PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a server like this?

One Tin Soldier
06-28-2018, 01:11 PM
Ok, P99 is great and all but for a lot of us the end game is...well...it's just not something we're going to do for one reason or another. I can't be the only one who feels like the real fun of the game is the grouping while leveling up.

And yet, I've lost all motivation to play alts because it feels so pointless when I know there is no future of any kind for the character I'm playing.

So I was wondering, what if you made a server where all the endgame stuff was removed, or just didn't yield any loot so there would be no reason to do it and no high end loot contaminating the server. Instead, you cap the levels at 50 and upon filling the experience bar that last time which would ding you to 51 it instead resets you to level 1 and warps you back to your starter town. There would be some reward for doing this. Maybe you get to add stats to an item of your choice or something. Maybe something cosmetic. Make it matter but try to keep the power creep under control.

So basically, a server where everyone is forever leveling up but there is at least some ongoing purpose in playing a character.

If it was basically P99 but with these rules would anyone be interested?

mcoy
06-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Sounds easier to just implement AA.

-Mcoy

LulzSect©
06-28-2018, 02:07 PM
If you haven’t like really really played in a while, delete and start over

You’ll be surprised how much fun the game can be

We’re the final boss of the internet

Mblake1981
06-28-2018, 02:24 PM
MMORPGs are dead man.

P99 EQ is a necro pet risen from the grave.

*Hear us cackle*

Mblake1981
06-28-2018, 02:32 PM
What makes EQ great? its part nostalgia for sure. It was pretty darn amazing for its day considering the infancy of MMORPG games, with its graphics which really were top notch. It was satisfying enough to be part of that game world and share with the other players.

So much focus on the video game aspect, sure it factors in and its important. Pre-Kunark EQ had it the best imo. Before Wiki's etc etc when you just got lost exploring or trying to figure something out. But with an emphasis on other people being just as lost as you are. It was new for everyone involved.

Being part of a game world like this is not going to be special for a new game, that experience happened 18 years ago and is now water under the bridge.

The ground breaking at the time from 2D to 3D. Perhaps VR will bring a "New EQ" type of experience but I think its pretty gay wearing a helmet and looking like Johnny Mnemonic. Computers in their form had been around for decades before EQ hit the scene. It was an acceptable medium across many walks of life, from school to business.

Mobile phone games are probably where you should focus, make a fantasy game with parkour and WoW graphics engine. PokemonQuest maybe but that age group is already in or out of college. Perhaps Dungeons and Dragons mixed with Paw Patrol.

Thugnuts
06-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Won't change anything.

Within a month of your server launching and becoming popular, the NEETbeards will form an ultra mega guild, create a 24/7 monopoly on all 45-50 XP zones, and sell access to mobs for plat and real life shekels.

DinoTriz
06-28-2018, 02:54 PM
I quit live during Velious so I never got a taste of AAs.

Would like to partake.

Of course not this server, but somewhere.

Whirled
06-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Would there be Shared Bank slots?
I'm asking for a friend.... really....

Mblake1981
06-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Would there be Shared Bank slots?
I'm asking for a friend.... really....

unlimited shared bank and one free Moon Cat seller npc you can place in the Bazaar for your goods.

LulzSect©
06-28-2018, 03:43 PM
ground drop transfer like a real elf man

DinoTriz
06-28-2018, 03:48 PM
ground drop transfer like a real elf man

Ground transfers have never failed me.

I do them for the thrill of it.

Listen to me, getting a thrill off of ground transfers. What am I doing with my life? I should be married and have kids.

Whirled
06-28-2018, 03:53 PM
I used to drop bag transfer all the time. One time though, the game locked up on me mid-transfer & by the time I rebooted & got back in; my bag full of goodies was gone.

xCry0x
06-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Ok, P99 is great and all but for a lot of us the end game is...well...it's just not something we're going to do for one reason or another.

I think there is a lot of false perceptions about what end game raiding is like -- or more, what the time investment is really like.

You park your main at a raid target and log in if you are available when said target spawns. Aside from that, you are free to play alts and do whatever you want.

Now if all you want to do in EQ is level, by all means knock yourself out.

That said, your proposed server would likely be a ghost town.

MagpieRockyl
06-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Once a member to a raid guild all it takes is attending 1 earthquake/repop a month to achieve minimum raiding requirement. Like 10 hours a month, not hard to be Uber leet

Argh
06-28-2018, 04:31 PM
You can do all of this on this server by:

Not participating in raiding.
De-level your character manually to 5 after dinging 50/60.
Re-leveling.

Or you could create a new server, spend years coding to get everything 'classic' and have a max population of 50 players. Hope this helps.

MagpieRockyl
06-28-2018, 04:52 PM
You can do all of this on this server by:

Not participating in raiding.
De-level your character manually to 5 after dinging 50/60.
Re-leveling.

