PDA

View Full Version : The Enchanter Class

casdegere
03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Sheesh, I don't ever remember the Enchanter class being so weak at level 20. I've tried to solo and its doable but its ALOT of medding. No way I can kill 2 blue mobs without medding after the first one. Any mob add is death more often then not. Been somewhat discouraged about it and I've read the different ways to approach soloing as an Enchanter. Kamikaze, Semi-Kamikaze, Root/Nuke etc. If it weren't for Root or Stuns I don't think I could solo at all. Not to mention I get resists and have to scramble to recast. On blues. Forget about Yellows. White are a HUGE gamble for me.

Seen the Necro and Mage classes kicking ass at my level.

And Charm? Forget about it. Useless. It works...for 5 seconds and then the monster appears much stronger when it proceeds to kick the living tar out of me. You would think that spells do not require a massive amount of twinking to work. What use is Charm if you need a 200 Charisma at level 20 to be able to use it? My only real option is Root/Nuke. It's done the best for me and allows me to do more damage then my pet. However it does burn mana. I'm not giving up or anything but it's been a battle of frustration at times.

Bruno
03-24-2011, 04:10 PM
This is a funny post.

runlvlzero
03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
i think even the "solo classes" can benefit and get better xp by grouping... soloing never was fun for me even as an ubar necro back on a few other servers.

it more so is on this server...

probably try duoing, allot of times a mage and ench or necro/ench or wiz/ench can do allot more because they have you to pull split and mez bigger camps they normally would have trouble with on their own, plus in a group your pet is much more efficient...

if you want to go the charm route, make sure to bring along a cleric or druid =)

I think the best of the best xp i have gotten in this game was duo

ide say that option for enchanter soloing is there as a 2cndary hey i can do this if i want to log in for 20 mins and kill a named/ph, not really as an exp grinding method till 30+

Zigfreed
03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
You don't mention using your pet. Use it. Done your research spells yet? Do them. Yellows will kill you, whites probably might. Tis how it was.

Also.. The game is more fun played with others, play with them. XP in dungeons, the xp is faaar faaar better than outdoors zones. Go slay Uguk, Mistmoore entrance area, unrest etc etc. And yeah, your charm spells are useless at lvl 20. Give it up in that dept.

nemethor
03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
lulz
ur one of the most vital group classes in the game and one of the most versatile classes to duo with and you're complaining about not being able to solo well enough? try playing a rogue you whiner.

Bruno
03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I just logged into my buddies 50 ench to see his time played. 12 days 13 hours played, and that's with time fucking around at 50. Probably one of the easiest classes to level solo. He used pet and stun the entire time. You're just doing it wrong.

Nedala
03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
I was able to solo kedge entrance at lvl 34, with my animation pet. Hard for any other class to do so at that lvl. And at higher lvls (39+) you can charm and solo mobs that nobody else can, like king in lguk (at 49). But even without charm your pet is pretty good especially when it starts to dual wield (when you give him a weapon).

It gets better with higher lvl, and anything gets faster at 29 when you get clarity.

Edit: and how is any add = death? you are THE cc class, do you use mezz? You should even be able to keep a mob mezzed and med mana faster than the mezz consumes your mana.

Sorrow*qc
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM
you just suck, get some skills

pull with tash, let pet get aggro or root, then stun. easy as adlsjkf

Dr4z3r
03-24-2011, 04:48 PM
2cndary

Really?

Back on topic, I agree that you'll probably find duoing a lot more useful.

That said, CHA is a really easy stat to raise! There's lots of cheap gear out there that can up it nice & quick, so don't give up on that avenue.

guineapig
03-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Slow and steady wins the race.
Ask mages about breaking camps in Kunark Dungeons.

Like others have stated, use your animation. It's free damage!
At level 20 you should be able to use both rune and berserker strength on yourself, basically taking zero damage per fight so all you have to pay attention to is mana efficiency. Root/nuke is one of the least efficient ways for an enchanter to kill.

Aetherial
03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
My chanter is 50
IMHO Chanter is the easiest class to play, level, and get plat.

At 20, go to oasis, haste your pet, slow the mob, and nuke when necessary. This is dead easy.

