PDA

View Full Version : Was Enchanter epic such a poopsock on live?

Trelaboon
07-25-2018, 02:59 PM
So I have a 60 Enchanter that I’ve had benched since late Kunark, and I never did finish his epic. The epic as a whole is really probably the easiest epic I’ve ever done if you didn’t consider the suckfesf that is Verina Tomb and Vessel Drozzlin. I am basically done with epic, the only thing I’ve needed for literally years was Verina. It honestly surprises me that after so long, this camp has remained such a pain in the ass, but I guess with the server being frozen at Velious, new Enchanter alts are made every day.

It got me to thinking; how contested were these two mobs during live. Back then, level 50+ Enchanters were pretty uncommon, or at least as I remember it. I know finding one for a group was a pain in the ass back then, so I was just wondering, How many of you did this epic during Kunark/Velious? We’re they basically up, waiting to be killed most of the time?

bigjeff100
07-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Isn't Verina going to be included in the next patch? I think she's currently a 2-7 day respawn, and she's being patched to a 2-4 day respawn.. Not sure about your live question, but at least this will help going forward.. Whenever they drop the patch that is..
https://wiki.project1999.com/Verina_Tomb

bigjeff100
07-25-2018, 03:12 PM
I see no notes on Vessel tho :( I've never played an enchanter but I definitely have seen my fair share of folks frustrated with these mobs. Sounds awful. Hope your time comes soon man!

Para99
07-25-2018, 03:43 PM
I don't have the time to look them up at the moment, but there are several old Casters Realm posts from 2001 that say creating level 1's and multiple people sitting at the spawn was common practice even back then. Iirc one post specifically said it was mostly a problem on the "old" servers that had been around since launch, not as much on the newer servers.

The problem is Verina wasn't a 2-7 day spawn on Live, 99% sure Vessel wasn't either, so people didn't have to wait as long to get their kills. There's also the issue you
mentioned, there weren't as many 50+ Enchanters.

It should get easier once Verina is fixed, but it will forever be a shitshow I'm sure.

Torik
07-25-2018, 04:01 PM
After losing VT during an EQ, I decided to camp a level 1 at her spawn 24/7, set up some GINA triggers, and set my speakers to max volume. I got lucky, and happened to be home doing yardwork when I heard the alarm. I ran inside and was able to pick her off after another enchanter wiped.

I did the same thing for VD, only this time he popped at 11:30 p.m. when I was sleeping and I woke to the alarm. I got him uncontested.

When I was home I would check my laptop from time to time and I was surprised that most of the time neither spawn was camped. People would log in, stick around for a few minutes, and then log out. Sometimes people would sock for several hours, but this was rare.

The GINA triggers make it a passive camp, so if you don't mind "not playing" for 2-3 weeks or so, this method is for you.

Baylan295
07-25-2018, 04:06 PM
I don't have the time to look them up at the moment, but there are several old Casters Realm posts from 2001 that say creating level 1's and multiple people sitting at the spawn was common practice even back then. Iirc one post specifically said it was mostly a problem on the "old" servers that had been around since launch, not as much on the newer servers.

The problem is Verina wasn't a 2-7 day spawn on Live, 99% sure Vessel wasn't either, so people didn't have to wait as long to get their kills. There's also the issue you

It should get easier once Verina is fixed, but it will forever be a shitshow I'm sure.

Nilbog has indicated VT will move to a 2-4 day spawn in the next patch. I am working on vessel, but the evidence of his spawn time is more sparse. That being said, Vessel sometimes sits up for hours and is IMO, less contested than VT.

skarlorn
07-25-2018, 04:50 PM
no one likes speed of shissar anyway

Rygar
07-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Was so hard to find good enchanters on live, so that is part of the problem. Just having the wiki and knowing exact facts (not speculation) of how mob spawns work here is a big plus.

Add to the fact that uber guilds like, actually crawled ST / ToV (i.e. didn't log in for 4 mins for a zone line pull then go back to camping epic mobs) and that frees up the camps some.

Phenyo
07-25-2018, 05:04 PM

This

Baylan295
07-25-2018, 05:33 PM

Anyone who is not wearing a 40-41% haste item should always be asking for SoS over VoG.

Also, if you have ever been the only enchanter recovering after a partial or complete wipe, you know the value of SoS.

Plus BiS stats (the only thing even arguable is the Fesh stick, IMO, and that takes incredible gear in other places to be able to justify).

