PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed with the GM event drops

Galahad
10-26-2009, 04:41 PM
What was the idea behind the loot? The drops were incredibly common and some of them won't even be replaced until Kunark. One item was a drop that two full groups of 50s would struggle with and it dropped off something a level 30 could solo.

GM event drops should be more quirky unique items. The items that dropped are - right now - the best loot on the server, some of them by a pretty significant margin.

Dolalin
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
You realize that in the glory days, GMs gave out ARTIFACTS for what were essentially roleplay quests, and to level 20s no less?

Seriously. Tempest in teapot.

President
10-26-2009, 05:01 PM
What dropped?!?!?!

Deathrydar
10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
What GM event?

Smashed
10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
You realize that in the glory days, GMs gave out ARTIFACTS for what were essentially roleplay quests, and to level 20s no less?

Seriously. Tempest in teapot.

Thats perfectly acceptable in my opinion. They were given out very rarely, and randomly, so everyone had a chance to participate. I wasnt in blackburrow so I dont know what level the monsters were. However...if they are too high they restrict it to high level people. If the monsters are low level, the high level people still just mow them down even faster. Thats always the difficulty with this kind of stuff. I wonder how many hybrids last night were just getting even more frustrated.

cassaruby
10-26-2009, 05:41 PM
disappointed. I deleted one of the things i got, just doesn't float my boat to wear or circulate stuff like this.

President
10-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Wow! Thanks guys who were there for providing us SOOOOOO much info for those less fortunate! Your awesome!

Kreigore
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Details are overwhelming. :mad:

Again, I'm not sure what dropped - but it should be reasonably in line with the server. What's the average level on the server?

If CoFs were dropping, then that'd be ridiculous. I doubt the server staff would allow something like that to happen.

So, someone who participated in the event, spill it.

-K

Aeolwind
10-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I was not around for the event, nor would I have been kosher with it for these particular items, but I was told it was all the off slot Rubicite from the WC Dark Elf Event(?) (Collar, belt, pauldrons, etc), GEBs, Silversilk Leggings and a few other odd and end drops.

With that said, we do have plans to pass out many of the artifacts. Probably not in their exact original manners as details are sketchy at best in some cases. But yes, you'll see a Shield of Qeynos, Staff of AlKabor, Butcherblock Hammer etc at some point.

Jify
10-26-2009, 06:49 PM
So those drops were not meant to drop? Totally agree they were overpowered and didn't belong in game yet. That and the event was canceled as we were heading in.. :(

Made for a sad time. :(

Somekid123
10-26-2009, 06:51 PM
It was in Blackburrow, a bunch of undead gnolls spawned throughout the zone, on my level 24 some were blue, others red, nothing between. They were all named Decayed Gnoll from what I saw [They didnt show on track].

I saw rubi arms drop, and golden efreeti boots or whatever, 9 Ac / 9 Wis / 9 Int, all/all.

I gotta agree with the original starter of this thread.

KilyenaMage
10-26-2009, 06:55 PM
The REAL tragedy, it would seem, was that is was an catered to the very few 40+ players on the server...oh well, that's EverQuest for ya!!!!

Kantan
10-26-2009, 07:02 PM
So let me get this straight they had a GM event and GEBs and rubicite dropped? Are you kidding me?:mad:

girth
10-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Thats pretty crappy imo. I don't recall GM events just giving out random AMAZING drops from other parts of the game. It was normally a bunch of cool but worthless junk items, and 1 legendary item.

I'm also disappointed that they spend their time on this stuff when melee are still broken.

Kantan
10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Girth I have been with this project since January and I am very surprised and disappointed. Who were the GMs that did this? I mean these are probably the first GEBs on the server.

I thought this was a classic server not free loots/EZ epics. All this time was spent making a classic server and then we do crap like this? We are less than 30 days into release.

Wenai
10-26-2009, 07:08 PM
I just want to say that I had nothing to do with it. I am also incredibly frustrated and annoyed.

