PDA

View Full Version : The Translocators and Us

Virtuosos
02-16-2010, 02:40 AM
This is a post that will explain the translocators and their role in Live EQ as compared to now. There is a poll in the poll section that discussed this, but that thread has died.

The Role: Translocators are, in essence, teleporters who were put in place because of glitchy boats. They are to assist you in your travels across the Ocean of Tears to either Freeport or Butcherblock.

The Past: In classic, they were contiunally up when boats did not work.

The Present: Translocators are up on a odd time-spawn, 10 minutes or so for each place (BB, OOT, FP) but i have noticed something. When BB spawns, it spawns 2 minutes AFTER the oot one has spawned, placing you at a rough 18minute wait just to get to the other side. That is assuming these things are, indeed, a true 10minute wait. I have been know to waste as long as 26 minutes waiting to get from FP to BB.

The Waste: I understand the goal of this server, i really do. I am a huge advocate of it as it has given me a flood of flashbacks. But this issue with translocators has ruined half the fun this game is. I utterly dread having to use them because of the outrageous wait. The boats were placed in the game as a fun thing, the travel time was not an issue because it was enjoyable + it was INSTANT from OOT. You didnt have to wait for another boat to arrive, you just kept on the same boat. Now, the translocators are to replace boats in the same regard (simulate the boat wait-time for the real classic feel) but they dont.

The Solution: I am not asking for translocators that are spawned 100% of the time, I am not asking for you to fix the boats when in all honestly that would require a hell of a lot of work that can be spent on fixing other bugs/details. What I AM asking for though, is for a simple 100% spawned Translocator on OOT so it would atleast simulate what the boats did, as in a breif stop in OOT and then we contiuned our journey.

It just seems like this is an extremely needless timewaste that makes traveling horrendous as a non-porting class and it doesnt even reflect Live as this server is intending on doing. I have a hard enough time trying to keep my armor upgraded, I cant exactly afford buying ports or even relying on a druid to always be handy to teleport me.

So i implore you, the GM and developers, to think about this annoying problem. This Translocator thing is just ridiculous, i spend more time trying to get from one place to another than actually training. I dont want things put on easy mode, i dont want this to turn into WoW, I am just suggesting a patch that makes this server even closer to the LIVE experience than it is now. I do not think I am asking for anything too extreme, too different (hell, as I already stated its not different at all...Live had the trans spawned 100% of the time anyways) or too radical. So please, look into this,

Salty
02-16-2010, 03:24 AM
Blame Aeolwind~

drplump
02-16-2010, 03:42 AM
They offered to make the translocators give a choice of each of the 3 places but make each of them a 26 min spawn time. The other problem is that if there is constantly a translocator up then OOT has a zoneline which is not classic at all. Your proposal brings the travel time down to half of what it was in live.

Virtuosos
02-16-2010, 03:48 AM
It was okay being 20minutes long in live because it was enjoyable, you werent aimlessly sitting on a dock, you were on a moving boat with the chance of getting killed + being able to enjoy the view. Since that is no longer in effect, it is stupid to keep it a 30minute wait.

And a simple fix for the OOT zone line is :: Cant teleport while in combat. Keep the other 2 zones (BBM and FP) on that 10minute wait, make OOT constantly up, but cant teleport in combat.

Problem solved

Lich
02-16-2010, 05:01 AM
The main concern I have is that Evil characters spawn in front of a KoS mob. This is not classic. In classic you could just stay on the Boat and not get aggro. I suggest moving the KoS mobs further away or make the translocators permanent again. I do not care if someone uses the translocator to escape death or not.

JinXed
02-16-2010, 08:09 AM
You can use translocator while invis.

Atern
02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
True, but I think the point is that you shouldn't have to invis to use them. Especially since by the time the translocator spawns in OOT or Erud's Crossing, invis will have most likely faded.

Gwence
02-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Translocators ruins half the game for you? Half of your game experience is invested in traveling from Butcher to EFP or vice versa?

Takes about 30 seconds max to find a port usually. Problem solved?

Kaylen
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
The problem though as I see it, is that I don't necessarily see "The Wait" as the enjoyable part of travel in Classic Everquest. "The Fun" was the entire experience of seeing the boat arrive, hopping aboard, and then riding it all the way to the other continent with a few other travelers running around with you on the boat.

But without the boats, "The Wait" is supposed to simulate this fun, which in a way It does as you have multiple players sitting around waiting at the docks themselves. But its hardly the same thing.

