PDA

View Full Version : P99 economy breakdown for a noob

Marceru
12-27-2018, 02:54 AM
Just like the title says im new to p99 and never got super deep in eq back in the day. Im a warrior so i feel like im gonna need a ton if money for the gear i want. What is the best way to make money in P99? Pleas and thank you

wittles
12-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Buy low, sell high

Wonkie
12-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Buy low, sell high

loramin
12-30-2018, 06:30 PM
What is the best way to make money in P99?

You have three basic options.

Option #1: become a tunnel rat. Spend insane amounts of time in the EC tunnel learning what hundreds of items sell for, then slowly buy cheap and sell high with progressively more expensive items.

Option #2: Get 60, join a guild (that allows you to sell loot won with DKP), raid a bunch to earn DKP, and then spend your DKP on high value items (which you then sell).

Those are both kind of extreme options. In the middle is what I think most players do, which is hunt mobs that drop valuable items. If you're interested in that "option #3" I highly recommend checking out the Treasure Hunting Guide (link in my signature).

fastboy21
12-30-2018, 06:49 PM
You don't need money, you need gear.

To get gear you either have to win it grouping, win it raiding or pay plat for it.

The good news, is we're a static classic eq server so you can buy pretty much ANY item in the game (loot rights, multiquesting, etc.) if you have deep enough pockets. Most of the group gear you need to get to 60 is also available very cheaply on p99...generally speaking folks are also helpful and will toss a few decent items to a genuine new player.

The bad news is that warrior is one of the worst classes to earn pp on and one of the worst classes to play without gear.

Get exp and level >>> get a few of the basic items with the plat you make as you level >>> join a guild that raids.

If you don't want to raid (why play warrior in the first place?) you probably will end up going the route of eventually making an alt for the purpose of earning some plat...(which is what many folks on p99 do) because what else do you do as a 60 warrior main if you aren't raiding?

heartbrand
12-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Roll on red99 and get full ntov gear in a week

Jimjam
12-31-2018, 01:32 AM
You don't actually need a lot of gear to get started, it's only really by the mid 40s you need half decent stuff, which is coincidentally when you can start finding such items out in the wild.

The real exception to this is weapons, but fortunately you can get some 1:2 ratio weapons very cheaply.

My suggestion is to hit level 5 focusing on decaying skeletons. Earn a set of cloth armour and use a rusty two handed if you find one for those one hit kills. Keep backpacks and sell any other cloth/ rusty weapon /bag you find. My favourite spot for this is at the North Ro inn.

You'll make dozens of pp from the cash drops. Use this to fund a sword of skyfire or green jade broadsword from east commons. Don't be put off if you see them advertised for over 100pp, people will sell them far cheaper than that.

You'll also collect backpacks full of bone chips. You can sell these for players in EC or(race dependant) turn them in for XP in Kaladim. You'll probably have enough to hit level 10.

Personally I'd hand in the bone chips and wear whatever raw-hide, ring or bronze armour I find while XPing. I'd the. Collect centurion belts and legionnaire pads in crushbone while grouping. These are also handed in for XP in Kaladim. You may prefer to sell the bone chips and centurion/legionnaire gear.

After your first 1:2 weapon your next port of call is a set of banded armour or similar (90pp looks the part and lasts till 30-40s), a second weapon (same options as before or a hammer of zek), velium Fire wedding rings (a few hundred pp each but lasts you to 60) and a 'cheap' haste (900pp when you hit 46 piggy back on a scheduled plane of sky raid to loot a rotting belt of concordance for haste instead... Also try to get the pieces to quest the sword Dagas).

By 37 keep an eye on /who all kithicor and ask high levels if you can join to loot any rotting Scimitar of Ykesha, and do similar with Steamfont but asking for the Trochillic's Skean. These two items frequently rot as a side of the rogue epic and are decent aggro if you haven't found better yet.

After you have your basic weapons/rings/haste sorted try pick up an entropy wrapped serpent spine for aggro. The Venomous axe of the velium brood is good for lower levels. 40+ you'll want a frostbringer.

From 46 get guilder and you can start getting your fingers into much higher tier velious items in the field which are far superior to anything that would be affordable to buy anyway.

If you really feel you've outgrown your banded before then consider questing some 'crafted armor' from South karana, looting Ry Gorr armor in eastern wastes or buying some crustacean armor. Jar sath armor is an option for iksar and other medium races that frequently rots in Karnors Castle.

I'd strongly suggest on finding a half decent pair of weapons and haste before improving your armor though.

