PDA

View Full Version : Undecided - class decision

Jedijacob
02-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Played a lot of eq back in the good ol days from about kunark onward. I'm about to start playing with a few friends (warrior, cleric, rogue) but don't know what I want to start with them. I'll mainly be playing with them but also want some solo functionality. I've come down to Druid or Mage. Any help or opinions?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Erasong
02-15-2010, 01:51 PM
if it HAS to be between druid or mage in that make up, druid. dps/back up healing. Id personally go shaman tho. would work better with the war/rogue, youd still have back up heals, slow, stacking buffs with the clerics, some dps, and awesome dps boosting buffs for the rogue/war

Jedijacob
02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, didn't really think of the shaman off hand. How well do they solo compared to Druid and Mage? I'll mostly be grouping but I know it's inevitable that I'll have to solo occasionally.

Loke
02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Shaman can solo at lower levels, although probably not as effectively as a mage or druid. However, shamans become arguably the best solo class in the game in kunark. They get a lot of weapons in kunark, most notably the torpor/canni combination which essentially gives them unlimited mana. I personally really enjoyed playing a shaman, but they can be frustrating at times. They're really a much better group class. Shaman + just about any melee is a terrific duo.

Muerte
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Shaman can solo at lower levels, although probably not as effectively as a mage or druid. However, shamans become arguably the best solo class in the game in kunark. They get a lot of weapons in kunark, most notably the torpor/canni combination which essentially gives them unlimited mana. I personally really enjoyed playing a shaman, but they can be frustrating at times. They're really a much better group class. Shaman + just about any melee is a terrific duo.

Agreed shaman are incredible in kunark. I play a necro.

Kaylen
02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
If it must be between druid and Mage then I think as a Druid you will be more useful for groups and youll have an easier time soloing. Though I know that Druids are a fairly popular class. Dunno if that matters to you or not.

guineapig
02-15-2010, 06:14 PM
If it must be between druid and Mage then I think as a Druid you will be more useful for groups and youll have an easier time soloing. Though I know that Druids are a fairly popular class. Dunno if that matters to you or not.

Although I would agree with you on live and druids are still an excelent solo class on P1999, on this server the Mage doesn't even have to be awake to solo effectively.

Kaylen
02-15-2010, 06:23 PM
on this server the Mage doesn't even have to be awake to solo effectively.

You should probably listen to this guy as I, myself, have never played a mage.

Aaron
02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Too many mages on the server as it is. Druids are more group friendly and more useful to your group of friends with ports/SoW. However, I'd also like to recommend Shaman over the other two options.

Jedijacob
02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll be going Shaman as recommended. Now, my biggest issue is getting to Gfay with all my friends. Going to try to buy as many spells as possible then catch a port.

Thanks again for the help!