PDA

View Full Version : What major item(s) should a Shaman save for/prioritize?

ScaringChildren
09-10-2018, 02:29 PM
I made a Shaman.

I'm poor.

But dammit, I have dreams.

I know to save money for spells, epic, Torpor, JBB, fungi, etc.

I know those are all must-haves, but which ones should I focus on first?

My lil shaman currently has some starter gear (PWC/+HP/+Mana/Haste gear) to get me through the early levels.

I guess my next "big" purchase would be Canni 2? Then a JBB?

Or should I save every damn plat for a Child's Tear?

Speaking of which, Shamans seem to be as expensive as having a child.

Should I level a Druid to 60 before even looking at my Shaman?

Should I uninstall this game and find a wife?

icedwards
09-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Yes.

Child's tear otherwise.

Edit: a fungi will help a lot with leveling until you can use your epic for free root rotting, and can be sold later on to pay for the MQ.

loramin
09-10-2018, 02:44 PM
IMHO the optimal progression for Shaman gear should be:

Spells (except Torpor) > all. Always buy spells, or at least the ones that matter (DoTs, heals, etc.) first

Once you've got your spells the progression should be:

JBB (8-10k now?)
Ikky BP (10k? 15k?)
Fungi Tunic (45k-50k?)
Epic (90k?)
Torpor (100k?)

But since everything except the epic and Topor are liquid, you can buy cheaper stuff and then sell it to get better stuff.

So personally I'd get a JBB, save up 40k more then sell JBB to afford a fungi (you could get an Ikky BP in-between but I hate spending time in EC). Then replace your JBB, and now with a fungi and JBB you should be pretty beefy.

Save another 40k or so, sell the fungi and JBB and get an epic ... then go back and get a JBB followed by a fungi again.

Unless you spent a ton of time plat farming you should be getting to 60 by around that point (if you haven't already). Save up 50k more, then again sell your JBB, your fungi, and your firstborn child if necessary, to buy Torpor.

After that you can replace the JBB easily (Torpor Shaman can farm 8k in less than a day, if they can hold down a good cash camp like NG, or they can solo the Arch Duke in Seb to get a JBB for free). You also could get a new Fungi (King groups in Seb need Torpor Shaman), but honestly once you have Torpor you won't miss it, and if you raid you'll want your dwarf/giant/dragon/PoM BP instead anyway for its mana-free stamina buff.

As for how to get all that plat, see the Treasure Hunting Guide in my sig. Personally I spent a lot of time in Droga; if no one else is there you can farm two items that go for like a k each (Idol of the Thorned drops of the goblin warlord, Earring of Essence drops off the Soothsayer, and there's plenty of time to run between the two camps, plus there's a few other items like Shroud of Nature or Stone of Morid that sell in the hundreds).

utenan
09-10-2018, 05:30 PM
a set of totemic will last you the rest of your life

ScaringChildren
09-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Do I also stop at 49 and travel the wonderous world in search of treasures?

skarlorn
09-10-2018, 06:19 PM

cooL and normaL posting by the legendary barbarian shaman who has defeated nagafen in mortal combat

ScaringChildren
09-10-2018, 06:29 PM
cooL and normaL posting by the legendary barbarian shaman who has defeated nagafen in mortal combat

I will totally white knight in defense of the glorious Kraddok.

He's my favorite person who (sort of) plays on this server.

Never change, dude.

skarlorn
09-10-2018, 06:35 PM
prove it by hitting level 50 in only totemic

ScaringChildren
09-10-2018, 06:38 PM
prove it by hitting level 50 in only totemic

Totemic is peak fashion quest, that's easy.

Check12345
09-10-2018, 07:40 PM
I made a Shaman.

you really want a buddy you can hang out with or you will get divorced

keep that in mind when on the hunt

fortior
09-10-2018, 08:26 PM
go iksar so you don't have to buy a JBB

loramin
09-10-2018, 08:30 PM
go iksar so you don't have to buy a JBB

That's like saying break your own legs to save money on shoes. I mean it's not wrong but ...

