PDA

View Full Version : West Commonlands missing

GlassDeviant
10-15-2018, 05:06 AM
Using P99 (eqemu_installer_files.zip) and the RoF2 client, I am getting the message "Unable to load world: Everquest cannot find the zone file 'commoms' in the directory..." and I appear to be missing commons.s3d and commons_obj.s3d as compared to an Underfoot (with missing files added) client. Can I use the ones from the Underfoot folder? I notice some of the other files are slightly different, though I think it's only the text files where the details for crystals were added.

My Underfoot commons.s3d is 2,118,585 bytes and commons_obj.s3d is 2,775,232 bytes, if anyone can compare it to a working RoF2 that isn't missing these files.

I may be missing some Rivervale files too, as I couldn't click the PoK stone to Rivervale which was why I was going through the Commonlands in the first place, but it didn't generate an error like this one. Edit: Nope, Rivervale files present and accounted for and are the exact same number of bytes between my UF and RoF2 folders.

paulgiamatti
10-15-2018, 05:58 AM
You're going to experience difficulties using anything other than the Titanium client for P99. Also, the EQEmu server install files are not P99 files. See the Getting Started Guide (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211699) and the Project 1999 Guidebook (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651) for more info.

GlassDeviant
10-15-2018, 07:06 AM
I DLed that eqemu_installer_files.zip file from github, and the server was named something with "PEQ" before I customized it, is that not the Project 1999 server?

Anyhow, I only run this locally for now and the guide I used for setup (which told me where to get that eqemu_installer_files.zip file) said to use anything from UF to RoF2, so I went with RoF2. I guess I will repost the question over at eqemu forums, as I am only interested in running my own server, whether or not I let anyone else on it.

Oh and I copied the files from the UF client and it seems to be working so far.

fadetree
10-15-2018, 07:53 AM
That does not sound like the P99 server, mostly because as far as I know you can't get the P99 server. Sounds to me like you installed just the latest vanilla EQEMU server.

Bummey
10-15-2018, 11:57 AM
You need the Everquest Titanium client. You can buy it from a gouger on ebay for like $200, or get the warez from the buccaneer cove.

bigjeff100
10-15-2018, 12:03 PM
I always use this guys files.. Works every time, just need a program to mount the files. Windows 10 has that option, or Daemon's tool.. Good Luck! Can confirm just used these files again to reinstall on my laptop.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/459361/for-anyone-looking-to-join-project-1999-but-do-not-have-the-disks

Cen
10-15-2018, 12:17 PM
I bought my discs when I visited a bay recently on vacation. Though the guy who sold it to me wore a tricorn hat and was very weird and also he forgot to take my money. You might try a similar transaction.

loramin
10-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Guys, GlassDeviant is either a troll or extremely confused; he doesn't need Titanium. As we learned in a different thread, he's set up his own EQ Emulator, but for some bizarre reason he's posting here, not understanding that P99 has nothing whatsoever to do with his own personal installation (other than the fact that it also uses EQ Emulator).

EDIT: Oh, he actually says as much in this thread too:

Anyhow, I only run this locally for now and the guide I used for setup (which told me where to get that eqemu_installer_files.zip file) said to use anything from UF to RoF2, so I went with RoF2. I guess I will repost the question over at eqemu forums, as I am only interested in running my own server, whether or not I let anyone else on it.

GlassDeviant: This shouldn't be so hard to understand: your posts belong on the EQ Emulator forum, not here. This forum has nothing to do with private EQ Emulator installations (or any EQ Emulator installations except the Red an Blue P99 servers).

In all honesty, if you can't grasp the distinction between a piece of software and a server that runs that software, I'm not sure you have the necessary technical skills to setup your own EQ Emulator instance, just because it's a fairly technical process. But if you have any chance of learning, it's on EQ Emulator sites, not here.

GlassDeviant
10-15-2018, 03:02 PM
I worked in IT for 30+ years, I know the difference between a server and a server. As in...SQL Server is Microsoft's server software, which runs on whatever choice of server hardware you are able to run it on. That's the nature of the client/server architecture that the whole game is based on.

