PDA

View Full Version : Is P99 green still one day a plan?

Pindrought
10-12-2018, 12:03 AM
Wondering if the plan is still to one day release a P99 green server starting fresh with a more proper timeline to velious.

loramin
10-12-2018, 12:24 AM
In a sense it's the entire point of the project, so it'd be pretty sad if they got this close to completing it and never finished.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's coming anytime soon ...

Swish2
10-12-2018, 01:15 AM
Daybreak is busy running H1Z1 and Planetside 2 into the ground at the moment, surprised they actually announced another EQ1 expansion.

Planetside 2 has had a bug for many months where you see a max suit firing continuously. It's not actually firing continuously but they haven't fixed it. They don't fix anything. Apparently the TLP EQ servers have been fairly lawless unless you do something seriously bad.

SOE sold to a bad buyer, that's for sure. Hopefully green makes it one day and we can enjoy the original timeline as intended.

dcrag
10-12-2018, 02:10 AM
From what I understand, if they don't want to 'split the server' they'd need some kind of draw - but isn't a fresh server with fresh progression always the draw? Surely you would lose (some) people from current blue/red99 but you would gain a massive influx of new people?

Bboboo
10-12-2018, 03:21 AM
moving to soon™

paulgiamatti
10-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Server population hasn't ever really been a concern for P99 insofar as nilbog & co. are worried about a decreasing blue playerbase - blue is overcrowded at the top end, so people moving over to the new server will alleviate a ton of problems. People will also still be free to multibox between servers, so we'll probably see an artificial increase in overall population as people keep one window up for blue while they play their new characters on green.

jolanar
10-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Has an actual dev ever even said anything about a green server?

This seems like one of those things that players speculated about so much that it started to become something a lot of people think is for sure coming when there is no evidence.

paulgiamatti
10-12-2018, 08:26 AM
I can't give you an ETA, but I can add some information.

Since Kunark development, we have used a rule-based system when developing content and code. What this means is the work needed to add/remove timeline features only has to be done once, and a rule applied for the era.

For example, when a server is released (original eq launch date: march 1999), rubicite and manastones should drop until ~October 1999. When a new server is launched, all that is necessary is to set the correct era rules. The era switches allow us to apply rules to spawns, loottables, items, spells, doors, tradeskills, etc so they may be enabled/disabled without even a patch.

It has been, and still is the plan to release a timeline correct server a certain amount of time after Velious is complete. Velious still lacks 2 zones; Stonebrunt and Chardok revamp. There are patches between and after those times which need to be developed.

Jan Jensen
10-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Try back in 5-10 years.

Dillusional
10-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Discord would have been a lot of work for a server that nobody would play on after a couple weeks. I remember Verant tried to open a discord server during kunark era, i think and they took it down after a week. Was super fun for an afternoon though.

If they do Green, I wouldn't expect it until after the last patch comes out for blue.

aaezil
10-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Try back in 5-10 years.

^

loramin
10-12-2018, 11:27 AM
*Perfectly topical quote from Nilbog*

https://i.imgur.com/oVG43Je.gif

rictus204
10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Has an actual dev ever even said anything about a green server?

This seems like one of those things that players speculated about so much that it started to become something a lot of people think is for sure coming when there is no evidence.

years ago sirken mentioned the idea of a green server on his stream, and the masses ran with it...

that server is just around the corner guys, hang on!!

ldgmo
10-12-2018, 11:52 AM
I’m more interested in when Chardok will drop. I took a break for a year and upon returning I thought, surely the revamp will be out by now. Nope.

Ghostly
10-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Have the Devs even given a remote idea about when Green or ever Chardok will drop?

loramin
10-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Have the Devs even given a remote idea about when Green or ever Chardok will drop?

They took seven years to complete Velious. If you do some math on the number of zones in Velious vs. the number of zones involved in the revamp ...

... and then factor in that changing existing content is harder (or at least figuring out how it works is harder, since there's so much other information about the other version of the zone to wade through) ...

... and then factor in that the devs may have burned themselves out on Velious and are doing Chardok 2.0 more slowly ...

... and then factor in that the devs probably have lots of stuff of stuff "on the back burner", and that they may well delay Chardok 2.0 to get some of that stuff done first ...

... then you'll have at least "a remote idea" :)

Ghostly
10-12-2018, 01:49 PM
They took seven years to complete Velious. If you do some math on the number of zones in Velious vs. the number of zones involved in the revamp ...