Baa
03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
+1 to enc being easy mode

Malrubius
03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Known issue. Search (http://www.project1999.org/forums/search.php) is your friend.

Potus
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Enc pet aggro is non-existent and Enc spell aggro is way too strong on this server, so I sympathize with the OP -- lower level Enc soloing is more painful than it was on live. Instead you have to pull, get hit, then root and let your pet do almost all the damage.

Tale
03-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Enc pet aggro is non-existent and Enc spell aggro is way too strong on this server, so I sympathize with the OP -- lower level Enc soloing is more painful than it was on live. Instead you have to pull, get hit, then root and let your pet do almost all the damage.

I don't think that's true. It feels the same as it was on live in 1999-2000. I've just soloed a chanter to 16 and I played a chanter to 50 in 1999-2000.

For the animation pet to defend you, you always had to pull and get hit. You shouldn't need root. Manage the aggro and you won't need it. Use mana sparingly. For example, pull by running too close to a mob on an angle that won't aggro something else (use soothe line if you need to split a camp). That's the fastest way for the pet to build more aggro than you, merely through damage.

The animation pets have taunt that works the same as a warrior's taunt (I played a warrior to 62 in 1999-2002). The higher level the pet, the better the taunt, but it's short range and fails often. You can see it how it works on humanoid mobs which will reply "I'll teach you to interfere with me ..." when taunt is successful (that's your signal to step away and sit/med out of range). The mob says nothing when it's unsuccessful.

Let the pet build some aggro, then debuff the mob. If you need to debuff the mob faster, memblur it after (clears the aggro list when successful, so pet can build aggro fast again).

Once the pet has built enough aggro through damage, you can afford to step in with a DoT and/or nuke. Accelerate your nuking when the mob's health gets low enough that you can finish it off without too much danger. You'll get this down to a fine art of nuking the mob to around the point where it will flee, so nothing is wasted and your pet or DoT finishes it off while you med more.

Potus
03-25-2011, 12:39 AM
I've found my experiences to be entirely different from yours. For example just aggro'ing by running into melee range has had a monster on me until my pet did about 10% of the mob's health, and then anything I cast, either dots or tash, the mob was back on me.

As I've leveled and my pet has gotten higher the taunt has been better. Haste + dual wielding animations are way better.

I tested Mem Blur and honestly think it's bugged on this server.

Caravelle1
03-25-2011, 01:05 AM
I leveled very very fast with enchanter to 50, being my first char. What you need is a healing partner, I had a shaman partner. You can use a hasted /duel wielding animation to tear through mobs in guk as long as you have a healer following you. Just mez every mob except the one your pet is on, and make good use of calm line.

Tale
03-25-2011, 01:41 AM
I tested Mem Blur and honestly think it's bugged on this server.

Mem Blur does feel different on this server from original EQ. I've been able to get it to reduce heavy aggro (from debuffs/nukes) to minor aggro (as if I'd just stepped inside an aggro radius, so the pet can regain aggro quickly) but I haven't been able to get it to make a mezzed mob forget me, which it should be able to do. Mez spells themselves had a chance of memblurring in original EQ, and I haven't seen that either.

Potus
03-25-2011, 01:58 AM
I'll have to try it more. I casted Mem Blur about 30 times on a mezzed mob and it forgot me a total of 2 times. It was a lowbie green skeleton at the entrance to Najena.

fischsemmel
03-25-2011, 06:25 AM
You don't mention using your pet. Use it. Done your research spells yet? Do them. Yellows will kill you, whites probably might. Tis how it was.

In classic?

I didn't start until Kunark, and I was probably in my mid 30s during Velious. But I seem to remember, when I was in my upper teens, owning the shit out of all the golems and lower-level guards in Nektulos with charming. And then spectres in oasis in the 30s. About the only times I would ever die is when my awesomesauce 28k connection crapped out on me.

And I didn't really know wtf was going on back then. I think that the reason I made my enchanter was because I saw an enchanter pet one day, and I thought it was actually a permanently invis player who was grouped with the enchanter... and that you could only see his two, awesome, dual-wielded weapons.

casdegere
03-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Let me start by saying, my character is not Twinked at all. My mana pool is at about 640 at level 20. I do use my pet, almost always.