My only confusion was the difference between P99 and EQEmu, of which I am aware now. Much thanks to those who were helpful.

Canelek
10-15-2018, 03:39 PM
SQL Server is a RDBMS.

(hope this helps)

loramin
10-15-2018, 03:57 PM
SQL Server is a RDBMS.

(hope this helps)

I was going to say that, and make a distinction between a database server and "server server" software like EQ Emulator, Apache, or IIS ... but GlassDeviant has "worked in IT for 30+ years", so I'm sure he already knew that :rolleyes:

P.S. "30+ years" is a long freaking time. It not only means you were around before the Web had Javascript, it means you've been doing this since before the web itself even existed (or at least became popular outside of scientific circles).

Suffice it to say I'm skeptical that someone who has actually "worked in IT" for so long (and not just carried cables or done other menial labor) would use MS SQL Server as an example of a server in the context of a conversation about EQEmulator (or would confuse P99 for a generic EQEmulator site in the first place).

But really GlassDeviant's IT abilities or lack thereof are none of my concern; I'm just glad he seems to finally understand that this site has nothing to do with his personal emulator installation. Hopefully he'll get bored of playing with himself on it and come join our wonderful elf simulator community :)

GlassDeviant
10-15-2018, 04:58 PM
SQL Server is a server software that serves database queries. MSIIS is a server software that serves web page requests. Everquest requires two pieces of software to run, the client software on the gamer's computer and the server software that tracks the activities of all the characters being played, along with the npcs and mobs and tells the clients what is going on in the "world", i.e.: "serves" that information to the clients. The client-server concept is an architecture that serves many purposes, pun notwithstanding. You can even have software that is both client and server, which is what game server software really is, because it is a client to the database and a server to the software on the gamer's computer. It's not that complicated.

My confusion about the nature of P99 was just that, I did not catch that P99 is a custom server not available for other people to run, only for them to play on, and it's not like it is spelled out on the home page of the site. It says precisely "Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server", which EQEmu also is.

Instead of being all rude and condescending, Loramin, perhaps you could have been a decent human being and straightened that out for me without all the backhanded comments. Thankfully not everyone here is like that. I've tried to be patient, both in public and private, but you've taken every opportunity to be a jerk that you could find, and then tried to play friendly like there wasn't anything wrong with that. I'm actually glad this is the wrong place for me to be posting, with people like you around.

Sayonara,

Canelek
10-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Your position doesn't require much knowledge of SQL Server, apparently. That's cool, but you may want to refrain from proclaiming knowledge beyond your means.

Good luck with that West Commonlands server software though. ;)

aaezil
10-16-2018, 12:47 AM
Welcome to p99 forums every post you make will get “jerks” responding. The worst of them are confined to rnf but some post everywhere.

Canelek
10-16-2018, 01:49 AM
Welcome to p99 forums every post you make will get “jerks” responding. The worst of them are confined to rnf but some post everywhere.

Ahhh, hello Lhancelot!

loramin
10-16-2018, 10:46 AM
SQL Server is a server software that serves database queries. MSIIS is a server software that serves web page requests. Everquest requires two pieces of software to run, the client software on the gamer's computer and the server software that tracks the activities of all the characters being played, along with the npcs and mobs and tells the clients what is going on in the "world", i.e.: "serves" that information to the clients. The client-server concept is an architecture that serves many purposes, pun notwithstanding. You can even have software that is both client and server, which is what game server software really is, because it is a client to the database and a server to the software on the gamer's computer. It's not that complicated.

My confusion about the nature of P99 was just that, I did not catch that P99 is a custom server not available for other people to run, only for them to play on, and it's not like it is spelled out on the home page of the site. It says precisely "Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server", which EQEmu also is.

