PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my ignorance, but...

MostleeDead
11-13-2018, 10:19 PM
I have a few potential issues about installing my EQ Titanium Edition (discs x 5). First, I have a Windows 10 laptop with little to no lag using regular EQ. I'm missing all but three existing expansions and just came back to play after an 8 year time out from playing. P.S. my laptop got hacked a few months ago thanks in part to the June Windows 10 update. Ended up wiping the whole thing and reinstalling some of what I had before. The ram is 10 GB total and HD has over 800 GB left to use, so that's good.

I am really stoked about Project 1999, having seen fine examples of it on YouTube. I came back to EQ to find that most of my tradeskill supplies are tied up in eviction crates. I would have to put down real money to buy the kind of funds required to "buy back" or recover those crates. Too bad they don't accept platinum or doubloons; got 'em!

I digress. I know I'll be starting from scratch anyhoo. I just don't want to do the installation wrong. Windows 10 (to me) is possibly the worst version I've experienced as yet. Any thoughts would be helpful and I hope to help others who may have to get close to pulling what little hair they have left, out. :eek:

Menset
11-15-2018, 06:45 AM
No advice on Win 10, but I found my firewalls / anti-virus software to take some effort to get through. With that in mind, those like to blow away dsetup.dll so I learned to keep a backup copy of it that I call dsetup.0ll in a different directory. That way, I can just copy and rename it instead of having to do a complete reinstall.

With the firewall, when it blocks EQ99, just open the block log and find the switch that allows it to run. That is the easiest way to get through the firewall issues after you first to the basics of not blocking certain directories and urls.

Make sure to read through all the installation tips.

Bbeta
11-15-2018, 07:09 AM
Are you looking for advice on signing in to P99? Because it sounds like you installed titanium through the discs and logged on to the live servers. You need to change the EQ host file. In order to log into the Emu servers. There's plenty of links and helpful hints in the getting started thread.

The number one rule of the server is do not use real money transactions, you may find them online but if you do buy Platinum. You will be banned. Second biggest rule is do not two box.

And after reading your post I'd assume you've never tried Windows Vista, IMO that was the worst

MostleeDead
11-16-2018, 01:07 AM
Are you looking for advice on signing in to P99? Because it sounds like you installed titanium through the discs and logged on to the live servers. You need to change the EQ host file. In order to log into the Emu servers. There's plenty of links and helpful hints in the getting started thread.

The number one rule of the server is do not use real money transactions, you may find them online but if you do buy Platinum. You will be banned. Second biggest rule is do not two box.

And after reading your post I'd assume you've never tried Windows Vista, IMO that was the worst

Actually, I haven't inserted the discs yet. Thanks for the info. The things that could be purchased are on the regular Everquest game, those silly rewards of 500 points you can get for paying real money to play, OR you can add real money funds to that marketplace to purchase more points to use. I used to pay to play, but stopped once my things weren't selling in the bazaar any longer. I made quite a "profit" in the day from trade skilling, oh well.

I wouldn't dream of "buying plat" and I've already read the rules. I've never sold my account items (like Howard Wolowitz did on Big Bang), and I've never purchased items with real money. I did find out the hard way that those eviction crates found on merchants were empty; only took one of the five tokens of reclamation to figure that out. Big duh on my part. Since those tokens are expensive and limited to what they can do, I wish they were not no trade.

Anyway... enough said about old Everquest. Project 1999 is different and doesn't have all that mess, I'm assuming. I'm just inexperienced when it comes to looking around for files in Windows 10.

Issar
11-17-2018, 12:17 PM

You clearly never experienced Windows ME...

Maliant
11-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Your post is confusing as to what you want advice for.

Basically you can run P99 on a potato.

And yes, IMO, current EQ, including the progression servers, are garbage.

Welcome to Project1999, the best classic EQ experience you can get in the modern era, albeit still a far-cry from classic. It’s still almost as addicting once you get involved, play responsibly.

Muggens
11-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Basically you can run P99 on a potato.

Been trynna do this but I think my setup is wrong. Do I mash it first? Its boiled of course.

Issar
11-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Been trynna do this but I think my setup is wrong. Do I mash it first? Its boiled of course.

I think you have to mash it first, then you can make it look like a cloud. Then you have a SaaS based game client.

MostleeDead
11-17-2018, 10:36 PM
French fried please. I'm in the game now and have learned how very nice peeps are in game. Thanks for your help all.

Bbeta
11-18-2018, 04:17 PM
You clearly never experienced Windows ME...

Linus? https://youtu.be/TLgRryt2ZtE. Lol

Issar
11-18-2018, 06:59 PM
French fried please. I'm in the game now and have learned how very nice peeps are in game. Thanks for your help all.

Awesome. Welcome to the server!

Issar
11-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Linus? https://youtu.be/TLgRryt2ZtE. Lol

That’s hilarious! I’m actually familiar with Linus but had not seen this. I was thinking that the video was a good history lesson on Vista, but the ME mention at the end was priceless.

Bbeta
11-18-2018, 07:44 PM
That’s hilarious! I’m actually familiar with Linus but had not seen this. I was thinking that the video was a good history lesson on Vista, but the ME mention at the end was priceless.

it had me laugh out loud literally and made me think of you. it was priceless. he released that video yesterday

Issar
11-18-2018, 10:44 PM
it had me laugh out loud literally and made me think of you. it was priceless. he released that video yesterday

Doh, I didn’t even check the date on the vid. Perfect timing!