Haul
03-11-2011, 11:30 PM
tough in the streets

Lagaidh
03-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah. There went my weekend plans. My mother-in-law's arriving tomorrow! Brell! Why have you forsaken me?

shuklak
03-11-2011, 11:34 PM
so only Kunark beta is available right now? if you didnt copy your character is it possible right now?...

Dantes
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
LOL. Had plans this weekend anyway. Oh well.

twizztid
03-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I cannot think of a better timing than Friday evening to shut a one and only server down for a day. /golf clap

Mcbard
03-11-2011, 11:37 PM

Brad_mo123
03-11-2011, 11:53 PM
LOL, sweet, i can just relax at home for a while. Thanks, dont have to worry about any bosses popping. Have fun testing beta like a slave guys while I relax in my lazy boy chair! :)

Wotsirb401
03-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I hope there is double xp starting tomorrow night. Missing a whole day of xp, I was going to ding 50 tonight.

Tammy
03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Im on live now and want to copy over to beta, but when i type in /beta nothing happens.
I've been waiting for like 5 min.
Is this command not valid for live currently?

Lagaidh
03-12-2011, 12:13 AM
I see EZ Server's population is little larger than most Fridays, hehe.

When I log into the beta server... there's just no NPCs.

baalzy
03-12-2011, 12:20 AM
The server in the prefered list is the p99 server in some mode where no mobs exist and you can't zone. Typing '/beta copy' should start a process that'll copy your character over to the beta test server (which you'll find in the larger server list).

Cribanox
03-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Really? Mandatory beta for 24 hours? There goes my friday/saturday morning plans for trying to hit 50 finally

Sephrana
03-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Some of you people are so damn whiney. Rogean and the others put in their time FOR FREE to put up this server and they are trying to get Kunark out ASAP (And OH LOOK at all the people who bitch about how long THAT Takes "WAHHHH Kunark isn't out yet!!!" "WAAAAH!! NOTHING TO DO!!!!" Yet NONE OF YOU take the time out to go over to the beta server and test.

So they make the beta mandatory for like 48 hours-ish - i have no idea what time the patch was/server came down/wtfe and all of you people are sitting around QQing because 'There go my weekend plans.'

seriously?

grow up.

How about STOP with the crying in the corner, log into the beta server and test it. so what - you lose a day's worth of XP - it's a game.

BFD.

This post has been brought to you by the lack of alcohol in my system :P

DarkRazzy
03-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Some of you people are so damn whiney. Rogean and the others put in their time FOR FREE to put up this server and they are trying to get Kunark out ASAP (And OH LOOK at all the people who bitch about how long THAT Takes "WAHHHH Kunark isn't out yet!!!" "WAAAAH!! NOTHING TO DO!!!!" Yet NONE OF YOU take the time out to go over to the beta server and test.

So they make the beta mandatory for like 48 hours-ish - i have no idea what time the patch was/server came down/wtfe and all of you people are sitting around QQing because 'There go my weekend plans.'

seriously?

grow up.

How about STOP with the crying in the corner, log into the beta server and test it. so what - you lose a day's worth of XP - it's a game.

BFD.

^^^^^^^

/agree

jilena
03-12-2011, 12:57 AM

seriously?

grow up.

BFD.

Brown noser.

Sephrana
03-12-2011, 01:13 AM
yes. clearly i'm a brown noser. Clearly i give a crap what Rogean and the others think about me. obv you are so right.

No - i'm just someone who deals with small people who run around and do nothing but whine and cry and bitch all day long (it's a very rewarding job, being a mommy, but still...children when they are below age 5 pretty much spend 90% of their day whining and crying about something or other. "But...I want the donut!" "But.....I don't want to play on beta!"

