PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Rez Inside Permafrost Bear Pits

Gumbo
10-08-2018, 08:39 AM
I finally decided to check out the Permafrost Bear Pits cause I've seen the videos and heard how great the XP can be. So I tried it and I was able to charm and take out 2 bears without any problems. I decide to try it again and every charm and root would break within 5 seconds of casting or my regular spell casting kept getting interrupted.

I'm asking for a big job because I know it's a pain getting in, around and into the Pits. I'm hoping someone has a Cleric parked in Permafrost to make it a little easier and of course, a generous donation and port to any Druid ring zone is offered on the table.

Thank you...

d3r14k
10-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Send me a tell in game on Tuluven, I'll get you. You'll have to pick me up in WC though.

Gumbo
10-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all your help Tuluven. I hope I won't be needing your services again anytime soon...

Speedi
10-08-2018, 02:36 PM
I am curious, what level are you currently?

What video did you watch?

GL on your Rez quest Tuluven!

eezl
10-08-2018, 03:10 PM
my advice is be prepared to eat some deaths learning the ins and outs of the bear pits. I went from 54.5 to 60 there on a druid, and part of the process was eating a bunch of deaths to learn what works and what doesn't, and what to do for the most success.

You will die if you camp the bear pits, it's just a fact, but the exp is so good, it's usually worth it to just eat your corpse and keep going, you'll make that exp back in an hour, 2 max. And if someone has a cleric parked there, it's just a bonus.

kjs86z
10-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Posts like this make me nervous about bringing my druid there.

Prob gonna check it out at 53 anyway.

zodium
10-08-2018, 03:15 PM
my advice is be prepared to eat some deaths learning the ins and outs of the bear pits. I went from 54.5 to 60 there on a druid, and part of the process was eating a bunch of deaths to learn what works and what doesn't, and what to do for the most success.

You will die if you camp the bear pits, it's just a fact, but the exp is so good, it's usually worth it to just eat your corpse and keep going, you'll make that exp back in an hour, 2 max. And if someone has a cleric parked there, it's just a bonus.

Eating exp deaths is an intrinsic and unavoidable part of learning to play Druid good. :o

Expediency
10-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Bear pits are amazing and part of the druid experience. Its rowdy down there. My tips:

1. Duo is 5x safer than solo, and you dont have to kill pets for max exp. Players who want to press the issue can force your duo to pick top pits or bottom pits though which forces you to break up your duo to keep them both.

2. If you are new, or lower than level 57-58, duo even if it means worse exp so you can learn the area and spawns.

3. Never haste or buff your pet. Someone else will convince you to try it, and you will regret it. Even in a duo with two 59s haste isnt worth the risk. Thorns are only exception, always use this.

4. If you die, leave a corpse to get rezzed, clerics do come through sometimes. Minimum rez tip = 250pp imo. If you find a cleric parked there, tip them a fortune so they will come back when you die.

5. Pulling the terrors or anything from up the ladder is pros only.

6. If your guild is socking vox be aware of any server rules about exping in zone

I am curious, what level are you currently?

What video did you watch?

GL on your Rez quest Tuluven!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=visb_rkLiqw

This is the one I used. Watching videos ruins immersion but getting down there is serious business.

Tethler
10-09-2018, 12:25 AM
3. Never haste or buff your pet. Someone else will convince you to try it, and you will regret it. Even in a duo with two 59s haste isnt worth the risk. Thorns are only exception, always use this.

This. I died a handful of times in several levels there. It was always to a hasted pet that resisted 2-3 roots in a row. Since stopping my use of haste, I haven't died once.

Bboboo
10-09-2018, 02:23 AM
moving to just snare your pet and haste/buff it

dcrag
10-09-2018, 02:29 AM
This. I died a handful of times in several levels there. It was always to a hasted pet that resisted 2-3 roots in a row. Since stopping my use of haste, I haven't died once.

Ya but that hasted pet is gonna kill 3-4x the amount of mobs it will unhasted. Not only increasing exp gain but saving mana. Trick is just stand at max range, gives you a chance to root before it even gets to you if you're paying attention.

Tethler
10-09-2018, 03:15 AM
Ya but that hasted pet is gonna kill 3-4x the amount of mobs it will unhasted. Not only increasing exp gain but saving mana. Trick is just stand at max range, gives you a chance to root before it even gets to you if you're paying attention.