Or you could create a new server, spend years coding to get everything 'classic' and have a max population of 50 players. Hope this helps.

should I get laid instead mr argh matey

zodium
06-28-2018, 04:56 PM
I have fun on P99. :o

Walex
06-28-2018, 07:12 PM
I quit live during Velious so I never got a taste of AAs.

Would like to partake.

Of course not this server, but somewhere.

TAKP welcomes you. Luclin launches in a month.

Sillyturtle
06-28-2018, 07:28 PM
To answer your question, no. This idea sounds horrible to me.

DinoTriz
06-28-2018, 07:29 PM
TAKP welcomes you. Luclin launches in a month.

I may try you guys out at some point. Thanks for the heads up.

ibetweenk
06-28-2018, 07:38 PM
reporting in that i did not read the OP or anything but the title

Yasi
06-29-2018, 01:28 AM
Could also make every equip item on the server no drop and lock corpses so people who did not participate in the kill remain unable to loot.

aaezil
06-29-2018, 02:04 AM
Disable MQ and make everything no drop id play the hell out of that server

zodium
06-29-2018, 02:19 AM
I, too, wish they'd make a single player EQ.

wait no

One Tin Soldier
06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
I, too, wish they'd make a single player EQ.

wait no

I can't imagine how you got "single player EQ" from what I posted. That's pretty much the opposite of what I want. I specifically said that the fun of the game is in the grouping while leveling up.

The reason I would like to see high end loot kept out of the game is to prevent the ridiculous twinking of characters who then have no need to group. Not just raid loot but things like fungi tunics would need to be removed.

But apparently the idea doesn't appeal to the crowd here. You would rather have your guild mates power level your 13th alt to max level or solo your way with a mega-twink and not be inconvenienced by having to actually group with people.

destrozi
06-29-2018, 09:29 AM
No.

DinoTriz
06-29-2018, 09:29 AM
That's exactly what i want to do... Spend a shit ton of time getting my toon to level 60, and then only be able to play them for a few hours a week because I'm required to have them sit at a raid mob.

Sounds like an absolute blast!

In all honesty, there's not much else to do when you're 60.

I have a Rogue perma-parked in Seb when I feel like doing a CE or King group.

Hasn't been outside that zone in like a year or so. I'm amazed I still have food and drink on him.

Nixtar
06-29-2018, 09:50 AM
In all honesty, there's not much else to do when you're 60.

I have a Rogue perma-parked in Seb when I feel like doing a CE or King group.

Hasn't been outside that zone in like a year or so. I'm amazed I still have food and drink on him.

Whaaat?! You have all the exciting competition everyone on P99 speaks so warmly about! This great game of whack-a-mole is where the true heroes of P99 are found. There is also a promising career of law you can engage in which looks great on anyone's CV. Very few have the skill and tenacity to emerge victorious in the Norrathian courts.

Maliant
06-29-2018, 10:02 AM
Nothing to do at 60? VP Key, ST key, build MR / FR / CR set, if you play a class where epic is actually hard you probably don’t have it at 60 yet. If you are a monk you probably don’t have beads or bio orb yet, better get farming. Soulfire faction and quest, PoM quests, Strength of the Elements quests, Coldain Ring 10, Eyepatch of Plunder, Circlet of the Falinkan quest, velious faction grinding. Keeping consumables stocked —> Wort pots, SoW pots, Greater Null Pots, Thurg potions, CT potions, wooly spider nets, golem wands, midnight mallet, WC cap. Congrats you now have one raid eligible toon. Now work on making another so you can be at least 2 places at once, follow same steps.

Maliant
06-29-2018, 10:08 AM
I’m sure I forgot a lot, off-hand I already know I forgot Spirit of Garzicor quest and Shawl quest. Most of these quests involve maxing various trade skills by the way. Also if you are a melee that planar armor with +wis isn’t worthless, start building a set for trade skills.

Nexii
06-29-2018, 10:17 AM
No, the problem isn't loot or level cap or anything like that. Even on a classic level 50 capped server, you'd see people preferring to solo/duo if they are the OP classes (necro, mage).

The problem is that there isn't a big exp modifier to grouping in classic EQ. Hence why people prefer smaller groups. In POP they went too extreme the other way, making anything but 6 man groups vastly inferior exp.