"He hit me!" ...... "They KS'd our raid!!!"
"He knocked my block tower over!" .... "They trained us!"
"I don't WANT to go to the store/go to the doctor/get a shot/get dressed/stop playing in the mud!" "I don't WANT to go play on beta/stop being a douche/stop whining"

See the correalation? I see enough of the behavior from my two littles who can NOT help it since they are LITTLE. They are 2 and 3.....you people are all at least 10 years old and if you are playing on P99 you are probably at least 18....

so quityerbitchin.

tl;dr - I'm a person with a low tolerance for bullshit and whining.

Uthgaard
03-12-2011, 01:20 AM
I propose that p99 implement some sort of a police ride along program. In return for a donation of some fixed size, the player is scheduled a time slot to have a ride along with Uthgaard for a couple hours on a Friday or Saturday night. Essentially, the player gets to be transported to the site of disputes (and made invisible!), get filled in on the backstory, made privy to the slew of angry tells and petitions, and observe the judgement or punishment that gets rendered. I feel like the entertainment value of this would be worth every penny.

Server chat tonight should give you just a small taste of what petitions are like.

Otto
03-12-2011, 01:28 AM
mandatory beta is like before the server launched. A period of time in which the server is only available for testing...

except this time its just 24 hours and not a year. Go test.

ownrage
03-12-2011, 01:32 AM
All you complaining idiots can go on live server...cause obviously there you pay for a service and should get your money's worth...

I mean seriously...you make a CONSCIOUS decision to play on this server that is free...

OMG I WANT DOUBLE XP, OMG WTF DEVS YOU CAN'T DO JUST WHAT YOU WANT JUST BECAUSE YOU INVESTED YOUR OWN TIME INTO THIS, OMG WTFFFFFF WTF AM I GONNA DO NAOOO!??!?!?!

seriously...i hope you get raped by a bus...but omfg? how can i get raped by a bus? Your complains are as absurd as my comment.

Ihealyou
03-12-2011, 01:47 AM
I see a lot more complaining about people complaining than people actually complaining about the beta. And yeah, I guess this post is complaining about complaining too.

Vidar
03-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Well, the only problem with this beta is the timing...Why on friday night? i work all week and i look forward to staying up till all hours of the morning because i dont have to work. Why cant they do the beta on monday night. or sunday for that matter. It makes ZERO sense.

Rogean
03-12-2011, 01:51 AM
http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4132257/STOP-WHINING-.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Angry-Arnold

Rogean
03-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Well, the only problem with this beta is the timing...Why on friday night? i work all week and i look forward to staying up till all hours of the morning because i dont have to work. Why cant they do the beta on monday night. or sunday for that matter. It makes ZERO sense.

What I heard:

"Why can't they do beta on a night that I wouldn't be playing anyways?"

It's EXACTLY for that reason that we're doing it now.

Pezmerga
03-12-2011, 01:53 AM

Maybe because they want people to do it? lol Why do it when less people play?

Nuggie
03-12-2011, 01:57 AM
IMO, leave live down till kunark is ready. That's right. Bring on the flames and make my night.

john_savage1982
03-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Only 200 people on test server anyways - prob the 50's testing raid content

ownrage
03-12-2011, 02:25 AM
dude i hope those complainers just quit...cause once kunark actually goes live it's gonna be a lagfest....this server could use a bit of weeding out of these idiots.

gnomishfirework
03-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Some of us don't handle surprises well. Notice would have been nice. I'm happy to help though.

What should we be doing in Beta? I've done beta testing for games before, but I really just fooled around. The only time I seriously beta tested was for a mud (MajorMUD). IT was mostly just logging stuff and running a spell check =P Also just testing combat features. So I guess just play and report anything unusual?

This kind of works out good, IM trying to get my friend to play. Now we can both log in. I didn't feel like applying for an IP exemption until she said she would play. She only ever played WoW and she liked it because the models were pretty (Aion too, but we quit that pretty quick).

Hobby
03-12-2011, 02:38 AM
People are going to be pissy because they are enjoying their free ride, contributing absolutely nothing to the betterment of the server they "participate" in (and believe me, I use that term lightly) and the notion of actually being apart of something bigger then themselves scares them.

