PDA

View Full Version : Will SK aggro be fixed? If not, can pally replace?

Kurtanius21
03-18-2011, 03:04 PM
So I've gotten my SK to level 30. He's my main, and I had no intention of stopping his progress. But the problem is, the main reason I loved playing him has been seriously gimped. I'm no longer able to snap aggro and be the Main Tank. Taking aggro from monks? Fat chance. My question is, will DC be fixed, or is it working as intended? If it is, does the Paladin have aggro abilities similar to the SK prior to the kunark release? I'll start a paladin if that is the case.

guineapig
03-18-2011, 03:13 PM
here are a few threads that are already covering the topic and include comments by the devs.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29088&page=7

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29088&highlight=disease+cloud

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29393&highlight=disease+cloud

There is a good chance that you will see another change to disease cloud when Kunark goes live so maybe you should hold off on your decision till then?

Extunarian
03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Guinea - I was looking while you posted this. Most everything has been moved to:
Spell issues consolidated (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29088&page=7)

As for the OP, this has been brought up and summarily locked by the devs about a half-dozen times since Sunday. You should post your issues in the thread I linked to above. Also, I don't play an SK but I'm sure there are others on the server who adjusted and are getting along just fine without rerolling a pally. Lots of non-classic niceties were taken away in the spell revamp.

Edit: Here is another thread on the topic (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29393)

Arayus
03-18-2011, 03:18 PM
So I've gotten my SK to level 30. He's my main, and I had no intention of stopping his progress. But the problem is, the main reason I loved playing him has been seriously gimped. I'm no longer able to snap aggro and be the Main Tank. Taking aggro from monks? Fat chance. My question is, will DC be fixed, or is it working as intended? If it is, does the Paladin have aggro abilities similar to the SK prior to the kunark release? I'll start a paladin if that is the case.

Thats a bad monk then. I play almost daily with an SK and I am a monk. If he FDs after you use clinging darkness it is just a matter of FDing here and there to keep aggro off him. Learn to not Herp-a-derp DPS and actually use your aggro wipes properly.. Oh yea and your monk should know that he has to stop auto attacking before using his FD. Glad to be of service teaching your monk to be a monk. And as for being an SK. It seems that disease cloud is actually acting as an aggro wipe. So might not want to be trying to cast that.

Kurtanius21
03-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Well, thing is, I kinda want to start a pally at this point. I read Uthgaard's comment. Thanks for posting. I guess I should have submitted feedback before the release. From what I read, I get the impression it may be changed. Am I right? Other than that, can a paladin get snap aggro from mobs like a SK? I would like to play a short dwarf instead of a fat ogre anyways.

Extunarian
03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, thing is, I kinda want to start a pally at this point. I read Uthgaard's comment. Thanks for posting. I guess I should have submitted feedback before the release. From what I read, I get the impression it may be changed. Am I right? Other than that, can a paladin get snap aggro from mobs like a SK? I would like to play a short dwarf instead of a fat ogre anyways.

Just like original EQ, things will ebb and flow on this server as adjustments are constantly made. If you would rather play a paladin, then do it! :) However don't think that any class is going to be protected from spell changes or other tuning. In this case it would appear that the DC change may have gone a little too far, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

From my understanding the best way for Pallies to get agro is to blind or stun. And right now it sounds like blind might be goofed up too, so if you were a pally now this post might be asking if you should reroll an sk :p

Honestly, just look at the spells and the skills that each class gets and experiment with them. If you find a class you really like and get good at you'll be better able to cope with these changes as they come.

Kurtanius21
03-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Ok, I'll start one, but I'll keep the SK under my radar. If the situation doesn't change, I'll adapt. One way or another.

Ihealyou
03-18-2011, 04:53 PM
At least you still have better aggro than warriors.

:(

stonebeard22
03-18-2011, 05:35 PM
At least you still have better aggro than warriors.

:(

Hey Now!