Personally I wouldnt mind either to have faster Translocators. Ideally the boats could be fixed but that may never happen. But ultimately its not a huge problem either way. I just think that the tediousness of "The Wait" was justified in classic as it became an adventure in itself to ride the boat across the seemingly endess ocean.

Danth
02-16-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree with the note about evil characters. They shouldn't have to put up with the KOS mobs at the port location when there was no such concern in classic.

I also consider leaving the OOT (and by extention, Eruds crossing) porters up much more frequently a great suggestion; if not 100%, then perhaps leave them on a 2-3 min timer to simulate the ship's stop at the isle.

Danth

Kreigore
02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
This was a huge annoyance when I was level 15-25 as an evil race. I couldn't invis myself, but I learned the hard way - I bought Cloudy Potions - after getting owned more than once.

I died, I believe, twice while using the translocators purely because the translocator spawn point put me within aggro radius of an NPC.

I remember a bard in my group who was also making the run, using Selo's to help me run around Sister Island until a high level came and killed the named sister hell bent on running me through.

As you become higher level, it's not a problem. Normally, when I'm in a group or looking for a group, a druid or wizard will be more than happy to pick me (and other non-porting characters) up somewhere. If there isn't already a druid or wizard in the group, I'm left to my own devices. If that happens, platinum talks.

Basically, as Salty put it so eloquently, blame Aeolwind. <3

drplump
02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I have a good idea for a compromise I will speak on behalf of the porters.

-Keep spawn time as is in all locations or add slight variance if there isn't already but make them stay up twice as long.
-Move OOT zone in point and add the 2nd zone in point like in classic with another tranlocator making 2 in this zone but on opposite sides.
-All translocators will offer to port you to all 3 locations.
-ADD A DAMN KEYWORD FOR EACH ZONE (BB, OOT, FP)

Optional:
-A full trip (skipping OOT) cost XXpp based on level if you do not have it on you then you end up in OOT.

This ends up with slightly shorter travel time then in classic (1/2) but doesn't help a guild mobilize for a RAID target if they don't have enough porters.

Qi0
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
The problem though as I see it, is that I don't necessarily see "The Wait" as the enjoyable part of travel in Classic Everquest. "The Fun" was the entire experience of seeing the boat arrive, hopping aboard, and then riding it all the way to the other continent with a few other travelers running around with you on the boat.

I agree with this completely.

And maybe I played EQ for too long, but translocators almost seem like they were in place as often as the boats were, anyway. It seems much more 'Classic' to me to say: "Hey guys, we're having some issues with the boats. Until we get them resolved, translocators will be in place 24/7 to port you where you need to go."

Imagine the uproar had EQLive ever timed the TLs like this in an effort to simulate the boating experience...

guineapig
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I was able to get my swimming skill up 26 points total while waiting for translocators in freeport and OOT last night. Yes, this is post swimming skill patch and my bard's int was at 87 or so.

Excision Rottun
02-16-2010, 11:30 AM
The Present: Translocators are up on a odd time-spawn, 10 minutes or so for each place (BB, OOT, FP) but i have noticed something. When BB spawns, it spawns 2 minutes AFTER the oot one has spawned, placing you at a rough 18minute wait just to get to the other side. That is assuming these things are, indeed, a true 10minute wait. I have been know to waste as long as 26 minutes waiting to get from FP to BB.

On Saturday, BB popped, ported me to OOT and OOT was up.

I waited a total of 5min at BB dock....don't see how that is unreasonable.

*Individual user experience may vary*

Virtuosos
02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Translocators ruins half the game for you? Half of your game experience is invested in traveling from Butcher to EFP or vice versa?

Its called an exageration, such as your "takes 30seconds max to find a port" comment. It does not, indeed, ruined half the game for me, more-so rather only part of the game. But, unfortunately, you focused on the wrong part of the post.

And yes, I have had that happen to me as well, Excision. But on such a low-frequency occurance that I felt it didnt really matter. One of those flukes ;)

But, and correct me if i am wrong, this post is going exactly the same way as the Poll. People support this idea or some variance of it so I see no reason to not fix it. It is, after all, extremely close to resembling Live.

One more thing. I do feel for the evil classes in the regard of being KOS on sister island. The least we could do would be to change the spawn point around to a different area. As pointed out in the Polls thread, placing a Static boat at the end of the docks, making the translocators spawn on there, would solve most problems with evil classes. I say this because when boats worked, evil classes had the choice to jump off before reaching port.

guineapig
02-16-2010, 01:47 PM

I waited a total of 5min at BB dock....don't see how that is unreasonable.

