PDA

View Full Version : Paladin solo guide coming...(soon)

White_knight
08-17-2018, 08:45 PM
I've returned to a project I started on blue99 awhile back in prep. training for Pantheon (for when it get's released, i.e slow casual xp grinds ). I've been soloing ( about 90%) a paladin from 1-60 on blue for awhile now when I have time to play. He's currently level 52.

I released a few video's last year and had some good feedback from people in game who watched them and sent me some tells with questions etc. I've leveled this character primarily thru spurts of solo play spanning 30mins to 2hrs.

I am working on stringing together a guide for Paladin's as they have a very bad rep in classic EQ (mostly from bad Paladin players who don't understand the methodology of a Paladin in EQ) and because their role isn't understood or people fixate too much on crunching numbers and slaying dragons in 0.5 seconds.

I'll be showing some of the best spots that I've found that work for Paladins leveling 1-52 solo and with minimal gear ( you can level 1-60 with literally a few 1,000 plat worth of gear). I was in Crustacean armor until about level 47/48 w/ no haste item and a Baton of Faith until Braknar's event last year where I managed to snag 2x items and sold them to fund my new armor set.

Keep an eye out for the guide and hopefully some people will enjoy it.

Enjoy a little sneak peak of the Lower Guk adventure:
https://youtu.be/9cNwWVXnx9Y

Karok
08-18-2018, 08:56 PM
That’s cool, how do you put dmg above your health bar and targets?

Cyph
08-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Ohh, looking forward to this :)

White_knight
08-19-2018, 12:11 AM

create separate chat windows, isolate the damage take, and damage given components, size text up, add color to them in options and then size the chat windows down to suit and lock them in place.

zarvox
08-19-2018, 01:16 AM
Looking forward to this. I made a paladin not to long ago.

Lore and Magic
08-19-2018, 11:37 AM
When is weapon damage bonus going in? Anyone know?

Bummey
08-19-2018, 01:39 PM

Those look like shrinky dinked chat windows with full transparency, recolored text, and hitsmode filters.

Karok
08-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Got it, works well

White_knight
08-26-2018, 08:20 AM
New Paladin solo vid up: https://youtu.be/ZVIS6Uxyrm0

Dinging 53 in KC. Finished off the level soloin. I had grouped twice in KC to break up the run of the mill day so some of this exp. was earned in groups. Mixed in a bit of Archey between helm heals. My bow and archery skill sucks so didnt hit much but seems like an "okay" addition to dps (right?)

KC was rough soloing at 52 - I feel it's a 55+ solo zone for a solo 22% hasted Paladin.

Foxplay
08-26-2018, 08:35 AM
New Paladin solo vid up: https://youtu.be/ZVIS6Uxyrm0

Dinging 53 in KC. Finished off the level soloin. I had grouped twice in KC to break up the run of the mill day so some of this exp. was earned in groups. Mixed in a bit of Archey between helm heals. My bow and archery skill sucks so didnt hit much but seems like an "okay" addition to dps (right?)

KC was rough soloing at 52 - I feel it's a 55+ solo zone for a solo 22% hasted Paladin.

The struggle is real... epic and fungi at 53 and still have to jump thru hoops it seems

Bravo thou, talk about patience and persistence with the root / helm work

Anderdale
08-26-2018, 12:02 PM
The struggle is real... epic and fungi at 53 and still have to jump thru hoops it seems

Bravo thou, talk about patience and persistence with the root / helm work

I thought he's doing this without epic and fungi? I figured that was a soul fire.

Foxplay
08-26-2018, 12:04 PM
I thought he's doing this without epic and fungi? I figured that was a soul fire.

soulfire still has a physical sword blade with flames moving up it

Paladin epic is nothing but fire (no physical blade)

Anderdale
08-26-2018, 12:16 PM
soulfire still has a physical sword blade with flames moving up it

Paladin epic is nothing but fire (no physical blade)

Ouch that sucks then.

Is sk dps this slow if not taking into account the pet?

Foxplay
08-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Ouch that sucks then.

