PDA

View Full Version : Don't be afraid of wizard ports!

Cen
12-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Just letting you all know, Wizard ports aren't so bad! Even the ones that are bad, aren't bad. I wanted to share some little tips about wizard ports, so maybe I (and other wizards) will stop getting the "oh sorry thought you were druid nm" messages when someone is trying to get a porter.

The Fay
Coming into greater faydark is a very safe place for even evils. The interesting things to note are the large amount of requests for steamfont I get as a wizard, who cancel when offered Gfay, and they are headed to mistmoore. The greater faydark port is a great access to Mistmoore, in fact the closest. You come in right at the zone to Lfay, and follow the wall to the right and youll be there quick. You can bind anywhere in Gfay, and its a great place to come in at. We only get this one port to the whole continent, but you're essentially dead center.

The Karanas
A high level wizard is your fastest route to Qeynos! MAKE QEYNOS GREAT AGAIN we need more newbies there. A quick evacuate after a west karana port and your at the zone line to Qeynos Hills. Requires a 57 wizard. Still, the WK port in saves a lot of time there if no high level available. Our NK port is very good for getting straight into SK.

Iksars love Wizards, EJ
Our EJ Port is incredible, because it has a very special feature. On your port in, without even requiring levitate, you can run directly west, causing you to scale the wall magically, and if you continue to run exactly west, youll enter right into field of bone. Its the fastest way to FOB, and no evacuate is needed to get up there. Just run west! Bam! Send homesick iksars back faster then anyone.

Skyfire is a 99.9% safe port. No, im serious
The dreaded wizard skyfire port. It is suicide. The wiki used to say not to even scribe it. I personally changed that. The skyfire port is a great tool for wizards, and very safe, with notes. Yes, you port in, you die.. unless you port in invisibly. Its absolutely safe, since 0 of the mobs see invis there. How does one port in invisibly? With an invis prime, of course. Finishing the casting of spells doesn't break invis. So invis your portee, and grab that little level 4 enchanter sitting next to you at the tunnel, throw him a copper, and have him begin to invis you. When he starts to cast, start to Tishans relocate. When the invis resolves, kick him out of the group.. but better to let him disband due to the group kick bug. Is your invis fading? Duck. Is your portees invis fading? Tell him if that happens to drop group and come back and get him. Its rare. Bam, easy Overthere, skyfire, whatever. Wizard safe.

Cazic Thule.. its basically the feerrott
I usually port in with people to CT, and tell them how great the port is so I can show them to the door. Its 10 seconds from the zone to feerrott, and positions you so well for most places. As my portee exits, I welcome them to feerrott. Oggok straight ahead, swamp right, mountains left.

Lavastorm - Okay, maybe Nektulous isn't exactly the same, but its free!
Most wizards have a staff of the scorned and we love the free clicky. Nektulous isn't so bad, its a short run into LS.

Need to stiff your wizard porter?
We won't mind it so much if you do it on: Nektulous, or the four translocates to NK, Dreadlands, Fay, or Tox. Those are reagent free, so when I get stiffed on those boops, I don't mind. Again, nektulous is a free portal spell for most wizards.

Need to go to the tunnel?
Don't ask me for WC. Ask me for North Ro! We can literally port you to the damn tunnel. Its a great one. I can even kick you there. if your aksing a low level wizard for WC or Ro, don't forget they dont get it until 39. However, nektulous is at 34, and its not very far! Your wizard can invis you for the bridge if the inks don't like you.

Wizards get there faster
My guildies might not like this, but sometimes ill even get *gasp* wizard bias.. Its a miracle when it happens, but someone will mention that we arrive faster for port requests and that's why they ask wizards first. Its true, because when we have a line of ports, we can usually punt half the people with TL's without having to do an entire zone over for every person, and when we get a line of velious ports, at the very worst, we are just the same.

Need to go to Misty/Rivervale?
Okay fine go get a druid.

