PDA

View Full Version : How many people would much rather see a custom P2018 server instead of "green" server

Kommando
08-28-2018, 06:38 AM
I played EQ during classic to velious when they originally came out on the live servers and have had fun on the blue and red emulator servers; albeit not as much fun as when the game was originally released, but still interesting.

A long time ago, in between various iterations of red servers, I recall this dwarf guy released a custom PvP server with the zones and items all changed around (I don't even remember the name of the server). He was mediocre/poor at best at game design and didn't do that great of a job, but still, I think I had more fun playing there than the other emulator servers before it disappeared.

Once people have already beaten all the same content numerous times, I think it kind of warrants a custom server instead of rehashing content from the year 1999 over and over (maybe call it P2018?).

There are several issues with EQ that can be solved with a custom P1999 server (meaning another server in addition to this one) to give the EQ franchise much more longevity and replayability such as:

1) Making it not a huge coordination time sink: People are always jacking off about raids and whatnot, but are 30 vs 1 raids actually more interesting and fun than 6 vs 1 "raids" if the encounters are properly designed? Making all content on a custom server designed for 6 man groups instead of 30 means it can still be fun without having to devote your entire life to the game.

2) Learning from the things DAoC and WoW did right: Structured PvP battlegrounds as the end game. Almost all online games that draw people's attention for any given amount of time have some sort of PvP element like battlegrounds or what have you.

I remember playing a blue EQ server once and being the best guild on the server and I was like, what are we supposed to use this equipment for after we have all the best items in the game? Then I went and played Sullon Zek because I got tired of farming for no reason. Without some sort of battlegrounds or whatever to have something to use the equipment against, there's no point in endlessly farming the best items.

For the server to not die of stagnation, it requires some sort of DAoC or WoW-like battlegrounds as a functional endgame.

3) Add AA's to create more character customization and include new custom AA's - Self explanatory. Also, maybe limit AA choice so if you take one path of AA you cannot take another opposing path. Then you would have defensive warriors, offensive warriors, healing healers, offense orientated healers, etc. Possibly make AA experience only gained through PvP battlegrounds just like DAoC.

4) Custom world map - A zone in that used to lead somewhere else might now lead to unrest and instead of Unrest being a newbie zone, it's now a level 50 zone.

5) Custom loot drops: There's no need to remove or change the low level common items like fine steel long swords, but have all named items have custom stats. I also envision expanding greatly upon the common items in EQ so instead of just going from rusty sword to regular sword to fine steel, adding more tiers where it would go from rusty to copper sword, bronze, iron, fine steel, mithril, etc, and having them all be actually useful in the zones they drop in instead of vendor trash.

Itemization wouldn't be too hard to get off the ground and balance because you could just take fine steel weapons and increase the damage by 20% or whatever to create the next tier up. You know how you get all excited looting a rusty 2h scythe off a level 2 NPC in the starter zone? You could just tier those higher where you loot a mithril 2h scythe in a level 30 zone and it's actually useful off the mob you got it from, albeit more rare than a rusty weapon.

Casters get shafted on itemization for much of EQ, so would need to add lots of dmg focus items, healing focus items, pet focus items, etc, even to lower levels.

6) Out of combat mana and hp regen + bandaging: Possibly alter out of combat mana/hp regen and bandage mechanics to make caster and melee downtime similar. For instance, a rogue might still only be able to kill low blues or something while a caster can take yellows, but the rogue wouldn't have to afk for 1 hour between mobs.

7) Expand upon the crafting system - They added lots of crafting stuff in later expansions so you could just re-integrate a lot of that while downscaling the stats from 5 billion AC to 50 or whatever.

8) The EQ lore element and battlegrounds teams: I've always felt the game was more fun to play when you leave your starting area like Innothule Swamp with a group of other trolls and go harass the other races. My vision of the game would be similar to DAoC or WoW where segregated enemy races exist that you do not group with or see them at all except when you're fighting them in PvP in a battleground or whatever. This would be the basis for the EQ battlegrounds teams.

I would divide the server into a 'good vs evil' setup where each race or diety combination falls into one of those two categories. All evils would start in the same town like Cabilis and all goods in another town like Firiona Vie.

I'm not really sure of the feasibility of creating a structured EQ battleground like DAoC and WoW have, so the other option is of course to connect the two realms by a single zone chokepoint with PvP enabled for that zone. If anyone played an EQ PvP server before, it would be similar to Sullon Zek in it's golden age when you saw 30 halfings fighting against 30 dark elves in east/west commons.

I do like full-PvP servers, but I'd much rather play a 1000 population server with an optional PvP battleground than a 10 man server with full PvP because nobody else will play there.

9) Development time: It wouldn't need to be in development and tested for balance for eternity because you could release it fast using the item tiering method I described based off existing fine steel weapons and such, then slowly add in more powerful items over time in continuous development. Maybe you don't get the full itemization game experience on your first character, but you would on your next alt and it would all be relatively balanced anyway.

If the P1999 people have no interest in creating a custom server, I might try my hand at it and see if I can recruit others to work on it as well. Current P1999 just doesn't have an actual endgame (battlegrounds) like WoW and DAoC have, and playing custom content is more fun than playing the same content over and over.

