PDA

View Full Version : BSOD

DevGrousis
03-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Got the Blue Screen of Death early today :(

I am playing through BootCamp (Windows XP) on a Macbook Pro 13in, and for the first time since i dumped my PC about 2 years ago i re experienced the BSOD lol it was an interesting feeling, mid conversation with friends, and mid fight with a spectre my screen blacked out then went blue and gave me that horrid message :P

I'm trying to re partition my hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 7 (might as well upgrade)

few questions

1. Does Windows 7 have any problems running Project1999? Would i be better off using Windows XP like before?

2. Any mac pro's out there that can help me with a stubborn boot camp problem?

mwatt
03-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Windows 7 runs games, including EQ, very well.

HOWEVER, the recent SP1 introduced a bug that may cause you to crash to the desktop without warning. It is an issue with games that use DX9.

If this happens to you, check out this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113

The patch available through this link fixed my issue.

fugazi
03-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Running WinEQ fixed that problem for me :)

Chrushev
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I run it on a 13inch macbook with bootcamp. used my installer to set it up (see my signature). Works great. No issues.

President
03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Wrong forum.

Prince
03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
#1 issue that causes BSOD in boot camp on mac laptops is overheating

DevGrousis
03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
#1 issue that causes BSOD in boot camp on mac laptops is overheating

Mine does quite a bit of over heating haha Good to know, though, I have been needing to purchase one of those cooling decks for my mbp, so i dont melt this ho down.

Prince
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Mine does quite a bit of over heating haha Good to know, though, I have been needing to purchase one of those cooling decks for my mbp, so i dont melt this ho down.

that'll do it. I used to bsod on my macbook all the time while playing eq; since i put it on a desk with a laptop cooler it hasn't happened once.

Mcbard
03-17-2011, 08:13 PM
I play with a 13 inch Macbook Pro using XP with parallels. Before that I used Windows 7 and bootcamp. No overheating yet.

bizzum
03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Also been playing on a 15" Pro, but I use XP with bootcamp and it works flawlessly. Can't wait to get my new one with thunderbolt /drool

DoucLangur
03-19-2011, 10:40 AM
If you're reinstalling your OS anyways, and have a bit of a technical mind, I recommend switching to Debian (Squeeze), or a different Linux distro, at least if you have an nvidia graphics chipset (best proprietary drivers for Linux, ATI just won't work for some reason). Then run EQ under wine with a slight modification. I can provide details if you go down that road :) Playing EQ on Linux for 2-3 years now, without issues worth mentioning.

Cheers,

Slozem