PDA

View Full Version : Why Block of ore?

Puluin
02-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Anyone know what prompted this change?

I fondly remember on live these being a god send to pay for low level spells.

Can't seem to find any info on them.

ZiggyTheMuss
02-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Hopefully so that higher levels will stop disrupting Sol A to farm the blocks for plat.

bradburysam
02-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Permafrost has been riddled with toons who clear the whole top end spawn to spawn for the blocks. They must have been making a fortune. Its probably to slow that down as well. IDK.

Chokan
02-10-2019, 04:47 PM
If it's not classic, it shouldn't have been changed.

Jauna
02-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Blocks were fairly common and I too am guilty of having alts in high goblin pop areas whenever I was bored.
Monk in runnyeye (sneak sell and bank woo)
Necro in sola (vendor nearby woo)
jboots Erudite mage in perma

I mean the Bricks and Fine Steel weapons will still make a bored romp through the dungeons kinda worth it but not the greatness it once was

loramin
02-10-2019, 05:39 PM
If it's not classic, it shouldn't have been changed.

That's easily proven false; it wasn't even on the test server until 2002 (which is by definition post-classic):

Test 2002-12-27 15:07 Initial Entry

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemhistory.html?id=10480

Now you could argue that it's hypothetically possible that the item existed in classic, and just no one bothered to tell Allakhazam that until 2002 ... but even if you could make that argument (and it'd be a stretch given how organized and established 'Zam was by then), it seems all but certain that the devs looked at other sources of evidence as well before making this change.

Grizzat
02-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Dang. So many years of players making pp and now real newbies like me will find it harder to gear up through EC.

Para99
02-10-2019, 05:46 PM
That's easily proven false; it wasn't even on the test server until 2002 (which is by definition post-classic):

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemhistory.html?id=10480

I don't think the Lucy history tab existed prior to 2002, or they wiped it and re-started it in 2002. I've looked at hundreds of those tabs and never saw one for 2000-2001. For example, Jade Prod which was well known to exist in early Kunark and was nerfed when Chardok was patched, today for us, doesn't have it's initial entry until 2003.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemhistory.html?id=7254

That said, if they removed the ore it was probably not classic or they would have said so.

loramin
02-10-2019, 06:01 PM
I don't think the Lucy history tab existed prior to 2002, or they wiped it and re-started it in 2002. I've looked at hundreds of those tabs and never saw one for 2000-2001. For example, Jade Prod which was well known to exist in early Kunark and was nerfed when Chardok was patched, today for us, doesn't have it's initial entry until 2003.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemhistory.html?id=7254

That said, if they removed the ore it was probably not classic or they would have said so.

Oh I wasn't aware of that; that certainly does shoot a hole in what I said.

But my larger point remains: the devs don't change things with just one piece (or in this case, one bad example) of evidence.

Raev
02-10-2019, 06:28 PM
Dang. So many years of players making pp and now real newbies like me will find it harder to gear up through EC.

This is nothing compared to invis pulling everything in Kunark to the zone in for 2 years

White_knight
02-10-2019, 06:31 PM
It was hard to xp in Sol A with high level rogues and monks killing all the mobs for ores.

I made 2-2.5k plat going low 30s to 40 in there mostly solo, so I can imagine it was decent plat at higher levels.

A block sold for 50pp, large like 13pp and small 5pp

Hakubi
02-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Just got my mage to 51 the other week and it gets nerfed. Just like I missed seafurries.
It was pretty shit at least with the 49 fire pet anyway, might have been better with the 57 earth muzzled but was only ~750/hr, highly contested most of the time and having to leave parts of the zone up for newbies (most of which were gone fairy quickly due to the wizards and healing through walls), and intense on the fingers not to mention highly boring. Only worth it in the dead of night if you could hold jailer too. Hope you don't ever want a child's tear MQ or any other mudflated things on this box now when they are restricting raw plat generation...

So we are just speculating these changes were never classic? I didn't see anything in the bug report forum.

Para99
02-10-2019, 07:30 PM
So we are just speculating these changes were never classic? I didn't see anything in the bug report forum.

Telin said he looked into Left Goblin Ears on his own, he could have easily found hard evidence that HQ blocks weren't classic while looking for info on the ears.

