PDA

View Full Version : PoM Cubby level requirement? Aggro stuff

syztem
07-01-2018, 11:25 AM
It's been a while, now that pom cubby binds in ntov are gone. unless you have a necro or lowbie rezbot in case your mage dies(i have a necro able to EE rez just in case but prefer not to) I am wondering what the min level people coth up there without getting aggro. I know 55s+ are just fine, i think even 54? I do remember doing some coths back in the day and getting aggro bringing 51 52s up, but I DON'T recall if it was because the flurry drake pather was going by at a bad time and saw them.

Anyone know the min safe level to do it, assuming you avoid the pather that can get in line of sight to aggro people below 55 easier then higher levels? Someone spoke of starting to camp at a certain time, so call of hero hits you just at 1-3 seconds left and you log out. Wait for mage to safely camp out, then make a dash for click in. To me this sounds like you would likely just die upon logging in before you even got a chance to turn and click the house?

Any suggestions or tips? this is assuming all the spawns are up, and the pather is up too(just wait for him to pass so its safer)

icedwards
07-01-2018, 11:42 AM
I've had 52 toons of mine coth'd up fine.

Doil_Boil
07-01-2018, 12:36 PM
It's been a while, now that pom cubby binds in ntov are gone. unless you have a necro or lowbie rezbot in case your mage dies(i have a necro able to EE rez just in case but prefer not to) I am wondering what the min level people coth up there without getting aggro. I know 55s+ are just fine, i think even 54? I do remember doing some coths back in the day and getting aggro bringing 51 52s up, but I DON'T recall if it was because the flurry drake pather was going by at a bad time and saw them.

Anyone know the min safe level to do it, assuming you avoid the pather that can get in line of sight to aggro people below 55 easier then higher levels? Someone spoke of starting to camp at a certain time, so call of hero hits you just at 1-3 seconds left and you log out. Wait for mage to safely camp out, then make a dash for click in. To me this sounds like you would likely just die upon logging in before you even got a chance to turn and click the house?

Any suggestions or tips? this is assuming all the spawns are up, and the pather is up too(just wait for him to pass so its safer)

Most of the people selling say 55+ in their auction.

zodium
07-01-2018, 12:36 PM
I swear I got my coth at 52 and sent up lots myself, but last I tried a 52 we got straight murdered, so now I dunno. :o

syztem
07-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Yeah its why im a bit mixed on it, I just cannot remember if the people 52-53 etc were dying because the flurry drake pather went by(seems to have a larger aggro radius, and when he gets farther away your visible to him opposed to the statics being line of sighted)

Elerial
07-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Last auction i saw in ec today, by "Thnx" was 52+

syztem
07-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Curious, hopefully more feedback. Cause I have def seen 52s die before, as well as 53s. Just really no idea if it was bad timing with pather or insta aggro from nearby statics.

evilkorn
07-01-2018, 04:30 PM
54 still had too far of an agro range to be comfortable.

Bummey
07-01-2018, 04:51 PM
I took my necro in at like 52. I had harmshield and quivering veil ready, just in case, but I didn't need to use them.

Just make to hold still when you get summoned and wait for the magician to log out. They'll probably have it timed to summon you after the pather goes by, with enough time for them to cast, camp out, and for you to get to the castle before it comes back.

syztem
07-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Yeah I have had no problems taking up monks and necros/sk since FD. they can stay feigned until im safely out. I will wait for a few more posts if any with more advice, if nothing can be confirmed about pather or true min level range

(maybe it can have to do with level + race? ie a fat ogre tucked in, but still large enough to be partially in LoS) as opposed to say, a gnome, who gets called into the corner halfway into the wall like I already am.

but if no one knows for sure, I might just risk it and if i get killed ill just rez the mage, and the 53 will have to wait 7 days and get a corpse summon unless they want to run back to tov w a necro.

Bummey
07-01-2018, 08:19 PM
Just make to hold still when you get summoned and wait for the magician to log out. They'll probably have it timed to summon you after the pather goes by, with enough time for them to cast, camp out, and for you to get to the castle before it comes back.

Better yet, ask the summoning magician what they need you to do.

Daloon
07-01-2018, 11:04 PM
I coth 52+ and I /Q out and tell them not to move until I am out of the game. Never seen a death, never cared where pather was.

Elerial
07-02-2018, 02:34 AM
I took my necro in at like 52. I had harmshield and quivering veil ready, just in case, but I didn't need to use them.

Quivering Veil of Xarn is like 57 or 58...