Supaskillz
09-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Pretty much what loramin said. JBB and regen items are super helpful and liquid so you could sell them to aquire spells and stuff later if you need to.

If you plan to join a guild @ 50+ I wouldn't spend a ton of plat on buying an epic mq

Crede
09-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Just roll troll and skip the fungi. Go straight for Jbb & epic and then torpor if you choose to play shaman at 60.

loramin
09-10-2018, 09:24 PM
If you plan to join a guild @ 50+ I wouldn't spend a ton of plat on buying an epic mq

This, but just FYI to newer folks, not every guild does fear golems, so make sure to pick a guild that does if this is your plan.

fortior
09-11-2018, 02:59 AM
Just roll troll and skip the fungi. Go straight for Jbb & epic and then torpor if you choose to play shaman at 60.

why skip the fungi, it's a good item and 100% worth it since it'll take you a while to get to 60 anyway, and at that point you can just sell it to one of the many incredibly thirsty buyers

shuklak
09-11-2018, 03:23 AM
Imagine you can buy a ferrari and sell it at full price when you're done. That's how pixels on p99 work.

Buy the jbb and fungi.

turbosilk
09-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Disregard the pay to win mentality. Play the game, enjoy the journey, loot the upgrades yourself. And I recommend ALS (no I'm not a member).

aaezil
09-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Fungi will make more difference than anything until torpor which then makes more diff than anything. Good luck shaman-ing!

seratt
09-11-2018, 04:14 PM
I need to do this. About to ding 40 and still running around with no shoes and missing other gear. *shrug*

loramin
09-11-2018, 04:37 PM
I need to do this. About to ding 40 and still running around with no shoes and missing other gear. *shrug*

You should definitely get the boots: insta-click SoW is more awesome than you'd expect, and it's not hard to get the help to take out Black Dire (I think certain classes, maybe Mages?, can solo it, but otherwise you only need 2-3 level 60s; no matter when you play there's probably a few bored and kind level 60s who would happily help).

But as for your other slots, I think you're doing exactly the right thing. The only gear that really matters in EQ is haste gear, regen gear, and clickies. Everything else has a relatively minor impact by comparison, so if you wasted time filling those slots you'd lose time leveling, and whatever items you got would not at all make up for that lost time. And then when you hit 60 the world is your oyster as far as farming whatever gear you want.

JackofSpade
09-12-2018, 05:42 AM
Ikky bp then fungi will be biggest game changers. Fill out other slots with items 200p or less.

katrik
09-12-2018, 06:38 AM
Sometimes I regret making a lizard lady instead of a barb one. JBB is pretty amazing.

Zabbix
09-12-2018, 07:38 AM
Sometimes I regret making a lizard lady instead of a barb one. JBB is pretty amazing.

#robequest

seratt
09-12-2018, 03:15 PM
You should definitely get the boots: insta-click SoW

Ohhh yeah.. I remember having those boots back on live. Forgot all about those little bad asses.

Jorgam
09-13-2018, 12:04 AM
Canni 2 is not very hard to quest and will set you back 1.2k ish in EC.

Get a Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring.

Quest up to Black Dire asap for sow boots.

Do alchemy at least up to SoW pots for funds.

As a Barb or Iksar shaman you can get a nice and free set of Jarsath Scale in KC.

Kiwix
09-13-2018, 03:50 AM
Why didnt anyone re-open Pandora's box yet? Let me do it:

If you intend to be ubah at 60, you need to go OGRE. Frontal-stun-immunity is the only way and above everything else (yes, also even the regen for certain races)!

loramin
09-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Canni 2 is not very hard to quest and will set you back 1.2k ish in EC.

I dunno, I think it is hard (at least somewhat), because like most Verant spell quests the mobs are higher than you are at the level when you first need the spell.

Admittedly the first three items can be gamed: you can buy the clay in EC (if you spend enough time; it's not a common item), you can loot the bone chips if a group killing the warlord in KC lets you, and you can just pick the diamonds up off the ground in TD.