Even now the the main Zam page has Block of HQ Ore labeled as only being player crafted with expansion:Original and no mention of it ever dropping off of anything.

You don't need to farm raw plat to buy things on this server it's not like there's a shortage of plat for people to buy your farmed items or services. Get your mage to 55 and sell coths for 2k.

turbosilk
02-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Gear up by playing the game vs having others play to gear you

rekreant
02-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Just wait for green homey, then you can have a fair shake. Until then you will never EVER catch up to the fat cats.

rekreant
02-10-2019, 08:15 PM
the devs don't change things with just one piece (or in this case, one bad example) of evidence.

How can you say that for sure though? Are you one of the devs? I havent seen much that details their actual behind the scenes process.

BarackObooma
02-15-2019, 06:52 PM
You don't need to farm raw plat to buy things on this server it's not like there's a shortage of plat for people to buy your farmed items or services. Get your mage to 55 and sell coths for 2k.

Way too late for that. You can no longer bind in TOV so only the mages that are already bound there can sell COTHs.

icedwards
02-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Way too late for that. You can no longer bind in TOV so only the mages that are already bound there can sell COTHs.

Everyone lost their TOV binds. Those mages selling POM COTHs keep their toons at the zone in permanently.

loramin
02-15-2019, 09:07 PM
How can you say that for sure though? Are you one of the devs? I havent seen much that details their actual behind the scenes process.

I'm just going by the past actions of the devs for the half a decade I've been playing here.

You have to remember the entire reason those devs are here is to re-create classic EQ. Not to fuck with players or worry about the economy: just re-creating classic EQ is more than enough on their plate.

BarackObooma
02-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Everyone lost their TOV binds. Those mages selling POM COTHs keep their toons at the zone in permanently.

Yikes! I didn't realize that. I had quit for a year and a half when that changed. I was wondering how they were able to keep there binds. I figured they were grandfathered like the fire pots bound people.

spoof2424
03-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Bind at Bearjumper, 100% Wr bags + str gear, clear clear until bags are full with 5pp plus items, 1200-1500 per hour.
Never heard of a seafury.

Vexenu
03-01-2019, 03:39 PM
I discovered the glory of ore farming on a Mage a few years ago (by accident while bored and camping root nets). Was definitely an easy and risk-free way to make a lot of plat, although painfully boring. Had a bunch of STR gear on my Mage so I could sit at around 200 INT and 160 STR. Made a ton of plat that way clearing out Permafrost while listening to podcasts. Rarely if ever saw anyone else in there doing the same. I guess it was inevitable word would eventually get out about that hot ore money. Shame. Now enterprising young doctors will have to find other hustles.

DinoTriz2
03-01-2019, 04:06 PM
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

HQ Blocks were the only chance for someone (especially melees) to achieve economic mobility.

Now the 1% owns all the plat.

jolanar
03-02-2019, 09:02 AM
On the one hand it sucks they removed them, because it was by far the best way to farm plat as a melee that wasn't level 60.

On the other hand, I spent a ton of time in Sol A in classic and I never remember getting ore that sold for 50p.

Oh well, already farmed my epic and a fungi on those blocks. Suck it new players.

zodium
03-02-2019, 10:01 AM
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

HQ Blocks were the only chance for someone (especially melees) to achieve economic mobility.

Now the 1% owns all the plat.

Not to worry, we will shortly destroy it to recharge our clickies, then no one will have all the plat! :o

Muggens
03-02-2019, 12:12 PM
WHY block of ore, WHY?!

laskje
03-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Might as well nurf the giants too then

GinnasP99
03-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Seems to me like the new item to look for in terms of grinding lower level content is the goblin forged chainmail tunic from droga. Anyone think of something better than this thing at 33ish pp

Legidias
03-03-2019, 02:10 AM
WW giant fort for ~20's mobs that drop all the normal kunark giant loots with chance for forest loops.

elwing
03-03-2019, 02:51 AM
Because classic

DinoTriz2
03-03-2019, 08:28 AM
There's always money in the banana stand

Tethler
03-04-2019, 01:03 AM
I hear the Highkeep guards have a little more pocket change than before. I'm sure those are totally open and available for killing.