Maybe if you're duoing and you don't want to break charm for the xp hit. If soloing and you get 3, thorns on the pet and arms/bracer dot on the other target are usually enough for the pet to 1 vs 2 the others. Other than that, I found it best to have 1 pet per 1 other mob and kill both at the same time.

The speed increase didnt seem worth it to me to risk 1-2 hours of xp time. If you feel confident you can get a rez though, sure, go for it.

Bummey
10-09-2018, 01:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=visb_rkLiqw

This is the one I used. Watching videos ruins immersion but getting down there is serious business.

While Haggard Krew's bottom camp video is excellent, this video sucks and their method for getting there is needlessly dangerous. It's much safer to just root the see invis mobs and immediately camp aggro around a corner out of LOS. Aside from the two ice giants at the 2 mark on the map, which don't always see invis, only the ice giant magi (also may not see invis) and one icy terror will be in your way. Just root them, sneak out of line of sight, and camp. Magi is low level, the terror bit higher level. Binding down in the pits is a bad idea, too. The safest spot in zone is this red circle up in the upper hallways.

https://i.imgur.com/ROw87ZW.png

No mobs spawn there, no mobs ever path there from a resetting train, and you won't have someone from the top camp train bears on top of you if you afk in the pits' "safe spot." The green dot below is an icy terror, but the red line is a geometry bug that blocks line of sight so you will never aggro the terror unless you purposefully cross it. The Xs are pit falls. The X just to the left of the red circle drops onto a spider and a wolf spawn, so use regular invis (not vs animals) before going down to the pits.

bigjeff100
10-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Legit question- Is this camp really better than just quadding othmirs? I avoided bear pits 100% on my druid, started quadding othmirs at 58.. Selling the furs, gems, and crustacean is an amazing profit! It's safe, great music, and such a convenient location. 20sec run from the circle, always rezzers and mind refreshers coming and going. And great for making that extra money succoring people through SG! Bear pits are scary man, and a thread reaching 2 or 3 pages just discussing how the camp works seems like a pain in the rear.

Muggens
10-09-2018, 03:31 PM
^Poor othmirs! They make that sweet steel drum music you love so much.

bigjeff100
10-09-2018, 03:41 PM
^Poor othmirs! They make that sweet steel drum music you love so much.

They kick out the best jams, hands down. I leave enough up to still produce quality music.

Muggens
10-09-2018, 04:20 PM
They kick out the best jams, hands down. I leave enough up to still produce quality music.

Aight thats good to hear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_l7WtWTP0

Bummey
10-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Legit question- Is this camp really better than just quadding othmirs? I avoided bear pits 100% on my druid, started quadding othmirs at 58.. Selling the furs, gems, and crustacean is an amazing profit! It's safe, great music, and such a convenient location. 20sec run from the circle, always rezzers and mind refreshers coming and going. And great for making that extra money succoring people through SG! Bear pits are scary man, and a thread reaching 2 or 3 pages just discussing how the camp works seems like a pain in the rear.

Yes. Fuck those othmir, in a "they're not even worth killing" sort of way, not a "you should extremely kill them, do nothing but kill them" way and definitely not in a horny way.

It seems like a huge pain in the ass, but once you get the hang of it it's quite easy. It is dangerous. It's way out in the middle of nowhere. And it can be tricky to get to the camp, but once you're in and established and know how to do it there's no better place to be where exp is concerned.

All that other stuff you listed distracts from the hot hot exp in the bear pits.

Speedi
10-10-2018, 04:17 AM
Look at this tutorial as well. It covers pretty much everything. Good luck!

Bear Pits 101 (Tutorial) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/176604719?t=1031s

Expediency
10-10-2018, 08:09 AM

That small benefit is not worth the huge added risk. With thorns + dot the bears die plenty fast already and if you want max exp solo you have to keep several rooted before you break pet.

I'm sure there are some pros out there who can squeeze a little more exp by hasting the pet but overall for most players it is a losing proposition, especially solo.

Malik_Gynax
10-10-2018, 08:29 AM
I highly recommend one of these: https://wiki.project1999.com/Leatherfoot_Raider_Skullcap

I consider that the best item in the game. It saved me a LOT of hassle on at least 3 occasions in bear pits where things went horribly wrong. A simple right click and I don't need to beg a cleric to come to the furthest corner of the world to help me.