I don't have a SK so I don't know what to expect given similar gear (epic / fungi) in terms of DPS

But in general SK is a lot stronger solo than Paladin... SK can convert mana to damage with DoT's, and can Fearkite with snare / fear - which provided you have the area to do so is a lot more efficient than tanking and healing. SK will kill a lot faster if they use DoT's but I'm not sure if SK's really use their DoT's every npc while soloing of if they save mana to be only used for snare's / fears

Doctor Jeff
08-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Just so you know, none of the three paladin discs actually function

Ankou
08-26-2018, 04:51 PM
I don't have a SK so I don't know what to expect given similar gear (epic / fungi) in terms of DPS

But in general SK is a lot stronger solo than Paladin... SK can convert mana to damage with DoT's, and can Fearkite with snare / fear - which provided you have the area to do so is a lot more efficient than tanking and healing. SK will kill a lot faster if they use DoT's but I'm not sure if SK's really use their DoT's every npc while soloing of if they save mana to be only used for snare's / fears

I played an SK on live. Did a lot of soloing in various outdoor kunark zones to somewhere in the 50's. With the blood ember boots and gloves they can fear kite mana free, leaving all their mana to add faster dmg with dots or as reserve in case shit hits the fan. Long casts on clickies, but free is hard to beat.

skarlorn
08-26-2018, 04:53 PM
soon (tm)

White_knight
08-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Ouch that sucks then.

SKs solo better in open areas, and do more dps with pet and dots. In close quarter areas where kiting isnt an option then Paladin's solo better. (I.e tight dungeons)

KC wasnt really optimal at this level for Paladin solo; in LGUK I can straight kill (no healing in between) a blue con Zol knight

a drolvarg sentry - Level: 40-44 - Damage per hit: 34 - 129

Vrs

a zol knight - Level : 36-40 - Damage per hit: 14 - 72(approx)

I will come back when I am 55+ and see how easier it is in KC. Damage taken and hit rate(damage given) is vastly affected by level range therefore killing optimal mobs helps esp. where face tanking is your main source of dps.

If played right you dont need to med while Paladin soloing for atleast a good 60-90min stints which is another factor that needs to be considered if the player needs to med every 2nd or 3rd mob because they are oom. I can go 60-90 straight in guk without my bum hitting the floor once.

White_knight
08-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Sk epic is amazing for soloing esp. fear kiting. The hp life tap dot proc is ace.

Once I am done with this Paladin I will make an SK but I doubt I will get an epic due to the nature of the SK epic quest ( how hard it is )

Crede
08-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Fear kiting on a melee is like the worst type of leveling in EQ, I dunno why everyone boasts about it. Hit boxes are so fked up and there's nothing remotely enjoyable about following a mob around feared.

If your plan is to solo as a knight primarily, farm cash for a fungi on another char before creation. Otherwise just form some solid duos/trios.

bloodmuffin
08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Solo fear kiting on a SK is like the worst type of leveling in EQ.

Clicking boots every 5 swings isn't faster than face tanking with a paladin and clicking helm/healing. Done this a couple times soloing a paladin/sk with fungi and the works.

White_knight
08-26-2018, 10:21 PM
I think what alot of people forget is that EverQuest is ultimately a place for people to enjoy their time and roleplay (yes everyone does this by mere fact of choosing a class and race combo, roleplaying isnt exculusively talking in tongues and drinking beers at a dwarf tavern), and that is the beauty of EverQuest classic that it enables people to choose a class they enjoy.

Paladin's arent for everyone and people seek to compare them to Shadowknights (and vice versa) as the old good v evil cliche. But both classes have completely different methodologies resultant in the same end concept (as a group tank). All the tank classes struggle to solo, as EverQuest tends to favor casters for soloing/farming.

The point of my videos are NOT to create a debate about whats the quickest and whats the slowest paths etc, or if SKs are better or worse. They are simply to show people that you can level solo as a Paladin albiet at a pace that might take awhile longer.

This is a 20 year old game we all enjoy playing; we have all played the best solo class at some point, and the ease of life classes. However for me, this journey is about soloing as much as I can a Paladin to 60 in various places.

I have a 51 epic shaman but when I log in I prefer to play my Paladin even though Shaman soloing is extremely easy because there is more fun and more of a challenge in leveling my Paladin.