DinoTriz
06-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Nothing to do at 60? VP Key, ST key, build MR / FR / CR set, if you play a class where epic is actually hard you probably don’t have it at 60 yet. If you are a monk you probably don’t have beads or bio orb yet, better get farming. Soulfire faction and quest, PoM quests, Strength of the Elements quests, Coldain Ring 10, Eyepatch of Plunder, Circlet of the Falinkan quest, velious faction grinding. Keeping consumables stocked —> Wort pots, SoW pots, Greater Null Pots, Thurg potions, CT potions, wooly spider nets, golem wands, midnight mallet, WC cap. Congrats you now have one raid eligible toon. Now work on making another so you can be at least 2 places at once, follow same steps.

boring

Maliant
06-29-2018, 10:36 AM
I personally think leveling is boring and putting in work to help guildees get BiS loot against hundreds of other people once a week or a few times a week is somewhat exciting. To each their own, but there is a reason this server continues to thrive.

Dolalin
06-29-2018, 11:15 AM
My idea for a new EQ server is a disaster scenario.

An asteroid strikes Norrath directly on Freeport. The areas around are instantly turned into a fiery wasteland. Dust is thrown up into the air and the ecosystem is ruined, except for Odus, small pockets of Kunark, and eastern Faydwer.

The deep asteroid strike has unearthed old demonic Balors, evil Earth Elementals and the like, who now rule the wasteland of most of Antonica. The deep asteroid strike has also brought ancient and powerful artifacts to the surface, and the lost city of Takish Hiz has been unearthed, which is now the centre of the underworld/demonic presence.

The server is a struggle for survival. Players must gather food and resources to rebuild the cities left standing, fighting off other bands of bandits and Mad Max type gangs. If they survive, it is revealed that the gods of Good are giving mortals, via artifacts and divine intervention, means to restore the lands to what they were. But it's up to the players to do so and fight the enemies in their way.

It should play a little bit like Fallout.

Axlrose
06-29-2018, 12:11 PM
My idea for a new EQ server is a disaster scenario.

An asteroid strikes Norrath directly on Freeport. The areas around are instantly turned into a fiery wasteland.

The poor game masters and guides, bombarded by hundreds of petitions from the "phat kats" how their precious "phat lewt" is all gone with the utter destruction of the Tunnel (and the cost of Ramen noodles is not free)...!

My real life "laughing my ass off" moment was when someone brought a griffon into the tunnels and it was taking out the away from keyboard sellers. The squealing that level one to level five characters were in need of rezzes was hilarious!

LulzSect©
06-29-2018, 01:13 PM
i still think dungeon crawling is fun in EQ with a rag tag group of elf adventurers

https://i.imgur.com/fHQX7G8.jpg

Rygar
06-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Ground transfers have never failed me.

I do them for the thrill of it.

Listen to me, getting a thrill off of ground transfers. What am I doing with my life? I should be married and have kids.

Fun fact: items that contained the 'rib cage' graphic icon were bugged on Live, if they were dropped on the ground, even in a bag, you couldn't pick up the item. Hate raid with an accidentally dropped Shield of the Stalwart Seas had like 30 people around the item trying to pick it up.

Not sure when it was fixed, but believe it was around in Velious.

P.S. I have a wife and a kid (2nd on the way), the trick is to P99 / ClassicQuest after everyone goes to bed, you get 1-2 coveted hours of 'you time' which is like EQ edging.

Your wife will be supportive at first and thinks its cute you play a video game late at night, then eventually demand you get up at 4:30am every time the kid wakes up early. If you fight her on this (despite you doing it the last 5 times in a row) she will blame you for playing EQ too much since you now aren't getting enough sleep. She'll get up and later passive aggressively assign you chores to do during the child's nap time to ensure she gets to sleep during said time but you do not (this punishment apparently rights the wrongs you've inflicted upon her).

Any time she wakes up to pee after 11pm she will be sure to stop over and ask, "You're coming to bed soon, right?". Occasionally she will say something like, "I thought you said you weren't going to play late anymore?". There are many variations to this EQ-boner killing statement, you shall see.

So yes, EQ and being married with kids is possible. Go live the dream! You've been warned.

LulzSect©
06-29-2018, 02:01 PM
my fair maiden prefers me playing EverQuest (to my former toxic substance induced mischief) though demands a lot of attention at inopportune times

play while you still can boys

Rygar
06-29-2018, 03:07 PM
my fair maiden prefers me playing EverQuest (to my former toxic substance induced mischief) though demands a lot of attention at inopportune times

play while you still can boys

Hahaha, like EQ isn't classified as a drug. No wonder you can be prone to relapse, need to not only cut one drug / alcohol habit out of your life, but P99 / ForumQuest as well. Those will still give you that chemical reaction your body craves, but when it can't get it in high enough quantities you turn to booze and/or drugs to fill the gap.

You purge yourself and reform your drug / alcohol ways, and think EQ / ForumQuest is just fun and games when it is the true Bonnie to your Clyde.

Spyder knows this truth, time for you to as well.

Maliant
06-29-2018, 03:10 PM
Resistance is futile. I wonder how many relationships EQ / P99 has destroyed.