What is funny though is that some of those people are the ones who push for others to test. "Hey, convince others to test this shit so it comes out faster for ME". I am not a fan of these people. I am not a fan of any user who simply will not HELP. I have personally answered petitions about bugs and I tell them to post on forums for it to be fixed. Their respnse? "If it isnt going to help me now, then I won't worry about it". Seriously? What the fuck.

People are parasites. Not everyone, please do not misunderstand that very fundamental fact, but alot of people are.

I say all this to lead to my point: Thank you. Thank you to those who test, who bug report, who post information about things quite simply are wrong, and most importantly to those who care. This server survives and grows due to the players who love and support this place. We get lost in the bullshit on these forums because the fuck-faces always scream the loudest, but those who have been around for awhile or those who are new and are trying to be involved in the betterment of the server are WHY we are here.

I would never of became a guide and quit playing back in novemenber if I did not think there would be someone out there who appreciates what I personally do: whether that person is nilbog/Rogean/Uthgaard being grateful for the time they can spend on coding rather than petitions, a player who appreciates my time i spend in helping them, or the people who consistently send me a tell when i log in to just say thanks or even to talk to me instead of complain.

There are people here who are quiet and stay out of the "limelight" that is RnF, rather they spend their time posting in Bugs / petitions about exploits / assisting the new players asking for help. You people are the ones that make me log in every day (or attempt to), and we thank you for making our time seem worthwhile instead of wasteful like the fuckers who bitch about everything.

To those of you crying over a forced-beta: Stop your bitching, go fucking test, and contribute to something that you enjoy. If not, then fuck off. Parasites come and go, you will not be missed for the next few days.

Uthgaard
03-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I couldn't have lit your lilly asses up better myself.

gnomishfirework
03-12-2011, 02:41 AM
dude i hope those complainers just quit...cause once kunark actually goes live it's gonna be a lagfest....this server could use a bit of weeding out of these idiots.

I hope they continue to play, but just don't give the admins such a hard time. Its understandable people would be upset for a friday night. Kunark is approaching and people want to hit 50. If you work 40+ hours a week, this is a huge hit to your play schedule.

People are gonna say things without thinking it over. I don't think they are necessarily terrible horrible people who shouldnt be around. I think they are just upset they can't play their game.

MMOs, especially EQ, tend to be favored by people with somewhat addictive personalities.

I just wish I had picked up Dragon Age Origins 2 when I had the chance =P

Mcbard
03-12-2011, 02:48 AM
What should we be doing in Beta? I've done beta testing for games before, but I really just fooled around. The only time I seriously beta tested was for a mud (MajorMUD). IT was mostly just logging stuff and running a spell check =P Also just testing combat features. So I guess just play and report anything unusual?

To devs reading this thread: I'm curious about this too. Do you guys have a list of stuff you really need tested? I played on the beta server for a few hours earlier this week, but I was mainly just running around looking at mobs, and trying to kill mobs every now and then. Everything was working fine for me, but it's not like I pushed the game to it's limits or anything like that lol. Also, I didn't even start playing until Velious and I was like 13 at the time, so it's kind of hard for me to know if anything is off from how it was back then. So ya, is there like a list of things you really need tested that someone in my situation (I would wager a lot of us!) can take a look at? Thanks!

P.S. Hobby makes me a gnome, I love him.

Uthgaard
03-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Anything and everything. Just play it. With a lot of people playing regularly at all levels, we're more likely to discover random bugs. If you desire direction and want to test something specifically, read the announcement and test the most recent changes. Post any issues to the forums. If you're not sure if something is a bug, post it anyway. It will get sorted out by one of us or your peers.

Sharkeye
03-12-2011, 03:22 AM
what happens if i /beta my naked dead toon?
e: I guess I have to wait a whole day. A whole dang day oh my god. welp time to /wrist

Hasbinbad
03-12-2011, 03:33 AM
IMO, leave live down till kunark is ready. That's right. Bring on the flames and make my night.
Best idea since "get rid of rotation."

