PDA

View Full Version : New Players to P99...How did you find out about this?

Arkanjil
08-22-2018, 01:41 AM
It seems like we keep getting new people, consistently, almost every week or 2. How are the new people finding out about the server? Also, would love to hear how you’re enjoying it so far :)

LulzSect©
08-22-2018, 02:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrAr9S--rsk

brought me here

GRMurphy
08-22-2018, 03:37 AM
I didn't play EQ back in the day. Hell, I didn't even bother getting a home computer until 2003, and then I got sucked into FFXI with some friends and didn't even think about other MMOs for years.

Several months ago I'd finally had it with FFXIV after years of trying to find some depth in it. I went back to XI for a while, trying to recapture some of the magic I felt back in 2003-2010, but the game is so different now and there wasn't any mystery for me left. So I decided to give retail EQ a try.

I played it for maybe a day or two and found it pretty clunky, and also incredibly barren (I wasn't playing on a TLP server). I started encountering videos about P99 when searching youtube for EQ vids, and most of the comments were pretty positive so I decided to give it a try.

It's mostly been ok. I get frustrated sometimes by how little I really understand the game, and I've struggled a bit to find a class I really enjoy. However the world and gameplay really interests me, so I just keep plugging away. I keep trying to get other people interested so that maybe I'll have someone to play with, but that hasn't really happened for me.

I created my account back in June, but didn't play for a few weeks after my first day, and then couldn't make up my mind what class to play, so I still have no real levels. I have a semi-abandoned level 20 Paladin, and a baby Enchanter and Cleric that I'm enjoying, but haven't grouped with yet.

Tethler
08-22-2018, 03:40 AM
I'm not new, but when I did hear about it, it was from a RL friend who I played with on live back in the day.

Jlpstrtkng
08-22-2018, 07:15 AM
This thread has potential to be a really great one if you expanded the question to all players. I’m interested in seeing how most heard about this server and why most decided to go through the process to be able to play (finding titanium client, installing and having the necessary files doesn’t take a genius but it does take a little effort). Personally I joined in 2014 when live was no longer enjoyable. Like most here I played original eq era and on and off since and was looking to “recapture” that feeling we have about it. Someone on live actually first mentioned this server and google helped me through the rest

HerdeDaWord
08-22-2018, 08:05 AM
I've been on the server for over a year now but we found it after my brother and I were just reminiscing about our days playing in 1999-2000. After the conversation I just randomly searched twitch to see if anyone was playing. After watching some live eq I noticed a streamer who was playing a version that looked exactly as I remembered the game. I asked him why his looked old school and he gave me all the info. A few days later my brother and I were in.

mcoy
08-22-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm not new, but when I did hear about it, it was from a RL friend who I played with on live back in the day.

How I learned about P99 as well. Made an account while on the phone with them still telling me about it.

-Mcoy

ScaringChildren
08-22-2018, 10:12 AM
I remember hearing about Project 1999 from somewhere in like 2012.

I checked out the website and thought it was still in development.

Then months later, while bored, I decided to download and play EQ Live on Steam.

I made a froglok monk and leveled it to like level 20 maybe? Probably saw 4 people. Someone gave me an SoS.

Live had just enough nostalgic juju to get my gears turning and I researched P99 again and saw a picture of a full EC tunnel with tons of players.

The rest is history.

Rogasmo
08-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Was watching videos on Pantheon and read a comment about Project 1999.
Haven't played EQ in like 15 years.

d3r14k
08-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Still relatively new here, but I found out about this place by looking into current MMOs, deciding they all looked shitty, then wondering what became of EQ, not having played for many years. I stumbled upon "Mysteries of EverQuest", a great Kraddok video, and knew I had to play P99.

Notwotwo
08-22-2018, 11:37 AM
I discovered Project1999 by Hooper (Karkaradon in-game) who make lives of the game

Insomnia
08-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Im not new, but the old Fires of Heaven forum brought me here.

Phenyo
08-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Someone I met in another game told me about p99 so word of mouth

Jan Jensen
08-22-2018, 06:13 PM
www.drow.org

Which is no longer a functional domain. RIP BotS.

Arkanjil
08-22-2018, 06:20 PM
I didn't play EQ back in the day. Hell, I didn't even bother getting a home computer until 2003, and then I got sucked into FFXI with some friends and didn't even think about other MMOs for years.