Next stop: The Hole, going to ding 54 there (avoiding Golems of course)

Raev
08-26-2018, 11:16 PM
I'm guessing you're going to have more and more problems as you approach 60 due to low damage output. 22% haste + 225 offensive skill caps + 140 HIE strength probably puts you at 20-30 dps. That's not so terrible against a L37 zol knight with 1500 HP, but it looks a lot worse against a L45 dar knight with 6000, let alone a L50 krup with 10000 (remember, EQ is really a frog slaying game). The fungi and epic will also be relatively weaker. I'd guess your fights will be in the 8-10 minute range.

SK seems to have a huge advantage over Paladin solo even in low space: the pet will double their damage and they can FD if they get in trouble. I'd guess that the kill rate probably isn't massively better since they'll have to med/regen up, but at least you aren't sitting there watching the DW hat cast time tick down for 10 minutes.

If you enjoy this, then more power to you, but to me a Paladin belongs in a PAL/CLR/ENC/MNK group chain pulling 4 mobs at a time. The extra stuns, roots, and heals mean you can keep multiple mobs in camp at all times and charm a high level pet in relative safety. If I ever roll a Paladin I'd be filling my friend list with good Enchanters. Well, any class wants to group with good Enchanters, but they will actually want to group with you once they realize they never die to charm breaks.

Oh, and just for comparison, my Monk solos Sirens in SG pretty consistently, although I do have to FD occasionally, especially if they have the stupid drum and disarm is being obnoxious. I'd guess a similarly geared SK (41% haste, Primal, NTOV 2H, 1400 AC) could do about as well. SKs seem hugely underrated to me. We need to get proc hate capped here (classic) and root NTOV bosses so that Knights have some semblance of a raid role!

Anderdale
08-26-2018, 11:40 PM
I apologize, I didn't mean to start a sk vs pal debate. I was thinking you were doing the KC trash with a soul fire and no fungi lol. So I was pretty impressed. I am still impressed though and you are 100% right... you can solo as a paladin and it looks fun for the most part.

White_knight
08-26-2018, 11:48 PM
LGUK dar knights are a jump from zol's that's for sure, but dars were easier than the KC entrance mobs.

Zol's hp go from 2300hp to dars 3600hp but the real big jump is the damage rate dar's do. Right now I would say a dar knight takes about 5-6mins to kill including healing up etc.

I think for the most part a Paladin will be restricted to classic and Kunark zones for their xp gains.

aaezil
08-27-2018, 12:03 AM
Soloing with the best xp grouping tank? That boy aint right.
(Its not SO bad with fungi but still its bad comared to an actual solo class)

White_knight
08-27-2018, 12:55 AM
So I went and tested LGUK for Zol and Dar knights now that I dinged 53 and the results were better than expected. I would wager a +/-1min on each kill to adjust for level changes in the mobs and RNG.

Tale of the Tape: Self buffed, recorded from engage till back to 100% health ( i,e healing back up ) and ready to take the next mob, w/ 22% haste, epic, and fungi.

Zol Knight: 3min51 seconds length of recording
https://youtu.be/OuQzm5BU6L4

Dar Knight: 5min20 seconds length of recording
https://youtu.be/Jz0DAGdBQnU

I apologize, I didn't mean to start a sk vs pal debate. I was thinking you were doing the KC trash with a soul fire and no fungi lol. So I was pretty impressed. I am still impressed though and you are 100% right... you can solo as a paladin and it looks fun for the most part.

No need to apologize you never said anything wrong?

Soloing with the best xp grouping tank? That boy aint right.
(Its not SO bad with fungi but still its bad comared to an actual solo class)

it's surprisingly fun, well the 20-51 was these last few levels ( including the grouping I have done ) have been a bit tedious!

turbosilk
08-27-2018, 06:51 AM
I've returned to a project I started on blue99 awhile back in prep. training for Pantheon (for when it get's released, i.e slow casual xp grinds ). I've been soloing ( about 90%) a paladin from 1-60 on blue for awhile now when I have time to play. He's currently level 52.

I released a few video's last year and had some good feedback from people in game who watched them and sent me some tells with questions etc. I've leveled this character primarily thru spurts of solo play spanning 30mins to 2hrs.

I am working on stringing together a guide for Paladin's as they have a very bad rep in classic EQ (mostly from bad Paladin players who don't understand the methodology of a Paladin in EQ) and because their role isn't understood or people fixate too much on crunching numbers and slaying dragons in 0.5 seconds.