KilyenaMage
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
not to mention it was in blackburrow where next to nobody is...yet for some reason there were tons of lvl 40s in the zone when the event started...hmmmmmm

Jify
10-26-2009, 11:26 PM
not to mention it was in blackburrow where next to nobody is...yet for some reason there were tons of lvl 40s in the zone when the event started...hmmmmmm

Was a mass movement Kilyena. I myself, along with some of my guildmembers where ported from Nektous/Freeport area to join in. :)

Can move pretty quick when you have a willing wizard/druid 8D

doraf
10-27-2009, 01:36 AM
damn, people complain about everything. It's a game and it is free to play. A few people got lucky and I'm sure it isn't going to upset the balance of the server.

Pyrocat
10-27-2009, 02:38 AM
I agree with the OP and Wenai. This event should not have been dropping rubicite and GEBs.

Tantalar
10-27-2009, 04:56 AM
The event was set up for a certain select few people. Even if you happened to be level 30+ you would still need to be grouped or be lucky enough to be a Mage/Shaman/Wizard. Clearly no thought about the hybrids either...

Pheer
10-27-2009, 05:42 AM
The event was set up for a certain select few people. Even if you happened to be level 30+ you would still need to be grouped or be lucky enough to be a Mage/Shaman/Wizard. Clearly no thought about the hybrids either...

some proof would be nice before you go making accusations like this

sure it was a badly put together event without much thought being put into it.. but to go as far as to say it was gm favoritism? thats a bit overboard

Kantan
10-27-2009, 05:43 AM
This goes back to the question why would we have an event like this and how does this event live up to the theme of this server? This is something one of those EZ servers would do.

Xzerion
10-27-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm completely disgusted with this also and had no part in its planning or execution.

Deemo
10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
/grabs his popcorn

Derazor
10-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Eboots were dropping even? Djarn is a mini raid in the classic world. Passing out Eboots off high 20 mobs for that small number of 35+ is stupid.

Epic fail.

JayDee
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
This server is fun

nilbog
10-27-2009, 08:57 AM
This won't be happening anymore..

Majyn
10-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us.

Outraged as you all might be, your complaints are drops in the bucket--

These items are available in the game right now. They will soon be widespread as CT is fixed and Doljonijiarnimorinar begins to fall to single groups. And let's face it... except for a rare few items that were removed for the reason (hi manastone), gear just does not unbalance EQ at this stage. (ZOMG, 9 WIS)

GM's, don't let this get to you. As much as Internet QQ is widespread, any forum is the gathering place for the whining. You will find the greatest concentration of complaints on a forum.

As any seasoned forum-goer can tell you, the forum is absolutely NOT representative of the general populace. As such, I think it's time I strike against this biased sample of the project 1999 playerbase.

The personal touch is what separates EQ from its inferior followers. It is what separates the Verant era from the Sony era. It was intense, immersive. GM events are precisely this.

Giving out items that people will have in a few weeks, or even months, anyway is not unbalancing. Keeping the right balance is the key, and here I take my lesson from Futurama--

As a GM, you don't want to interfere so much that people become reliant upon you for guidance and assistance. However, you don't want to be so distant that people stop believing in you...

As a suggestion, I wonder if more GM events are useful here. And I wonder if the players are gracious enough to respect you if you /broadcast that the current event is for players no higher than 20, for example. I guess if they aren't, you always have the #kill command. <3

Keep it up, Nilbog. Everything you(plural) have done here is supremely impressive; don't let these naysayers' fecal matter stick. I believe it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said something to the effect that no one can hurt you with words without your consent.

While there may be parts of Classic I'd rather never see return, GM events are definitely something to keep.

Caminy
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Totally agree with Majyn on this one.

Nytewind TP
10-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I see people just being upset because they either missed out on the event or didn't get the drops. I'm willing to bet that if the people that are complaining about the event GOT a drop then they wouldn't be here crying over it.

Kreigore
10-27-2009, 10:14 AM
While I love GM events and the idea behind them, I think GEBs may have been a little bit out of line. The server hasn't been live for a month yet.

