PDA

View Full Version : How has everquest changed your life?

nalkin
03-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Because p99 I was able to know that a Lapis Lazuli was blue thereby enabling me to get a question on my history midterm right!

Post ways that eq or p99 has influenced your life.

Thank you Rogean for making eq~

Blancah
03-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I started playing when I was 13 or 14. I would have words on vocabulary tests that I never knew before playing EQ. Alacrity was one of the ones I can remember.

DevGrousis
03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
When i was a kid, we had some stupid vocab thing we did in english class every week, and one of the words was "ensnare" which i originally had learned from playing everquest the year prior lol

Tiggles
03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Because of Everquest i learned that if you stab someone from the back they take more damage and dodge less.

audacity
03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
I got a 110 on a spelling test because I could spell amethyst and knew what color it was :D

Ryhalt
03-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Because of EverQuest I never quit playing MMO's and have lost countless hours of my life...

*login*

Chrushev
03-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Learned a lot of English back when we first moved to the states (from Russia) from playing the game, talking to people etc. Also made me be able to type close to 80-90 words per minute due to having to type SUPER FAST raid commands/orders. Since things like Vent/Teamspeak didnt really exist, and even then cant really use those on a 56k modem :P

Benebric
03-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Men are Men, Women are Men, and Children are FBI Agents. <---- Important Life Lesson

Marrhault
03-13-2011, 11:40 PM
My typing skills changed alot once I started playing this around age 15.

Hoggen
03-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I became more aggressive and intolerant of people invading my camp.

quido
03-14-2011, 12:27 AM
I've been playing EQ for about 17 months. For 15 months now I haven't been able to procure an erection.

philbertpk
03-14-2011, 12:38 AM
It taught me how to communicate exactly, and concisely what I need to get across to people. I gained the ability to type 100+ words per min. and remember being better than my teachers.

shuklak
03-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Because of EverQuest I never quit playing MMO's and have lost countless hours of my life...

*login*
lol ya... that's most of the rest

fugazi
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Learned a lot of English back when we first moved to the states (from Russia) from playing the game, talking to people etc. Also made me be able to type close to 80-90 words per minute due to having to type SUPER FAST raid commands/orders. Since things like Vent/Teamspeak didnt really exist, and even then cant really use those on a 56k modem :P

I learned a great deal of English too, developed mad typing skills and learned all kinds of other random things such as the names and colours of gems mentioned by others.

Also, it taught me to never take a game too serious and to pull the plug if needed :)

Versus
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
I started playing when I was 13 or 14. I would have words on vocabulary tests that I never knew before playing EQ. Alacrity was one of the ones I can remember.

Vocab for sure.

Sephrana
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Everquest actually has given me several extremely close friendships that I have maintained over the past 10 years outside of MMO's. Gave me the ability to handle leadership positions (Since I used to lead raids back in the day...taught me a lot about planning and how to give concise instructions etc)

runlvlzero
03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Ever quest has given me an intense hatred of halflings.

Akame
03-14-2011, 10:06 AM
I got a job through a guildmate because of my work as an officer of my guild on live.
I was a bridesmaid for another guildmate.
I can type 76+ WPM because of being a raid leader before Vent's existence.
I went from failing English to nearly acing every writing and reading comprehension test I've run across.
I am a better leader now because of my experiences with large scale guilds.
I still probably wasted a solid year of my life in front of a computer.

Rael
03-14-2011, 10:33 AM
I learned the meanings of "amiable" and "lupine".

jtaddei
03-14-2011, 10:56 AM
my wife thinks i'm smart since I use the word "immolate" in the context of lighting myself on fire.

Only reason I know that word means fire was from a spell in Everquest.

Supreme
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Because of Everquest i learned;

PHP/ASP
Networking
Typing
HTML
Linux
Windows
Virtual Servers
Hacking
Databases
Scripting
SQL/MySQL
Apache
Photoshop

The leadership skills learned in the Army where only a precursor to the leadership skills i learned in EQ. Interpersonal relationship skills and how to deal with people of varying backgrounds and differences.

EQ taught me how to grow up while still being a kid at heart.

jtaddei
03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Because of Everquest i learned;
Hacking

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/hackers_movie.jpg

Striiker
03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I learned how much coffee and Diet Coke I can consume before I need to change the 2-Liter pee bottle under my desk.