I'll be showing some of the best spots that I've found that work for Paladins leveling 1-52 solo and with minimal gear ( you can level 1-60 with literally a few 1,000 plat worth of gear). I was in Crustacean armor until about level 47/48 w/ no haste item and a Baton of Faith until Braknar's event last year where I managed to snag 2x items and sold them to fund my new armor set.

Keep an eye out for the guide and hopefully some people will enjoy it.

Enjoy a little sneak peak of the Lower Guk adventure:
https://youtu.be/9cNwWVXnx9Y

A paladin grouping guide would be more beneficial to paladins and the server/server player health in general. WoW is the game to go to for soloing everything and not needing to interact with people.

ZiggyTheMuss
08-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Yeah I learned this the hard way when I played paly. Twinked him to the gills but he really started running out of steam in the 40s and 50s.

Crede
08-27-2018, 08:55 AM
SOLO GUIDE FOR MAYLAY CHARAKTURZ ON PEE NINE NINE

STEP 1- HAVE FUNGI
STEP 2- BIG BOY SWORD
STEP 3- POST TO BOARDS

/thread

Raev
08-27-2018, 11:14 AM
5min20 seconds length of recording . . . these last few levels (including the grouping I have done) have been a bit tedious!

NPC hitpoints generally double every 10 levels, but they quadruple between 35 and 45. Guk dar knights are only low 40s. Even a lava duct crawler will have 5000 and many of those are LB at 59. So as you level from 45 to 55 your prey is going through this huge HP expansion. Combine that with the huge XP mod increase in Kunark and the 55+ levels are really slow.

Pretty much everyone here realizes this, which is why group compositions are so optimized around charmed pets and epic pure melee (Troxx has convinced me that Mage and Necro are solid as well). Guess what tank is great for a charming Enchanter or Necro? The one that can stun their pet on breaks and heal them. Guess what tank is great for a Rogue? A Knight that lets them completely ignore the evade key. I still think Warriors are the ultimate tank for harder content once sufficiently geared up but for leveling you can't beat a Paladin. The whole point of EQ is to make friends and work together.

STEP 1- HAVE FUNGI
STEP 2- BIG BOY SWORD
STEP 3- POST TO BOARDS

Real OGs twink with primals and TOV weapons, but yeah.

Vheran
08-27-2018, 11:33 AM
A paladin grouping guide would be more beneficial to paladins and the server/server player health in general. WoW is the game to go to for soloing everything and not needing to interact with people.

good nerd gatekeeping griefer just make one then lol. this is interesting, and a contribution to the community. the guy solos mostly because he stated he doesn't get on for long binges. probably because he's not as mentally ill as most of the people here.

thank you OP for the videos, i think it's cool you not only are doing this but also with a HE

fiveeauxfour
08-27-2018, 11:51 AM
What UI are you using?

Elerial
08-27-2018, 12:54 PM
And here i thought there'd be a "paladin guide" from the ground up. Straight up soloing. Not at level 52 with the epic (how exactly you get that solo is beyond me) and a Fungi tunic (how you acquire that for measly 1000plat is as well unclear to me).

Schaduwridder
08-27-2018, 01:13 PM
hello I need shadownight guide for no equipment ogre fat and not smart

almost 20 plantium coins from farming bone chip but need weapon soon I journey to trade hub hope I see no tugards as I am big and slow and easy to get

White_knight
08-27-2018, 04:21 PM
And here i thought there'd be a "paladin guide" from the ground up. Straight up soloing. Not at level 52 with the epic (how exactly you get that solo is beyond me) and a Fungi tunic (how you acquire that for measly 1000plat is as well unclear to me).

The guide will be for sure, I have a project Paladin that will be used =)

- Fungi is on loan from a friend who doesnt play anymore/ she will come back when she bored of Agnarr.
- I used to play on red99 and years ago (this toon is probably 3.5 years old) I transfered some plat over to blue and bought MQs for the epic but didnt get to complete it till 50ish??
iirc:
BP MQ - 2k
Sword MQ - 3k
Soulfire MQ - 4k
Ghoulbane - 500pp?
Book of Scales - 8k

My guild at the time <Infernus> helped me kill the guard in Nek for the Shield, I then poop socked Miguel in the Frosty Peaks and they helped me kill him so I had the head and robes.

