PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Input About Potential Change to Class Spell List on Wiki

radbeard
02-05-2019, 07:50 PM
hey. I've been working a bit on revamping how spells are displayed in the class spell lists but I wanted to get some input from people while I'm going through this process. I've mostly done wizard spells in this scratch space, that I link to below, (levels 1-50). I also did a smattering of necro and shaman spells. Please let me know what you think, particularly changes that might make it better. The better I can get it earlier in the process the less work it will take to revise. If people like it, or if we can come up with tweaks to improve it, i'll work on revising other classes as well. Thanks!

https://wiki.project1999.com/User:Radbeard/Spells

loramin
02-05-2019, 08:00 PM
I think the overall idea for providing a quick summary of each spell's effects (with more precision/detail than the current description column) is awesome.

I've already given you my feedback over PM so I won't repeat it, but speaking as a wiki addict myself I just want to commend you for taking the initiative here. I hope everyone offers positive and constructive criticism.

Triiz
02-05-2019, 08:17 PM
I always thought the Druid alternate spell list was the best way to do a spell list with it's addition of icons, spell info, and vendor areas, but I'm sure it would be a lot of work to do for every class.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Druid/Spells

radbeard
02-05-2019, 08:29 PM
I think the druid spell list is the most beautiful one I've seen. In my mind however it eats up too much vertical space for the class list, probably because of the height of the icon (this is just my opinion). Also as a preference I like to be able to quickly scan the "max effect" of spells, because thats just how I use the list. But I don't know how everyone else uses it.

The way i've done things certainly is a reflection of what I value, but I want to do my best to incorporate what other people want out of it.

BarackObooma
02-05-2019, 09:45 PM
I like your version! I hate when the current spell descriptions goes to level 65 in some of it's calculations.

Zuranthium
02-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Current version is better and more classic. Your version looks like a boring spreadsheet rather than something mystical.

loramin
02-05-2019, 10:45 PM
I hate when the current spell descriptions goes to level 65 in some of it's calculations.

Amen to that. When I was working on the buff lines page that drove me crazy, and there are probably a bunch of buffs on that page now that are off by a single point because I didn't do the conversion math from 65 down to 60 correctly in my head :(

Alemorikec
02-05-2019, 10:58 PM
I do prefer the more detailed version myself. I find the old "classic" style is too vague for me. Just my cents.

Balimon
02-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Look's good , I like it!

Zabbix
02-06-2019, 12:07 AM
Do what you like with the wiki styling. People will be to lazy for arguments 98% of the time.

Baileigh
02-06-2019, 02:09 AM
I approve. I hate the spell lists with the fire of 1000 hot white suns, but I'm also not going to be changing them so I swallow my hate and just do a lot of extra clicking to find the info I want.

The thing that would make it more useful for me is to either have a vendor name or better yet a link to the exact vendor page so when I want to go buy it I don't have to track that info down. I would be happy to go through the spells and provide that info to you so it's not *that* much extra work

bodenn
02-06-2019, 02:35 AM
Looks great, I like it a lot better than the old one. You are hereby nominated to complete the rest for all classes.

radbeard
02-06-2019, 02:55 AM
Looks great, I like it a lot better than the old one. You are hereby nominated to complete the rest for all classes.

great! I can't wait to see how big the raise is that comes with this new title.

Renad
02-06-2019, 08:52 AM
+1
Really like having the description of what the spells actually do right there to see without having to click on an additional link to get the details.

Para99
02-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Amen to that. When I was working on the buff lines page that drove me crazy, and there are probably a bunch of buffs on that page now that are off by a single point because I didn't do the conversion math from 65 down to 60 correctly in my head :(

Very few of them do you need to do the math in your head. Look up the spell on Lucy, go the "history" tab and scroll all the way towards the bottom. If the P99 wiki has the calculations listed for 65 there will almost always be a log on Lucy of something like this (from Forlorn Deeds)

2002-09-04 11:33 Changed Durationtext from 2.9 mins @L57 to 3.0 mins @L60 to 2.9 mins @L57 to 3.3 mins @L65

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=1712&source=Live

aaezil
02-06-2019, 09:05 AM
You need to add the spell slot and it will be good.

loramin
02-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Very few of them do you need to do the math in your head. Look up the spell on Lucy, go the "history" tab and scroll all the way towards the bottom.

Thanks, that's good to know ... but I'm too lazy to go back and fix everything now :D At worst a few buffs are off by a single point, and if anyone actually notices and cares they can fix it in five seconds (it's a wiki).

The thing that would make it more useful for me is to either have a vendor name or better yet a link to the exact vendor page so when I want to go buy it I don't have to track that info down. I would be happy to go through the spells and provide that info to you so it's not *that* much extra work

Here's the problem: some spells are sold by a lot of vendors (eg. most Int Caster have a ton of potential starting cities/places that sell their spells). So if you tried to cram, I dunno, eight or ten lines of vendors into each spell row, that would probably look ugly fast. Although maybe if you just did the city names and separated them with commas instead of separate lines it might work? I'd have to see it in action to have an opinion.

But what could easily work is if there was a separate page that listed all of the vendors in one place, and that page was linked to from the spell list ... and in fact that page already exists: it's the spell page itself! If you just scroll down to the bottom of every spell page it will have a list of vendors that sell the spell, and of course the spell page is linked from the spell list. It's one extra click to find what you want, but that's not too bad.