... and then factor in that changing existing content is harder (or at least figuring out how it works is harder, since there's so much other information about the other version of the zone to wade through) ...

... and then factor in that the devs may have burned themselves out on Velious and are doing Chardok 2.0 more slowly ...

... and then factor in that the devs probably have lots of stuff of stuff "on the back burner", and that they may well delay Chardok 2.0 to get some of that stuff done first ...

... then you'll have at least "a remote idea" :)

So, never?

Erati
10-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Saw Green Server in thread title.

Came for the Loramin replies.

Left satisfied. Carry on!

rictus204
10-12-2018, 02:09 PM
So, never?

nobody ever said there was going to be a green server, somebody said it would be a cool idea to think about years down the road, and it was said pre-velious.

loramin
10-12-2018, 02:33 PM
So, never?

Well, they completed Velious didn't they? And presumably even with all the factors I accounted for, Chardok 2.0 still won't take longer than Velious.

So I'd say < 7 years for Chardok 2.0, which is certainly better than never. As for Green, there are still minor patches after Chardok 2.0 that need completing, plus that backburner stuff I mentioned, but I think 1-7 years after Chardok 2.0 is released is a good estimate.

I aim to please!

HippoNipple
10-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Can't wait for discord to open. It has been down for a while, it will probably be available any day now.

Muggens
10-12-2018, 04:22 PM

paulgiamatti
10-12-2018, 06:16 PM

The upcoming patch will include more than just Chardok 2.0 such as bug fixes, etc., but content-wise nothing else will take priority over developing Chardok 2.0. Just to quash any suspicions of custom content. I'm going to blaspheme against the devs and toss up some purely speculative predictions: if Chardok 2.0 is 2020, I'd put green somewhere around 2025, and custom content in the following years, if ever.

Fifield
10-12-2018, 06:27 PM
all i know is when they release green, even 5 yrs from now. i'll roll a gnome necro and play with all you hooligans over again cause EQ is great

Champion_Standing
10-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Still waiting for discord to unlock

aaezil
10-12-2018, 07:10 PM
That feeling when you have to speculate cause staff dont post progress

heartbrand
10-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Never happening, or if it does will be 7-10 years from now

rictus204
10-14-2018, 02:02 PM
why would they post progress about something they never said they were doing?

Bummey
10-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Cazic Thule revamp would be cool and good

Llandris
10-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Chardok is my trigger word

Toomuch
10-14-2018, 07:50 PM
As in, it makes you upset? Why?

Pringles
10-14-2018, 08:16 PM
Chardok is the bottleneck atm as I understand it.
The constant item fixes and nerfs after it's release makes it a nightmare to pin down details. There's other weird crap like variable spawn times at certain camps. It's just a mess. Godspeed DB devs

Prostatus
10-15-2018, 11:11 PM
Cazic Thule revamp would be cool and good

I LOVED this on live and it would be a Perfect fit for "Custom Content"

10 / 10

mickmoranis
10-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Try back in 5-10 years.

back?

...... back?

Asteria
10-18-2018, 05:06 AM
why would they post progress about something they never said they were doing?

I always suspected this might be the case but is this really true? :confused::confused: :eek:
I sure hope I will still be able to remember things like how to type and use a mouse when Green P99 goes live.

Bisonzabi
10-19-2018, 05:12 AM
Daybreak is busy running H1Z1 and Planetside 2 into the ground at the moment, surprised they actually announced another EQ1 expansion.

Planetside 2 has had a bug for many months where you see a max suit firing continuously. It's not actually firing continuously but they haven't fixed it. They don't fix anything. Apparently the TLP EQ servers have been fairly lawless unless you do something seriously bad.

SOE sold to a bad buyer, that's for sure. Hopefully green makes it one day and we can enjoy the original timeline as intended.

Let's not shift the blame away from SoE. Most people running TheyBreakGames were veteran underlings of people like Smedley running SoE before they went to find a new buyer. And regards to PS2, they immediately nose dived that game within the first year of its launch in 2012-2013. It really is a shame how it was treated because within the first few months it saw substantial use by people and then they fucked it up because SoE/DBG has always been a god damn mess of incompetent stooges that have no place in the game industry.

