PDA

View Full Version : "You feel an overwhelming sense of loss."

Yinn Yang
10-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Does anyone else remember this message in the very early game (1999-2000)? The last time I recall seeing it (and not really understanding what it meant at the time) was in December 2000.

It apparently was received when a corpse of yours poofed, before it could be recovered. The time I saw it was on a boat trip back to BB from Freeport to recover my level 5-ish corpse (and paltry gear). The boat trip clearly took longer than 30 minutes and this message seemed to appear right about the time my body would have disappeared.

I recall asking about it back then and a few people said they had seen it too, but I don't believe I ever saw it again... I also don't know that I ever let it happen again, was pretty disappointing.

I thought the message "You feel an overwhelming sense of loss" was cool though.

Anyone remember that?

Wonkie
10-03-2018, 11:09 AM
that's really cool hope it's A Thing

feniin
10-03-2018, 11:10 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=728

A bard lulled you.

loramin
10-03-2018, 11:14 AM

A bard lulled you.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Kelin%27s_Lugubrious_Lament (get that Allakhazam nonsense out of here ;))

Yinn Yang
10-03-2018, 11:16 AM

A bard lulled you.

Interesting! But I know I was on a boat when I saw it... I didn't think bards could play songs on boats? Or maybe they can... or, maybe there was a bard NPC (Siren in OOT?) near the boat. That would explain a lot... but I distinctly recall the word "overwhelming". Admittedly, it may be selective memory going on here.

Legidias
10-03-2018, 11:25 AM
You can start songs off a boat, and they will keep playing even if you're on it.

Yinn Yang
10-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Okay, mystery solved... many thanks Feniin!

Apparently both "an alluring siren" and "Quag Maelstrom" are both bard class NPCs. Chances are very high that, either the boat passed closely enough to the siren island on the way to Butcherblock that I was hit with a song... OR, somebody had trained Quag Maelstrom to the boat (or boat path) at some point, and he was running under the boat... I was just lucky enough on that trip not to be squashed. Although, I certainly got squashed by a few cyclopes on boat rides back then.

Could have been a bard riding on the boat with me that day too.

So, my incorrect memory (although would still be a very cool message to receive when your corpse poofs) has fooled me all these years!

What a relief.

loramin
10-03-2018, 11:55 AM
You can start songs off a boat, and they will keep playing even if you're on it.

But this seems like the kind of song where you'd have to be in a duel with another player for it to affect them (like all offensive songs/spells), no? Like as a Druid I'm pretty sure I can't just Harmony random players.

Apparently both "an alluring siren" and "Quag Maelstrom" are both bard class NPCs. Chances are very high that, either the boat passed closely enough to the siren island on the way to Butcherblock that I was hit with a song... OR, somebody had trained Quag Maelstrom to the boat (or boat path) at some point, and he was running under the boat... I was just lucky enough on that trip not to be squashed.

If this is what happened I'd think a bug report is in order, since I'm pretty sure neither of those mobs cast that song here.

feniin
10-03-2018, 11:56 AM
You can harmony random players :)

Yinn Yang
10-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Well, too late for bug report now... this was a lonnngg time ago.

I’ve been asking around about it for many years. The bard song idea is the closest thing to an answer I’ve seen. I’d still swear it said “overwhelming” in there, and my corpse was absolutely gone when I got back. But cyclopses were often trained to the Erolissi island docks and would then follow the boat, killing those on it. The alluring siren idea seems a bit unlikely, only because, in all my boat trips, I never was attacked by a siren in that area while riding on the boat.

Evia
10-03-2018, 01:43 PM
I actually think it would be rad if you got a message like that if your corpse poofed. Seems like a cool feature that should exist!

Yinn Yang
10-03-2018, 01:51 PM
I actually think it would be rad if you got a message like that if your corpse poofed. Seems like a cool feature that should exist!

I couldn't agree more... really made sense to me, since I assumed that's why I had gotten it. I know a buddy of mine had told me I'd better recover it quickly, or I'd lose my stuff (I hadn't been playing too long at that point). I had planned to bind at BB as soon as I got there, and had not anticipated the damn aqua goblins near the docks. I was definitely stressed out while on that boat ride, was watching the clock because I had a rough idea of when I had died. I knew that boat ride was probably not gonna allow me to make it there. Anyway, it seemed to be right around the 30 minute mark that I saw that message, so it freaked me out.

loramin
10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
You can harmony random players :)

TIL ...

YendorLootmonkey
10-03-2018, 04:21 PM

If you are in the same zone as a raid mob, and another guild gets FTE, you should get that message.

ScaringChildren
10-03-2018, 04:22 PM
If you are in the same zone as a raid mob, and another guild gets FTE, you should get that message.

"You feel an overwhelming sense to git gud."

Varren
10-04-2018, 07:38 AM
Bard mobs don’t actually use bard songs, so it definitely wasn’t that

Yinn Yang
10-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Bard mobs don’t actually use bard songs, so it definitely wasn’t that

Interesting. Well, that means that it must have been a bard PC on the boat with me. I wasn’t saavy enough at that point to look at song/spell icons when it happened. Or, alternatively, I did actually see the “overwhelming” message when my corpse poofed.

It sure seems like the odds of a bard jumping on the boat, while singing, at Erolissi island (couldn’t have been Freeport, the zoning would stop the song) is unlikely. But it’s not out of the realm of possibility. Seems like if I was targetted by the bard, I may have seen the message, even if we weren’t duelling and I didn’t actually have the effect hit me.

I will say this, it REALLY stood out in my chat screen. If i recall correctly, it was bright yellow or green... not like a song or spell.

Jimjam
10-04-2018, 09:25 AM
The cyclops in oot sings.

Just mana drain iirc

feniin
10-04-2018, 10:34 AM
The bard could have had levi and stepped off a sec to start the song.

MiRo2
10-04-2018, 03:26 PM
If this is what happened I'd think a bug report is in order, since I'm pretty sure neither of those mobs cast that song here.

Bard NPCs did not cast at all on live.