Aviaks and Elephants are easy to explain because I've been doing them recently.

Since Elephants are non-aggressive you have to tag them. I use either my weakest DD spell or run up and tag them. Pet engaged however even using that spell is risky due to agro. I've found tagging it for under 10 damage works best. I back up to a respectable range. Root, Tash and land a Choke. If pet is dying fast It's Whirl time. Now to be more specific:

Quick:80 (it only last about 4 minutes)
Root: 30 (if not resisted outright)
Tash:20 (Luckily it can't be resisted)
Choke:50 (if not resisted outright)

Ok now here, already 180 mana is spent. On elephants or Dark Blue Aviaks, my pet just doesn't have the HP to take the damage so its either adding Whirls or Slow. Mostly I prefer Whirls as slow is resisted more and takes alot more mana.

Whirl:55 Total mana spent: 235 mana.

Typically however, one thing out of the resistible spells is resisted. Add in about 50 more mana for that recast.

To finish off I either use sanity or another Choke depending on how much health is left of the mob.

Sanity Warp: 75mana
Choke:50
Another Whirl:55

So now, if everything goes right we are talking about 415mana spent and usually something else is resisted if they are Dark blue.

I played a Chanter on live as well and I don't remember having to recast so much. However, it might be due to the fact that the Chanter I played was much more decked out at this level. Remember i am wearing Damask armor mostly with a few Int. Items like Stein Of Mog (Nice Quest), Silver Engagement Ring (I made myself) and a nice Robe (Silken Green Drape) That was gifted to me, Crude Stein I picked up from a dead Ogre Guard. A couple other lower end items that someone had given me.

I guess my frustration comes from rolling with a Mage and Necro most of the time. They are handing the mega smackdown on White, Yellow mobs at will. I would never THINK about going after a White or Yellow. I tried it and it was a plain disaster with all the resists. Root...resisted, Choke...resisted. Now if you are an Enchanter you know you don't have alot of HP. Recasting adds agro. Resists force recasts. And getting hit interrupts. The Mage can literally tag a mob and let their pet serve it up. Necro dots, fears, kites while pet is whacking away. There is so much more room for error there.

I can Charm green things easily. Light Blues are ok but the Charm breaks alot. And this is with a high level Shaman buffing my Charisma and landing a Malo on the Charm subject. Dark Blues, forget about it. Doesn't last but a few seconds.

I've tried Gnolls, Bears, Aviaks, Skeletons and Lizardmen of various cons. Result is very similar. I guess what this is, is jealousy. I suppose its the price I must pay for the golden levels that lie ahead when the Chanter class comes into its own.

toxiqwurm
03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Try grouping? The time this game was released, some classes were implemented for grouping. Being able to solo well, was key to primarily solo classes. On that note, many of us have very similar situationsof resists, its part of the game. Your mana pool and your survival chances will go up exponentially , grouping

guineapig
03-25-2011, 07:40 AM
My final suggestion would be to pull with tash from a good distance and your root will more than likely land first time. In most situations it should be the first spell you cast unless you are already a few levels above the mob. In any case, sif you are planning on casting it anyway, do it right away so you don't have to cast something else twice.

casdegere
03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeap I am reserved to yield to the notion that soloing right now is going to be slow and painful. :rolleyes:

Striiker
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I've commented a few times on the subject of enchanters on P99 s live in 99/2000. Charming is not anywhere close to how it was sub lvl 39 (apparently as I have not hit that level yet). I was one who used charm exclusively when soloing on live and I ripped through yellow and red con mobs with relative ease in North Karana and other zones. It's something which will apparently not be fixed so it's best to move on and utilize the rest of your tools. It's not as efficient but it IS doable and can be more challenging and more fun.

Don't spend too much effort looking at the other pet classes and feeling envious. They do well at soloing and it's been a know fact. If soloing tougher mobs at low levels is that important to you, you should consider rolling a Necro or Mage as you'll feel more gratification.

