PDA

View Full Version : I noticed this the other day

lanystvyl
03-25-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't play much, so I'm not sure but I notice there are no descriptions when I bring up properties window on spells now. It says the name and level but not what the spell does anymore. I was looking for my level 30 lich type spell, and had to go to zam to figure out which one it was. Its not a big deal but was wondering if its just me that has the issue?

Rael
03-25-2011, 09:17 AM
It's the new Kunark spell file

lanystvyl
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks ill download the newer files, think i'm on 4th I see there at 5th

Striiker
03-25-2011, 09:42 AM
The spell descriptions were removed from the game. This was done (I believe) to move the game towards how it was in classic. It sucks, I agree as we are all in the same boat now.. Having to look up spells online.

tristantio
03-25-2011, 09:45 AM
It is actually an intended change, even updating the spell files will not show descriptions. It is to preserve the classic feature.

stormlord
04-27-2011, 10:51 PM
It may be classic but if they had intended on having it the way it's then they would have allowed players to edit the spell description for each spell IN-GAME and put the actual description on the game server, not in a file on the players PC. So the idea is that players would learn what the spells are and add their own descriptions, kind of like a transcriber but for magical effects. They could have went a step further and allowed players to sell description books. The fact that they don't allow us to edit the spell description means clearly (to me) that this issue was probably buried amongst hundreds of others when they were frantically working on EQ in the first few years. Once they finally got to this issue they wrote up the descriptions and there they were. It was never about changing opinion so much as it was about financing issues and bugs/issues piling up.

My opinion is either allow us to edit in-game or bring them back. I don't think every classic feature is necessarily good. Not everything EQ did back in the day was planned very well and the features we all often claim were the end of classic and a sign of changing opinion were just as much a ball of confusion as what was there before. EQ, like most other games, if not all, was and is an experiment. Some of the cities in current p1999 have maps. What we have here is an experiment too. There're many things I can do with my client that were not available back then. This among other things tells me we should be very careful.

There're many things I would change about classic EQ. I think we all would change a number of things. It could be improved greatly and even keep the spirit of classic intact. Certainly, we all have our opinions about it and would have our own crowd of believers. But we're all eq players (and many from 1999). It makes it easy that we can look back at 1999/2000/2001 and just copy what happened as it happened. The problem with this is that it's blind. I think this spell description issue should be a poll like many other things.

I would love to be able to enter my own descriptions in-game. I think not everyone would udnerstand that, but for me it would be a lot better than what we have now. I think it's ironic that spell description may always have been intended they just never made it into hte game at first because of constraints placed on development.

Kika Maslyaka
04-27-2011, 11:05 PM
+1 to what stormlord is saying: Spirit of EQ > 'duplicate of 1999'