With an alt with a second cap parked at an accessible vendor, you can recharge yourself within a couple minutes and be back in business as well. The recharge probably costs less than it would cost to pay a cleric to come out as well.

stebbins99
10-10-2018, 10:04 AM
How much does it (approximately) cost to recharge one out of curiosity?

zodium
10-10-2018, 10:24 AM
How much does it (approximately) cost to recharge one out of curiosity?

90pp per hat, or ~180pp for a 1:1 recharge.

stebbins99
10-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Thank you for info! The skullcap is a pretty sweet item!

iflytoohigh
10-10-2018, 11:20 AM
I love the bear pits. I hate the bear pits. went from 54 to 60 there. I agree that duoing is safer and is nice to have someone there to pass the time. no haste on bears. ugh..so much risk. I think it's the best exp in the game for 55+ soloing / duoing.

Gumbo
10-11-2018, 08:26 PM
I guess I better jump in again and give my bear pit report. After I died and got my rez, I hit the pits again, top level and I worked a tactic that I was paying very close attetion and thinking ahead of what might happen and everything was turning out fine with no problems.

By the fourth day, I had problems again and I noticed that the problems come all at the same time. I charmed one bear and rooted the 2nd bear. Both bears started fighting and about a minute in, the charm broke on the bear and he came at me. I had a little distance so I tried charming again and just as soon as it hits the bear. The bear happens to hit me and my spell casting is interrupted. I start to cast root and same thing happens, casting interrupted. I turn to get some distance from the bear and the bear and wolf in the back cave attacks me. I tried casting root again and casting interrupted again. I run a little to get some distance to recast root and the spider kills me. I never made it past the trap in the ceiling but the spider killed me?

Now I was able to get another rez but right now, I don't know if I want continue the bear pits. It's great experience but it's almost as if something goes wrong and you can't gain control again, you are dead.

If I head back, I will get a Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap because its the quickest way to get out of any bad situation. I'll also see about bringing someone with me for backup.

Rokzor
10-12-2018, 03:52 AM
Ensnare your charmed mob and the one you are fighting too if you weren't already, it also helps to keep up sow (port out, cast sow, gate back in).

loramin
10-12-2018, 11:44 AM
I guess I better jump in again and give my bear pit report. After I died and got my rez, I hit the pits again, top level and I worked a tactic that I was paying very close attetion and thinking ahead of what might happen and everything was turning out fine with no problems.

By the fourth day, I had problems again and I noticed that the problems come all at the same time. I charmed one bear and rooted the 2nd bear. Both bears started fighting and about a minute in, the charm broke on the bear and he came at me. I had a little distance so I tried charming again and just as soon as it hits the bear. The bear happens to hit me and my spell casting is interrupted. I start to cast root and same thing happens, casting interrupted. I turn to get some distance from the bear and the bear and wolf in the back cave attacks me. I tried casting root again and casting interrupted again. I run a little to get some distance to recast root and the spider kills me. I never made it past the trap in the ceiling but the spider killed me?

Now I was able to get another rez but right now, I don't know if I want continue the bear pits. It's great experience but it's almost as if something goes wrong and you can't gain control again, you are dead.

If I head back, I will get a Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap because its the quickest way to get out of any bad situation. I'll also see about bringing someone with me for backup.

High risk, high reward :)

Bummey
10-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Part of the fun of the bear pits is how the danger keeps you on your toes, keeps you from becoming complacent and lazy. Much like the raptors in timorous deep. It's all too common to snooze on boring camps and lose your concentration and attentiveness. If you fuck up or slack in these places it will ruin you, and make it hard to get a rez, which ideally keeps you engaged and paying attention.

it fun. good camp. good exp.

Expediency
10-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Back cave up top has a bugged mob. I usually dont mess with those solo. Mobs fleeing up the stairs is a death sentence so watch out for tha too

bigjeff100
10-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Part of the fun of the bear pits is how the danger keeps you on your toes, keeps you from becoming complacent and lazy. Much like the raptors in timorous deep. It's all too common to snooze on boring camps and lose your concentration and attentiveness. If you fuck up or slack in these places it will ruin you, and make it hard to get a rez, which ideally keeps you engaged and paying attention.

it fun. good camp. good exp.

Ugh, raptors.. It's always the low point when that stupid named raptor pops and screw's my quad up!!! And he drops nothing!!!