PDA

View Full Version : No xp for killing a merchant?

Ankou
12-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Hey, quick question. I killed a blue con merchant yesterday and received no exp. Did it twice to test. Is this as intended? I could have sworn that I'd recieved xp for killing goblin bartenders in the past, so assumed all merchants would yield exp.

stebbins99
12-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Hmm, interesting! I know that I got EXP for killing the *banker* months back in HHK-- possible that bankers are different, though. Curious to find this one out!

Swish2
12-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Hmm, interesting! I know that I got EXP for killing the *banker* months back in HHK-- possible that bankers are different, though. Curious to find this one out!

Careful, that's zone disruption ^^

Merchants aren't supposed to give loot or XP afaik

stebbins99
12-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Yo Swish! Yes, we didnt' plan on killing the banker (it's a pain when she's not up)-- a monk trained her and a bunch of guards to the ZL and we got agro'd. We were just killing the two guards and bard near ZL.

She was the easiest one of the bunch to kill, somewhat surprisingly. Good to know about merchants + exp, I would vote for bankers to also be exp-less!

Pringles
12-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Sadly not. The world would have breathed a tad more openly during live with so many more 'monsters' to murder. Of course the upside is akin to broken window theory. There is no incentive to kill merchants so no one does it. This leaves them a mostly unmolested faction. Probably put into place to prevent griefing.

You can clear out other player character's junk from a merchant by killing him. So not completely useless.

ZiggyTheMuss
12-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Hey, quick question. I killed a blue con merchant yesterday and received no exp. Did it twice to test. Is this as intended? I could have sworn that I'd recieved xp for killing goblin bartenders in the past, so assumed all merchants would yield exp.

Goblin bartender (assuming you mean Sol A of course) is not a merchant.

Swish2
12-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Yo Swish! Yes, we didnt' plan on killing the banker (it's a pain when she's not up)-- a monk trained her and a bunch of guards to the ZL and we got agro'd. We were just killing the two guards and bard near ZL

Yeah it's an innocent thing, she's got to be the most trained banker (except maybe the ones in North Freeport). I've been in Highkeep before waiting for her to respawn, her assistant needs to assist :mad:

Maschenny
12-07-2018, 05:20 PM
It depends where you're hunting. If you were on kael faction, for example, you'd notice lots of the mobs people kill regularly are merchants and also give experience.

Ankou
12-07-2018, 06:32 PM
So the general rule seems to be that merchants don't yield exp? Thanks for the info.I was thinking of the bartender in runneye. Can't confirm for sure that he gave xp, but I thought he had. I might have to take an appropriate level character there sometime and test.

loramin
12-07-2018, 06:39 PM
So the general rule seems to be that merchants don't yield exp?

It seems more like the rule is any NPC on a merchant faction (or at least an old world merchant faction) doesn't yield XP, but merchants which are on normal faction (eg. goblin merchants, merchants in Kael) do yield XP.