PDA

View Full Version : Server players limit?

branamil
03-14-2019, 03:36 PM
The server should have a cap of players because most players are really annoying and there would be more stuff available to do.

indiscriminate_hater
03-14-2019, 04:00 PM
artificial player cap would just make it harder for the decent folks to get on, and so the proportion of "really annoying" players would go up

filed under bad idea

bigjeff100
03-14-2019, 04:03 PM
bush knocked down the towers??

Legidias
03-14-2019, 04:20 PM
Limit it to 1 so it can be like red

enjchanter
03-14-2019, 04:25 PM
artificial player cap would just make it harder for the decent folks to get on, and so the proportion of "really annoying" players would go up

filed under bad idea

Balimon
03-14-2019, 05:27 PM
No offense, but this is a terrible idea. This population is as classic as it gets.

Ennewi
03-14-2019, 05:54 PM
https://youtu.be/uSudkID3zJM

Rathnir
03-14-2019, 06:04 PM
This population is as classic as it gets.
Pretty sure the live servers ended up splitting into secondary servers to deal with population around late 2000, early 2001 (suspiciously, the time frame we are locked to).

http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Information-Servers_and_Versions

Splitting servers is classic. A "limit" is not, but splitting servers is, absolutely.

~2000 nerds on a server was a difficult population to deal with in the year 2000 when no one knew anything. Over 2000 nerds on a server in 2019 where everyone knows everything? And everyone has farmed up an army of alts, and has no new content to move to?

In realness tho, the same couple hundred neck beards that clog up this server would figure ways to simultaneous ruin both servers, if they were available.

DMN
03-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Right now we are sitting right about where the more popular servers were in classic EQ. I think if we ever see a massive spike with close to 3K at primetime, then something might be worth considering. I think a reasonable chunk will split off when WoW classic comes out.

Balimon
03-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Pretty sure the live servers ended up splitting into secondary servers to deal with population around late 2000, early 2001 (suspiciously, the time frame we are locked to).

http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Information-Servers_and_Versions

Splitting servers is classic. A "limit" is not, but splitting servers is, absolutely.

~2000 nerds on a server was a difficult population to deal with in the year 2000 when no one knew anything. Over 2000 nerds on a server in 2019 where everyone knows everything? And everyone has farmed up an army of alts, and has no new content to move to?

In realness tho, the same couple hundred neck beards that clog up this server would figure ways to simultaneous ruin both servers, if they were available.

You're not wrong, but those splits didn't happen until kunark. The biggest difference is the amount of 60s and alts 60s. 2000 pop is healthy and normal even after a server split. On the rathe everything was camped just like it is today after the split. Limiting players only discourages people joining the community AND your assuming that this high pop will endure, it likely will not.

Bardp1999
03-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Less than 90 players on Red during prime time - thriving

Quizlop
03-14-2019, 08:23 PM
I was under the impression that p99 had a 2000 player cap. Is that not the case?

Maschenny
03-14-2019, 08:24 PM

That's not true. There were server limits during classic. I remember not being able to log on on busy nights due to the server being at capacity.

America
03-14-2019, 08:37 PM
did you mean 2001 for that last option????

DMN
03-14-2019, 08:42 PM
That's not true. There were server limits during classic. I remember not being able to log on on busy nights due to the server being at capacity.

I somehow doubt that. I played on Fennin ro(one of the most popular ofthe original servers) since day 1 and never had that happen. I'm guessing what you experienced was a local zone being overcrowded and having connectivity issues. There problems with this constantly in high population zones like lower guk. If there were caps it would be a massive issue raiding guilds would have been cognizant of. it's possible they eventually added hard caps, but I never heard of that happening and would have been post velious where I highly doubt they had issues with high enough populations to even hit caps.

Maschenny
03-14-2019, 08:46 PM
I somehow doubt that. I played on Fennin ro(one of the most popular ofthe original servers) since day 1 and never had that happen. I'm guessing what you experienced was a local zone being overcrowded and having connectivity issues. There problems with this constantly in high population zones like lower guk. If there were caps it would be a massive issue raiding guilds would have been cognizant of. it's possible they eventually added hard caps, but I never heard of that happening and would have been post velious where I highly doubt they had issues with high enough populations to even hit caps.

I was on fenin ro as well. And i'm not mistaken. I was able to spam the button and get on when the server population ticked down. I believe the limit was actually 2k. Also, there was a clear message saying that the server was at capacity.

DMN
03-14-2019, 09:20 PM
I was on fenin ro as well. And i'm not mistaken. I was able to spam the button and get on when the server population ticked down. I believe the limit was actually 2k. Also, there was a clear message saying that the server was at capacity.

99.99% sure what you remember is trying log into an overcrowded zone and the zone just pooping you right back out. I suspect you are conflating this experience with some other memory of an MMO. Like WoW or something (server full. 750 players in queue. Estimated wait time 1 hour and 48 minutes).

