PDA

View Full Version : Drama in Highkeep.

supermoonbeam
03-07-2019, 06:33 PM
So I've been here in highkeep killing guards for about 15 levels and was under the impression, and led to believe from others in the zone that you can't camp guard floors and they're all FFA/FTE or whatever. I've seen a few people claim the 4th floor guards and defend it.

What are the rules here? Had I known you could camp an entire floor I would have been doing this from the start but we all just run around flailing are weapons at guards. If I see someone literally sitting on where a guard spawns sure I'll just leave it be, they've made a point. I don't wanna get in anymore heated arguements though let's put this to rest.

EDIT: This probably should have gone under RnF.. i'm not really sure. Dunno how to delete post. Oops.

aaezil
03-07-2019, 07:05 PM
The rules arent really well presented or documented here. Good luck!

Lordgordon
03-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Shut up idiot

SewingMachine
03-07-2019, 07:16 PM
Shut up idiot
Seems like some one has emotional problems.

Wonkie
03-07-2019, 07:18 PM
love to fte lvl 30 trash mobs

aaezil
03-07-2019, 07:33 PM
We should put them on 16 hour windows and add fte text to them to discourage people socking for easy exp

Emerald_keep
03-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Back many years ago when I did HHK grinds, it was common etiquette to respect other players camps if they were keeping a floor locked down. If someone is doing 3rd and 4th completely, I'd consider it fair for them to give up the 3rd floor, should someone want it.

I Felt Nostalgic
03-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Too many entitled assholes that play EQ.

Disease
03-07-2019, 11:04 PM
If you can hold down the spawns and kill them as they spawn, its your camp. If you cant, its not your camp.

aaezil
03-07-2019, 11:31 PM
If you can hold down the spawns and kill them as they spawn, its your camp. If you cant, its not your camp.

Incorrect (outdoor zone rules)

elwing
03-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Yep, outdoor zone, meaning in theory a camp is one mob... Which is a bit ridiculous for goblins... But well so yeah ffa should apply except if ones claim a specific guard...

DMN
03-07-2019, 11:49 PM
"camp" is somewhat loosely defined. I'd say if the guards are all in the same room, or all in the same hallway, then you can camp all of them. You could technically contend one of the spqwns if they are more spread out forcing the other person to pick a place to be "their camp". Keep in mind it's a small server and it could be considered quite rude to contend a camp when someone is keeping up with all the spawns just fine.

Randarn
03-08-2019, 01:15 AM

Basically this, I would agree. I don't get butthurt if someone kills something I couldn't kill in time etc.

Only sure fire way to hold a camp in HHK is to call 1 guard and sit on his spawn. That's how it was on live..people literally camped just 1 guard each lol. Get like 40 people in the zone.

Legidias
03-08-2019, 01:33 AM
Reset Highkeep, get them ears out

Sacer
03-08-2019, 01:36 AM
Are you guys sure highkeep is considered outdoor rules? Are mistmoore/city of mist/unrest/karnor castle/veeshan's peak/plane of mischief/plane of fear/plane of hate/plane of growth FFA zones too?

No...

"In general, a player should maintain a presence at or very near the spawn of the camp they are intending to hold, while keeping the placeholders of any relevant spawns dead. It is allowed to 'camp' multiple areas if there are no other players interested in doing so, however if another party is interested in moving into one of your camps, you must chose which one to keep and maintain your presence there."

aaezil
03-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Are you guys sure highkeep is considered outdoor rules? Are mistmoore/city of mist/unrest/karnor castle/veeshan's peak/plane of mischief/plane of fear/plane of hate/plane of growth FFA zones too?

No...

"In general, a player should maintain a presence at or very near the spawn of the camp they are intending to hold, while keeping the placeholders of any relevant spawns dead. It is allowed to 'camp' multiple areas if there are no other players interested in doing so, however if another party is interested in moving into one of your camps, you must chose which one to keep and maintain your presence there."

Its 1 mob outside.. or whats in your immediate line of sight. Other mobs are fte

aaezil
03-08-2019, 10:00 AM
The rules here are not well documented or presented. In most cases the “real rules” are hidden in a decades worth of gm replies in forum threads like this one... good luck finding them! Oh that and the rules will change based on how the specific gm feels that day also in some cases so look forward to inconsistency!

The golden rule of play nice/dont be a dick is the most important thing here though which is subjective but still a good thing.

Henlolizar
03-08-2019, 10:42 AM
While I acknowledge that HK is outdoors, and therefore no established camps blah blah blah, HK guards, in my experience, is most harmonious with each floor, besides the first floor, as camps. The first floor has too many people passing through, snagging guards opportunistically, for one person to claim as their own.