Instead of being all rude and condescending, Loramin, perhaps you could have been a decent human being and straightened that out for me without all the backhanded comments. Thankfully not everyone here is like that. I've tried to be patient, both in public and private, but you've taken every opportunity to be a jerk that you could find, and then tried to play friendly like there wasn't anything wrong with that. I'm actually glad this is the wrong place for me to be posting, with people like you around.

Sayonara,

You're right, I could have been less of a jerk. See, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about in the RnF thread: RnF corrupts people even in other forums :p

But at the same time, you made an incredibly obvious mistake that you don't need to be an IT expert with 30-years of experience to avoid (In my 4+ years here I can't remember a single other poster confusing P99 for EQEmu: not one). You then made multiple threads, and in each of those threads people politely told you that you were mistaken (once they figured out what was going on at least), but you ignored them. Then when you finally did realize your mistake, you proudly proclaimed your expert IT knowledge, while saying something that a 30-year IT expert would be unlikely to say, which just makes your post look like doubling down on your confused posturing.

Still, none of that necessitated me being an ass, and I apologize. Good luck on your EQEmu explorations, and I was serious when I said that I hope you try out P99 instead of playing with yourself in a solo EQEmu installation.

heyokah
10-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Loramin is mad for some reason. Hope this helped.

Asteria
10-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Loramin is mad for some reason. Hope this helped.

At least he has his /moan :mad: emoji posted prominently on his avatar pic to reflect his seeemingly default and often pervasive mood here on the Forums. ;)

Asteria
10-16-2018, 06:06 PM
You're right, I could have been less of a jerk.

Still, none of that necessitated me being an ass, and I apologize. Good luck on your EQEmu explorations, and I was serious when I said that I hope you try out P99 instead of playing with yourself in a solo EQEmu installation.

CONNIE FRANCIS: WHO'S SORRY NOW? (1958) - LIVE TV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ws60MDF7OY)

This is a taped recording from a 1958 TV airing of the very lovely and very talented Ms. Connie Francis. Well, thanks for apologizing to that OP with the odd behavior, Loramin. :)

Bill Roach
Bill Roach
2 years ago
That girl had God given talent .. And went thru hell on her life ..and is still alive . the very fact that Connie Francis is not in the Rock and roll hall of fame shows that the system is truly rigged!

"Who's Sorry Now"
Who's sorry now
Who's sorry now
Who's heart is aching for breaking each vow
Who's sad and blue
Who's crying too
Just like I cried over you

Right to the end
Just like a friend
I tried to warn you somehow
You had your way
Now you must pay
I'm glad that you're sorry now

Right to the end
Just like a friend
I tried to warn you somehow
You had your way
Now you must pay
I'm glad that you're sorry now

Servant
10-16-2018, 08:11 PM
IT is a pretty large beast. It's entirely possible to work in the industry for 3 decades and be competent in your niche within it, without having developed more than a layman's understanding of database architecture and the various flavors available. Elitist much?

Wonkie
10-16-2018, 09:13 PM
At least he has his /moan :mad: emoji posted prominently on his avatar pic to reflect his seeemingly default and often pervasive mood here on the Forums. ;)

lhance ran away before we could fully corrupt him. and lor just isn't that interesting, can we do you instead? ;)

Canelek
10-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Look, slamming someone who obviously was out of his element may have been a tad mean, but one should refrain from claiming knowledge over something that is not in his or her skill set.

Mead
10-17-2018, 01:16 AM
Most of the time loramin doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. He just excels in being able to throw a lot of words together making him seem smart. He also nuthugs on most of the staff here more than baler so they will probably give him a free pass for trolling server chat.

Unless it's a luclin or ip exemption thread, most people are pretty friendly around here. Off topic and rnf not so much.

Hope this helps.

loramin
10-17-2018, 10:44 AM
lor just isn't that interesting

I'm really not :(

Most of the time loramin doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. He just excels in being able to throw a lot of words together making him seem smart. He also nuthugs on most of the staff here more than baler so they will probably give him a free pass for trolling server chat.

But apparently I'm interesting enough for Mead to fixate on :)