I then took a big break from the game came back finished leveling to 46, asked around for a guild who was doing sky for a tag along to do the turn in. Getsome (thank you) was up there one day and said he could help and they corpsed me up to do the turn in. I got the Fiery Avenger...but I think at the time I was 48 or 49 in com using a Velium 2hander 30-39??....then I had to wait till my guilds next fear raid that aligned with my times. I continued to level in CoM using the FA.

Then my time came: guild raid aligned, I was able to hand in and boom Fiery Defender was mine at late 49 or 50.

Braknar's event he did ahwile back resulted in me getting 2 rings which I sold for 7k each and invested most of that money in to buying better gear. Mainly a full set of Koada Armor (I have most bits).

So up untill 48? 49? I was wearing crusty armor and had a 30-39 2hs I believe with schw.

If I hand back my borrowed fungi I have 5k plat on my mule and probably in current value 10k of gear on plus my epic.

White_knight
08-28-2018, 06:19 AM
What UI are you using?

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304566

Its nice.

White_knight
08-28-2018, 06:43 AM
NPC hitpoints generally double every 10 levels, but they quadruple between 35 and 45. Guk dar knights are only low 40s. Even a lava duct crawler will have 5000 and many of those are LB at 59. So as you level from 45 to 55 your prey is going through this huge HP expansion. Combine that with the huge XP mod increase in Kunark and the 55+ levels are really slow.

Pretty much everyone here realizes this, which is why group compositions are so optimized around charmed pets and epic pure melee (Troxx has convinced me that Mage and Necro are solid as well). Guess what tank is great for a charming Enchanter or Necro? The one that can stun their pet on breaks and heal them. Guess what tank is great for a Rogue? A Knight that lets them completely ignore the evade key. I still think Warriors are the ultimate tank for harder content once sufficiently geared up but for leveling you can't beat a Paladin. The whole point of EQ is to make friends and work together.

Real OGs twink with primals and TOV weapons, but yeah.

Yes, all true.

My life doesnt allow me to play EverQuest all day, nor would I let my life be that so min-maxing fastest level trio, groups with optimal gear with NtoV and primal weapons and 1400 ac just wont happen in my life nor my guide.

Tonight I gained 4% xp killing a named ph and his guard while cooking dinner, eating dinner, and watching a show with ye olde partner (over the span of 3 hrs) I did that while afk for 50mins of every hour.

When I get 10 solid hours of free time over the weekend I shall group and raid to my little hearts content.

This is the type of person the guide is for.

Venjenz
08-28-2018, 12:26 PM
SOLO GUIDE FOR MAYLAY CHARAKTURZ ON PEE NINE NINE

STEP 1- HAVE FUNGI
STEP 2- BIG BOY SWORD
STEP 3- POST TO BOARDS
This.

Snaggles
08-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the vids! I’ve pretty much soloed my pally to 54 (25-35 HHk gobs). Grobb guards were good to me. Have considered going to Lguk but never spent much time there on live so was hesitant (olds dog/new tricks, etc). There are a few lvl 40 guards in Freeport that are still blue.

Solo as a pally isn’t easy but is methodically fun. Nothing happens too quickly which means I can get drunk and watch Netflix while grinding :p.

White_knight
08-29-2018, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the vids! I’ve pretty much soloed my pally to 54 (25-35 HHk gobs). Grobb guards were good to me. Have considered going to Lguk but never spent much time there on live so was hesitant (olds dog/new tricks, etc). There are a few lvl 40 guards in Freeport that are still blue.

Solo as a pally isn’t easy but is methodically fun. Nothing happens too quickly which means I can get drunk and watch Netflix while grinding :p.

*fist bump*

Its why I like it too.
Great class for busy periods etc.

I never thought to do grobb gaurds, might have to check them out.

Lguk is a ball man. Once you learn the zone its your oyster. (IVU) So far only named I have yet to solo in lguk undead side is Lord and Frenzy but I believe you want to be 55+ minimum to even consider those camps.

azeth
08-29-2018, 06:38 AM
It's too late, but the kedge entrance is a fantastic spot to solo with knights.