I did a fair amount of soloing with my enchanter on P99. I prefer grouping and I did a lot of that but due to time constraints, I also racked up a lot of solo time. I always used my animation and buffed him with haste and shielding. For the most part, I pulled with Tash and then rooted as it arrived and started hitting me. I would step back and drop a choke DOT on it and then often slow (depending upon the mob). If needed, I'd take a few hits. On tougher mobs, I used whirl and most certainly, on casters. In SolB, I'd pull Inferno goblins (tough guys) with slow and then root as they arrived. I'd immediately then tash and dot. This was before the issues with resists was in effect so pulling with tash right now in all cases is probably the best bet. (until they fix the issues with resists).

I'm not one to complain at you and tell you that you should be grouping because of how enchanters are always welcome in groups. If you wish to solo, that's your choice and you have your reasons. When possible, I would urge grouping as it's very fun and a well played enchanter can allow a group to pull off some impossible encounters.. It's important for you to keep up on grouping skills as a poorly played / inexperienced enchanter can really drag a group down. I hope this helps in some small way. Have fun!!

Ezsefix
03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
you just suck, get some skills

pull with tash, let pet get aggro or root, then stun. easy as adlsjkf

For realsies.

I LOVE soloing on my enchanter. It's hella easy. Grouping is fun too, but I got sick of getting wiped out by lower level groups, so I've soloed my ench up to like 30 for the most part. Once you get clarity groups will suck your dick to get you to join them.

Striiker
03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
For realsies.

I LOVE soloing on my enchanter. It's hella easy. Grouping is fun too, but I got sick of getting wiped out by lower level groups, so I've soloed my ench up to like 30 for the most part. Once you get clarity groups will suck your dick to get you to join them.

So, since you like to solo can one extrapolate how you convince yourself to self-group? :eek:

Tetrian
03-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Pull with slow, nuke or a dot or similar.(experiment with effeciency) Take a hit, root and let pet get agro. Melee or med while letting pet melee (i meleed a shitload)

When pet starts to get low, step in and soak up damage for em, while adding nukes as needed.

You just got the troll illusion, which reduces down time enough for it to be close to non stop killling with that method.

Jigga
03-25-2011, 11:10 PM
I played an ench on live not on this server but when the good solo camps were camped i would find open zone places and use pet dot and fear. Killing even con shit was easy then mid high 40's i charm kill butcherblock guards

Nanto
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Resists are currently high, extremely high...

Even with 206 CHA at level 50 Mez is being resisted, lull is being resisted, charm lasts like 30 seconds now...

What is everyone else experiencing with spellchangesv6? I feel nerfed. :(

guineapig
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Resists are currently high, extremely high...

Even with 206 CHA at level 50 Mez is being resisted, lull is being resisted, charm lasts like 30 seconds now...

What is everyone else experiencing with spellchangesv6? I feel nerfed. :(

I was in a charm group in Chardok the other day. I found that with 250 charisma and tash on mobs that were maybe 1-2 levels below me the charm was lasting maybe 2-4 minutes on average. Occasional early breaks, rarely a long duration.

We added a mage in to the group for malo and durations went way up. I would say 7-10 minutes on average.

Lull was kind of wacky. At times I could land 5-6 successful lulls in a row. Other times I would get 7 pacify resists in a row alternating between 2 different mobs. Eventually we gave up and started pulling by just mezzing the add then doing tash/memblur. It worked out real well for us.

In my opinion, grouping is more fun, less down time, and safer!

casdegere
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Well Whirl used to be good so that our Pets could take less damage and inflict more. With so many resists I had to rely on my pet in this way. Now that Whirl is all but gone (i can only use it for interrupts) and Root is completely unreliable now my only option is to Let pet tank a bit by getting hit then nuke it up.

If I use my weakest DD, Shallow Breath, Tashan or anything else I assume so much agro my pet can not taunt mobs off of me. I am left with moving into agro range to pull by Runing up and taking a hit then Chain Nuking once my pet has tanked for a bit. This is very different then I remember playing on live.

Outside where there is room to move around other methods can be used ofcourse but not inside in tighter places. Now that i have been grouping more (not having a real choice) I am doing much better.

However, it does not change the fact that Magic resist is not right. Even with Endure Magic and some magic resist gear I have never resisted a mobs spell yet but they resist me alot.

Daldaen
03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Five min da makes me sad