PDA

View Full Version : Shastak's Great Cruade - Chapter II

Lune
01-16-2019, 07:19 PM
Shastak's Great Crusade

Previous: Chapter I - The Sewer Baby (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314876)

---

Emperor Crush peered out the window of his keep, surveying the band of elves gathered across the moat laying siege to his citadel. His trusted consigliere, The Prophet, stood across from him. They shared a concerned silence, which was interrupted by the entry of a royal guard.

"My lord, I bring word from Lord Darish. He believes the elves are preparing to storm the gates and enter the citadel!"

Emperor Crush's eyes went wide, and he turned to shout at the guard. "What!? What of the legion I recalled from the Faydark?"

"Only a handful remain in fighting condition. The potent diarrhea that has afflicted our people has only intensified. Their children are going missing, only to turn up mutilated and defiled. Their food, fresh the day before, is found rancid and teeming with maggots. Families whisper of sightings of a shadowy lizard-man, cloaked in darkness, who attacks the young and feeds on beloved family pets. The people a--"

The guard was interrupted by the sound of a loud crash, followed by numerous footsteps and orc screams.

https://i.imgur.com/SdvgSQA.jpg

- - -

Chapter II - The Crushbone Campaign

The only thing more appealing to an iksar than brutalizing children is casual sex. And behind those, slavery. When word reached Cabilis that the Crushbone orcs were keeping slaves, Arch Duke Xog was personally offended. Only the iksar were fit to enslave other beings! And these upstart orcs were making a mockery of the prestigous institution of slavery! It had to end. But who was wretched and disposable enough to undertake such a hopeless and suicidal mission?

- - -

https://i.imgur.com/L6r1bbN.jpg

- - -

Shastak awoke, delirious and dehydrated, to the feeling of waves washing against his body. He scrambled onto the shore and collapsed. Much of his clothing was torn apart or missing, along with most of his provisions. His last memory was of hiding aboard an elven ship he had boarded in the Timorous Deep. Bits and pieces began to return to him-- being found by the crew, fighting for his life, jumping overboard... drifting for days.

Due to the Crusaders of Greenmist being an abysmally poorly funded branch of the iksar military, Shastak was required to secure his own passage to Faydwer. The road was dangerous and unkind, but he had eventually found his way to The Overthere, having narrowly avoided the clutches of a burynai pedophile ring and a band of hungry forest giants. From there he was able to stow away until his discovery off the coast of Faydwer.

Shastak arrived in Crushbone to find that it was already under attack by bands of elves and dwarves. The orc citadel itself was too well guarded for him to deal serious damage to the Crushbone by himself, so he had to resort to guerilla warfare and terror tactics. He lurked in the mountains and crags of Crushbone, striking orc patrols like an explosive device improvised out of pure brutality and malice. He collected belts from the slain orcs, and found the locals had a strange interest in procuring them. He funded his operation with the profits, selling his belts to elves and dwarves. Using his fledgling shadow knight abilities, he tainted the orcs' water and food supplies.

- - -

https://i.imgur.com/H0WnZLZ.jpg

- - -

Shastak took great pleasure in terrorizing the children of Crushbone. Word began to circulate among the orcs of a terrible man-serpent who lived in the mountains and preyed on the spleens of orc youth. Unable to penetrate the castle itself, Shastak ate babies like any good Iksar, leaving the remains strewn on Emperor Crush's doorstep.

- - -

https://i.imgur.com/r1iEM4k.jpg

- - -

The iksar knight was gaining strength. With each passing week his attacks on the Crushbone grew more vicious, his diseases more potent. He acquired a great deal of wealth plundering the orcs and trading with other adventurers, and through his interchange with them he was able to learn much about Faydwer. His contacts notified him that raiders were able to breech the castle and kill Emperor Crush along with most of his entourage. As instructed, they delivered his head in exchange for a crate of belts. Shastak would be able to report that he had slain Crush for the glory of Cabilis, and it would all be the same to Xog. His mission complete, Shastak gathered his treasure and documents and began his long journey back to Cabilis.

Bardp1999
01-16-2019, 07:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qKp898s.png

fan D
01-16-2019, 08:39 PM
really enjoyed your story, I think because Crushbone is my favorite zone of all time and I absolutely love all of the inhabitants of Faydwer. Would love to read some more creative stuff about BBM and some water goblins and stuff. well done!

good job on the cinematography to manipulate the world to look far greater than it is. had me suspending belief for just a brief moment. impressive

Muggens
01-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Nicely done! I agree with fanD and lulz

Pringles
01-16-2019, 11:54 PM
The titled typo is triggering me.

Lune
01-17-2019, 12:03 AM
The titled typo is triggering me.

Fuck now that I notice I'm triggered too

ScottBerta
01-17-2019, 01:49 AM
Bro, I saw Kingdom of Heaven already..

