PDA

View Full Version : Teams PvP question

Cfullard
02-04-2019, 03:44 AM
This isn't meant to be bait, it's not meant to throw sand at Rogean and his team. This is more a question to see what the community as a whole thinks. I haven't seen a poll on this forum in regards to this, so I threw this one up.

http://www.strawpoll.me/17363927

DMN
02-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Heh. Red is already a barren wasteland, do you think they are going to want to host a permanent new server with an even riskier premise? Even in EQ they eventually scrapped the team PvP servers and merged them under the rallos rules. They kinda sucked BTW. It was just a constant zoneline campfest.

elwing
02-04-2019, 07:36 AM
Team pvp was the best... Luclin started to kill pvp teams and pop finished it through... The merge with other server was just the last nail in the coffin... It was dead for years already...

commongood
02-04-2019, 07:44 AM
I am not voting. I need a more "sitting on the fence" option. I am frankly unsure but leaning slightly towards 'yes'. Would feel insincere to choose one of the current yes-options.

DMN
02-04-2019, 07:51 AM
If was empirically the best they would have had a team PvP server instead of red and they wouldn't have merged under the rallos rules but with team rules. Nostalgia is a helluva a drug.

Pootle
02-04-2019, 08:44 AM
I started (and played for years) on Vallon Zek teams server. Was a lot of fun, and had some great experiences over the years.

However you really need a bigger population that I think would be interested to make this work.

Despite my fond memories, I really haven't the time and energy to go through all that again.

commongood
02-04-2019, 08:57 AM
When I played on live it was on Tallon Zek for like 5-6 years. We were very entrenched in an us-against-the-world mentality as a red server. "Bluebies are newbies" that kind of thing. I never thought playing on a blue server would ever be a thing for me.

Then I quit playing EQ altogether and for years all I had were my memories and fond talks around dinner tables with old friends. History became legend, legend became myth.

Then, 12 years later, I found p99 and have thought many times since playing on P99 blue "geez, how did I ever manage to play six years on a red server". While I did have some fantastic times and great stories I do wholeheartedly believe that EQ on a fundamental level doesn't work very well as a pvp game.

That being said, if there was a thriving population on red I'm sure I would eventually let nostalgia get the better of me and roll a char there.

kotton05
02-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Cringe.

Dajun5
02-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Tallon Zek rules > Rallos Zek rules

Meiva
02-04-2019, 12:02 PM
I really enjoyed P99 Red. Things tanked when Holocaust was forced to become Empire. People started giving up. It was a new EQ experience for me, and it was a blast. Felt like the Wild West in that there were fewer rules. You could be any kind of person you wanted to be. If the Red population was to climb again, I'd play.

White_knight
02-04-2019, 04:02 PM
I really enjoyed P99 Red. Things tanked when Holocaust was forced to become Empire. People started giving up. It was a new EQ experience for me, and it was a blast. Felt like the Wild West in that there were fewer rules. You could be any kind of person you wanted to be. If the Red population was to climb again, I'd play.

It's pretty much a baby blue server. So many rules to PvP that people run around with fraps at all times just to try get you banned if you step 1 inch wrong.

Here's a players petition video list he has:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVHpLjK6_NBdoyfN-jBCP4NKQhGImZ-Xd

Watch some of them and you'll scratch your head, and dead99 players wonder why no one plays on their server.

Vizax_Xaziv
02-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Played on TZ during live. Problems w/ "PvP Teams (race based)" are the following:

1) Dark/Evil Team races are so popular that by the time Kunark released the server had already transitioned from Shorts vs. Humans vs. Elves vs. Evils to Humas+Shorts+Elves vs. Evil. And the populations were roughly equal. I actually really liked this though and from a lore perspective it made alot of sense. Maybe not a true negative then!

2) By mid-Kunark the entire server became full-on "X-teaming." When one guild incorporates all 4 teams into their guild you cannot compete with them in PvP unless you do the same, as otherwise they will always have OOR healers that you cannot touch.

3) Velious end-game loot ends any competitive PvP. Once Guild-A reaches NToV before any other guild they essentially become impossible to contest as they gear up in 35ac/100hp/25sv all gear.