HotCarlSagan
03-14-2019, 09:27 PM
game is too crowded lately. Now I find myself playing BDO again (wtf???)

Muggens
03-15-2019, 06:26 AM
Lol at the influx of WoW babies crying because influx of WoW babies

bigjeff100
03-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Watup fellow Fennin Ro'ers

Gozuk
03-15-2019, 06:20 PM
A big pop at server select turns me on

wtsgoodtime
03-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Option 1: Increase spawn rate of raid and quest mobs, maybe spawn rate scales w/ population
Option 2: Allow free and unlimited transfer between red and blue?
Option 3: Allow paid (with plat) and/or locked to server for X time transfer between red and blue?
That'd let the population split into two buckets as it sees fit without people feeling like they're wasting their time on a dead server.
If not red, then replace the above options with green... it'd suck for people already on red if we disrupt their desired gameplay and economy.

I log into red and can't find a group and don't want to solo to 50. However, I log into blue and don't want to sock everything... skill should determine your ability to get end game items, not sitting waiting for something to spawn in some massive window.

As far as overpopulation for exping, I think people need to spread out more... there are plenty of great and underutilized zones to level in.

Nexii
03-15-2019, 07:04 PM
Blue server is overpopulated for sure

Tethler
03-15-2019, 09:13 PM
I'd be in favor of a cap if the server started DCing tunnel dwellers to make room for people who play the game. =p

Legidias
03-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Id prefer if they randomly DC'd ToV instead

beargryllz
03-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Why no 69?

Oh wait this isn't for red server

Ravager
03-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Full zones are going unused. Not crappy zones either. Perfectly good dungeon crawling zones with decent enough loot to make plat while you level. Just because you can't farm the one thing you want, it doesn't mean the server is overpopulated. It's never been easier to find and build groups and great gear can be had very cheaply.

Zeush
03-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Blue server is overpopulated for sure
I remember this as a complaint back in 1999-2000 on live. Players wanted to scale the spawns with population. Part of the fun was getting word that a spawn was up and gathering the guild to rush and claim the dungeon run to the spawn. These were the most intense and fun times I had in EQ. High pop creates competition, competition can create friendships, friendships can create guilds of like minds to compete and get in the mix.

I'd be in favor of a cap if the server started DCing tunnel dwellers to make room for people who play the game. =p
This type of complaint was common also, which is why they implemented the player turned NPC marketplace. Introducing the Player Marketplace was the start of the dismantling of player social interaction. Auctioning in EC IS part of the game. While it was not intended by the developers, it was a player created tool which drove the economy. You worked for your Plat by manually selling instead of hoarding it on a mule and having it sell for you. This was Devs giving in to lazy nerds. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, it took away meaningful player interactions.

Maelfyn
03-16-2019, 12:55 PM
The server should have a cap of players because most players are really annoying and there would be more stuff available to do.

Why are there so many other people in my MMORPG? Are you sure this genre is for you?

I will not rest until we hit 3k concurrent.

Zeush
03-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Why are there so many other people in my MMORPG? Are you sure this genre is for you?

I will not rest until we hit 3k concurrent.

I have my streamers and champagne ready :D

redhorse
03-17-2019, 08:37 AM

I was on bristlebane. Not sure about how busy Fenin was but BB was home to Club Fu, the Arch Overseers, Ring of Valor and more. It was crowded both in terms of raw population and at the high end. I also 100% remember the sever too packed log in queues. And no it was not just for one zone but for the whole server.

The question is when exactly this was. I didn’t start to get hard core until late velious, and I don’t remember if those queues were in the Velious era. They might have been, but it could have been POP also. Which makes sense since that is when all the major server splits started, and SOE simultaneously started figuring out they could monetize server transfers.

Tethler
03-18-2019, 01:59 AM
This type of complaint was common also, which is why they implemented the player turned NPC marketplace. Introducing the Player Marketplace was the start of the dismantling of player social interaction. Auctioning in EC IS part of the game. While it was not intended by the developers, it was a player created tool which drove the economy. You worked for your Plat by manually selling instead of hoarding it on a mule and having it sell for you. This was Devs giving in to lazy nerds. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, it took away meaningful player interactions.

Nah, haggling with some nerd who wants to get every last plat he can for his item that there is already 3542254 of on the server isn't a meaningful social interaction. It's wasting my time when I could be grouping with others and having fun. The bazaar was a godsend.

Tethler
03-18-2019, 02:02 AM
I was on bristlebane. Not sure about how busy Fenin was but BB was home to Club Fu, the Arch Overseers, Ring of Valor and more. It was crowded both in terms of raw population and at the high end. I also 100% remember the sever too packed log in queues. And no it was not just for one zone but for the whole server.