The real kicker is the Yun Shaman in TT. He can be lower level than you, but you will need to be very careful (and have some luck) to find him without tracking while running through jungles filled with higher level mobs (many of whom are casters) who see invis and will happily chase you back to the zone line (or kill you if you're unlucky). And then you have to pull him to the edge without aggroing anything else and kill him (which may be challenging if he's higher level or if you lost a lot of HP/mana trying to find him)

All that being said, Jorgam is correct, you can/should get all the parts yourself and not buy the spell (even the Yun shaman part is doable if you are careful and make enough attempts ... or luck out when someone's doing Seb keys and let's you loot it for free). I just think all that is a little harder than "not very hard" :)

Of course in a few levels it will be trivial, and I used to sell copies of Cann 2 to lazy Shaman for cash back in the day :)

Get a Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring.

Genuine question: what good is this at lower levels? I mean don't get me wrong, it's amazing for Cann-ing quickly once you have Torpor, but it never seemed very useful to me leveling up. Like great, I saved half a second on Cann-ing, but I lost the mana I'd normally get from Cann-dancing. I guess that's good if you hate cann-dancing, but is there something else I'm missing that makes it better?

Do alchemy at least up to SoW pots for funds.
I strongly disagree with this. I think it once was good advice, but now there is so much competition and the profit margin on SoW potions is so terrible that selling potions is a bad use of your time.

First off, you need a starting cache of several k plat to even do the whole potion thing. Then, between the time it will take you to raise your Alchemy, craft a ton of potions, combine them all (get ready to kill some greens and do some tailoring if you don't have the bearskin bag to do the combining), run back and forth between EC and somewhere that sells alchemy components, sit in the EC tunnel waiting for sales, and then finally make a sale to get a relatively small amount of plat (for all that work) per sale ... there are much faster ways to make plat. Selling Cann 2 for a k or 2k of pure profit on a few hours work is one example ... but also see the Treasure Hunting Guide in my sig.

If you intend to be ubah at 60, you need to go OGRE. Frontal-stun-immunity is the only way and above everything else

I agree that FSI is the best Shaman racial ability at 60 with Torpor. That being said it's hardly necessary to be "ubah". Are you saying I'm not ubah? Huh? ;)

fortior
09-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Genuine question: what good is this at lower levels? I mean don't get me wrong, it's amazing for Cann-ing quickly once you have Torpor, but it never seemed very useful to me leveling up. Like great, I saved half a second on Cann-ing, but I lost the mana I'd normally get from Cann-dancing. Am I missing something?

When your life tick rate beats your mana tick rate when sitting (on a regen race with either worn regen or a regen buff this happens very quickly) you're going to be full life much faster than full mana. If you're solo grinding a camp and don't want to canni dance, quickly zapping your life down for mana before medding and taking a few mins to snack/stretch legs/etc helps a lot.

It's also nice to have in emergencies but I only really 'needed' it once or twice and those situations were preventable.

Tldr: just get a cheap spell cooldown reset item. Spyglass is 100pp, Star of Eyes (http://wiki.project1999.com/Star_of_Eyes) is quested (easy quest & free). It'll make your peeing more efficient by letting you burst up some mana before running off or idk, grabbing a bottle because this is eq

yooperdave23
09-13-2018, 01:10 PM
When your life tick rate beats your mana tick rate when sitting (on a regen race with either worn regen or a regen buff this happens very quickly) you're going to be full life much faster than full mana. If you're solo grinding a camp and don't want to canni dance, quickly zapping your life down for mana before medding and taking a few mins to snack/stretch legs/etc helps a lot.

It's also nice to have in emergencies but I only really 'needed' it once or twice and those situations were preventable.

Tldr: just get a cheap spell cooldown reset item. Spyglass is 100pp, Star of Eyes (http://wiki.project1999.com/Star_of_Eyes) is quested (easy quest & free). It'll make your peeing more efficient by letting you burst up some mana before running off or idk, grabbing a bottle because this is eq

---all of this is correct, but i would like to remind everyone how amazing that grim aura is for a top slot junk buff not only while leveling but at 60.

if you are pulling/tanking/getting agro on casters that dispel you will be very happy to have that earring ready to be clicked for a junk buff.

loramin
09-13-2018, 03:37 PM

---all of this is correct, but i would like to remind everyone how amazing that grim aura is for a top slot junk buff not only while leveling but at 60.

if you are pulling/tanking/getting agro on casters that dispel you will be very happy to have that earring ready to be clicked for a junk buff.