*Individual user experience may vary*

I have experienced this once or twice before as well, but that is the exception to the rule. Saying "I did this once, and it was fine" is hardly representative of the issue. Posting something like that just to try and discredit the discussion is not helping anyone.

nalkin
02-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I have experienced this once or twice before as well, but that is the exception to the rule. Saying "I did this once, and it was fine" is hardly representative of the issue. Posting something like that just to try and discredit the discussion is not helping anyone.

there exists A -> for all A. Didn't you know this is a logically valid argument? ;)

When I traveled around at lower levels I found the TLs to be really annoying. I still use them some times. It seems like everytime I port to OOT from BB or EFP I just miss the OOT TL and end up having to wait the full duration.

I think its a perfectly reasonable suggestion to have this fixed. Would it not be simple to just have the OOT TL spawn a couple minutes after the BB one and the EFP one. Put the BB and EFP on the same timer, and have the OOT spawn a couple minutes after that.

Malrubius
02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Would it not be simple to just have the OOT TL spawn a couple minutes after the BB one and the EFP one. Put the BB and EFP on the same timer, and have the OOT spawn a couple minutes after that.

That sounds like a good idea. For the folks "just passing through" OOT, they only have ONE potentially long wait for a "boat" (in FP or in BB) - just like classic.

The people leaving OOT still have to wait for a "boat" (potentially a long time) just like the people leaving FP or BB did.

Making the OOT translocator pop 2-3 minutes after the FP/BB translocators (instead of directly after) would partially simulate the boat trip delay you would have had in classic.

The Situation
02-16-2010, 03:28 PM

I waited a total of 5min at BB dock....don't see how that is unreasonable

Shut up. Both of you are morons.

Virtuosos
02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Mal that sounds like a good compromise and i support that fully (as long as it works lol).

So can we please hear from a developer or GM about this? Whether or not it would be do-able or why we wouldnt do it to begin with?

Excision Rottun
02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Shut up. Both of you are morons.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVI5W8Eg3Gs/SI8lYL-M6jI/AAAAAAAAABE/hJEyACF7rNQ/s320/YouMad.jpg

Gwence
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Well done "The Situation" that was a well thought out post. Im gonna go ahead and award you 50 Internet Cool Points because obviously you're a total fucking badass.

The Situation
02-16-2010, 05:59 PM
*takes Internet Cool points and leaves thread after a job well done*

Aeolwind
02-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Sadly folks, this will stay this way till I get down to it on my list of shit to do. Fixing timers and global variables for 2 days to exactly simulate boat travel is a notch below getting day/night to work and fixing. Fix 1 problem, vs fixing 6. I have to pick my battles. :(.

Zarniwooop
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
I agree the boat implementation is both incorrectly mirroring classic and stupid.

drplump
02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
It takes literally 30 seconds to memorize a ring spell can cast it. Whats the big deal guys?

Virtuosos
02-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Thank you Aeol for reply. Atleast I have gotten your attention which will eventually lead to a small fix whenever it comes up on the list (or hopefully you get ticked off at the other problems and go for something that is easy in comparison :p)

Sirelk
02-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Sadly folks, this will stay this way till I get down to it on my list of shit to do. Fixing timers and global variables for 2 days to exactly simulate boat travel is a notch below getting day/night to work and fixing. Fix 1 problem, vs fixing 6. I have to pick my battles. :(.

How about just moving the translocator spawn point (and zone in spot) in OOT further from Sister Isle so evils don't get whipped by the kos sistahs?

Aeolwind
02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
How about just moving the translocator spawn point (and zone in spot) in OOT further from Sister Isle so evils don't get whipped by the kos sistahs?

I was under the impression the Sisters had all been moved to a safe distance for the port in?

guineapig
02-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I was under the impression the Sisters had all been moved to a safe distance for the port in?

In OOT you currently spawn with one of the sisters almost directly on top of you.

Malrubius
02-17-2010, 06:26 PM
In OOT you currently spawn with one of the sisters almost directly on top of you.

Heh, cool.

Virtuosos
02-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Sounds like a blast actually >.<

But yes, you spawn in OOT at the end of the dock (land side) which is where a sister is almost always at.

-pushes Aeol to change OOT translocator's time while fixing the spawn point-

-nudge nudge-

:$

HarmoniumGuard
02-17-2010, 11:50 PM
I agree that they should be altered a bit. I mean, Translocators weren't classic anyway, so if we can't fix them, why make it so hard for our evil friends?