Hibbs
12-31-2018, 01:45 AM
What if I told you class's can be fun without throwing thousand of plat at them at lvl 1 :D

Octopath
12-31-2018, 02:13 AM
What if I told you class's can be fun without throwing thousand of plat at them at lvl 1 :D

In a way it would be more fun

Coridan
12-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Also find someone killing guards, especially in Freeport, they usually let fine steel weapons rot which is both a good weapon and good money at level 1-5

Champion_Standing
12-31-2018, 01:09 PM
If you hate yourself you can tunnel rat for a few months, if you're ok with yourself you should just play and get groups and find loot and save up plat for things you want.

Daallee
12-31-2018, 05:14 PM
Also find someone killing guards, especially in Freeport, they usually let fine steel weapons rot which is both a good weapon and good money at level 1-5

People don't let FS weapons rot on guards. Maybe in Sol A when they're farming bricks

Frudrura
12-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Rip people off. Pretend you're giving them an awesome deal when you're really not. Make sure you act like you're super important and they can't do anything without you. If they don't respond, keep badgering the fuck out of them until they ignore you. Find them in the tunnel, open the trade window until they accept. Then if they don't want to pay your terrible price, send them a bunch of angry tells saying that they're stupid and they don't know what they're talking about even though literally there are like 5 other people selling the same item for like 50% cheaper at the same time.

As long as it is green on both sides of the trade window, you win, all other details are unnecessary.

Maybe get a drug problem too if you don't have one already.

kaev
12-31-2018, 06:12 PM
If you hate yourself you can tunnel rat for a few months, if you're ok with yourself you should just play and get groups and find loot and save up plat for things you want.

and make some friends along the way

kuuky
12-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Rip people off. Pretend you're giving them an awesome deal when you're really not. Make sure you act like you're super important and they can't do anything without you. If they don't respond, keep badgering the fuck out of them until they ignore you. Find them in the tunnel, open the trade window until they accept. Then if they don't want to pay your terrible price, send them a bunch of angry tells saying that they're stupid and they don't know what they're talking about even though literally there are like 5 other people selling the same item for like 50% cheaper at the same time.

Sounds like you are referring to a certain tunneler whose name escapes me but i'm pretty sure it starts with B. Someone help me if you would.

Nahilu
12-31-2018, 11:32 PM
To do PP at EC is easy )

Create a Bard Mule level 5 (selo)

Rule number 1 :Never tells ANYONE who your MAIN

Rule Number 2 : Never Tells ANYONE witch guild you are in

Rule number 3: No one is your friend , in business like in real life , money is money , there no friends.

Rule number 4 : You need nothing , people want your PP , give them your PP if you see there is some left to eat.

Rule Number 5 : You do money at buying and growing in value , selling is just a process can take 1 day , 7 days , 2 week , 5 week... Do not bother about selling that a rule at EC because if your impatient .... that a lost case.

My last padawan I teached EC was new on P99 I gave him 4k , in 2 week he bough a fungi , gave me back my 4k and went to play his shaman lvl 10 with fungi.

When he will need epic .... he know what to do.

Boutik

Qtip
01-01-2019, 12:33 AM
To do PP at EC is easy )

Rule number 3: No one is your friend , in business like in real life , money is money , there no friends.

Rule number 4 : You need nothing , people want your PP , give them your PP if you see there is some left to eat.

Rule Number 5 : You do money at buying and growing in value , selling is just a process can take 1 day , 7 days , 2 week , 5 week... Do not bother about selling that a rule at EC because if your impatient .... that a lost case.

My last padawan I teached EC was new on P99 I gave him 4k , in 2 week he bough a fungi , gave me back my 4k and went to play his shaman lvl 10 with fungi.

Boutik

Haha the broken english was the cherry on top. Couldnt make this thread up.

Nahilu
01-01-2019, 12:46 AM
Haha the broken english was the cherry on top. Couldnt make this thread up.

Ya people blame my broken English .... I'm sure you speak 3 languages as i do ...

Swish2
01-01-2019, 12:52 AM
To do PP at EC is easy )

Boutik

A smart tunnel fat cat doesn't use names like "Itemsforsale" or "Wallmarts" - from a buyer's perspective it's a red flag that you're not getting a good price (unless you can negotiate it down).

Seems lost on a lot of the big traders.

Nahilu
01-01-2019, 01:07 AM
A smart tunnel fat cat doesn't use names like "Itemsforsale" or "Wallmarts" - from a buyer's perspective it's a red flag that you're not getting a good price (unless you can negotiate it down).

