PDA

View Full Version : What Level to Start an Alt?

Arakash
10-08-2018, 07:13 PM
What level do most folks on P99 start playing an alt seriously?

I've been on this server for over a year (I think) but I don't play as much as I'd like, so my necro is still in his mid 30's. And, while I wouldn't mind taking him into the raid levels, I've been itching to try another character.

An untwinked melee seems more challenging (and tedious) than a necro, perhaps not as cool, but still a melee seems to have a bit less sure of the outcome of many battles.

Anyway just wondering.

mattydef
10-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Personal preference tbh. I have about 8 characters and still get the alt bug and honestly its totally random. I can get inspiration from a book, movie or even another character on p99. Once i come up with a cool sounding race/class and backstory (i also have a lot of fashion in mind as well) i usually just create the new character, sometimes i stick with them and sometimes i end up stripping them for another new char, lol.

Maliant
10-08-2018, 07:20 PM
I focused on getting my necro to 60 first. Then I farmed seafuries until I could fund a monk with a fungi, tinker bags etc.

ScaringChildren
10-08-2018, 07:23 PM
I made alts throughout my main's journey.

Usually when I get bored.

Depends on the class though. You can level a druid to 34 and port to a majority of destinations, make some money, and gear up an alt.

Expediency
10-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Once your main gets high enough level that you have to sit around waiting for an exp group, you are ready for an alt for sure.

Trelaboon
10-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Just whenever you want. There’s no “right way” to play EverQuest. Whatever you find fun, sounds like the best way to play

Caillou
10-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Evia
10-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Once your main gets high enough level that you have to sit around waiting for an exp group, you are ready for an alt for sure.

Supaskillz
10-08-2018, 09:18 PM
I hit 60 on my rogue before I made an alt

loramin
10-08-2018, 09:23 PM
When talking about alts, you really need to distinguish between twinked and untwinked. This type of alt:
I've been on this server for over a year (I think) but I don't play as much as I'd like, so my necro is still in his mid 30's. And, while I wouldn't mind taking him into the raid levels, I've been itching to try another character.

is very different from this type:
I focused on getting my necro to 60 first. Then I farmed seafuries until I could fund a monk with a fungi, tinker bags etc.

The former are a distraction from getting level 60; the latter are what you do once you hit 60.

aaezil
10-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Crawdad
10-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Tethler
10-09-2018, 12:08 AM
I make alts when I'm tired of a certain playstyle or if I'm having to wait a lot of time to get a group. I can just log various alts and /ooc LFG once or twice and try a different character if there isn't a spot. That may also be part of the reason I don't have any 60's after like 4 years here. =p

dcrag
10-09-2018, 01:26 AM
first alt was after I hit 60, don't regret it

Yasi
10-09-2018, 04:15 AM
I usually start alts half way through lvl 1 after dying to a moss snake the third time.

Muggens
10-09-2018, 04:23 AM
Make an alt when u know u got a main

zodium
10-09-2018, 04:41 AM
Never!

tyrant49333
10-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Get to 60 - you'll have enough money then to gear an alt and it will be 50x less painful to level a geared alt

Phenyo
10-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Every alt you make increases your knowledge of game mechanics

Foxplay
10-09-2018, 12:10 PM

bigjeff100
10-09-2018, 12:20 PM
I have 3 toons.
-Took my first toon, from 1-60 (Druid)
-After first toon hit max level, i made a 2nd toon (Currently 56 Warrior)
-Created a 3rd toon after warrior hit 50.. Could no longer play the warrior much due to time/family/work aka life.
-Created a 3rd toon who i can play that won't rely on entirely on groups. (20 SK)

I think the best thing to do is have a toon for all occasions.. A group friendly toon, a solo friendly toon, and one that is flexible for both.

snyder43
10-09-2018, 12:25 PM
I think the best thing to do is have a toon for all occasions.. A group friendly toon, a solo friendly toon, and one that is flexible for both.

I think this is the best advice yet.

Bboboo
10-09-2018, 01:21 PM
alts start at level 1

also people who say toon over character are the fucking worst

ScaringChildren
10-09-2018, 01:46 PM

toon down the aggressive behavior, bud

Troxx
10-09-2018, 01:52 PM

This.

Most alts I’ve started have been once my characters reach a high enough level that I can’t find anything productive to do in a 1-2hr session. Sitting lfg for hours in seb able to play 5 different characters to fill most any group role isn’t fun. I’ll make a new alt to play after a quick stint of trying the lfg stuff.

Currrently playing a paladin and having a blast.

bigjeff100
10-09-2018, 02:31 PM
alts start at level 1

Noted- I will change my wordage to character going forward.

ScaringChildren
10-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Noted- I will change my wordage to character going forward.

Keep calling them 'toon', Jeff.

You can do what you want.

bigjeff100
10-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Keep calling them 'toon', Jeff.

You can do what you want.

Noted- I will change my wordage back to toon going forward.

ScaringChildren
10-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Noted- I will change my wordage back to toon going forward.

Wait...

Don't do what I tell you.

Do what you want.

Wait, don't listen to that either.

You can if you want to. It's your choice.

Unless you don't want it to be your choice.

bigjeff100
10-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Wait...

Don't do what I tell you.

Do what you want.

Wait, don't listen to that either.

You can if you want to. It's your choice.

Unless you don't want it to be your choice.

Welp, my brain is mush now.. Thanks guys..
https://i.imgur.com/rjxmiZT.jpg

LethClaypool
10-09-2018, 03:17 PM
For me it's usually when I hit a brick wall and don't have time for grouping. My druid hit 54 before I made my necro. Now that the necro is 55 and I'm back from a two year break I'm gonna focus on my 29 ranger. When I get tired of him I'll probably make something different like a shaman or enchanter.

It's different for everyone. I tend to focus on one character for a few months before switching.

Jimjam
10-09-2018, 03:26 PM
I like to have characters in teens, twenties, thirties, fourties and fifties grouping at any point in time. Preferably several for each band parked in different regions.

I also try to have someone with keys in sky and maybe a couple of other casual raid spots parked too (Kael, west tov or hot).

Even after all the time I've spent here I don't feel like I've done more than scratch the surface of the content.

clacbec
10-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Every alt you make increases your knowledge of game mechanics

on both blue & red, either,

Foxplay
10-09-2018, 05:23 PM
I have a 60 shaman, 60 enchanter, 60 druid, 60 bard, 60 mage, 58 cleric, and 27 Necro

Imo for you first character focus on 60. If you can't tough out your first 60 then your setting the prescedant in your head to "give up when it gets hard"

After you have one 60 you can do others at your own pace. I prefer to stick with it until they are max 60. The only reason I started the Necromancer prior to making 60 on the cleric is because I needed something to progress on when I can't find groups on my cleric, as I will only sit lfg for a short while before doing something else. As well as solo on my cleric is just terribly inefficient and for me a waste of time

So classes that pretty much require a group is completely understandable to have a side project to level when you hit a dry spell and can't seem to get into a group for a extended time

Arakash
10-10-2018, 05:06 PM
I like to have characters in teens, twenties, thirties, fourties and fifties grouping at any point in time. Preferably several for each band parked in different regions.

I also try to have someone with keys in sky and maybe a couple of other casual raid spots parked too (Kael, west tov or hot).

Even after all the time I've spent here I don't feel like I've done more than scratch the surface of the content.

I like this idea.

But, I think I will stay focused on my main since I do want to make 60. I may never get there but it's the journey right?

Thanks for all the input.