Sorn
03-14-2011, 11:55 AM
- Learned to type faster (I'm at about 70wpm at the moment, having slowed down a bit since live since all I've typed recently are essays. Might've been around 80-90 on live)
- Discovered my spelling was not perfect and corrected that (now I know how to spell definitely, hah)
- Had my face-to-face communication skills degrade, but improved my writing communication skills
- Became addicted to the computer (argh), but I have improved recently and find better things to do with my time...sometimes. Netflix being available on the internet doesn't help.
- Primary skill acquired that I am most grateful for: the ability to ignore drama and carry on in complete happiness.
- I sit really weirdly and have a terrible slump out of habit. In twenty years I'll probably be a hunchback or something.

Oddly enough, EQ did not manage to kill my sparkling personality.

Supreme
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/hackers_movie.jpg

Ethical Hacking

Malrubius
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
My grammar is so better much than it used to was.

Akame
03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Oddly enough, EQ did not manage to kill my sparkling personality.

Just your love for the color pink.

Sorn
03-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Just your love for the color pink.

FUCKING PINK ASDFKDJGSLJGOEIR@#%#

Beauregard
03-14-2011, 12:58 PM
It is likely that virtual navigation and memorization of zones without the use of maps has expanded and altered our collective hippocampus.

Navigation-related structural change in the hippocampi of taxi drivers (http://www.pnas.org/content/97/8/4398.full)

nemethor
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I started playing Everquest when I was 14. Six months later, I had gained 50 pounds. I'm in great shape now, but I have stretch marks all over my body from back then.

Rael
03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
my wife thinks i'm smart since I use the word "immolate" in the context of lighting myself on fire.

Yeah without EQ I would have had no idea how to articulate to others how I like to light myself on fire...

Mcbard
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
In school there was a direct negative correlation between the hours I spent logged into EverQuest and my grades. The same is happening again it seems!

Spud
03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
There are a bunch of words I first heard of from everquest and they will always be linked to eq. just last week there was some Jeopordy answer that had an eq word in it and it brought a smile to my face.

eq also helped me to absolutely crush my 8th grade typing class exam.

hateshadow
03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I learned most of what I know of the english language by interacting with others on Everquest.

Aside from that, the game helps me save up my money as I dont go out and spend my cash as often since I now have an activity to do at home.

stormlord
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Playing EQ grew me a fat jutting epeen that only a mother could love.

Yinaltin
03-14-2011, 05:32 PM
same here . all my english knowledge is kinda based on EQ . my grades went skyrocket in school when i started the game . had lot of good times but also horrible ones that made me quit eq with a friend . knowing gems due to EQ is also my thing . this is really nerdy , isnt it ?

StinkyGreenBud
03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
eq also helped me to absolutely crush my 8th grade typing class exam.

Right on, my teacher asked me if i hired a tutor and told her his name was EQ. She told me she was proud of me for taking some initiative in my life for once.

Pyrocat
03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
My words per minute doubled.

Pyrocat
03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
same here . all my english knowledge is kinda based on EQ . my grades went skyrocket in school when i started the game . had lot of good times but also horrible ones that made me quit eq with a friend . knowing gems due to EQ is also my thing . this is really nerdy , isnt it ?

Yes, but it's ok, you're among friends (or at least fellow nerds).

azeth
03-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Because of EverQuest, I now mem evac before initiating wife aggro.

Fatalist
03-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Without EQ I would not have the wife I married and my two cute man childs :-) Without my wife I maybe never left my hometown to start with a new job.

Without EQ I maybe would be a happy UBA-KILLA-WOW toon.

Swish
03-15-2011, 04:12 PM
EQ taught me the basics of how to brew my own beer, no joke.. it was a great starter.

...hic!

Yinaltin
03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
^^^^ this made me laugh hard irl !

Sorrow*qc
03-16-2011, 08:09 AM
good thing
as a french canadian, i learned my english from the game, and all of my life I had better grades in english class than french, with that, i was able to get a $$$ job because i was bilingual :P

bad thing
i also lost 2-3 years of my teenage life till i discover beer

y2sky2003
03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks to my experience in EQ dungeons (mostly Karnor's), I now ALWAYS go through the rightmost door when there are two doors side-by-side, and go through the right side of a circular hallway.

Lagaidh
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Everquest taught me all of the internet personalities that have become permanent staples of online communities.

That and typing too (like many others). EQ + full work days as a programmer makes one a fast typer.

One of the more fascinating effects I've read in this thread is the effect of teaching folks a new language. Could you imagine selling a leisure product, and being able to advertise that as a side effect?

Get the all new Ping Pong Ching-a-roo Table Tennis Set NOW! After a mere four months of obsessive play you WILL be able to speak Aramaic! Just listen to little Johnny tell the Romans where to get off!