And as for goblins abiding by the outdoor zone rule--come on... Raise your hand if you respect the autistic lvl 50+ taking goblins from the goblin group in basement and lawyerquesting when challenged. Although, now that ears are nerfed, this might not be a thing anymore...

kotton05
03-08-2019, 10:42 AM
Pretty sure the golden rules are don’t two box and don’t kill a mob you don’t have fte on:-P

Legidias
03-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Wrong. Golden rule is to bully people with ' I HAD FRAPS RUNNING PREPARE FOR BAN'

aaezil
03-08-2019, 11:08 AM
I have “prepare to not play here anymore” tattooed on my buttcheeck its true

DinoTriz2
03-08-2019, 12:19 PM
THIS SOLO ROGUE KEEPS PICKPOCKETING OUR GOBLIN EARS, I KNOW IT!

dude, chill out i'm just training up my 1 hand slash...

NO, I SAW THE FAILED PICKPOCKET MESSAGE! I'M PERTISHINING

Wonkie
03-08-2019, 01:08 PM
isn't unrest outdoor? you can wolf form

no camps there either eh?

aaezil
03-08-2019, 01:11 PM
isn't unrest outdoor? you can wolf form

no camps there either eh?

Can claim line of sight mobs outdoors so can still claim like MR / FP / basement / top hags

Rimitto
03-08-2019, 01:50 PM
I got kill sniped 3 times the other day and I was nowhere near highkeep.
Welcome to Everquest in the 1999 Era. :rolleyes:

The way I view it, any attempt to cower behind the logic that you "own" a monster is an elated statement of your own ignorance.
While a person camping a rare monster does have a "right" in theory, there's no real governing faction to say who has "the right" and who has "justice" on their side.
I already instantly know that someone is going to jump on that statemnt, but let me argue this statement. How True is this game to D&D to you? in D&D you could do anything and everything, and everquest was designed in a way to simulate D&D. Trying to drag someone/anyone down into the ruleset of "no you can't kill that because X is going to kill that" not only breaks the storyline of a D&D script, but breaks the illusion of fantasy within the game world as well.
tl;dr, You can be respectful or an asshole, that's how the game was designed to be played. If they didn't want people doing this stuff, they would have put code in to prevent it, just like runescape.

Tethler
03-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Clearly the answer here is to meet up and roll for each guard.

I Felt Nostalgic
03-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Clearly the answer here is to meet up at roll for each guard.

Or start some sort of rotation where groups are not allowed to camp a specific spot for more than 2 hours?

aaezil
03-08-2019, 09:55 PM
I got kill sniped 3 times the other day and I was nowhere near highkeep.
Welcome to Everquest in the 1999 Era. :rolleyes:

The way I view it, any attempt to cower behind the logic that you "own" a monster is an elated statement of your own ignorance.
While a person camping a rare monster does have a "right" in theory, there's no real governing faction to say who has "the right" and who has "justice" on their side.
I already instantly know that someone is going to jump on that statemnt, but let me argue this statement. How True is this game to D&D to you? in D&D you could do anything and everything, and everquest was designed in a way to simulate D&D. Trying to drag someone/anyone down into the ruleset of "no you can't kill that because X is going to kill that" not only breaks the storyline of a D&D script, but breaks the illusion of fantasy within the game world as well.
tl;dr, You can be respectful or an asshole, that's how the game was designed to be played. If they didn't want people doing this stuff, they would have put code in to prevent it, just like runescape.

Rambling of someone who failed to read the play nice policy or server rules. Nothing to see here....

Ravager
03-09-2019, 06:48 AM
We should put them on 16 hour windows and add fte text to them to discourage people socking for easy exp
lol, they'd do it anyway and still keep the spawns locked down and pretend it makes their computer game playing abilities exceptional.

Darkath
03-09-2019, 06:54 AM
It's actually pretty simple, it's all based on rational consistency.

If you consider it's OK to have camps such as nobles or goblins, then there is absolutely no reason as to why guard camps by floor shouldn't be a thing. If you see someone taking over several floors worth of guards, I would consider it a play nice policy to split it among other people interested.

Even for 1st floor. It's very easy to manage a kill rotation that will allow someone to have 9 guards in lock down constantly. If someone walked by and aggroed, so be it. The camp owner should have been there to kill the mob spawned as it spawned, otherwise that's the definition of not being able to hold a camp down...

Rimitto
03-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Rambling of someone who failed to read the play nice policy or server rules. Nothing to see here....
Rambling of someone who failed to read any D&D manual or dev inspiration of EQ. Nothing to see here.... :rolleyes:

Pryda
03-12-2019, 03:10 AM
Hahaha... oh God I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm on vacation right now but this was because of me.

A friend I made earlier that day and I were camping the 4th floor keeping it entirely locked down. As people showed up we would invite them so they could join us. Our group was 3-4 people most of the day. Then OP then showed up suddenly and runs in and - I shit you not - yells that guards are FTE and we better not steal anything he tags first. It was like a fuckin' macro he had ready or something, lol. He didn't ask. He didn't camp check. He didnt talk to us. He didnt ask to join. He just ran in like fuckin John Cena or some shit with a microphone.