Trelaboon
07-25-2018, 05:40 PM

Not untrue, but it’s awesome for hasting charmed pets while soloing and it’s stats are awesome

Foxplay
07-25-2018, 06:34 PM
The main problem with the Enchanter epic is that the class is one of the funnest classes to play and a great solo class. So temporarily shelving it to poopsock VT and VD is more painful

ZiggyTheMuss
07-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Not untrue, but it’s awesome for hasting charmed pets while soloing and it’s stats are awesome

Literally the only reason I want chanter epic, and I really don’t want it that badly due to the aforementioned sockfest.

Phenyo
07-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Anyone who is not wearing a 40-41% haste item should always be asking for SoS over VoG.

Also, if you have ever been the only enchanter recovering after a partial or complete wipe, you know the value of SoS.

Plus BiS stats (the only thing even arguable is the Fesh stick, IMO, and that takes incredible gear in other places to be able to justify).

VoG has ATK

Baylan295
07-25-2018, 09:42 PM
VoG has ATK

Yes, that 2% increase in damage from the 20 increased attack is totally worth sacrificing 5% extra damage from maxing out haste. That makes sense.

There are good reasons for VoG for non max-hasted toons, but it isn’t attack. (Dex for procs, anyone?)

Lojik
07-25-2018, 10:07 PM
Biggest problem is 9 year old server(6 or 7 of kunark) has backlogs of enchanters wanting epics. This time period on live was like 1.5 years

trite
07-25-2018, 10:15 PM
it wasn't but if you can't get it here, you aren't good enough, also they are making it easier for cry babies like you on the next patch. This should be in rants and flames

trite
07-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Biggest problem is 9 year old server(6 or 7 of kunark) has backlogs of enchanters wanting epics. This time period on live was like 1.5 years

There aren't backlogs of competent enchanters, anyone who really wants this can get it. If you don't have the time or wherewithal you aren't hardcore enough. Absolutely everyone who has an enchanter alt, that i know at least, was able to do this because they weren't dumb about how they did it.

trite
07-25-2018, 10:21 PM
People talking about do you want 100% haste or not forget that SoS isn't even the best enc haste spell, wonderous rapidity is like 70% with SoS being 66%...its sole purpose is to cast haste quickly and conveniently during raid recovery (and for people with crummy haste items too, since WR only lasts 18mins, takes a spell slot and costs a bunch of mana) (VoG + AQ + SoS don't care what you ask for during a raid, you'll get it).... 15cha item with that HP though is best in slot for enchanters when you don't need the regen....

epic, staff of the silent star, zlandicar's heart...those are the options in your primary hand at the end game......do you have any of those?!?!?

trite
07-25-2018, 10:32 PM
try being a magician or a warrior whose guild has bigger frish to fry than severilous/hoshkar....impossible to get epics in those circumstances...the hardest parts of the enchanter epic can be soloed

Swish2
07-25-2018, 10:38 PM
Met a guy while on my enchanter the other day who said it took them 3.5 years to finish theirs...more casually of course.

Twochain
07-25-2018, 10:50 PM
I conceded that my enchanter would never get his epic, and my first DKP purchase w/ Aftermath was a Z-Heart for him. I was content with that. For recharms, I would just quickly swap in my rod, wait for it to land, then swap out. EZpZ

However, sometime last summer, the server went down at like 4am, came back up to a full repop. Our guild was suspended.. and the cavalry arrived quick af. I got all three poopsock pieces in something like 15-20 minutes. (Love u forever brana/fife/orgot)

That being said, Z-Heart is BiS.

Troxx
07-26-2018, 06:46 AM

This.

On live there was a fairly decent tempo of new expansions/content. The game is also old and everything is known (to include tricks most didn’t know about). Stagnation/Age hurts this issue for a bunch of reasons:

-Population: a majority of the population did not have a single level 60 toon when Velious went live. Even during luclin, most of a guild’s raid force was not level 60 unless you were in the top two guilds per server. I distinctly remember raiding velious (during luclin) and lesser luclin targets where our guild had a handful of 60s with the majority of people fielding toons from 46-56. These were dedicated mains, mind you. Classic timeline content was released frequently enough that you didn’t find the dynamic we have on p99 where we have an extreme glut of level 60s - many of which who have multiple 60s. People had alts, sure, but few had multiple high level toons (much less multiple 60s)

-Content: the elites raided kunark during kunark, moved to velious during velious, luclin during luclin (etc) and rarely looked back. As expansions marched on the more casuals had older content more to themselves. The big boys had more lucrative content to spend time on. P99 stops at velious. The content that makes epics etc more obsolete won’t exist here, thus they’re still worth chasing down. The elites who get their BiS now gear out alts ... because honestly what else is there to do? On live you never had BiS velious toons camping/farming/socking fear, hate, trak, etc. Even for elite guilds only a few members had BiS gear all over before the next expansion hit.