Bruno
03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Guinea - I was looking while you posted this. Most everything has been moved to:
Spell issues consolidated (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29088&page=7)

As for the OP, this has been brought up and summarily locked by the devs about a half-dozen times since Sunday. You should post your issues in the thread I linked to above. Also, I don't play an SK but I'm sure there are others on the server who adjusted and are getting along just fine without rerolling a pally. Lots of non-classic niceties were taken away in the spell revamp.

Edit: Here is another thread on the topic (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29393)

I adjusted by soloing and playing my mage.

SwordNboard
03-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Sounds like the monks in your group need to learn to FD when they get aggro.

Hobby
03-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Paladins are great at pulling initial aggro, but if you have an idiot warrior using duel-yaks as his dps weapons during a raid, you are going to quickly lose it.

Paladin with yak+shield and casting stuns throughout the fights during raids, they wont have a single issue. Mana is a questionable thing depending on how fast pulls are coming and whether or not you keep up with your clarity and if you have a bard though. Just be smart and group intelligently!

Gibcarver
03-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I play a 50 sk and my roommate a 50 pal, we are both raid geared and up until the spell changes I could cast DC and he cast blind and I would get just a bit more agro. That is in line with what I remember from when I played on live (kunark+). This is why SKs have better "snap" agro. However, going beyond the initial castings, I cast cling darkness and the AC tap while my paladin friend casts both his stuns, now the paladin has agro and can keep it.
I believe Disease cloud agro will be fixed based on the dev comments so you should probably wait it out. As for me, well for now my paladin friend tanks...while I feel broken.

Weekapaug
03-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Using DC for snap aggro is as classic as being able to hand stuff to npcs and no item links. To refer to it as a "non classic nicety" is as absurd as the class having to use it for aggro to begin with. The live devs didn't break it (by fixing it) till Luclin sometime, when they were shocked to find that an entire third of the tank classes had been using a level 1 Necro spell with taunt issues as a class staple for years since release. Shadow Knights the world over rejoiced and marked their calendars as being once of about 3 occasions they actually listened to us. Then they took 4 months to add replacements. I'm pretty sure a lot of paladins and warriors were rolled during that time and for good reason. I rolled my rogue and never looked back, personally.

Nicety. It's the same as clerics not being able to heal or enchanters not being able to mez. And it didn't happen till luclin and isn't classic.

Extunarian
03-25-2011, 02:19 PM
stuff

You should try reading the entire thread before posting...futhur down I wrote

In this case it would appear that the DC change may have gone a little too far, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

and gibcarver wrote:
I believe Disease cloud agro will be fixed based on the dev comments so you should probably wait it out. As for me, well for now my paladin friend tanks...while I feel broken.

When I said lots of non-classic niceties were taken out I had just finished a weekend of explaining to other shaman in-game that our disease dots were OP, so I originally thought this was more of the same sort of grumbling. Now that I have played with some SK's I see it is a lot tougher for them to do their job.

Also, check out the bug section to see what has happened with this. Uthgaard posted that spell issues were mostly fixed...maybe try them on the beta and see if the problem still exists...

Weekapaug
03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
I read that and that's why I mentioned your earlier phrase in my post. There is no "going a little far" with changes that shouldn't be made at all. Nothing personal.

Regardless, I have no dogs in this hunt, I just find it interesting that the live devs did the same thing at a point.

By the way, I play a shammy also and just returned from a several month break....Are you saying the changes to single and aoe disease dot stacking went in for being OP? I was under the impression that the change was made because those dots didn't stack until a later era making it inappropriate for here.

Extunarian
03-25-2011, 04:01 PM
the change was made because those dots didn't stack until a later era making it inappropriate for here.

Your impression was right. I could have phrased that better.

What I meant was that I was explaining to other shaman that our spells were simply changed to be the way they actually were in classic, with Rage draining mana, affliction only hitting for 6dmg/tick, and changes to stacking.