PDA

View Full Version : The clang

Varren
08-12-2018, 10:39 PM
So I was pulling below the betrayer tunnel today in Chardok when I threw a shuriken at a monster. Glancing back around the corner, I had no aggro. I scrolled up at my combat spam, and saw that instead of hitting the monster, I had hit "The clang"

Anyone ever seen this before?

https://i.imgur.com/KI986y0.png

FungusTrooper
08-12-2018, 10:48 PM
https://eq.magelo.com/npc/450630

Weird!

Varren
08-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Yes, very strange. Got no death message and had no aggro from it. The screenshot was where I threw the shuriken

Foxplay
08-13-2018, 12:57 AM
Not a EQ dev or anything but if I had to take a random guess I'd say "the clang" is the name of a completely invisible (gm invis) npc that does no action other than make environmental emotes when players are nearby. And other environment emotes also have similar (hidden) NPCs to emote said messages, just for some reason or another they gave this one a name

That or "the clang" is just the sound when a monk fails and hits the wall with a throwing star

Arkanjil
08-13-2018, 01:03 AM
EQ still throwing surprises at us all these years later! :eek:

Bummey
08-13-2018, 01:27 AM
I've found some weird invisible NPCs like that when pet tracking that I've never seen on real track before.

Jimjam
08-13-2018, 01:46 AM
There is an invisible, but targetable, npc in Trakanon's Teeth where the river flows from the Swamp of No Hope spring/cave.

Some of these you can even practice skills on.

Slave35
08-13-2018, 03:39 AM
Taunty

knottyb0y
08-13-2018, 08:27 AM
When you think you've seen it all!

I know ranged weapons will hit whatever is in the way between you and the target. So as previously stated some invisible npc must be in that room.

Crazy rare and cool!

Supaskillz
08-13-2018, 02:57 PM
When you think you've seen it all!

I know ranged weapons will hit whatever is in the way between you and the target. So as previously stated some invisible npc must be in that room.

Crazy rare and cool!

did not realize this. if I shoot at a rat with a bow, but a guard is between us will the guard kill me?

knottyb0y
08-13-2018, 03:11 PM
did not realize this. if I shoot at a rat with a bow, but a guard is between us will the guard kill me?

Definitely happens. For example my alt ranger was pulling a scarab in NRO when a dune tarantula walked in between us. Even without the tarantula on my target my arrow hit him, and he aggro'd me.

I think it's more common to see this in higher range weapons because more time in between shot and hit. This can happen to any ranged weapon.

Phenyo
08-13-2018, 03:17 PM
this is neat

7thGate
08-16-2018, 11:03 AM
We had a very interesting fight for ALS' first ring 9 where we fought Juliah with the council beginning to come into session. Our ranger was trueshotting her and accidentally shot one of the other councilors that walked into the line of fire. He got instantly murdered by the entire coldain council.

We didn't realize she ran, and with our snarer dead no one got off a root before she ran down the well to the tunnels beneath icewell keep. We all had to jump down after her and fight everything at the bottom while she glitched up and down all over the place.

Ivory
08-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Welp....only one thing rational people can do at a time like this....

Embrace this new race of ancient formless gods!!!! A new cult shall be born to worship the great watchers of Norrath!!!! Wululu!!!

Moerne
08-16-2018, 11:23 AM
I remember something broke on live way back when and there were basic human male models standing around in places like EK with names like !TheGround. I had a screen shot of one of them on an old computer. I assume it's for when you fall to your death and get the message about the ground hitting you for X damage.

Notwotwo
08-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Wow, very interesting. Did you tried to throw another shuriken ?

Brut
08-17-2018, 12:45 AM
Was expecting Berserk memes.

isiah
08-17-2018, 12:53 AM
Was expecting Berserk memes.

/wave Brut

enjchanter
08-17-2018, 01:17 AM
ever been in velks and done a /pet attack the ?

"attacking the walls, Master"

Vizax_Xaziv
08-17-2018, 01:35 AM
"The clang" huh? Sounds like some kinda Sarnak STD!

Varren
08-17-2018, 01:49 AM
Wow, very interesting. Did you tried to throw another shuriken ?

I turned around, snapped a photograph, then chucked another shuriken, this time directly into the face of the sarnak templar. I’ve been thinking about going down and attempting to discover the exact location of The clang. I wonder how many hps The clang has, and what fate might befall the city, and me, if I engage in battle with this mysterious creature.

Pyrocat
08-17-2018, 03:56 AM
"The clang" huh? Sounds like some kinda Sarnak STD!

Those lonely Chardok nights can lead to interspecies copulation. Remember kids, always cast resist disease ahead of time!