EVERYWHERE ELSE?
GET A WIZARD, BABY

... but yeah if its skyfire still maybe try the druid first then do the invis thing, yada.

WIZARDS!

enjchanter
12-15-2018, 10:46 PM
This makes my level 24 wizard's heart smile

Swish2
12-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Can I get a sow to aid my onward journey? :p

misterbonkers
12-15-2018, 10:59 PM
when i first starting playing p99 (and consequently, everquest as a whole) i met someone who mained a wizard, and they got me incredibly familiar w/ their port locations. whenever i go for dial a port i always prioritize the wizards cause they indoctrinated me young

i still miss them...

Jauna
12-15-2018, 11:07 PM
sow please

mizzbiscuits
12-16-2018, 12:08 AM
https://youtu.be/bpgQSbwnWD0

Swish2
12-16-2018, 12:33 AM
sow please

https://i.imgur.com/6SLiA29.jpg

Zal22
12-16-2018, 09:40 AM
when i first starting playing p99 (and consequently, everquest as a whole) i met someone who mained a wizard, and they got me incredibly familiar w/ their port locations. whenever i go for dial a port i always prioritize the wizards cause they indoctrinated me young

i still miss them...

You are a 400+ lb virgin. You miss everyone.

LulzSeŠt
12-16-2018, 11:43 AM
sow please

Muggens
12-16-2018, 12:42 PM
WIZARDS!

High Five good post
Sincerely lvl 52 wizard

kempoguy80
12-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Over 50% of the time when I TL on my wizard I don't get tipped.

mccriddles
12-16-2018, 02:51 PM
you always end up smelling like patchouli when you take those hippy druid ports.

mizzbiscuits
12-16-2018, 02:52 PM
^true. Now if I TL, I get money upfront. The “lol my bad” and “whoops I didn’t know” gets old.

Jimjam
12-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Great post, one minor correction:

Need to go to Misty/Rivervale?
Okay fine go get a druid.

TL to bind works on account of Rivervale being the greatest bind location of all time.

Legidias
12-16-2018, 04:38 PM
TD firepots (pre nerf) would like to disagree with you

Swish2
12-16-2018, 05:35 PM
Great post, one minor correction:

TL to bind works on account of Rivervale being the greatest bind location of all time.

I wouldn't bind there based on TripAdvisor reviews, it's literally a crack den in that city apparently.

Expediency
12-16-2018, 06:56 PM
All self respecting erudite citizens should note the strong anti-Odus bias here and travel druid. Praise Prexus

stebbins99
12-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Hey Cen! Great stuff here.

For reference's sake, regarding this tasty tidbit:

"Iksars love Wizards, EJ
Our EJ Port is incredible, because it has a very special feature. On your port in, without even requiring levitate, you can run directly west, causing you to scale the wall magically, and if you continue to run exactly west, youll enter right into field of bone. Its the fastest way to FOB, and no evacuate is needed to get up there. Just run west! Bam! Send homesick iksars back faster then anyone."

Hah, is the wizard port high in the air or something that allows for "magically" scaling the wall? Can anyone in EJ do this if they get into the area of the wizard port?

I've had a few unsuccessful journeys home to Cabilis using the druid port option, would love to learn a bit more on this. For 30- and even 40-something lizards, this would be great information (as the run from the druid rings can be perilous with all of the stuff that can see invis in EJ).

In any case, thank you for the continued helpful posts here on the forums!

ScaringChildren
12-17-2018, 03:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6SLiA29.jpg

lol

Troxx
12-17-2018, 03:48 PM
I take whatever port I can find fastest.

Given the choice? For most ports I’ll choose Druid for a fresh sow. Jboots are cool but sow is so noticeably faster and lasts longer (zoning to indoor locations) that I still carry a sow potion on my jboot toons. A free sow saves me 6-10pp on a sow potion click.

