PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Why do you play Everquest?

Sonderbeast
11-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Having an interesting conversations in rAnTs AnD fLaMeS and I genuinely want to know how the community of p99 spends MOST their time. I'll try to give exhaustive options, but if I miss yours then post below.

bigjeff100
11-02-2018, 02:54 PM
As in, how do we spend our time in game?

Evia
11-02-2018, 03:00 PM
I play because even tho its hella dated in a lot of ways, its also deeper than most games. Ive been playing off and on for 18 years and still havent experienced everything. It feels like a world inside a world where as other mmorpgs feel like a game emulating a real world. Honestly incredibly surprised no MMO developer has taken what EQ did and built off it. Everyone just copies wow and their theme park style mmo and its a damn shame.

Red Dead Redemption 2 gave me more of a 'world within a world' feeling than modern MMOs and I personally think thats why ppl view mmorpgs as a dying genre. Its only dying because literally every developer is missing the point.

Canelek
11-02-2018, 03:01 PM
I played as a SK back in the day. All raiding and not so much for having alts, so it is fun to play the other classes. But, I specifically play P99 due to my old Fires of Heaven friends. Of course, they are gone now, but P99 kind of stuck for me.

feniin
11-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Crippling addiction. I don't even do anything about 90% of the time I'm logged in.

Frudrura
11-02-2018, 03:13 PM
For the risk.

I like having to depend on myself to pull through. To try and have all the bases covered. To do things that not a lot of people have done or do or will do in general. I am not really into raiding as it is mostly superficial bullshit to me. To me raiding is about standing around EC tunnel and having people "marvel" at your items. I would rather someone marvel at how well I am able to pull something off technically than some pixels I won at a raid. It seems that in this game though, vanity is the ultimate objective. Also, I generally like to play in a way where I am not bothering other players and ideally they aren't bothering me. I typically try to accomplish the latter by just going to places that most people can't get to easily or won't even try to get to.

I try to group but the main issue I have with grouping is there aren't a lot of players that want to risk anything. I think this is because a lot of people just (maybe) have limited time to play, and they don't want to spend 60% of their playtime traveling and doing corpse runs. This is why I love soloing. I can go solo, and fuck up, over and over and eventually (hopefully) come out on top at some point. And at this point, it is like I mastered the content and it is time to farm and then look for the next place to go.

Sorry if this is offensive.

bigjeff100
11-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Originally came to P99 to relive my experience as a kid, as we all did.. And it's evolved multiple times through the years.
-Started with wanting to complete everything i didn't as a kid.. Get a toon to 60, acquire an epic. Done and done.
-Moved onto, twinking an alt for raiding (warrior)
-Joined a raid guild, and left raid guild after i realized i don't put in enough hours to compete
-Came to a halt at 56 when life kicked up dust.
-I now find joy in new quest lines, adventuring to new zones and seeing new places and things
-Meeting new folks
-Buffing and helping newbs
-Helping with events
-Searching zones for random named mobs, killing, and distributing gear to youngins.

But I can see this the beginning of my conclusion to EQ. These are my final days. And it gets easier and easier to forget about EQ through the day. Or go a weekend without logging in. Stay tuned for that awesome post from me one day that will say- "GOING AWAY GIVEAWAY RAFFLE". Happy Friday ya'll! Play for whatever reason you want! Just be happy and healthy about it!

Jimjam
11-02-2018, 03:23 PM
My dopamine circuits were programmed by eq in my teenage years, resulting in a dependency on said game over social engagement when stressed.

enjchanter
11-02-2018, 03:26 PM
For me, I mainly play because Im obsessive and like to try to be the best. I main an enchanter and most of my time is dedicated to either helping my friends / family accomplish their in game goals but more so becoming a better enchanter day by day.

I love consistantly soloing tough content. I fell in love with enchanting by mere accident. I made my enchanter simply to fill more roles in the chardok aoe groups but while i was getting him to 60 I realized how super fun the class is and I took it and ran with it. My ultimate EQ goal is to make the short list for great enchanters some day when the box is either dead or i give up the habit all together and thats what keeps me logging in.

But i also raid because who doesnt want to look cool while they kill sentient frogs and stuff ? :D

Supaskillz
11-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Can't pick multiple options so I picked none

Hideousclaw
11-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Play with 4 RL friends, 3 of which played Live from Launch until after PoP. We got the band back together and its nice to group up and do random stuff (the 5 of us taking out Ixi. Duoing Sol B Giants, nameds and other fun stuff).

It has just been really fun. Plus the bulk of us are in same guild so we get to raid together and experience some of what we didnt get to experience in high school. Really fun times with RL friends and new in game friends.

kaev
11-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Absurd to make the choices exclusive, probably very few players for whom only one applies. Props for bush/towers option tho, got my vote.

Sonderbeast
11-02-2018, 03:37 PM
what you do most - reading is hard

Wonkie
11-02-2018, 03:44 PM
i like to help deprogram ppl who escape from the raiding cult

Sonderbeast
11-02-2018, 03:46 PM
i like to help deprogram ppl who escape from the raiding cult

that would be other

Danth
11-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Good idea making the new thread. That discussion was both off-topic for the thread and decidedly NOT rants-and-flamesy (meaning it was an actual discussion).

