PDA

View Full Version : To the new players

Spoonerism
01-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Where are you all coming from?

Generally I run into old EQ players who know the game somewhat.

However, I have been running into a ton of people completely new to EQ as of late, which don't get me wrong, is great!

I love helping people. In fact I find myself helping others more than I actually level or earn items/money for myself (beyond porting for donations.)

However: If I help you when I randomly run into you when you are brand new and I give you some money (maybe 20p-50p), maybe an Item, Free port, or buffs... it does not mean I am now your best friend and want you to message me every time you see me on asking for more plat, items, free ports from wherever you ask me to pick you or your friend up, and power leveling/buffs. It is annoying and taxing. Especially for me because I put myself in that position a lot by going to starting zones for the purpose of helping. I also may not remember you because I may give out plat to 5 -10 different people in 1 day and also buff double, triple, or quadruple that, so please understand or just explain where we met!

Most people are great. I have made many long term friends by helping/playing and many of them out level me and out earn (platinum/items). However, they became long term friends because they didn't lean on me as their benefactor.

There are a lot of nice people on this server. My motto is good community = good server. There are some large guilds out there where you can get help. There are guides online too. I tell everyone about /location and how to use it. Use it.

I know EQ can be tough but please, I don't think people who randomly help you want to be continuously bugged for more help unless you truly need it in the form of a hard corpse run or some information they can easily supply.

All I personally ever ask is to pay it forward when you can. I help because I know how tough being a brand new level 1 can be. I help because it makes me feel good about myself. I help because I want the server population to grow/retain and for the community to be helpful, positive, and as kind as possible to each other.

TLDR: Don't beg. Pay the help you receive forward. Be awesome to one another.

Cen
01-15-2019, 02:31 AM
You know, it wasn't so much P99 as a return to live temporarily that I noticed this game has kind of a different kind of player base. I played so many MMO's since classic EQ up to velious, and usually, people don't say or do much with each other among very, very brief banter on occasion. When I tried out live again, someone sent me a tell asking if they'd like to group. I said i'm not sure getting my bearings just came back. They insisted, I backed up a little. They said okay but please send a tell as soon as you can, etc and kept on pushing harder, and harder, and it brought me back to a classic time remembering... people were more clingy in older games... about everything.. and kind of freaked me out :D no wonder I had so many solo classes.

In p99 I see it more then modern games but not too bad.

Swish2
01-15-2019, 03:28 AM
When I tried out live again, someone sent me a tell asking if they'd like to group. I said i'm not sure getting my bearings just came back. They insisted, I backed up a little. They said okay but please send a tell as soon as you can, etc and kept on pushing harder, and harder...

Sounds like a ranger was talking to you...

Naonak
01-15-2019, 06:50 AM
Nicely put..

Doesn't sound like live at all. Must have been a troll. As no LFG are found, lol.

Tecmos Deception
01-15-2019, 07:02 AM
There's a post on r/mmorpg highly recommending p1999 for it's classicness and lack of hand holding ATM.

Atychiphobia
01-15-2019, 07:07 AM
Also the youtuber Alexsensual has some following as well and that is where I came from :D

Hrothgar
01-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Dude. As someone with an endgame toon, a bunch of 50+ with epics, etc., and a bunch of alts currently in their 20s and 30s, I have never had such a hard time finding a camp as I have had in the last 2-3 weeks. My enchanter, for example, has only leveled from 30-31.75 this week - something that I used to do in less than an evening of duoing in Sol A - because i simply cannot find a camp spot or a group pulling enough mobs to get the job done. There were over 20 people in Sol A @ 11pm EST last night, all ranged in levels from 27 to 34. I PUGd in Sol A, finally, and didn't just bring a fellow hypertwink duo buddy! What an awesome thing to see!

I really feel like I'm back on my Gateway computer in 1999 camping two Gnome guards in Steamfont for an eternity just to hear that elusive 'DING'. Here's to hoping i can polish of that last bub-and-a-half sometime tonight =P I'm looking forward to it!

tiadashi
01-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Also the youtuber Alexsensual has some following as well and that is where I came from :D

Ya I have been watching his youtube vids post the actual streams its nice to watch someone play that has no idea about the game at all

bomaroast
01-15-2019, 03:38 PM
*plays mmo
*please dont talk to me

theonesler
01-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Yes! I concur with all of this. I am now a 29 Warrior and it's like 50/50 when I get on if I'm going to find a group within an hour or two... which is awesome AND sort of sucks, lol.

About a week ago I was hanging out in GFay and there were FIFTY FIVE people in zone... over half were levels 1-6... sort of blew my mind. But hey, I'd rather a server be over populated then be like Red!

Tecmos Deception
01-15-2019, 03:59 PM
*plays mmo
*please dont talk to me

Playing a multiplayer game and sometimes (or even never) wanting to strike up conversation with random people is in no way hypocritical.

Hrothgar
01-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Playing a multiplayer game and sometimes (or even never) wanting to strike up conversation with random people is in no way hypocritical.

SG solo chanter vid. The people have spake.

Naonak
01-17-2019, 05:10 AM
Dude. As someone with an endgame toon, a bunch of 50+ with epics, etc., and a bunch of alts currently in their 20s and 30s, I have never had such a hard time finding a camp as I have had in the last 2-3 weeks. My enchanter, for example, has only leveled from 30-31.75 this week - something that I used to do in less than an evening of duoing in Sol A - because i simply cannot find a camp spot or a group pulling enough mobs to get the job done. There were over 20 people in Sol A @ 11pm EST last night, all ranged in levels from 27 to 34. I PUGd in Sol A, finally, and didn't just bring a fellow hypertwink duo buddy! What an awesome thing to see!

I really feel like I'm back on my Gateway computer in 1999 camping two Gnome guards in Steamfont for an eternity just to hear that elusive 'DING'. Here's to hoping i can polish of that last bub-and-a-half sometime tonight =P I'm looking forward to it!

I guess I have been really lucky in the just over 30 days since I started playing. Just had my 30 day BD on 14th Jan.

I have never really had a issue with finding a group. I have had to wait sometimes 30 odd minutes, but groups normally look for me.

Had really nice and fast xp in Unrest MR/FR groups with WW giant fort groups until 30.

I found Unrest BM group very good till 35, then got invites at MM, CE groups, then grouped in CoM till 50, mainly Arena and Moat. Did spend 1/2 a level at 49 in SolB for a bit of a change.

commongood
01-17-2019, 05:14 AM
SG solo chanter vid. The people have spake.

I want videos made by No Man!

lagmont
01-17-2019, 02:36 PM
It's people like you who are the reason I decided to play this game. I'm a former WoW player and a hardcore raider and there was nothing "new" for me in Warcraft, even with new expansions it all just felt the same. I saw a video on youtube about p1999 and wanted to give it a shot.

Minutes after making my character on p1999 I got lost in the dwarf city, found another player who was kind enough to guide me to my guild master, and gave me some items. Then a few moments later a druid came by and gave me a bunch of buffs. An hour later I ran by the druid again and he rebuffed me and wished me luck.

After playing WoW for so long it's so weird to know that we're all on the same server here and someone I see isn't going to just disappear right next to me.