PDA

View Full Version : Describe your dream server

Rodeojones1979
10-01-2018, 05:22 PM
I know this thread will be a magnet for derision, but lets all try to stay positive and discuss our dream EQ classic-ish emulation. Don’t yuck someone’s yum here. Did you love Luclin? Tell us what you’d love to play and why? Hated everything besides the Vanilla? Go ahead. Describe your vision and how it would work. And to prevent flaming, lets all avoid talking about what P99 should do. Describe your vision for a brand new server, NOT what should be implemented here.

I’ll start.

I would love to see a server start with Classic EQ, Kunark, and Velious, then add in user-generated custom content, like new zones, mobs, quests, and items. I’m inspired by the EQ Next’s idea of sandbox content created by the users. Many games have gotten endless life out of this concept, like Minecraft and Skyrim. Heck, I still fire up Morrowind from time to time and check out the most popular custom content and mods.

Basically, I want to play a classic-ish EQ with the opportunity to experience a new launch. One where we would have to learn the new mobs and quests with trial by fire. One where there was no memory or wiki to guide us. Heck, I would even be entertained by a classic server where all of the quests, mobs, and items were scrambled. For example, Mistmoore would drop Darkforge off of Elemental mobs and the Hole would be overrun by lizards.

I also long for several quality of life improvements, where strictly adhering to classic format is unimportant to me. I’ve always wanted maps and a better LFG finder on P99, for example. I also want spell descriptions and buff timers available.

While this ideas is obviously very difficult to make well due to programming and vision, I think there are many people out there capable of making quality custom content. I dream of a day where modders can debut their creations and players all vote on what content they would like to see implemented to the game.

What I haven’t worked out is how we could feasibly maintain server population while keeping everyone happy. Would we clone the classic server to keep a pristine copy, and only implement the custom content on the other one? How many people would we need to keep a healthy and vibrant server? Should we allow boxing?

Does that sound interesting to you? No? Why not? What do you want to see? Tell us here!

loramin
10-01-2018, 05:24 PM
I'm predicting it now: at least 10 replies are going to be something to the effect of "P99 but goes up to PoP", with at least five more being a variant of that except with whatever expansion was out when the poster quit EQ (eg. "... up to LDoN", or "... up to SoL").

Further prediction: no one will say "... up to Legacy of Ykesha" :)

ScaringChildren
10-01-2018, 05:29 PM
up to Legacy of Ykesha

loramin
10-01-2018, 05:31 PM
* and mean it

dcrag
10-01-2018, 05:37 PM
I'm predicting it now: at least 10 replies are going to be something to the effect of "P99 but goes up to PoP", with at least five more being a variant of that except with whatever expansion was out when the poster quit EQ (eg. "... up to LDoN", or "... up to SoL").

Further prediction: no one will say "... up to Legacy of Ykesha" :)

For good reason probably, 15 active raiding guilds (if you quantify them by completing quarm weekly) on live EQ. Their most active server.

Not on either side of the fence in this argument, however.

edit:spelling

HippoNipple
10-01-2018, 05:43 PM
I didn't read any other posts besides OP so sorry if this was posted, but my perfect server would go up to Legacy of Ykesha and I mean it.

Pringles
10-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Server that went up to SoL at release. So no bazaar. Forced classic models. Nexus teleports disabled except for Shadow Haven. Vex Thal raid mobs had no variance. The dream.

Bboboo
10-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Mists of Pandaria

HAAAAAAAH GEET IT?

beargryllz
10-01-2018, 06:44 PM
No fat chicks

Ralexia
10-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Something like the original NES Zelda 2nd quest. Classes are roughly classic, but zone connections are different, monsters have new abilities, loot is new or in different places, zone level ranges could be different.

Shards of Dalaya does something like this but it's way too top heavy, and population is very low these days.

Jimjam
10-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Unexpanded classic with race teams pvp, except also Legacy of Ykesha.

loramin
10-01-2018, 07:08 PM
up to Legacy of Ykesha

my perfect server would go up to Legacy of Ykesha and I mean it.