Rygar
06-29-2018, 03:30 PM
If you consider opportunity cost (i.e. Playing EQ when you could be pursuing a relationship) for sure the number is high.

Not like it's alarming or anything, small percentage wise. I'm sure pure drugs / alcohol / gambling / sex addiction / religion / personal tragedy reign supreme in that regard.

DinoTriz
06-29-2018, 03:33 PM
If you consider opportunity cost (i.e. Playing EQ when you could be pursuing a relationship) for sure the number is high.

But everyone here is cool and normal and successful.

They told me so on this forum.

LulzSect©
06-29-2018, 03:50 PM
i've been dry for a good spell now dear chum

sticking to bud, everquest, and my fair maiden

Evia
06-29-2018, 05:12 PM
I used to drop bag transfer all the time. One time though, the game locked up on me mid-transfer & by the time I rebooted & got back in; my bag full of goodies was gone.

This happened to me! Fungi was in the bag I was supposed to ground drop next...needless to say I had a player do it for me instead after that.

One Tin Soldier
06-30-2018, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to post again but I guess I wanted to admit that I was a little slow to understand why you people responded the way you did. Then it dawned on me that, of course, the people who would agree with me probably don't visit this message board very often if at all. I myself have been registered here since 2010 and only have a little over 100 posts.

The people who frequent this site are the very people who would be most hostile to what I was suggesting. You are the ones who monopolize entire zones power leveling alts. You are the ones who twink your alts to such a ridiculous degree that you have no need to group and then complain when people playing the game a more normal way take your mobs.

You are the people who just want to sit at max level squabbling over phat lewts in your depressing attempts to impress people with your pixels.

It was silly of me to make such a suggestion to you people, of course you would be hostile to it.

DinoTriz
06-30-2018, 08:04 AM
thisisgoingtobegood.gif

zodium
06-30-2018, 08:24 AM
https://i.imgur.com/HQEnZQr.gif

d3r14k
06-30-2018, 09:23 AM

^ Is the low pixel equivalent of:

https://i.imgur.com/JB98Amo.gif

Wfrench1234
06-30-2018, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to post again but I guess I wanted to admit that I was a little slow to understand why you people responded the way you did. Then it dawned on me that, of course, the people who would agree with me probably don't visit this message board very often if at all. I myself have been registered here since 2010 and only have a little over 100 posts.

The people who frequent this site are the very people who would be most hostile to what I was suggesting. You are the ones who monopolize entire zones power leveling alts. You are the ones who twink your alts to such a ridiculous degree that you have no need to group and then complain when people playing the game a more normal way take your mobs.

You are the people who just want to sit at max level squabbling over phat lewts in your depressing attempts to impress people with your pixels.

It was silly of me to make such a suggestion to you people, of course you would be hostile to it.

What do you mean, you people?

LulzSect©
06-30-2018, 10:18 AM
i'm having a blast playing my lowbie sk decked out with 2k of gear

git gud

Baler
06-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Fun fact: items that contained the 'rib cage' graphic icon were bugged on Live, if they were dropped on the ground, even in a bag, you couldn't pick up the item. Hate raid with an accidentally dropped Shield of the Stalwart Seas had like 30 people around the item trying to pick it up.

Not sure when it was fixed, but believe it was around in Velious.

P.S. I have a wife and a kid (2nd on the way), the trick is to P99 / ClassicQuest after everyone goes to bed, you get 1-2 coveted hours of 'you time' which is like EQ edging.

Your wife will be supportive at first and thinks its cute you play a video game late at night, then eventually demand you get up at 4:30am every time the kid wakes up early. If you fight her on this (despite you doing it the last 5 times in a row) she will blame you for playing EQ too much since you now aren't getting enough sleep. She'll get up and later passive aggressively assign you chores to do during the child's nap time to ensure she gets to sleep during said time but you do not (this punishment apparently rights the wrongs you've inflicted upon her).

Any time she wakes up to pee after 11pm she will be sure to stop over and ask, "You're coming to bed soon, right?". Occasionally she will say something like, "I thought you said you weren't going to play late anymore?". There are many variations to this EQ-boner killing statement, you shall see.

So yes, EQ and being married with kids is possible. Go live the dream! You've been warned.

How to be an RnF poster without posting in RnF. Rygar leading by example.

He's talking about himself,.. He's talking about himself.
GL with the divorce over P99 bugs. I hope she gets the kids.

Rygar
06-30-2018, 10:40 AM

Of course I'm talking about myself, that's the point? Great detective skills. Way to reach a new low Baler wishing me personal emotional pain and strife!

LulzSect©
06-30-2018, 10:43 AM
i think he's mad rygar

zodium
06-30-2018, 10:54 AM