Uthgaard
03-12-2011, 03:38 AM
what happens if i /beta my naked dead toon?
e: I guess I have to wait a whole day. A whole dang day oh my god. welp time to /wrist

You're not the only one who got stuck in that position. Just find one of us and w can set you up with some replacement gear.

Hasbinbad
03-12-2011, 03:39 AM
You're not the only one who got stuck in that position. Just find one of us and w can set you up with some replacement gear.
Um. Ew?

WTF did you do with Uthgaard?? IMPOSTER!! IMPOSTER!!

Hobby
03-12-2011, 03:39 AM

stop asking me for buffs and items. Bug the others for that stuff =p

NZV
03-12-2011, 03:40 AM
http://www.rogean.com/images/oot.png

What a fitting signature.

Hasbinbad
03-12-2011, 03:40 AM
stop asking me for buffs and items. Bug the others for that stuff =p
I can has Shissar and a Locustlure plox?

Uthgaard
03-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Um. Ew?

WTF did you do with Uthgaard?? IMPOSTER!! IMPOSTER!!

Believe it or not I'm usually nice when people aren't throwing fits. It's rare on the forums, but sometimes people are polite.

Hasbinbad
03-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Believe it or not I'm usually nice when people aren't throwing fits. It's rare on the forums, but sometimes people are polite.
Now I KNOW you're not the real Uthgaard. I CRY FOUL!!!

Niiiiiiiilllllboooooooooog!!!! Roooooooooogeeeeaaaaaannnnn!!!!

parlay1
03-12-2011, 04:03 AM
I agree it would have been better on a night I usually play for 2 hours rather than a night I play 6 but oh well, it is what it is. I keep seeing this "your bitching about a game you play for FREE!" And if these people who are bitching about people bitching are really playing for free, there is a donate button on the page......use it on occasion!

mitic
03-12-2011, 04:30 AM
whining in this situation is good. means ppl are 100% addicted to p99 (live) :D

Seaweedpimp
03-12-2011, 07:40 AM
What must be done, must be done!

Lagaidh
03-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Geez. There's enough tears from people on both sides of this issue. It's just elegantly ironic how the folks that aren't miffed about losing a weekend day of playing are just as whiny about folks who are miffed.

I also like how folks assume that miffed players are thankless about the work done for this server.

I mean, those are totally justified positions too, amirite?

A) If you're flat out whining about the mandatory beta, it's not going to do any good.
B) If you're flat out whining about the people whining about the mandatory beta, it's not going to do any good.

Uh oh. Did I just whine about the people whining about the people whining about the mandatory beta? *SNRKT* Ow! I think I just pulled my brain...

Ennoia
03-12-2011, 10:30 AM

seriously?

grow up.

BFD.

I'm sure there will be some people reporting things that have absolutely no issues just to waste Rogean@co's time, or people wasting their own time playing because they have no idea what to look for.

Bruno
03-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm just waiting for my chars to get copied.

Surfbuss
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
for how long will this kind of beta testing be going on?

TanDemain
03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I might have missed it, but is there server-status announcement page for stuff like this? Or did the server just go down and beta went up without a word/warning (unless on the server at the time, probably had a 15minute message)?

Just curious to know the events =)

ElanoraBryght
03-12-2011, 11:19 AM
It's the News & Announcements section at the top of the forum list
http://www.project1999.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I might have missed it, but is there server-status announcement page for stuff like this? Or did the server just go down and beta went up without a word/warning (unless on the server at the time, probably had a 15minute message)?

Just curious to know the events =)

Aarone
03-12-2011, 11:50 AM
yes. clearly i'm a brown noser. Clearly i give a crap what Rogean and the others think about me. obv you are so right.