Economy: this really doesn’t need an explanation. MQ sales and classic/kunark gear still hold good value on a server that’s not going further. Those umpteen alts people have need twinking dontchaknow.

Information: guides are everywhere. Nothing is secret. The majority of players on live weren’t “in the know”. Even those “in the know” didn’t know a fraction of what a quick p99 wiki search will yield.

Play style: on p99 we like to train NToV to the zone line. Crawling took time and clearing to dragons would occupy a lot of time. Raiding for the top guilds on this server takes a lot less time other than staring at walls and watching track. Furthermore, we like to dump clickies on incoming to secure Aggro. Members carry complete heal clickies. This and more trivialize the encounters and make the practice of raiding less risky and time consuming, freeing up the folks to wander around looking for other things to do. Oh and those clickies? They cost money to recharge for the guild, so the guild needs a steady flow of cash - financed through farming old content to include Epic MQs.

Phenyo
07-26-2018, 08:27 AM
The epic is trivial to complete if you want to, even at this point on a forever velious box. Infact its even easier to complete now with simulated repops and soon to be fix of the windows. Age of the server is irrelevant and top end guilds certainly arnt going out of their way to sell kindle/sissar loot right to fund clickie recharges.

maskedmelonpai
07-26-2018, 08:40 AM

this what I was gonna say. kinda sad that you put in all that work and nobody really want you clicks. i always feel gimpy on the odd occasion that I ask for VoG an i get a shitty click instead :c

kjs86z
07-26-2018, 09:07 AM
this what I was gonna say. kinda sad that you put in all that work and nobody really want you clicks. i always feel gimpy on the odd occasion that I ask for VoG an i get a shitty click instead :c

The stats alone are juicy enough to warrant the effort.

Easier said than done, though....I'm pretty confident I'll never do it myself (filthy casual here).

I'm having more than enough difficulty with the VP key quest. I'll be happy if someday I'm lucky enough to win a Shissar Focus Staff (https://wiki.project1999.com/Shissar_Focus_Staff).

Para99
07-26-2018, 10:49 AM
Even in the 2001 posts Enchanters were pissed about the effect for all the effort it took since even mobs like Kindle and The Tangrin were a 2-3 group affair. Diku's guide says it was instant-cast in 2001 which would make up for the subpar effect, but the evidence supporting that is limited.

Rainik Stormseeker
07-26-2018, 11:46 AM

^ This. gets your deeps up and running for free/sooner; I'm not sure why so many don't see this benefit of SoS... it's akin to click-stick battle rezzes.

Trelaboon
07-26-2018, 04:21 PM
try being a magician or a warrior whose guild has bigger frish to fry than severilous/hoshkar....impossible to get epics in those circumstances...the hardest parts of the enchanter epic can be soloed

AM kills Hoshkar like every single week lol

Throndor
07-26-2018, 06:25 PM
You should see the number of complaints that these respawn bottlenecks have on TLP servers, where every other class except for Enchanter and SK has had revisions to the bottlenecks conducted to make it possible for more epics/week.

SK epic is even worse, with Marl despawning for several days on each turn in, and you need to turn in to him TWICE throughout the epic. Its created a whole slew of macroquesters with auto clicking turn in scripts, and he's generally despawned from a turn in before the game even renders him while the epic is in era (kunark-Luclin).

Tecmos Deception
07-26-2018, 07:27 PM

2-4 days only makes it 50% less retarded than it is right now. And it's incredibly goddamn retarded right now.

Swish2
07-26-2018, 10:21 PM
You should see the number of complaints that these respawn bottlenecks have on TLP servers, where every other class except for Enchanter and SK has had revisions to the bottlenecks conducted to make it possible for more epics/week.

SK epic is even worse, with Marl despawning for several days on each turn in, and you need to turn in to him TWICE throughout the epic. Its created a whole slew of macroquesters with auto clicking turn in scripts, and he's generally despawned from a turn in before the game even renders him while the epic is in era (kunark-Luclin).

Bless the TLP servers, glad that shit gets policed here.