Our group was camped right outside the hidden hall opening which is a central location on the 4th. We were each pulling from a different direction to that central spot where all 3 of our pets were camped. We told him, nicely, the floor was camped by our group and we had been holding it for a while. Our group grew fluctuated from a duo to 3-4 because we happily invited people that came up looking for exp even though we easily kept all the spawns down ourselves. We were legit nice and respectful to everyone while holding the camp. We would have even invited this jackass had he not just barged in thinking he was hot shit and declaring the 4th was now his jurisdiction.

Once we made it clear that our group was camping the floor and he needed to move elsewhere... God, the desperate pleas to OOC began. Sometimes looking for support. Sometimes trying to convince people that he was in the right. The people who had been in zone for a while told him to act like an adult and respect our camp as we had been there a while. Some people tried to explain to him that he was wrong -- that is, his belief that our group couldn't camp the guards specifically and nothing else about the situation mattered. Then someone told him to stop being a beta cuck making cringeworthy ooc statements. That guy must have been from Red, lol.

After his time in OOC, he moved into the hidden hallway like 10 feet from us, right on the other side of the hidden wall, and declared in OOC emphatically that the entire hidden hallway, DE necro chick included, was now his exclusive camp. Because our group was pulling to a spot a little down around a corner, and not killing right at the spawn point, our camp was considered forfeited and vacant and thus claimed by him. A true hippy squatter indeed.

I told him to fuck off at that point so he went back to rambling about how we were wrong about camps and because it was an outdoor zone he could take whatever he wanted and blah blah blah. The reason he gave me was something like he had been leveling here for 10 levels and he heard someone say that they heard someone say that you couldn't camp anything in an outdoor zone. Or something ridiculous like that. His cousin's roommate's e-girlfriend's Uncle's coworker. Or something. We could make a weekly podcast with all the dumb shit people do and say in Highkeep. Luckily most people are cool though.

We eventually invited him to our group just so he'd stop bitching. Almost every encounter we had that day was cordial, with the exception of two different solo monks, go figure. Both incessantly bitched in ooc. One joined us. The other spent his time trying to take our spawns making sure to yell FTE each time.

There was no respect. No communication. No asking. Just... I'm here and this is mine now because reasons. And now I see this thread. LOL. What a little cunt. Dude: you showed up and acted like you owned the place and the world owed you. You were a complete prick. Then once we didn't just let you walk in and have your way, you started trying to gather support in OOC like you were trying to turn the zone against us or something. People didn't agree with you then - they mostly told you it was a camp and our group had been there - and the rest told you to act like an adult and respect what other players are doing in the game. Then when OOC didn't work you came crying to the forums where, again, no one agrees with you. Grow the fuck up -- the world does not revolve around you. FFS...

It's unfortunate blue doesn't have the same player dispute system as red. Though I imagine this fella would have quit long ago in that case. Sorry for such a long reply. I'm long winded... but this was ridiculous-funny.

Anyways. I'm a level 42 Necro. I've had mostly good experiences so far on this server, even in Highkeep. Yes, this is my main, and even I know how to not be a cunt to other people and make friends. I used to play red for a bit, but I didnt like the ghost town. Now I'm here. I've met some cool people and had some good times. Highkeep has been great for me. I've gotten great exp and I've made some friends. OP could learn a thing or two. Behave like a decent human. Respect other people. Be nice. Have fun. Boom, now you've made friends and getting great exp.

To my Highkeep pals I've made... I'll be back around the 22nd ready to grind my way up.

Prydaa. Necro and shit.

Hibbs
03-12-2019, 03:24 AM
He just ran in like fuckin John Cena or some shit with a microphone.

Logs!

... Hey dude :)

Tethler
03-12-2019, 04:03 AM
Rambling of someone who failed to read any D&D manual or dev inspiration of EQ. Nothing to see here.... :rolleyes:

You say that as if it makes any kind of difference for the server rules of P99. :rolleyes:

Imago
03-12-2019, 04:48 AM
What are the rules here? Had I known you could camp an entire floor I would have been doing this from the start but we all just run around flailing are weapons at guards. If I see someone literally sitting on where a guard spawns sure I'll just leave it be, they've made a point.

Come to Red.

The rules are:

1) Take what XP camps you want, when you want, how you want.

2) Defend them as necessary. They are yours, right? Destroy those you can and ally with those you cannot.

Tethler
03-12-2019, 05:30 AM
Come to Red.

The rules are:

1) Take what XP camps you want, when you want, how you want.

2) Defend them as necessary. They are yours, right? Destroy those you can and ally with those you cannot.

All camps are open on red. There is noone to take them from and noone to take them from you.

Bristlebaner
03-12-2019, 08:29 AM
We've got some young lawyers coming up.

Ironwind
03-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Too many entitled assholes that play EQ.

I've only been back a month and a half since 2000, but this completely sums up my EQ experience as a whole since being back. Sad really. Glad someone else gets it.