And not to rain on anyone's parade, but a few GMs and developers themselves have expressed some level of "discomfort" with the GM event.

Was it a great idea to have a GM event? Yes. Was it a great idea to have GEBs drop? Probably not.

As mentioned previously, what's done is done - it's time to move on. What dropped is now in-game and at some point, will be circulating in the economy.

Put faith in the server staff to make a better call next time. This is a learning process in some instances. Keep it up!

Jify
10-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I see people just being upset because they either missed out on the event or didn't get the drops. I'm willing to bet that if the people that are complaining about the event GOT a drop then they wouldn't be here crying over it.

Hehe. I don't know about that Nytewind.

I don't know all the details of the event, I assumed from what I heard that it was cut short and stopped. If the GEB did drop from the "end" boss of the event, I'm totally cool with that. What I'm kinda uncool with is the fact they may have dropped from some trash mobs during the event. That's a pretty extreme trash drop.

I remember items like the Gold Threaded Tunic (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6971) dropping from GM events (Halloween werewolves!). They dropped as trash, very rarely. And from the "bosses" commonly (bosses being lvl 45+ and HARD). It's a nice tunic, great resist gear, and no drop.

I'd consider the GEB on par with that tunic. Except in this case they were easier to obtain, are droppable/tradeable, and are the first pair on the server. In a couple months, I don't think anyone would sweat over a pair dropping rarely off a GM trash mob. 3-4 weeks into server launch, you betcha.

As an aside, the GMs are doing a great job, the server is a blast! It sounds like this event wasn't meant to take place when it did, so that may be the fault here. Can't wait to see Halloween!

Villide
10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree with most of what you said Majyn, except for this:

GM's, don't let this get to you. As much as Internet QQ is widespread, any forum is the gathering place for the whining. You will find the greatest concentration of complaints on a forum.
From what I can see, some of the Devs/GMs are part of the "whining" here.

Somekid123
10-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Take back the items imo.

Derazor
10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I dont think anyone here is trying to say that GM events are a bad thing.

GM events occurring without consent of other GM staff and are OP and tradable I think is the key we are trying to avoid here and what the general populace is upset about - and really doesnt represent "QQ" which I think in itself is kind of a degrading comment to make.

Its the equivalent of saying "I dont give a shit what your opinion is, so Im going to put a label on you"

Tananthalas
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
FWIW I have no issue with GEBs being given as loot nor do I dislike GM events. If they did it once they will do it again in a different area. I'd rather see lots of GM events with cool items than have it happen this one time and that's it because people bitch and whine like they're five years old and their brother got a toy they wanted. I also was not there nor online and did not participate.

My suggestions would be that if the other GM's didn't know, make sure they do. Also do events all over the place and leave a little time for people to get there. Do it on varying hours, for those who don't play during peak. Early morning late night etc.

cassaruby
10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Facts and wrap up:
GM event items were alittle too good, and in poor taste (it was a mistake).
It didn't last very long.
It wasn't a castastrophe, nothing to worry about really.

Thread starter called it, GM's disappointed and we can move on now.

bopice
10-27-2009, 02:57 PM
I think it's cool that they had a GM event.

I could care less about the drops. I am happy for the people that got them.

If the GEB were dropping constantly that'd suck for people without ports, but that's the way it is. If only 2 or 3 dropped grats to them.

I mean it wasn't loot from Innoruk or Cazic-thule. Even then grats to the winners.

Matahari.

I applaud the gm's for running an event!! And thank you for the server!!!
Lets recruit more people! I've recruited tons and tons.

girth
10-27-2009, 03:04 PM
For the morons out there who cannot read:

most of the GMs seem mad and disgusted by this, this is not just a player base issue

AND somebody WHO GOT LOOT said they deleted the loot they got because they didn't want it in the world yet....now THAT IS A STANDUP GUY

You people who think this was a good thing, well, I just don't understand why you're playing this game - it isn't supposed to be a freebie server

Bubbles
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Not a single item that dropped had a proc effect, or was game imbalancing in the least.