Rygar
07-02-2018, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure if P99 has this implemented, but Torven has done some excellent research into Aggro / Hate mechanics on Live, see here:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39819

Check out this section:
Level disparity with the NPC does NOT affect the distance/radius it will proximity aggro on the player.

This is a commonly held myth. Level 1s will aggro at the same distance level 100s will.

Before calling BS on this I suggest reading his entire post, it is some legit in depth analysis.

So basically... on the coth to PoM, if P99 has Torven's observations implemented, a level 46 should be able to get a coth and avoid aggro just as well as a level 60. Can test this out here on some undead mob that would aggro both a level 1 or a level 60 and see if the distance is the same.

Some other great gems in that thread too, particularly the leash distances tested on Al'Kabor. Sirens Grotto is 200, Chardok is 280. So basically if you had the right bow / arrow combo you could just kill an NPC that is out of range without being aggroed. It may make pulling some mobs easier, others harder (Fellspine?). Of course Chardok being 280 brings into question how classic those 100+ PBAoE pulls were (I'm sure it still could be done, but needing much more care, as would train pulling royals to zone).

Would assume Haynar / Nilbog is aware of all this info, but not sure which parts they felt were adjusted differently in classic.

Doctor Jeff
07-02-2018, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure if P99 has this implemented
Don't think it has... on a level 1 a decaying skeleton will aggro you from a ways away but at level 60 you have to walk right over it.

I have cothed chars of all sizes at 54 with no trouble, but we always camp the mage before the coth-ee touches their keyboard.

SpinFin
07-02-2018, 09:24 AM
I coth into the corner so tucked that you are kind of stuck. I ask for people to be shrunk or FD. No moving, no sitting. Level 52 Min. I camp out first then advise them to /rewind every 10-15 seconds to shake free and run across to click asap.

Rygar
07-02-2018, 09:50 AM
I believe Haynar found that leash range isn’t check until after the first 15 or 30 seconds? IE in regular pulling situations, the mob would close the distance to you before the short leash range mattered.

Also of notable Al’Kabor annecdotes, in very few cases the leash range varied by mob within a single zone. VP dragons had infinite leash while the trash had 200 or something very small.

From Torven's research:
You'll notice that a few zones/NPCs have a forget distance of 200. What happens when you wear a extended range focus and nuke from beyond 200? Good question. What happens is the mob doesn't chase you, even as you're killing it. It just stands there and dies.

Doesn't mention any kind of 15-30 second delay? Unsure if above is from Live or AK.

I saw his mention on VP dragons, but didn't say infinite, but indeed larger range.

All in all, very interesting stuff. Crazy to think how much specifics were implemented to the hate mechanics, I think most assume it's pretty basic.

Triiz
07-02-2018, 10:13 AM
This is a commonly held myth. Level 1s will aggro at the same distance level 100s will.
I think anyone who has ever used an Eye of Zomm would dispute that being the case on P99.

Rygar
07-02-2018, 10:24 AM
I think anyone who has ever used an Eye of Zomm would dispute that being the case on P99.

I seem to recall a dev interview where it said mobs have a dice roll when deciding whether to proximity aggro or not (or even assist). Those interviews are always taken with a grain of salt, so I'd be curious to know the details of how Torven tested this.

If the dice roll was true, it could theoretically be possible to aggro the same distance, but it would just take longer for the NPC to decide to attack a higher level player, which could give the illusion that the range is different, but if a level 1 (eye of zomm) was nearby they would almost always decide to attack instantly at max distance.

I really don't know, just spit balling.

Jimjam
07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
There was a retroactive AI overhaul on live, somewhere about the time shrouds/monster missions were added to the game iirc, so variable by level aggro ranges could be something that was in game and was later cut.

Bummey
07-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Quivering Veil of Xarn is like 57 or 58...

You're right. I meant a DA idol. I initially wrote that I had two DA spells ready, then changed the wording to the "correct" spell names and my idiot yogurt brain automatically wrote Quivering Veil after Harmshield.

icedwards
07-02-2018, 01:47 PM
What does a level 52 even do in PoM?

I’ve never been so I have no idea, my ideas on this zone are that it’s for solo classes only. Necro, Sham, ench and druids.

The plants in the forest have low hp and the zone is one of the better ZEM for that level. It's also inconvenient to get to so exp camps are usually open (although the 72 min respawn makes sharing camps rough).

kotton05
07-02-2018, 01:52 PM
You time your camp with the Coth of the mage so your camp lands just after the Coth lands. Mage camps out you load in then click in. Bam a lvl 46 in PoM.

You’re welcome.