PDA

View Full Version : Fishing vs Begging - Which skill is more useless?

DinoTriz
05-17-2018, 10:42 AM
As a wretched, homeless, one-eyed dwarf that lives in the sewers and under the floorboards of Freeport I need something to do other than scaring the local children.

Fishing vs Begging.

Which one should I level up?

Begging sounds awesome. I remember thinking it was a legitimate skill, only to be one-shot by guards back in '99.

Can you make any money with it?

Help me roleplay as an unwashed vagabond. I suppose I should start on my Alcohol Tolerance as well.

mcoy
05-17-2018, 10:48 AM
I've got 200 fishing and haven't caught anything remarkable. I was talking to a rogue the other night that said occasionally they'd get a plat or two from begging. Been thinking about working it now since I should be able to atone off the agro from a crit fail.

-Mcoy

Tecmos Deception
05-17-2018, 11:13 AM
There was a thread somewhat recently in here where people were listing all the things that fishing can actually be useful for. There were a surprising number of quests, iirc, that require fishing.

I remember reading, once upon a time (but on p99 I think, not all the way back to live) that begging can help a tank with aggro? NO idea if that's true or not though.

loramin
05-17-2018, 11:50 AM
I remember reading, once upon a time (but on p99 I think, not all the way back to live) that begging can help a tank with aggro? NO idea if that's true or not though.

Yes, I definitely remember a time back in the day when tanks were advised to make taunt macros for: 1) taunt, 2) auto-attack off, 3) beg, 4) auto-attack on. Even then people didn't think it gave much agro, but it's what "the people in the know" did (even if those people might not have actually known anything).

Jauna
05-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Begging gives you a flat 1% chance to get some money from the targets loot/pick pocket pool, never any items

Fishing is at least used in some tradeskills, either just making fish, oils or what have you.

Raavak
05-17-2018, 01:18 PM
Begging sounds awesome. I remember thinking it was a legitimate skill, only to be one-shot by guards back in '99.Part of the evil of EQ: start a newbie off with no coins, but give them a begging skill.

FungusTrooper
05-17-2018, 01:43 PM
My wizard on live had a pretty good fishing skill, but quit begging after getting 1hit'd the 5th time, lol.

Legidias
05-17-2018, 01:46 PM
Fishing --> Othmir Prexus Totem

symbi0nt
05-17-2018, 01:46 PM
One of my fondest memories and most exhilarating experiences from live days was the first time I hauled in that rusty dagger from the pond in Halas - fishing > begging.

loramin
05-17-2018, 02:25 PM
One of my fondest memories and most exhilarating experiences from live days was the first time I hauled in that rusty dagger from the pond in Halas - fishing > begging.

This, except my RL friend had given me a hundred plat, which I'd promptly spent on buying armor and weapons from the vendors in Halas (I had no idea what a waste that was at the time). As a result I was a bit less impressed (though still pretty thrilled) when I fished up my first rusty dagger from the Halas "moat".

zanderklocke
05-17-2018, 02:52 PM
I'd say begging is more useful as a taunt mechanic than as its actual purpose.

Jimjam
05-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Begging is a great way to pull mobs through wall/floor if you don't have taunt.

Leiker
05-17-2018, 03:28 PM
You need fishing to complete Othmir Prexus Totem quest. That alone makes it more useful than begging.

Supaskillz
05-17-2018, 03:34 PM
I'd say begging is more useful as a taunt mechanic than as its actual purpose.

So use it but avoid skilling it up, b/c it gets worse if you get better at it.

Gumbo
05-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Do fishing so you don't have to spend money on food...

Use begging on mobs you are willing to kill but don't attack you first.

You'll probably get more skill points in fishing then begging.

Moerne
05-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Do fishing so you don't have to spend money on food...

Use begging on mobs you are willing to kill but don't attack you first.

You'll probably get more skill points in fishing then begging.

Begging off boats. I remember it was one of the popular ways to while away that grueling trip from Freeport to BB. You can still beg off the shuttles from BB to the Firona Vie boat. I think most of the others have been patched.

Diogene
05-19-2018, 05:07 AM
I’d say fishing + alcool tolerance + baking. Be the first fish & chips of Norrath. People need to eat. Find a good spot in NFP and maybe take over the Green Jade. Get yourself known with a couple of tunnel spam. Get rich eventually