MickMoranis (not shown)

Mists of Pandaria

except also Legacy of Ykesha.

https://i.imgur.com/Ru9eWRT.gif?noredirect

;)

Jimjam
10-01-2018, 07:18 PM
I'm the one guy who actually enjoyed LoY.

Except that stupid armour dye bull.

Zutizutzut
10-01-2018, 07:40 PM
I'd like to have the server start at the beginning and progress through the expansions in the same time windows as happened on live. I'd also want the zero boxing policy to continue to exist as well as restrictions against buying characters/RMT type stuff.

I'd like to progress up to Planes of Power and stop

I would up front fix some of the broken stuff that I consider mistakes.
These would include at a minimum:
- Add mailbox system to allow transferring items between your chars or other chars (similar to live)
- No Manastone ever
- Compass from start
- Chat channels from start
- Soulfire must be equipped (paladin only)
- Sleeper cannot be awoken
- Sneak/Pull would remain a thing but beads and bio-orbs would not.
- Lockets would instead be given by difficult quest available at the start but would get more difficult each expansion to complete quest (never becoming trivial)
- Fungi Tunics/staves and all epics would have a level restriction of 50
- New expansion zones would have old school type connections as well as wizard/druid portals. No friggin' portal books, pads, anywhere in game (including tim deep) other than zone outs such as fear.
- Rogues would have evade from the start
- No hybrid penalties ever
- Try to improve Luclin xp zones
- Monk triple attack would occur a couple of months into Luclin instead of at end of Velious
- ToV would have rooted dragons, but once NTOV trash is killed, it would be down for an hour. (Likely leading to leapfrog racing/fast engages).
- PoM would be completed when it first appears instead of being partially implemented.
- AC would not have a single PH but instead could spawn from any of the higher level spawn points in the zone
- Vulak and Tunare loot drop quantities and categories would be as they were on live (instead of how they are here atm).
- Add epic 2.0 to end of PoP as last hurrah (and make them very difficult to get for all classes).

dcrag
10-01-2018, 08:00 PM
I mean if we're doing all that can I get a shared friends list between chars? like battle.net

loramin
10-01-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm the one guy who actually enjoyed LoY.

Except that stupid armour dye bull.

https://i.imgur.com/lujAVMf.png

mickmoranis
10-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Mine is timeline progression until luclin launch day it resets, with a graveyard server where 1 character per cycle is saved. (but if can only be ONE server, then just have it cycle over and over forever)

First cycle is blue, next is teams, then blue again, then teams etc etc

Topgunben
10-01-2018, 10:13 PM
i wonder if a classic feature of 7 day spawns was too make people have to wait around more, hence people paying the subscription fee for a longer period of time.

Quizlop
10-01-2018, 11:31 PM
Classic through Velious TLP.
No MQs.
No vendor recharging.
All clickies only usable by class/race/diety that can equip.
No corpsing LORE or NO RENT items.
All removed/nerfed items exist in post-nerf state (No manastone, pre-nerf CoS, Locket, beads etc.)
All classes can only be bound where melee can be bound.
Rez spells only restore half as much experience as they currently do.
Iksar and Troll regen rates halved 50+.

Jauna
10-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Server as is but with LDoN mechanics/instances

ZiggyTheMuss
10-02-2018, 12:18 AM
Keep it as is except add earthquakes every 5 minutes.

Swish2
10-02-2018, 12:18 AM
The irony here is everyone came to play classic EverQuest.

Mewse
10-02-2018, 01:13 AM
The irony here is everyone came to play classic EverQuest.

I came because it's the best option available while I wait for Pantheon. If a P99 version of PoP existed with no boxing, I'd play there and never look back. The class balance was infinitely better, and the raids were a lot more fun (IMO).

I know people hate Luclin, but I always thought it had some really cool zones. So I'd love to play through that again, too.

Foxplay
10-02-2018, 01:40 AM
Keep it as is except add earthquakes every 5 minutes.