No - i'm just someone who deals with small people who run around and do nothing but whine and cry and bitch all day long (it's a very rewarding job, being a mommy, but still...children when they are below age 5 pretty much spend 90% of their day whining and crying about something or other. "But...I want the donut!" "But.....I don't want to play on beta!"

"He hit me!" ...... "They KS'd our raid!!!"
"He knocked my block tower over!" .... "They trained us!"
"I don't WANT to go to the store/go to the doctor/get a shot/get dressed/stop playing in the mud!" "I don't WANT to go play on beta/stop being a douche/stop whining"

See the correalation? I see enough of the behavior from my two littles who can NOT help it since they are LITTLE. They are 2 and 3.....you people are all at least 10 years old and if you are playing on P99 you are probably at least 18....

so quityerbitchin.

tl;dr - I'm a person with a low tolerance for bullshit and whining.

This is brilliant, pure genius! :D I love you already, Sephrana - you go girl! ;)

Bubbles
03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Just a small plead to keep beta open after launch, be nice to be able to play it *without* the angry masses who won't even beta it past mar 25th. ;)

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
03-12-2011, 12:42 PM
If we play on the server while it's in mandatory beta, will we lose any changes to our characters once the live server is restored? I'm guessing that's the case, but I'd really like to be sure.

machin576
03-12-2011, 12:50 PM
What should I do to beta test if my highest character is only level 6?

Calabee
03-12-2011, 01:07 PM
oh haw, i thought the server population announced on p99 site was the one's of beta for downtime.. was wondering why only 8 was on, logged on and saw it was more around 200, bit better!

Sephrana
03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
This is brilliant, pure genius! :D I love you already, Sephrana - you go girl! ;)

Aarone - thank you :) Hit me up in game :) i am always lookin for new folks to harrass :) Ask the poor folks on my current harrassmen....er FRIENDS list :D

I'll try and remember your names - i think i've seen you around but unless I have your names tattooed on me I shall forget .... My brain is too full of cartoon characters names....:rolleyes:

Sephrana
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
To the person who was asking if changes will carry back to the live server....my magic 8 ball says no.....especially since:

XP is currently 500% of what you'd get on the live server - you could bust yo booty and hit 50 rapidly....

the free staves of forbidden rites, jade coffins etc......

free port potions...

that would wreck the game if it carried over to live....

so just enjoy the break - the awesome part is that no matter what you do - YOU CAN NOT LOSE!!!! so what if you end up dying and losing your corpse- who cares? It wont' carry back to live :)

*Very little chance of dying and losing your corpse though... :D

TanDemain
03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
It's the News & Announcements section at the top of the forum list
http://www.project1999.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Before it actually happens~ not as it happens.

Felizcat
03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
What should I do to beta test if my highest character is only level 6?

Either roll a new iksar or go to Field of Bone. It's the best newbie zone ever.

beni393
03-12-2011, 03:33 PM

seriously?

grow up.

BFD.

Pico
03-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I've been puttering around Field of Bone. :)

Are enough people logging on to make the stress test as effective as the devs
wanted? Maybe promise double xp day or something, but only if server population hits 500+ for a few hours?

And yeah I realize how sad it is to have to bribe your players (who play for free) to help with the upcoming expansion.

shuklak
03-12-2011, 04:41 PM

wanted? Maybe promise double xp day or something, but only if server population hits 500+ for a few hours?

And yeah I realize how sad it is to have to bribe your players (who play for free) to help with the upcoming expansion.
Make no mistake that would be a win-win though. "Free" exp doesn't actually cost that much. I can think of a good testing being worth a LOT of time/energy/aggravation being saved.

Always respect the tradeoff!

quellren
03-12-2011, 05:05 PM

Beta server exp is already at 500%... you want double that? lol.

Kromium
03-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Beta server exp is already at 500%... you want double that? lol.

I'm pretty sure he means a promised double-xp day on the live server if the beta server gets stress tested at 500+ logins for X amount of hours...

Droop
03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I vote leave it up till the 25th :-x!