------------------------------
Fraud <Ruin> - Sullon Zek
Hogwild <Afterlife> - DAoC
Makavelli <Rebirth> - random blue server
Wehrmact <Holocaust> - EQ PvP

radbeard
08-28-2018, 02:35 PM
you might just be looking for: http://rebuildeq.com/

Ella`Ella
08-28-2018, 02:44 PM
I think you're thinking of Toop.

I also think that you're not really interested in playing EverQuest, you're interested in some sort of WoW-like MMO that has Frogloks.

Finally, most of what you asked for is covered by the fellas over at Shard of Dalaya

Lanzellot
08-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Fraud <Ruin> - Sullon Zek
Hogwild <Afterlife> - DAoC
Makavelli <Rebirth> - random blue server
Wehrmact <Holocaust> - EQ PvP

BAN THIS FUCK NAZI

zodium
08-28-2018, 03:11 PM
I want to play Project 1999. :o

Baler
08-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Quite the first post on a new account.

zodium
08-28-2018, 03:16 PM
I just realized if you remove the PvP elements from the OP, you get Shards of Dalaya ca. 2002-2006.

WOAH!

robbybenson24
08-28-2018, 03:33 PM
I think you're thinking of Toop.

I also think that you're not really interested in playing EverQuest, you're interested in some sort of WoW-like MMO that has Frogloks.

Finally, most of what you asked for is covered by the fellas over at Shard of Dalaya

Seconded, you are basically describing Shards of Dalaya. Great custom server that offers the same EQ experience while feeling completely new. Playing SoD for so long has actually made coming back and playing p1999 feel new and exciting. There, "Kaladim" is a lvl 20s exp zone with undead dorfs, "Kurn's Tower" has top-end raid targets, and there are level-capped Adept targets that give toons of any level the feel of a raid encounter (and awesome exp-able loot). Id be happy to log in my old toon Burglecut (https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=burglecut) and help anyone out if they wanted to try this server.

This is starting to sound like a Shards of Dalaya add, but, although i loved my time there, this p99 grind has be hook, line, and sinker.

Tetsuo
08-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Iksar as only playable race please

Foxplay
08-28-2018, 08:49 PM
No

Canelek
08-28-2018, 09:48 PM
Interesting bullshit concept.

Kommando
08-29-2018, 01:43 AM
Seconded, you are basically describing Shards of Dalaya

Nah, it would not be like Shards of Dalaya at all. I played a bit on Shards of Dalaya a long time ago and there's several things that kind of turned me off to the server.

The world map was not very good. It had too much focus on old world assets from classic without removing the filler or boring zones, then piled on PoP assets on top of those, making the whole thing feel put together poorly. I would use mostly Kunark and Velious zones and a lot less classic ones, and likely not use any zones post-Velious.

Shards of Dalaya also had no DAoC or WoW-style battlegrounds as an endgame either. Just like how there's a main capital town for Hibernia and Albion in DAoC, I would likely also have one main city for the good races and one for the evil races, so the map would feel much more focused and less empty as well.

It's not a full PvP server because the two sides wouldn't see each other unless entering a structured battleground type zone, so PvP is optional but still the endgame after you've farmed every item in the game and have nothing else to do.

As for a complete list of zones I'd use:

Dungeons:

Blackburrow
Cazic Thule
Runnyeye
Crushbone
Unrest
City of Mist
Dalnir
Kurn's Tower
Kael Drakkel
Karnors
(possibly) Dragon Necropolis
(possibly) Velk's lab

Outdoor Zones

South Ro
Oasis
Nektulous Forest
Innothule
Feerot
Dreadlands
Field of Bone
Lake of Ill Omen
The Overthere
Jaggedpine
Iceclad Ocean
East Wastes

Several of the zones would have level 1-60 content instead of having zones that are only level 1-20 or 50-60.

Kommando
08-29-2018, 10:51 PM
You of course could also ditch the idea of having it as a team based DAoC or WoW-style server where the two sides never see each other except in PvP battlegrounds and instead have the battlegrounds just be organized, automated, 6vs6 matches where different guilds and such would compete. With the whole Everquest lore deal, it would be more interesting with DAoC-style rules of having each side segregated, though.

sox7d
09-01-2018, 02:10 AM
rofl, ur just describing sod

Newt
09-01-2018, 05:17 AM
Cmon man, you KNOW this aint gonna happen...

zodium
09-01-2018, 05:37 AM
Fun fact: Shards of Dalaya had whole Luclin expansion once, but we decided was so bad, even custom content can't save. We burned whole expansion in huge GM event chain and never let anyone back.

Silken
09-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Everquest was written for PvE, and had PvP patched in prior to release. It is hopelessly unbalanced for PvP, so creating a server with any PvP content would be a colossal waste of everyone's time. There are literally hundreds of MMOs that have a vastly superior and more entertaining PvP system than Everquest. That is why people play those games, instead of the ghost town Everquest PvP servers.

I could get on board with adding new content to P99 (on a different server), provided that it maintained the spirit of the Pre-Luclin game, and didn't work towards removing the social elements and challenge of the game, as well as shrinking the game world down to nothing, like SoV+ expansions did.

shuklak
09-05-2018, 05:48 AM
What happened to sod? Hundreds used to play daily.