Danth

aaezil
11-02-2018, 04:06 PM
I mean 9/11 though

kaev
11-02-2018, 04:08 PM
what you do most - reading is hard

there is no most, changes week to week, month to month, guild to guild

Sonderbeast
11-02-2018, 04:21 PM
there is no most, changes week to week, month to month, guild to guild

you picked the troll option didn't you

ScaringChildren
11-02-2018, 04:27 PM
where's the option: "to pick up chicks"?

Sonderbeast
11-02-2018, 04:30 PM
where's the option: "to pick up chicks"?

I don't play I just troll on forums

Spoonerism
11-02-2018, 04:31 PM
I don't actively play but when I do log in, I usually just log in to my druid and port people, buff low levels in Steamfont and other easily able to port druid areas, as well as hand out 50pp or more to low level players to help them out.

I do it because helping people makes me happy, playing games makes me happy, and being the depressive person I can be sometimes, it helps take the edge off knowing I helped make someone's day better, even if it is just a game.

Sonderbeast
11-02-2018, 04:39 PM
I made a mistake lol, grouping w/ friends doing anything ELSE

fuck could a mod pls put this into a pOll kthx

ldgo86
11-02-2018, 05:06 PM
I don't actively play but when I do log in, I usually just log in to my druid and port people, buff low levels in Steamfont and other easily able to port druid areas, as well as hand out 50pp or more to low level players to help them out.

I do it because helping people makes me happy, playing games makes me happy, and being the depressive person I can be sometimes, it helps take the edge off knowing I helped make someone's day better, even if it is just a game.

This. I usually just sit at the noob ramp in FOB half assedly power levelling lowbie lizards.

kaev
11-02-2018, 05:07 PM
you picked the troll option didn't you

roger that

Absurd to make the choices exclusive, probably very few players for whom only one applies. Props for bush/towers option tho, got my vote.

First six have all been "most" at multiple times. No high-end raiding, but waiting for yet another rez after eating yet another DT in Sky on my paladin, or even more so sitting/healing thru various raid grinds on my cleric, ought to qualify as wall-licking. Very little porting for pp on my druid as too much like work not enough like play, but sold a lot of human cultural armor back when it was worth something along with other profitable crafted stuff so gonna call that "other services".

Tenderizer
11-02-2018, 05:08 PM
I'll try to give exhaustive options, but if I miss yours then post below.

I had to vote for myself but I really could of chosen most of those options.

branamil
11-02-2018, 05:09 PM
I play for research. Every item a raider has a mental breakdown over a virtual item I log it in my diary

Tenderizer
11-02-2018, 05:12 PM
(meaning it was an actual discussion).

scary aint it

aaezil
11-02-2018, 05:33 PM
I play for research. Every item a raider has a mental breakdown over a virtual item I log it in my diary

I voted that option too

Sonderbeast
11-02-2018, 05:59 PM
you might think research is a joke but with all the rygar and loramin posts i figured it could be a thing.

AbstractVision
11-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Other - It makes me feel young again. Nostalgia. What do I do in the game? A little bit of everything. I PL newbs. I raid. I port for plat. I farm items and MQs. I solo mobs to see what I can accomplish. (Best so far is a solo ice burrower kill at 56 on druid) I make new friends all the time, just to watch them get burnt out and leave without giving me their accounts. The one thing I don't do is grind. I've been playing since 2011 and I still haven't hit 60, only halfway through 58 so far.

Psyqo
11-05-2018, 11:23 AM
I said Other. I got back into the game to level and go back into old zones and completely stomp the mobs that gave me trouble 18-19 years ago. So my answer would be "Nostalgia".

Bbeta
11-05-2018, 11:29 AM
I play project 1999 because in classic everquest you experience a community driven game. I do not play everquest live because there is no community anymore.

I hope that someday I can join the project 1999 community with my monks again. I hope someday I get to enjoy that again.

tsuchang
11-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Meza play solo mose da time.
I usually play somewhere I can afk camp and read.
Grouping isn't good for me. I don't play well with others. I get misunderstood in my sarcastic comments and folks think I'm seriously a horses bum, which I am.

Octopath
11-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Where is fashion quest option?

Phenyo
11-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Only mmo worth playing anymore

Atmas
11-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Guilds outside of A/A raid without licking walls.

Nisse
11-05-2018, 04:17 PM
EQ is p fun I guess

Tethler
11-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Where is the "Book not up" option? Get with the poll meta.

For real though, grouping for xp and loot while chatting and having a good time with elf-pals.

beargryllz
11-05-2018, 10:57 PM
My DM had to go on hiatus for 3 months while his wife crapped out a kid

I had to have my RPG fix and rerunning Baldur's Gate for the 306347th time didn't cut it, so I decided to install Everquest and roll my dwarf warrior on p99 instead

Achromatic
11-06-2018, 08:21 PM
To experience all the content I missed out on back in the day. EQ has so much content, exceptions, and variety it takes a long time to get through succesfully. But it really is a delight to go through it all because it was expertly crafted IMO.

Glain
11-06-2018, 09:46 PM
I enjoy helping new people get to know the game better.

Hodor_
11-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Hodor

7thGate
11-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Research is definitely my favorite aspect of the game. If you include offline time spent on EQ building spreadsheets, trying to look up and correlate information from non-twiki sources and planning, its my main time spent as well, edging out weekly raids with friends at this point.

Digging to uncover how mechanics interact, learning things that are not recorded on alakazahm, running tests and forming plans around that information are some of my favorite things to do on this server.