Bardp1999
12-17-2018, 03:52 PM
I didnt realize Wizards were ever un-AFK long enough to actually do anything in game aside from leech XP from the contributing members of the group

Evia
12-17-2018, 04:08 PM
I didnt realize Wizards were ever un-AFK long enough to actually do anything in game aside from leech XP from the contributing members of the group

I lold

Crede
12-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Grouped with plenty of good wizards. Actually, BARDp1999, the last worthless member of a group I saw was a bard who played one song for 4 hours.

Legday
12-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Port to hate.
/disband
Gate out.

Vanech
12-17-2018, 09:12 PM
Hah, is the wizard port high in the air or something that allows for "magically" scaling the wall? Can anyone in EJ do this if they get into the area of the wizard port?

I've had a few unsuccessful journeys home to Cabilis using the druid port option, would love to learn a bit more on this. For 30- and even 40-something lizards, this would be great information (as the run from the druid rings can be perilous with all of the stuff that can see invis in EJ).

In any case, thank you for the continued helpful posts here on the forums!

There are a couple of spots along the cliff wall that can be traversed vertically along the edges of the terrain features. If you have ever played any of the newer Bethesda games it's similar to how you can climb damn near any mountain by abusing the seams connecting the polygons that comprise the map.

It basically boils down to a flaw in the games engine, which is normally mitigated by using invisible walls. Since the cliff runs through the middle of the map, the developers couldn't really block it off like the zone edges are.

It's a huge time saver, and I've used it to descend multiple times trying to get low leveled Iksar to CoM to loot no drop stuff. The stairs can be difficult to manage due to spawns at the top and bottom. Hope that satisfied your curiosity!

Cen
12-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Its just that the wizard zone in spot lines up perfectly to run west up the wall and into the FOB. Its super convienant.

If you dont know which way is west.. When you zone in, face the wall perpendicular. Run at it. You'll run right up it like it aint there. Boop

Jaleth
12-18-2018, 01:22 PM
When you zone in, face the wall perpendicular. Run at it. You'll run right up it like it aint there. Boop

QFT

knottyb0y
12-18-2018, 08:42 PM
I support the wizards!

Hibbs
12-19-2018, 02:30 AM
I'm not ganna lie I love seein a wizard porting at ramp in OT because I love going to Feltwithe for all my banking an reagent needs and spire is literally right there. It might even be closest town to a port in :D

Hibbs
12-19-2018, 02:34 AM

and just to add to what was already said most DaP and others porting carry bat wings if you ask for a lev you can scoot up most walls really ez

wittles
12-19-2018, 04:05 AM
I'm not ganna lie I love seein a wizard porting at ramp in OT because I love going to Feltwithe for all my banking an reagent needs and spire is literally right there. It might even be closest town to a port in :D

Rivervale/Misty is closer than Gfay/Felwithe.

Jimjam
12-19-2018, 04:19 AM
Rivervale lacks reagents, right? You have to goto one of this spooky human villages in minekith forest for those...

Swish2
12-19-2018, 04:22 AM
Rivervale lacks reagents, right? You have to goto one of this spooky human villages in minekith forest for those...

But you have a sow so you might get there faster? #realtalk

wagorf
12-19-2018, 04:32 AM
i always look for a wiz porter when i need to go EC

Hibbs
12-19-2018, 04:34 AM
Rivervale/Misty is closer than Gfay/Felwithe.

Yea Rivervale sucks when it comes to reagents. I don't think you can buy gems and stuff there. Also if the need is there its nice to be able to pick up some tiny daggers. I really enjoy running up to crushbone and drive by buffing all the players running around. I've def gone to Rivervale in a pinch but I'll always choose Gfay if the choice is there :D

Jaleth
12-19-2018, 03:51 PM
I usually had offered to a portee a drink of a sow pot, casted lev and asked if they wanted invis, especially if they were running across the DL's. I know it's not as convenient as druid buffs, but I tried to cater to their needs like I was asking for a port on one of my knights. I did not charge extra for the drink, if I took a loss (to a new player) so be it. If I was porting, I was providing a service.