Seems lost on a lot of the big traders.

always the same haters hun lol

I actually do not deny what i do , im not trying to hide it ....

I tell my customer max price they can sell , and what i pay if they need.

I do 20-50k EVERYDAY at ec 20k my crap day.

So I don't think I have something to learn from you.

Nexii
01-01-2019, 02:24 AM
Greed (Latin, avaritia), also known as avarice, cupidity, or covetousness, is, like lust and gluttony, a sin of desire. However, greed (as seen by the Church) is applied to an artificial, rapacious desire and pursuit of material possessions. Thomas Aquinas wrote, "Greed is a sin against God, just as all mortal sins, in as much as man condemns things eternal for the sake of temporal things." In Dante's Purgatory, the penitents were bound and laid face down on the ground for having concentrated excessively on earthly thoughts. Hoarding of materials or objects, theft and robbery, especially by means of violence, trickery, or manipulation of authority are all actions that may be inspired by Greed. Such misdeeds can include simony, where one attempts to purchase or sell sacraments, including Holy Orders and, therefore, positions of authority in the Church hierarchy.

In the words of Henry Edward, avarice "plunges a man deep into the mire of this world, so that he makes it to be his god."

As defined outside Christian writings, greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs, especially with respect to material wealth. Like pride, it can lead to not just some, but all evil.

Qtip
01-01-2019, 02:47 AM
This is an obvious troll. Lets not get to deep and get off topic.

aaezil
01-01-2019, 03:08 AM
Some people want to actually play everquest not stare at the tunnel 24/7 like some on here

ZiggyTheMuss
01-01-2019, 04:16 AM
Take the leap on whatever class you want to play. I have seen several shamans (the most expensive class to play) start fresh on the server and get all their coveted spells and gear by 60 ezpz.

Swish2
01-01-2019, 05:29 AM
stop being jealous because i sit on 2 million plat I've worked those plat ALL BY MYSELF for YEARS...

I have accomplish 8x 60 many epics , I don't deserve you'r shit message and hate.

always the same haters hun lol

I actually do not deny what i do , im not trying to hide it ....

I tell my customer max price they can sell , and what i pay if they need.

I do 20-50k EVERYDAY at ec 20k my crap day.

So I don't think I have something to learn from you.

Are we in RNF? No we aren't.

Also this venting isn't doing your tunnel reputation any good.

Troxx
01-01-2019, 11:19 AM

This.

Save your pennies. Xp on low end content that has stuff people want to buy (bone chips, orc belts, bear pelts etc) and save your money for buying the things that really matter. Completely new to p99 I had saved about 1800 plat by level 18.

For a warrior invest that money in a few cheap but effective weapons and cheap haste like silver chitin handwraps. Resist the urge to spend 50p here ... 100p there on cheap random upgrades until you have a few decent weapons and haste. The rest will fall into place over time.

ZiggyTheMuss
01-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Ya people blame my broken English .... I'm sure you speak 3 languages as i do ...

Lol!! If your other two languages are as poor as your English then that is really nothing to brag about. My guess is that you suffered a debilitating brain injury of some sort. It’s not just broken English, it’s a broken mind that you put on display when you post.

Arkanjil
01-01-2019, 03:32 PM
To do PP at EC is easy )

Boutik

Never change!

fastboy21
01-01-2019, 05:10 PM
When did being a tunnel quester become such a horrible thing?

They provide a service for the economy of Norrath.

Wonkie
01-01-2019, 05:56 PM

leeches killed george washington

Nahilu
01-01-2019, 06:01 PM

not alot understand that ...

if they were no flipper all items would worth 1pp and economy would be ruin and game will be boring.

just facts

Lojik
01-01-2019, 06:21 PM
not alot understand that ...

if they were no flipper all items would worth 1pp and economy would be ruin and game will be boring.

just facts

So you essentially make all items inordinately more expensive than they would be naturally?

Nahilu
01-01-2019, 06:32 PM
So you essentially make all items inordinately more expensive than they would be naturally?

not you / we maintain items prices at ec so when you drop something you can be happy it's still worth something.