Tristin
02-19-2010, 03:38 AM

Karsten?

Brut
02-19-2010, 04:23 AM
True, a sad sight few weeks back to see alot of ogre corpses at Freeport docks... Then at sister island there were more of his corpses, one of which had his big fat axe on it. Poor thing tried so hard. :(

Kreigore
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I have to pick my battles. :(.

I tell my girlfriend the same thing, but she never listens.

Excision Rottun
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I tell my girlfriend the same thing, but she never listens.

Beat her with a sack of Sweet Valencia Oranges, won't leave a bruise but it will let her know who's boss.

yt2005
02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Can we at least be given something to do while we wait? Maybe we can hail an NPC nearby and they tell us jokes or trivia or riddles or something.

Yes, I demand this in-game. Don't even think about suggesting that I just go on the internet or something.

stormlord
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Can we at least be given something to do while we wait? Maybe we can hail an NPC nearby and they tell us jokes or trivia or riddles or something.

Yes, I demand this in-game. Don't even think about suggesting that I just go on the internet or something.

But but ...... (wait for it) ...... that's not classic!!!!!!!

Lol. Isn't that what they says?

What I did back then was fish and craft while watching for "/shout boat!"

Honestly, there should be lots of things to do, like gambling and contests.

But ...... that's not classic!!!!!!! (that's what they says isn't it)

The least that could be done, while staying within the limits of "classic," is to hire a guide to run a series of gambling or contest events 24 hours around the clock at the port(s) to give people who're waiting some kind of entertainment. It's not too much to task a few people to do that. In my warped opinion - i'm so warped I live in multiple universes. It would need to be well organized, not winged or on the fly. The funnest events/games are planned or designed beforehand to establish continuity and fairness. Perhaps players could be rewarded for directing these events by granting them platinum. You remember getting a free lunch at school if you worked for half an hour washing the trays of the 4th, 5th and 6th graders? That might be too much to ask, but come on, something like this could work.

People need to remember that back then our mind was not on kunark or velious coming out in the "near" future. The future was not written yet. The atmosphere was more relaxed in tone. It's different now because people know what to expect, so things are a lot more rushed. My advice is to simmer down and not get so caught up in the grind. Take a break from it. Events like this can help us to remember it's just a game, and that we need to be diverse characters in order to fully exercise our free time.

We're people when you remove the hitpoints and armor class and level. People need more than just a grind.

Excision Rottun
02-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Can we at least be given something to do while we wait?

/gems

Virtuosos
02-25-2010, 05:47 PM
fishing, /gems, trying to ride the Siren's Bane....

any number of fun activities!

redghosthunter
02-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Do away with the Translators :)

Give us da Boats whohooooo

Ferok
03-20-2010, 12:06 PM
I dont mind the wait, but im tired of getting killed by Tegea Prendyn on my way from Freeport to butcherblock. Can we move the transport spot to the end of the dock or move her spawn back a little bit?

Totally impossible for a low level evil character to go across without invis.

mitic
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM
make them TL permanent, the server is already classic enuf

celicara29
03-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Look at all the crying over something so inane as a wait on a translocator.

Back in the day you sat around and waited on the buggy ass boat to roll through, you'd hop on, and off you went. It was really buggy though, and you stood a good chance of dying to some random bullshit. I myself sat on the boat and got tossed -10k under the world or some such large number where a GM had to get my corpse. Then the boat docked and somebody might be nice enough to have brought pirates to the docks.

The boats sucked too, I'm sorry. Sure it'd be nice to have TL up all the time so the trip without a port from FP > faydwer is quicker, but that isn't the point of the TL's being there. Alt-tab and browse the forums, it's not that hard. It's not like you don't spend half the game sitting and waiting on something as it is.

mixxit
04-03-2010, 11:50 AM
any chance we can use the models from the burning sea somehow? they always seemed to work but the old ones used to make you fall through

speaking of that - what is the current model id of sirens bane? it looks like a human when im at the the docks!

mixxit
04-03-2010, 11:54 AM
also - when you get on the boat and it transports you to the next zone - why not have a stationary boat that you appear on that never moves and have another boat come along side it that you can climb on?

doesnt give the simulation of just using one boat but it would still work for the timing problem

Virtuosos
04-03-2010, 02:22 PM
ive gotten past the point of caring...no longer use them unless i wanna go to OOT...

I RETRACT MY OP

:p

jk...still be nice to see something done about this