PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard or mouse clicks...?

Axlrose
01-17-2019, 03:00 PM
While tinkering with my hot button layouts for my interface, I have come to realize that as I have gotten older, I started using my mouse more for clicking actions and spells, save for when I am twisting songs with my bard and still double tap keyboard keys. Do people lean towards keyboard or mouse?

Thanks!

Twochain
01-17-2019, 03:05 PM
keyboard = iksar necro
mouse clicks = human necro

They're casting the same spells..... but iksar is min/max by a mile

enjchanter
01-17-2019, 03:14 PM
mouse is for movement, thumb buttons and keyboard for everyting else

Iksar_with_a_plan
01-17-2019, 03:54 PM
When I played EQ in the "golden days" of my youth, I clicked, clicked, clicked. I didnt know of any other way, But with the introduction of WoW and other various MMOs i realized keybinding hotbuttons is much more efficient. Especially with horizontal hotbars stacked x 4 or 5 at a time where if you position it right your placement of hotbuttons on screen can kind of match up to where you are pressing your keys for those actions. It just allows for my smoother gameplay in my experience

Vizax_Xaziv
01-17-2019, 05:12 PM
Depends on what class I'm playin' mostly. Grouping lazily on my Wizard or Mage? I tend to be a clicker.

bigjeff100
01-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Clicker here! Reporting in!

Muggens
01-17-2019, 09:01 PM
I use a razor mouse with a bunch of buttons. Works good but wanna get a new one with less buttons. The one i got now has like 1-12 side buttons mmo style.

Tips on a mmo mouse?(only for p99 use. I might try pantheon if it releases before i die)

Trelaboon
01-18-2019, 11:10 AM
I’ve always used my mouse to run/steer and then keep one hand on the keyboard for hotkeys

ScaringChildren
01-18-2019, 11:18 AM
Keyboard, although I leave less active spells on 7-0 keys

mattydef
01-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Clicking your spells with the mouse is absolutely acceptable in a game like p99. The only time I use the keyboard is when i'm playing something competitive where the extra quarter of a second can actually make a difference. Plus using the mouse on p99 to move sucks, I don't know how many times i've been completely turned around because the screen skips.

edit: I do use the keyboard to spam canni on my shaman though

Cen
01-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Analog actions are most efficient with an analog input. Digital actions are most efficient with digital inputs. Converting either way loses resolution or efficiency.

If you play a game with analog movement, an analog control works best. Most games have analog camera/viewing so use the mouse for that. Abilities here are all digital so a digital button works best.

Some games are built for two analog inputs. Only these games is a dual analog controller acceptable because dual mouse isn't a working standard. However a mouse is a better single analog input because the moment arm of the function is .. Well, your arm, which has greater resolution then your fingers.. Unless your sealed in a cast or have a shattered arm but working fingers ;p

planeofdreams
01-19-2019, 09:19 AM
keyboard = iksar necro
mouse clicks = human necro

They're casting the same spells..... but iksar is min/max by a mile

I got pretty good a couple years ago playing with the interface turned off, just using keyboard commands definitely ups the immersion. Normally though, I play with the mouse on my Iksar Necro, I just keep my menus close together and I've never had a problem. Not sure there is a real min/max value in the distinction since inputs have never made or broken my experience, failed hunts are usually human error and distraction for my part.

24kanthony
01-19-2019, 03:06 PM
I play on a laptop so I use wasd to move and the arrows to look up/down/left/right. Alt+# for my spells with a instaclick item hotkeyed for chain casting. Have an action key set for selecting things I aim at or to open doors. Only use the track pad a little when I have to sort items.
Took a week to get used to but, I've got 2 toons to 60 playing this way and wouldn't go back to mouse.