Thanks both for the explanation. I hadn't thought of racial regen, but I did know about the junk buff bit, I just thought of that as mainly being an end game benefit (but of course Shaman < 60 raid too so it's absolutely a relevant feature).

All in all I guess for regen races maybe it is worth the trouble, though it still sounds like more of a "nice to have" than a "must have". And of course SoW boots + a spyglass for when you're indoors is a very viable option too.

Obeast44
09-13-2018, 04:18 PM
A JBB is the single most important item you'll ever use levelling up, especially solo. Next is a fungi. Both of which, will lose their luster once you have Torpor. I put my fungi on an alt and I rarely use the JBB anymore.
With Torpor it's faster/easier to just Bane/Pox a mob down and canni the mana back. I haven't read the entire thread but I am confident other shamans have said as much.

fortior
09-13-2018, 04:19 PM
It's not just worth the trouble, it's good, and every shaman should have a gcd resetting item because it makes buffing, rooting, canni-ing, and everything else easier
I've not used a JBB but you don't have to be a genius to understand that free decent dps = good
I have a fungi and the difference is night and day. Soloing without a fungi is much much slower.

Sillyturtle
09-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Thanks both for the explanation. I hadn't thought of racial regen, but I did know about the junk buff bit, I just thought of that as mainly being an end game benefit (but of course Shaman < 60 raid too so it's absolutely a relevant feature).

All in all I guess for regen races maybe it is worth the trouble, though it still sounds like more of a "nice to have" than a "must have". And of course SoW boots + a spyglass for when you're indoors is a very viable option too.

Loramin is my hero. I love this guy so much I wish I could choose him as my Deity on the character creation screen. I love him so much I built a shrine to him under my bed and each night I hold a ritual devotion to him in my role of High Priest of Loramin, wearing a ceremonial headdress I made from hubcaps I stole from my neighbors car.

I recently rolled a Barb shaman to level with my new ladyfriend's bard/necro she made (she just started P99 and it's her first time playing EQ) and the only thing that's making me not regret not being a Barbarian is that the Blessed Loramin is one also.

All hail Loramin, giver of Barb goodness and advice.

loramin
09-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Loramin is my hero. I love this guy so much I wish I could choose him as my Deity on the character creation screen. I love him so much I built a shrine to him under my bed and each night I hold a ritual devotion to him in my role of High Priest of Loramin, wearing a ceremonial headdress I made from hubcaps I stole from my neighbors car.

I recently rolled a Barb shaman to level with my new ladyfriend's bard/necro she made (she just started P99 and it's her first time playing EQ) and the only thing that's making me not regret not being a Barbarian is that the Blessed Loramin is one also.

All hail Loramin, giver of Barb goodness and advice.

https://i.imgur.com/hi9gxrK.gif

Well, I'm no Swish, but for a post like that I feel the need to use animated gifs to respond ...

https://i.imgur.com/eNbEMYz.gif

https://i.imgur.com/JayniOw.gif

https://i.imgur.com/evTt9Hq.gif

https://i.imgur.com/LsLqOeQ.gif

https://i.imgur.com/zsoYMBR.gif

Sillyturtle
09-13-2018, 08:48 PM
I'm bad at images.

https://media.tenor.com/images/22612f730f6713e2c7f5bebbbdf93f7e/tenor.gif

Crawdad
09-13-2018, 10:00 PM
Why didnt anyone re-open Pandora's box yet? Let me do it:

If you intend to be ubah at 60, you need to go OGRE. Frontal-stun-immunity is the only way and above everything else (yes, also even the regen for certain races)!

There are so many posts rehashing shaman races, weighing pros and cons, theorycrafting situations.. and it still took me three days to pick a race for my shaman alt. I just can't understand how people can stand looking at troll or ogre butt for eternity :o

Missing out on that JBB makes me a sad iksar, though.