Lame, I know. I'd love to get a lot of shit over the next 2 weeks BEFORE Kunark comes out but honestly...Kunark could really use the beta testing I am sure. Sure people would be bummed/mad but it'd make for one hell of a Kunark launch IMO.

Just my 2cp...

parlay1
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
I hope they don't do a double xp day, I play this for the experience and not just to zip to 50.

bwe
03-12-2011, 11:22 PM
But then you'd be playing this for double the experience

toxiqwurm
03-12-2011, 11:34 PM
its 9:30 ;) still no live, may not get a live

azxten
03-12-2011, 11:41 PM
lol at the tags on this thread

Ravendawn
03-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Ya know not to be an ungratefull ass but what is the point of forcing beta? No one is testing or hardly no one and even then those that do... well no one has input that is not at a troll level. Currently OOC spam is worse the Barrens chat about communists and similar crap that i wont even repeat here.

Pokeman
03-12-2011, 11:46 PM
need to play real server so bad.

parlay1
03-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Uthgaard are you bringing the regular server back up tonight?

porigromus
03-13-2011, 02:02 AM
With everyone's attitude to assisting in getting Kunark ready to open, they should just not do it and let the server set at classic forever. Seriously, if I was running this I would be thinking that right now. Ungrateful people.

Edit: Or shutting the server off indefinitely

parlay1
03-13-2011, 02:23 AM
People are/were kidding themselves if they ever thought "mandatory" and someones free time ever went well together, they don't have to have the server up, but it goes both directions and it's naive to expect people to jump for joy when someone puts something like this together on a weekend with no warning or eta for it to go back to normal.

I have no problem helping beta test, but all this "people suck because they aren't happy about testing" flys in the face of psychology 101. You want people to beta test, schedule a block of time several days in advance, with everything laid out...ie time will start, time will end and clearly stated objectives. You still won't get 700 people in but I bet you would get more then 200 and I know you would get less upset people.

Only suggestions.

Arayus
03-13-2011, 02:35 AM
With everyone's attitude to assisting in getting Kunark ready to open, they should just not do it and let the server set at classic forever. Seriously, if I was running this I would be thinking that right now. Ungrateful people.

Edit: Or shutting the server off indefinitely

You sir are mixing up ungrateful with shocked by the sudden downtime/addicted. I haven't read any posts since the servers went down that demean the hosts in any way. What I have read are people who are curious when the server will be reinstated so they may resume preparing for Kunark to actually drop. Some of us just found out about the server recently, and are attempting to prepare our characters to have fun in Kunark. We don't all have level 50s that are ready to go already.

I have only been around for a few weeks and am having great fun. I have a couple friends I play with on the server, and we had plans of really pushing out some levels this weekend, while having a blast in solA. Instead we bit and ran over to the beta server to try and help out. However I find myself at a lack of ability to be of any assistance because I don't remember enough about my years on EQ Live to really know what is correct and incorrect about mob loot, pathing, aggro, hairstyle etc.

I have played MUDs for ages, and the ones I play are hosted by devs that also don't make any sort of profit from them. I am friends with a lot of those devs and know the shit they go through. The fact I, or anyone else is curious as to when the live server will come back online is NOT ungrateful. It is a testament to what these devs have built and the fact that people are attached enough to their creation to spend the time asking for it to come back online. The real issue is the lack of information on this mandatory beta. The entire server was told via Server Message that the beta test would end "at some point tomorrow night" or something along those lines. If that goal can no longer be met it would be at least respectful of the devs to allow their community in on that fact.

As for how you would react to a community that is in a similar situation as this. You have to think of what these other people are saying, and put yourself in their shoes. People like me who just came here and are freshly addicted still have goals they want to meet. You may have 50(s) and have nothing left to accomplish in Classic, but some of us don't even have enough platinum to encumber their character :D . My group last night was having a blast, and were very excited to have a Charred Guardian Shield drop. 10 minutes later we were told the server was being shut down. That's a tough pill to swallow, when you have 5 or 6 guys ready to spend the entire evening doing something they deem as fun. Would it be fun for you if you were out at a bar with your buddies that you had planned on hanging out with and all the sudden, at 10pm, the barkeep told you the doors were closing at 11pm?