There's been thread after thread about how AC is almost meaningless at mid-to-high levels, someone running around with rubicite arms isn't going to effect our happy little world one-iota.

Could it have been better run? Possibly. Could it have been planned ahead of time? Sure. But why get angry at someone for taking time out of their day to inject a little fun into the grind?

Relax. We all survived. :)

girth
10-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Fun for a select minority that includes loot from some of the highest level content in the game currently after advertising how hard and classic this is supposed to be is not really something most people want to just ignore and let slide.

I don't care about Rubicite, thats a low-mid level dungeon. But there is no way in hell loot from Lguk or Solb should be dropping from a GM event this early into the server.

The fact that somebody came on here and said he deleted some of the loot he got cause it was too powerful this early should be some kind of indication, this was stupid.

Otto
10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
The only items that dropped that haven't already been seen on the server were a few pieces of rubicite and the GEBS.

Rubicite would be all over the server i Cazic Thule pathing wasn't fubar.

Gebs was a little ridiculous, but it won't be long before we see one of those now too.

I don't think the items were out of line. I wouldn't have cared if stupid little items dropped either tho. That stuff makes GM events fun and goofy.

Goobles
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Keep kicking the dead dog people.

Supreme
10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I think having artifacts and "over powered" items when uniquely distributed as some flavor to the server.

Our server is very limited and very unique in its design. Do not try and compare what happens here to what happened in 1999, it just is not the same.

valdi313
10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Admins, please lets try to discourage people whining.
Just delete this thread please.

Dolalin
10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Deleting threads is a bad precedent. Just be firm when you know you're right, and don't cave or argue with retards. That's a better way to discourage whining.

Pheer
10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Fun for a select minority that includes loot from some of the highest level content in the game currently after advertising how hard and classic this is supposed to be is not really something most people want to just ignore and let slide.

I don't care about Rubicite, thats a low-mid level dungeon. But there is no way in hell loot from Lguk or Solb should be dropping from a GM event this early into the server.

The fact that somebody came on here and said he deleted some of the loot he got cause it was too powerful this early should be some kind of indication, this was stupid.

You're acting like fear armor was dropping or some shit. It was just a GEBs for christ's sake, theres no reason for some big controversy.

What are you expecting? A press conference where the gm in question apologizes to the server for leaking one set of eboots into the server early?

Smashed
10-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Obviously the items weren't that powerful, theres only a handful of items in classic eq where you actually can notice a power increase. The items aren't what the problem is (especially with ac being broken anyhow). The problem is it brings to doubt how future events will be handled. What might drop in them? Who will these events be aimed at? I don't want to blow things out of proportion, but I am still in the "getting to know you" phase with both this server and emulated servers as a whole. I would gladly pay 20-30 bucks a month for sony to run a classic server such as this, but I would expect the same professionalism. There are minor things that I am still getting used to, such as the fact that GMs argue with people in ooc. However, things like loot distribution from GM events is slightly more concerning. If players such as myself are investing time (and money once I am assured of its stability), then I need to know where the line is going to be drawn on a few issues.

That said, I am satisfied with the response from nilbog. Would love some elaboration however.

One additional note...events like this in Everquest tended to happen after expansions had been out for a long time and people were growing bored. The loot would often be near to or equal to some of the best single groupable loots in the game. I always tended to view this as them wanting to have a "catch up" event to get some of the slow people geared up before the next expansion came out and made it all obsolete anyway. We don't have the luxury of that many expansions.

Not a complaint, but just thought I would point that out. Also thought I would point out that not every (and in fact very few) events even handed out gear, much less top shelf single group gear. Nothing wrong with aiming the next event a little lower. Before AA's, having a lot of alts was how people stopped from becoming bored out of their mind with the game. Or God forbid, an actual new person to the server might show up, have the time of their life, and be hooked.

Goobles
10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
IMO the event should have dropped Kedge Robe, and Amulet of Necropotence.