Every 5 minutes? that's a bit much

Every 8 or 12 hours would be sufficent for insane amounts of raiding. Anything less starts making things a bit crazy

Canelek
10-02-2018, 02:10 AM
I think a lot of you just want live EQ without paying for it.

Kesselring
10-02-2018, 02:23 AM
Everything p99 has but sleeper resets every month (or year).

Muggens
10-02-2018, 03:25 AM
My dream server is a happy P99, where trolls and gnomes can be themselves fully.

Also serverwide ooc on blue.

Swish2
10-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Also serverwide ooc on blue.

https://i.imgur.com/5RlpwZZ.gif

Swish2
10-02-2018, 04:20 AM
P99 version of PoP existed with no boxing, I'd play there and never look back...

I'd definitely look into it if it appeared. TAKP etc is the only thing close but people 3-box etc, even though there are some soloists that play.

Mewse
10-02-2018, 06:33 AM
TAKP etc is the only thing close but people 3-box etc, even though there are some soloists that play.

Same with P2002. I tried the TLP servers as well, and it just didn't feel like EverQuest. Krono, overpowered damage tables, augs in classic, etc. Even the most casual of casual guilds were clearing Time in the first month of PoP release. The content was just way too easy with all the changes.

So, here I am. Classic might have its problems, but it still feels like home.

abyssalstalker
10-02-2018, 08:56 AM
I'd like to have the server start at the beginning and progress through the expansions in the same time windows as happened on live. I'd also want the zero boxing policy to continue to exist as well as restrictions against buying characters/RMT type stuff.

I'd like to progress up to Planes of Power and stop

I would up front fix some of the broken stuff that I consider mistakes.
These would include at a minimum:
- Add mailbox system to allow transferring items between your chars or other chars (similar to live)
- No Manastone ever
- Compass from start
- Chat channels from start
- Soulfire must be equipped (paladin only)
- Sleeper cannot be awoken
- Sneak/Pull would remain a thing but beads and bio-orbs would not.
- Lockets would instead be given by difficult quest available at the start but would get more difficult each expansion to complete quest (never becoming trivial)
- Fungi Tunics/staves and all epics would have a level restriction of 50
- New expansion zones would have old school type connections as well as wizard/druid portals. No friggin' portal books, pads, anywhere in game (including tim deep) other than zone outs such as fear.
- Rogues would have evade from the start
- No hybrid penalties ever
- Try to improve Luclin xp zones
- Monk triple attack would occur a couple of months into Luclin instead of at end of Velious
- ToV would have rooted dragons, but once NTOV trash is killed, it would be down for an hour. (Likely leading to leapfrog racing/fast engages).
- PoM would be completed when it first appears instead of being partially implemented.
- AC would not have a single PH but instead could spawn from any of the higher level spawn points in the zone
- Vulak and Tunare loot drop quantities and categories would be as they were on live (instead of how they are here atm).
- Add epic 2.0 to end of PoP as last hurrah (and make them very difficult to get for all classes).

Pretty much the dream here for me. +1

Ella`Ella
10-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Dream EQ server would be P99 the day after a full server wipe.

mickmoranis
10-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Dream EQ server would be P99 the day after a full server wipe.

every 3 years!

putrid_plum
10-02-2018, 11:02 AM
A fresh P99 server would be awesome. A shame it wont happen.

mickmoranis
10-02-2018, 11:14 AM
my perfect server would be

red99 the way it is now, except linear progression until the release of luclin, then reset.

Artaenc
10-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Planes of Power without Variance, YKesha was annoying and that's actually when I stopped playing on live servers and went to FFXI with the original guild leader of TMO Live Edarion along with a few other people.

Lammy
10-02-2018, 01:05 PM
A fresh P99 server would be awesome. A shame it wont happen.