Trzzle
01-17-2019, 06:41 AM
Lune killin it. Nice subtle new map drop. Way better than those mentally ill stories in rnf.

Rygar
01-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Lune killin it. Nice subtle new map drop. Way better than those mentally ill stories in rnf.

... which you clearly read and secretly enjoy. You're welcome.

Stock map Lune! Small critiques: kelethin huts seemed a bit out of sorts to me, like the shading wasn't right with everything else. Maybe a bit too vector / clip art like?

Also, why change the look of the Greater Faydark spires? Messing with a classic look that every Norrathian can relate to and recognize.

Lune
01-17-2019, 11:51 AM
... which you clearly read and secretly enjoy. You're welcome.

Stock map Lune! Small critiques: kelethin huts seemed a bit out of sorts to me, like the shading wasn't right with everything else. Maybe a bit too vector / clip art like?

Also, why change the look of the Greater Faydark spires? Messing with a classic look that every Norrathian can relate to and recognize.

The maps are made with a tool that is fundamentally clipart, and had no appropriate "sprite" for the wiz spires or kelethin. These areas trouble me as well and going forward i'll probably remove the spires and shrink kelethin / remove the trees. My dream is that someday someone with artistic ability will draw new high-res maps. Hopefully these bastardizations will motivate them :)

Rygar
01-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Man, thought you drew all those buildings and stuff! I'm sure there's plenty of graphic artists around here to assist.

And when I said 'Stock map!' my damn phone auto corrected, meant to say Sick map!

Edit: You can probably take a screen capture of spires at the angle you want them and shrink accordingly. Can probably run through some photoshop filters or mess with color to get the look you want.

Lune
01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Edit: You can probably take a screen capture of spires at the angle you want them and shrink accordingly. Can probably run through some photoshop filters or mess with color to get the look you want.

That's a great idea

Zuranthium
01-22-2019, 10:37 PM
I loved your updated Kunark map, but this one is not as accurate. Steamfont and Butcherblock are both more twisty than depicted here and there is a clear divide between Greater/Lesser Faydark, whereas here they just seem like part of the same thing. Personally I look at the original maps as more of how the game world *should* be anyway, for example Greater and Lesser Faydark in-game should have their positions swapped.

Foxplay
01-23-2019, 12:17 AM
Loving these maps man keep it up

Imago
01-23-2019, 01:31 AM
This shit immerses me so much

Vanech
01-25-2019, 05:18 AM
Fun story! A journey to Odus next? Warrens, maybe? Sent to assassinate the tad that if allowed to mature would be like the Gojira of Frogloks?

The map is really well thought out and seems more accurate than the originals (Sorry Brad & Co.) but I feel like Unrest should be smaller in size, especially in comparison to Crushbone. The footprint of Unrest is approx. 300x600 while Crushbone is around 1200x800.

I gotta give credit for actually having Crushbone on the map, though. Since it wasn't represented on the original. Unless the city by Wayunder lake was supposed to be CB. But it could be Mistmoore, or a city that never came into existence, since the lake didn't.

Mblake1981
01-25-2019, 07:45 AM
/clap

Unless the city by Wayunder lake was supposed to be CB. But it could be Mistmoore, or a city that never came into existence, since the lake didn't.

Hmm, Wayunder Lake. Wonder what kind of monster would have lurked beneath its surface.

Vanech
01-25-2019, 09:48 AM
/clap

Hmm, Wayunder Lake. Wonder what kind of monster would have lurked beneath its surface.

The water Dragon (https://wiki.project1999.com/Faydedar) for the druid epic would have been perfect. It's got Fay in its freakin' name ffs.

Mblake1981
01-25-2019, 10:35 AM
The water Dragon (https://wiki.project1999.com/Faydedar) for the druid epic would have been perfect. It's got Fay in its freakin' name ffs.

Ok

replace the one in TD with a black water dragon the same size as Gorenaire.

Edit: Correction. A version like Harla Dar that can fly around the islands out there (no flying dragons?)

Vanech
01-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Ok

replace the one in TD with a black water dragon the same size as Gorenaire.

Or a prismatic water Dragon (in name) that can drop any of the various coloured scales needed for the other epics. Maybe an ultra rare drop that is melee class only that grants access to Miragul's highway.

Zuranthium
01-25-2019, 02:52 PM
Faydwer should have been a much bigger continent in-game if you look at the original map. It's actually wider across than Antonica according to that (realistically probably shouldn't be, but still). Steamfont should have connected to a zone called Elizerain Lake instead of Lesser Faydark, and Lesser Faydark should have been between Butcherblock and Greater Faydark. Then south of Lesser Faydark should have been two zones - Wayunder Lake and The Loping Plains. Hills of Shade should have been north of it, and then on the southeast part of the continent should have been Dragonscale Hills connected to Steamfont Mountains. I'd love to see a server that does all of those things, along with adding underground dungeons to the continent.