Case in point. It was a shock to all of us, and people's reactions do not mean they are ungrateful to the devs for what those devs have created.

Zeelot
03-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Would it be fun for you if you were out at a bar with your buddies that you had planned on hanging out with and all the sudden, at 10pm, the barkeep told you the doors were closing at 11pm?

Not so bad at all considering all the booze at this 'bar' is free.

Hobby
03-13-2011, 03:23 AM
You do not have to be 50 or 60 to help test, nor have any extensive knowledge of kunark. There are things that are obviously wrong, such as "hey that mob just ran throw 20 walls to hit me" or "this supposed named has not spawned in 20 cycles....".

http://eqmacwiki.com/eqatlas/atlas

Big help for knowing locations / a geneal map for named.

We do not expect you to know that "hey there are only 6 skeletons here, there should be 18". All we ask are for people to report on what they know and what they feel.

Arayus
03-13-2011, 04:03 AM
Not so bad at all considering all the booze at this 'bar' is free.

See those advertisements at the top of all the pages on the project1999 website? Free?

Bunny Mage
03-13-2011, 04:10 AM
"mandatory beta" is kind of a silly term. What's mandatory about it? A person doesn't have to play on the server just because another one is down. Personally, I'm playing Rift. :)

A better way of putting it probably should be simply "beta testers needed".

Fromage
03-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Stuff

I can see how it would be annoying, but Beta has been up for what? a couple of months or so(not counting the times it was offline)? The average population was single digits to 20 people on a good night. I figure the choice was either deal with it as is and release a buggy as hell kunark, which im sure would create more server downtime without a beta server as back up to get your fix, or force people to beta now. No one should be shocked that we pretty much forced their hand, unless you JUST started.

On the testers side, it could have been made more melee/newbie iksar friendly(translocaters!) earlier instead of pushing it on people 2 weeks before tentative release.

Either way, maybe more people will be on beta now that they've got a taste for kunark, and more bugs will be reported/fixed.

Also Hobby, no one takes a dwarf paladin seriously...NO ONE!

Ravendawn
03-13-2011, 10:54 AM
I am all for testing and far from ungratefull. I would have preferred to be on live progressing out of 30 but Kunark in my opinion has some issues that i saw. It was hard as hell getting some actual testing done.

The part that is now frustrating is that the weekend is over and i will barely get another chance to play before kunark. The other part that is frustrating is that hardly no one was testing. The point was to post your findings and when you do... crickets. In the end people were pushed to play on a new server and i doubt there were more than 10 issues brought forward.

You cannot force people to play and test but you can intice them to do so. Those who find actaully problems should be awarded... if that was the case youd see a higher population on beta. The reason people play betas is to get in early. Getting in early on content almost 10 years old that is well documented has no reward outside of something new for the evening that will be erased in a few weeks. There is no point to play there at the moment than work at finding bugs. Use the carrot and not the stick.

As for me personally, i have concerns about Kunark's spell resist rate and how bad the nerf is. I suspect they will go live. I do not look forward to Kunark anymore. I now have to hope that when Kunark is released, i am not playing a class that has been gimped in an effort to remain "Historical". I would hope that while the goal is to remain true to the game, all mistakes do not need to be duplicated.

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings.

Uthgaard
03-13-2011, 01:34 PM
The point was to post your findings and when you do... crickets.

If you got crickets it's means we're working on it.

Ravendawn
03-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Sorry Uthgaard if i sounded ungratefull. That is not it at all. I am thankfull for all that you guys have done. I understand the work that goes in to a project of this size. Often a thankless task.

Jimes
03-10-2012, 05:30 AM
looks legit