Sillyturtle
09-13-2018, 10:21 PM
There are so many posts rehashing shaman races, weighing pros and cons, theorycrafting situations.. and it still took me three days to pick a race for my shaman alt. I just can't understand how people can stand looking at troll or ogre butt for eternity :o

Missing out on that JBB makes me a sad iksar, though.

Honestly I'm so happy that I get to use Ceremonial Iksar BP and JBB and stuff. I just need to follow Loramin's advice and get some cash together to pay for them.

I've been farming for Goblin Gazughi Ring for weeks now without any luck. Longest unlucky streak in my career. I'm up to over 100 courier kills without a drop currently, spread out over a few weekends. Sat there for 16 hours a few weeks ago on a saturday and killed 43 Couriers with nothing.

Jorgam
09-15-2018, 12:57 AM
I dunno, I think it is hard (at least somewhat), because like most Verant spell quests the mobs are higher than you are at the level when you first need the spell.

Admittedly the first three items can be gamed: you can buy the clay in EC (if you spend enough time; it's not a common item), you can loot the bone chips if a group killing the warlord in KC lets you, and you can just pick the diamonds up off the ground in TD.

The real kicker is the Yun Shaman in TT. He can be lower level than you, but you will need to be very careful (and have some luck) to find him without tracking while running through jungles filled with higher level mobs (many of whom are casters) who see invis and will happily chase you back to the zone line (or kill you if you're unlucky). And then you have to pull him to the edge without aggroing anything else and kill him (which may be challenging if he's higher level or if you lost a lot of HP/mana trying to find him)

All that being said, Jorgam is correct, you can/should get all the parts yourself and not buy the spell (even the Yun shaman part is doable if you are careful and make enough attempts ... or luck out when someone's doing Seb keys and let's you loot it for free). I just think all that is a little harder than "not very hard" :)

Of course in a few levels it will be trivial, and I used to sell copies of Cann 2 to lazy Shaman for cash back in the day :)

Genuine question: what good is this at lower levels? I mean don't get me wrong, it's amazing for Cann-ing quickly once you have Torpor, but it never seemed very useful to me leveling up. Like great, I saved half a second on Cann-ing, but I lost the mana I'd normally get from Cann-dancing. I guess that's good if you hate cann-dancing, but is there something else I'm missing that makes it better?

I strongly disagree with this. I think it once was good advice, but now there is so much competition and the profit margin on SoW potions is so terrible that selling potions is a bad use of your time.

First off, you need a starting cache of several k plat to even do the whole potion thing. Then, between the time it will take you to raise your Alchemy, craft a ton of potions, combine them all (get ready to kill some greens and do some tailoring if you don't have the bearskin bag to do the combining), run back and forth between EC and somewhere that sells alchemy components, sit in the EC tunnel waiting for sales, and then finally make a sale to get a relatively small amount of plat (for all that work) per sale ... there are much faster ways to make plat. Selling Cann 2 for a k or 2k of pure profit on a few hours work is one example ... but also see the Treasure Hunting Guide in my sig.

I agree that FSI is the best Shaman racial ability at 60 with Torpor. That being said it's hardly necessary to be "ubah". Are you saying I'm not ubah? Huh? ;)

The Yun shaman actually paths up to the wall where it turns toward the ruins of sebilis when you first see the ruined archways, so running around out in the wild is not the only way to get him. Also I think the powder is tradable. Hardest part is the stupid trip to get the crushed diamond dust, imo.

The earring is good for refreshing spells other than canni at lower lvls. It is nice to be able to get a root off faster or buff faster or even use those crap low lvl shaman heals faster. Also, as mentioned it is a good junk buff if you need that.

I say to do SoW pots because though the profit margin isn't great and it takes some money to get going, the skill lvl required is really low and they do move fast. If you're not on long enough to camp something, you can still be doing something for money if needed. As well, being able to make sow pots for your alts who don't have Jboots, SoW or Selo's is really nice.

My 60 torp sham is a Barb and I've got no regrets. He's mighty handsome!

Wilhelm
09-15-2018, 07:30 AM
https://i.imgur.com/hi9gxrK.gif
]

What is that from? That chick is SMOKIN HOT!