The question is when exactly this was. I didn’t start to get hard core until late velious, and I don’t remember if those queues were in the Velious era. They might have been, but it could have been POP also. Which makes sense since that is when all the major server splits started, and SOE simultaneously started figuring out they could monetize server transfers.

I remember server queues in Velious era for sure. I often played at pay-by-the-hour LAN shops with some buddies and seeing the queue pop up was money down the drain.

Pyrocat
03-18-2019, 02:19 AM
I remember when we were wondering if we'd even break 100 players active.

DMN
03-18-2019, 02:22 AM
Certainly possible they added them in the second half of velious. I mentally checked out of the game around the time, and often spent my playing time in other MMOs like DAoC and AO. I think fennin also split into druzzil at the time and hence didn't have the same degree of overpopulation issues anymore.

I Felt Nostalgic
03-18-2019, 03:26 AM
I voted no limit cuz I like to make 'em say ugh!

Muggens
03-18-2019, 07:19 AM
Nah nahnah nah!

Rygar
03-18-2019, 09:25 AM
I actually did 3 seconds of research instead of relying on my memory. Seems like there was a capacity limit to the login/ chat server, but didn't see any mention of the actual server having hard caps.

Some discussion was here (https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/Server$20capacity/alt.games.everquest/61YHNX7ccP8).

So basically when all servers were down there was a limit to how many could sit at the server screen and get into world the second servers were up.

Guessing people are remembering a capacity message after typing in password, not from clicking on their server.

Other discussion here (https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/Server$20capacity/alt.games.everquest/FCJ1uhMWmgI).

redhorse
03-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Rygar, that sounds plausible. I am always open to constructive criticism! Especially if I can learn something from it. Unfortunately, from your post I cannot. :confused: I clicked your two links. The first produces attachment 1, the second produces attachment 2.

I appreciate the effort man, but your 3 seconds of searching yielded my 3 minutes of trying, resulting in absolutely nothing. Thanks though!

Cilraaz
03-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Remove the "/m" from the links to change them from mobile to desktop.

Link 1 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/Server$20capacity/alt.games.everquest/61YHNX7ccP8)
Link 2 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/Server$20capacity/alt.games.everquest/FCJ1uhMWmgI)

Rygar
03-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Remove the "/m" from the links to change them from mobile to desktop.

Link 1 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/Server$20capacity/alt.games.everquest/61YHNX7ccP8)
Link 2 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/Server$20capacity/alt.games.everquest/FCJ1uhMWmgI)

Aye sorry, posted from the crapper.

DiogenesThaDogg
03-18-2019, 11:27 AM
No offense, but this is a terrible idea. This population is as classic as it gets.

the population may be classic but people having 3+ alts each and everyone spending years in the limbo of velious end game is not necessarily classic.

Zeush
03-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Aye sorry, posted from the crapper.

Ahhh, a Throne of Knowledge thinker :D

Zeush
03-18-2019, 12:33 PM
the population may be classic but people having 3+ alts each and everyone spending years in the limbo of velious end game is not necessarily classic.

Delete all your toons and start over. No more limbo ...

To me, Project1999 is kind of like a museum of sorts. Those that lived it live can relive it again, I am one of them as many of you are. It is also a place for kids and young adults who were too young or not even born yet to play the MMO that injected serious life into or some may say, started the mmorpg genre.
If you need more than Velious, EQLive is up and running with the rest of the expansions after Velious. This is probably why Daybreak doesn't mind P99.

enesis
03-18-2019, 01:05 PM
If we add a population cap we should limit the number of people online from each guild too! Maybe no more than 5% from any one guild? Haha

Hrothgar
03-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Cap it at 30,000. Encourage more and more people to play. Fellspine can be a group encounter. King SHOULD be a full group fiasco, as he drops the god item. Meeting people and exploring is what scratches that Nostalgia itch.

Instancing could solve some of this, but that would invalidate the whales that have 8 end-game BiS alts, perhaps making filthy casuals more competitive and corrupting the EQonomy in the meantime. Blah-dy blah. I've always been in favor of instances, but I also have a life outside Norrath, and the two are roads that rarely intersect.

DMN
03-18-2019, 06:24 PM

But you got the classic experience before you got to that point. That's just the bonus package, baby.

Rygar
03-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Cap it at 30,000. Encourage more and more people to play. Fellspine can be a group encounter. King SHOULD be a full group fiasco, as he drops the god item. Meeting people and exploring is what scratches that Nostalgia itch.

Instancing could solve some of this, but that would invalidate the whales that have 8 end-game BiS alts, perhaps making filthy casuals more competitive and corrupting the EQonomy in the meantime. Blah-dy blah. I've always been in favor of instances, but I also have a life outside Norrath, and the two are roads that rarely intersect.

EQonomy... EQonomics... this man just spawned the latest buzz word.