Several months ago I'd finally had it with FFXIV after years of trying to find some depth in it. I went back to XI for a while, trying to recapture some of the magic I felt back in 2003-2010, but the game is so different now and there wasn't any mystery for me left. So I decided to give retail EQ a try.

I played it for maybe a day or two and found it pretty clunky, and also incredibly barren (I wasn't playing on a TLP server). I started encountering videos about P99 when searching youtube for EQ vids, and most of the comments were pretty positive so I decided to give it a try.

It's mostly been ok. I get frustrated sometimes by how little I really understand the game, and I've struggled a bit to find a class I really enjoy. However the world and gameplay really interests me, so I just keep plugging away. I keep trying to get other people interested so that maybe I'll have someone to play with, but that hasn't really happened for me.

I created my account back in June, but didn't play for a few weeks after my first day, and then couldn't make up my mind what class to play, so I still have no real levels. I have a semi-abandoned level 20 Paladin, and a baby Enchanter and Cleric that I'm enjoying, but haven't grouped with yet.

Wow, that’s awesome that you decided to jump in and give it a try, with no previous EQ experience. One thing that might really help you to feel more involved and be around people to socialize and group with is joining a guild. A leveling guild would be a great option. Send a tell to anyone in Kittens Who Say Meow, Auld Lang Syne, Dawn Believers, or any other newbie friendly guild. They’ll direct you to an officer and that could be a great resource to lean on and socialize with while you learn the ropes of the mechanics and zones.

Pint
08-22-2018, 06:23 PM
eqclassic.org, everyone was salty that this emu project was going to beat them to release but not be as true to classic. eqclassic never materialized though = \

skarlorn
08-22-2018, 06:46 PM
my brother ruined my life by telling me abt it

SunDrake
08-23-2018, 04:47 PM
I know at least two or three people who I met over on the Coirnav TLP server that heard me mention P99 and downloaded it.

It's not perfect, but P99 truly is a pretty great server.

Danth
08-23-2018, 05:57 PM
eqclassic.org, everyone was salty that this emu project was going to beat them to release but not be as true to classic. eqclassic never materialized though = \

Wasn't P99 originally something of a stopgap because that one was taking so long? P99 used stock EQ-EMU codebase as a starting point, which let Nilbog & Co. get a working server up and running more quickly than the folks trying to build everything from scratch, at a cost of some classic accuracy. As it was, the perfectionist approach proved self-defeating since the other project fizzled out years ago.

Danth

sylfi
08-23-2018, 06:08 PM
It was on twitch that I learned about P99. Just thought it'd be fun to see what's going on in good old Everquest (last logged on in 2002-ish) and saw most streamers were playing P99 with the pre-Luclin character models : )

Voland
08-24-2018, 02:25 PM
I have heard about p99 in 2011, while playing on AlKabor Mac server (shout out to <Pathfinders> guild!).
I created an account and looked around, but didn't stay, since i was happy with AlKabor. Once the Mac server shut down, I have moved to p99.

SunDrake
08-25-2018, 04:43 AM
I don’t even remember what brought me here. I’ve thought about it for a while and just don’t recall.

Yeah, as for what brought me here, I can't even really say. I remember I got out of college and hadn't played any games since EQ. Looked around and decided I never really wanted to play any other game again. I think I Googled EQ and was like.. ohhh, sweet. This was late 2009, around the holidays. Took me a bit, but eventually figured out the frustrating [it is, its SO un-intuitive] install and jumped in.

Jay1999
08-25-2018, 05:47 PM
Looking up Everquest live last year, ran across it by running down an internet rabbit hole.

Lurgort/Sseri
08-28-2018, 07:03 AM
Played Live from 2000-2006, on Terris-Thule.
Played EQEMU / VZ/TZ in 2008-9, some PEQ The Grand Creation, and then stopped for a long time. Played other games, saw that Red99 became a thing, made a Shaman there in 2013 when the server had 150-200 pop, got sidetracked by life.

Rolled up on Rise of Zek, geared my main pretty quickly, and decided to check out the server with very healthy population. Great community, very friendly to this solo Necro.

Seeing FoB with 20 players and EC with 75+ is a pretty nostalgic feeling for sure!