MandalorianGaming nailed it with this review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBLEP9dK-4o

rictus204
10-19-2018, 11:54 AM
I always suspected this might be the case but is this really true? :confused::confused: :eek:
I sure hope I will still be able to remember things like how to type and use a mouse when Green P99 goes live.

mmhmm, very true. Nobody ever said there was going to be a green server. years and years ago on a sirken super stream somebody was asking about custom content after velious, and he mentioned a cool idea would be a green server. Now here we are with people asking when this nonexistent server is dropping it... It's not. Have you ever seen somebody on the team talk about it, mention it? Its just a dream of these poor souls who have been trapped on the velious ice for years after a 5 year kunark stretch.

loramin
10-19-2018, 11:59 AM
mmhmm, very true. Nobody ever said there was going to be a green server.

It's literally the entire point of this project. You need to pay attention to dev posts more if you're going to make wild claims like "nobody ever said ..."*

* although as far as I know the staff has never actually called it the "green server" (or the "recycle server" for that matter); they've definitely talked about it though

rictus204
10-19-2018, 12:06 PM
you have a link or two for these posts i can gander at?

branamil
10-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Guys I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a volunteer project. How many people in the world are both interested and capable of programming obscure Everquest simulations for 0 pay? Maybe 5, 10 tops. If it does ever happen it will be like 2025 at the earliest.

loramin
10-19-2018, 12:12 PM
I can't find the original source of this quote, but:

I can't give you an ETA, but I can add some information.

Since Kunark development, we have used a rule-based system when developing content and code. What this means is the work needed to add/remove timeline features only has to be done once, and a rule applied for the era.

For example, when a server is released (original eq launch date: march 1999), rubicite and manastones should drop until ~October 1999. When a new server is launched, all that is necessary is to set the correct era rules. The era switches allow us to apply rules to spawns, loottables, items, spells, doors, tradeskills, etc so they may be enabled/disabled without even a patch.

It has been, and still is the plan to release a timeline correct server a certain amount of time after Velious is complete.Velious still lacks 2 zones; Stonebrunt and Chardok revamp. There are patches between and after those times which need to be developed.

(emphasis mine)

EDIT: I think it may have come in audio form, possibly from this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMZLka0sGhE&feature=youtu.be) (but I'm too lazy to watch the whole thing to find out)

rictus204
10-19-2018, 12:20 PM
well that would take the air out of my nobody ever said bit. alright, maybe you guys will get green in another 10 years.

loramin
10-19-2018, 12:24 PM
well that would take the air out of my nobody ever said bit. alright, maybe you guys will get green in another 10 years.

Exactly :)

Jimjam
10-19-2018, 01:07 PM

Seems an optimistic timeframe, but I'm looking forward to it.

XeroKill
10-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Timeline update: Asgard 4.0 first Vulak --> Chardok 2.0 --> Apocalypse --> Core raid suspended on Green 99 --> Green 99 launch. The world gets a reboot before your elf-lives do.

This made me chortle out loud.

Teppler
10-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Discord would have been a lot of work for a server that nobody would play on after a couple weeks. I remember Verant tried to open a discord server during kunark era, i think and they took it down after a week. Was super fun for an afternoon though.

If they do Green, I wouldn't expect it until after the last patch comes out for blue.

Fake news. That's not what happened with the discord server. It was a honey pot to test bugs and exploits. There was hackers running wild pretty soon after it started and it ruined the server.

Pindrought
10-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Fake news. That's not what happened with the discord server. It was a honey pot to test bugs and exploits. There was hackers running wild pretty soon after it started and it ruined the server.

Could someone explain what a discord server is?

Evia
10-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Could someone explain what a discord server is?

Discord is a chat program like skype or teamspeak but 1000x better.

rictus204
10-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Timeline update: Asgard 4.0 first Vulak --> Chardok 2.0 --> Apocalypse --> Core raid suspended on Green 99 --> Green 99 launch. The world gets a reboot before your elf-lives do.

getting back to raiding any day now!

Pindrought
10-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Discord is a chat program like skype or teamspeak but 1000x better.

I know about that, but it sounded like they were talking about something else. What would a discord server have to do with hackers?

Quizlop
10-19-2018, 04:27 PM
I know about that, but it sounded like they were talking about something else. What would a discord server have to do with hackers?

The Discord Server that they're referring to was a limited run hardcore, full loot PvP, permadeath, Everquest server.

The hypercompetitive nature is what lead to an increase in hackers or exploiters to gain an edge on the server.

TekkieEQ
10-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Try back in 5-10 years.

;););)