Wonkie
01-01-2019, 06:34 PM

https://i.imgur.com/pUgTGb0.gif

Bbeta
01-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Option #2: Get 60, join a guild (that allows you to sell loot won with DKP), raid a bunch to earn DKP, and then spend your DKP on high value items (which you then sell).

dude, do you really think this is an option for someone just starting out looking to gear his warrior? lmao what planet are you from? To top it off i dont believe any top tier guild allows that. If you're 60 and looking to gear a warrior. you spend your dkpz on no drop items that are bis. /mindblown on option 2

Ella`Ella
01-01-2019, 06:56 PM
dude, do you really think this is an option for someone just starting out looking to gear his warrior? lmao what planet are you from? To top it off i dont believe any top tier guild allows that. If you're 60 and looking to gear a warrior. you spend your dkpz on no drop items that are bis. /mindblown on option 2

Option 3) start a competitive guild, reserve high-ticket items for ‘guild bank’, merge your guild with top-tier guild, keep the guild bank.

Bbeta
01-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Option 3) start a competitive guild, reserve high-ticket items for ‘guild bank’, merge your guild with top-tier guild, keep the guild bank.

what ever happened to kinswat?

Rainik Stormseeker
01-01-2019, 08:09 PM
You have three basic options.

Option #1: become a tunnel rat. Spend insane amounts of time in the EC tunnel learning what hundreds of items sell for, then slowly buy cheap and sell high with progressively more expensive items.

Those are both kind of extreme options. In the middle is what I think most players do, which is hunt mobs that drop valuable items. If you're interested in that "option #3" I highly recommend checking out the Treasure Hunting Guide (link in my signature).

Or, Option #3 - roll <Auld Lang Syne> ;)

wagorf
01-01-2019, 10:23 PM
In general, the difference in farming plat sub-50 and post 55 is like a job with min hourly wage vs. a full-time midlevel fortune 500 company.

One night of farming CE at lvl 55+, say you get a shit item like Breath o Harmony which sells for 2000. How many stacks of bone chips do you need to collect for make 2000? Factoring in the time it takes to sell that all that bone chips?

Conclusion: Farming plat sub55 or sub50 is the least efficient way to spend your time in EQ. Don't do it. You just end up becoming the lowest labor group in EQ economy.

fastboy21
01-02-2019, 12:04 AM
But it's about the journey...

Jimjam
01-02-2019, 04:24 AM
In general, the difference in farming plat sub-50 and post 55 is like a job with min hourly wage vs. a full-time midlevel fortune 500 company.

One night of farming CE at lvl 55+, say you get a shit item like Breath o Harmony which sells for 2000. How many stacks of bone chips do you need to collect for make 2000? Factoring in the time it takes to sell that all that bone chips?

Conclusion: Farming plat sub55 or sub50 is the least efficient way to spend your time in EQ. Don't do it. You just end up becoming the lowest labor group in EQ economy.

It always surprises me to see level 9s farming bone chips at the North Ro inn spot. Don't shy away from low level cash farms, but do the one that also rewards you XP too!

I guess the main exception to this is if you are levelling as part of a static and don't want to outgrow your friends. If that's the case skier secretly roll an alt ;).

wagorf
01-02-2019, 05:08 AM
It always surprises me to see level 9s farming bone chips at the North Ro inn spot. Don't shy away from low level cash farms, but do the one that also rewards you XP too!

I guess the main exception to this is if you are levelling as part of a static and don't want to outgrow your friends. If that's the case skier secretly roll an alt ;).

OP also started out a war, he's going to have a tough time accumulating wealth unless he finds a dedicated parter or group to farm cash with after level 55.

veterans are also constantly looking for better ways to make plat., and you will not see the super cash farmers and ultra-rich folks sharing their camps or knowledge here

wagorf
01-02-2019, 05:11 AM
But it's about the journey...

true...but it will be a journey where he constantly cant get aggro, or get out-tanked by monks and rangers, or unable to find a group ...

radda
01-02-2019, 08:58 AM
I leveled a warrior first so it can be done.

fastboy21
01-02-2019, 07:38 PM
true...but it will be a journey where he constantly cant get aggro, or get out-tanked by monks and rangers, or unable to find a group ...

Classic.

Jimjam
01-03-2019, 02:36 AM
I leveled a warrior first so it can be done.

Likewise, I levelled Jimjam to 60 using only gear he found; no twinking, no EC. It's a fun way to do warrior, scouring wiki to work out what items you'll be able to acquire and exploring the world.

Plenty of sufficient cash spots to XP at on your way up if you want to use EC too.

I maintain rangers are best tank 9-39 anyway. Their defence is on par with plate classes and they are able to stack a huge excess more AC than what is required to reach the point of diminished returns during these levels.

Likewise with monks, but they also have innate boosts to their tanking and dps on top of that (but nothing like taunt/flame lick).

A warrior will do fine with a set of banded armor, a sword of sky fire and a fist of zek which would set him back all of 200pp. Easily attainable by the time he is done with crushbone.