I can't imagine the Autism that will exist on this fresh P99 server

aaezil
10-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Would like to see a server with a quarantine area for the no lifers so they rest of the population can enjoy content

bigjeff100
10-02-2018, 01:17 PM
I want the green 99 server.. With all the fixing's from blue. However i want certain zones to allow pvp contested mobs.. Like ToV.. All that super duper end game stuff.. I want that to be all pvp contested, that seems soooo exciting to me!! Would keep earthquakes super exciting too!!

Trelaboon
10-02-2018, 02:03 PM
Mine would be a cross of p99 and Firiona Vie. I’d love to see a role play server done by the p99 crew where there was no common tongue, no mixed grouping (evils are restricted to evils, everything else is together) a trivial loot code and a single character per player restriction with no NO DROP items (except epics). You could have multiple accounts on live but I’d like to see it done with a strict one character policy. I’m not sure how the devs would be able to enforce that on an emu where accounts are free for as many as you want, but I’d love it.

I’d actuallt enjoy something similar to the way things were done with p99. I’d like to spend like two years in each expansion, and then stop at Planes of Power, though I’d be fine if it only went to Velious as well

ScaringChildren
10-02-2018, 02:03 PM
loot boxes, DLC, micro transactions, and battle royale with obnoxious dance emotes

Issar
10-02-2018, 02:05 PM
I still enjoy Blue quite a bit, but I’ll be happy whenever Green rolls out. I’m looking forward to playing in groups where we have to rely on each other rather than disregarding difficulties due to gear.

If I’m creating a “dream” server it would maybe look something like this

Server

Roleplay-lite (naming rules enforced for payers and guilds, etc.)
Roleplay is encouraged, but not mandatory
No MQs
All raid mob dropped gear is no-drop
Instanced raiding, because I like to raid but my family, health, and work come first
Timeline through POP
While I enjoy the original models, the choice should be there for the Luclin models
Single box only (this is a must for me)
Shared bank slots, minimize hassling friends for transfers
No hybrid penalties from the start
Intended class balancing in place from the start (combat tables, etc)
Players must acknowledge that we aren’t customers and the staff are letting us play with their stuff, and behave accordingly

Bordsythenewb
10-02-2018, 02:10 PM
A progressive server that goes up to Lost dungeons. I love classic, but it does get boring after awhile.

Evia
10-02-2018, 02:36 PM
Very similar to OP, id have a classic-velious server that is actually in a parallel universe of sorts. All races and classes stay the same, as does general gameplay. The lore, factions, quests and zones will all be redone. It would then be everquest like i love it, but new again! Id have to learn where the best items drop and where the best places to grind would be! Not to mention relearning the lore!

It would also have to be a single box server. I loathe boxing.

Sonderbeast
10-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Ideally a server should be prompt seating my party, friendly, female (because well I like them) and make me feel comfortable and welcome to be at their restaurant.

Baler
10-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Ultima Online Meets Everquest. Custom EQ EMU server not built for money by assholes who only care about money.
Real people with passion for both games. (emu scene is plagued with cash grabs and people who turn a love into a money scheme)

Trelaboon
10-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Ideally a server should be prompt seating my party, friendly, female (because well I like them) and make me feel comfortable and welcome to be at their restaurant.

Shit, I misunderstood the question. I feel embarrassed

fan D
10-02-2018, 08:21 PM
id like to hit level 60 and stare at a wall for anywhere between 1 to 16 hours and then race to engage the mob. if my guild kills it, even month or two i can gain a stat that will not help me or my guild progress through content

mickmoranis
10-02-2018, 08:27 PM
id like to hit level 60 and stare at a wall for anywhere between 1 to 16 hours and then race to engage the mob. if my guild kills it, even month or two i can gain a stat that will not help me or my guild progress through content

dude i would do this for 7 years

Kohedron
10-02-2018, 08:53 PM
A reset of Shards of Dalaya and an at least decent population.

Pope Hat
10-03-2018, 09:06 AM
3-box server with a 4th account allowed for only Bazaar mule and stops at OOW.

Dafydd
10-03-2018, 09:21 AM
I would love a P99 SoD like server. To have to figure out everything all over again would make this game fresh again. How hard would it be to change it all up?